Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rosemary

We do real estate studies in Las Vegas, and rosemary is a VERY common
landscaping plant. This is dark green, looks like fuzzy tail on an animal,
and has purple flowers.

My question is: Is rosemary all edible, or are there varieties grown for
human consumption?

I saw Gordon Ramsey use it pulled through a hole in a fowl breast, then the
breast was grilled, and the rosemary removed. The smell from just pulling
it stayed on my hands for quite a while, and in the car interior. Sure
would be an easy plant to grow and harvest.

This year, I believe I shall make a raised plot for that and other herbs.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote on Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:33:11 -0800:

> My question is: Is rosemary all edible, or are there varieties grown
> for human consumption?

> I saw Gordon Ramsey use it pulled through a hole in a fowl
> breast, then the breast was grilled, and the rosemary removed.
> The smell from just pulling it stayed on my hands for quite a while,
> and in the car interior. Sure would be an easy plant
> to grow and harvest.

> This year, I believe I shall make a raised plot for that and
> other herbs.

The leaves are edible but the stems are very stringy. The best use for
the stem is to remove a whole rosemary flavoring sprig.

I have heard that rosemary blends well with orange in some desserts but
I have never tried the combination.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2010 10:33 AM, Steve B wrote:
> We do real estate studies in Las Vegas, and rosemary is a VERY common
> landscaping plant. This is dark green, looks like fuzzy tail on an animal,
> and has purple flowers.
>
> My question is: Is rosemary all edible, or are there varieties grown for
> human consumption?
>
> I saw Gordon Ramsey use it pulled through a hole in a fowl breast, then the
> breast was grilled, and the rosemary removed. The smell from just pulling
> it stayed on my hands for quite a while, and in the car interior. Sure
> would be an easy plant to grow and harvest.
>
> This year, I believe I shall make a raised plot for that and other herbs.
>
> Steve

It is the same plant. I live in the northeast and have never succeeded
in having it grow more than a foot tall in a pot that is brought in
during the winter. It does flower like crazy after it is brought inside.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-08, Steve B > wrote:

> I saw Gordon Ramsey use it pulled through a hole in a fowl breast, then the
> breast was grilled, and the rosemary removed. The smell from just pulling
> it stayed on my hands for quite a while, and in the car interior. Sure
> would be an easy plant to grow and harvest.

Yes, a little goes a long ways. You can find little foot high plants
at any nursery. They sell 'em as mini-xmas trees during the holidays.
They're very hardy. You have to really screw up to kill one, even as
a house plant.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 8, 7:33*am, "Steve B" > wrote:
Snip...
> This year, I believe I shall make a raised plot for that and other herbs.

Be careful where you plant it because it will take over. Do know that
Rosemary does make a very fast growing ground cover and seems to
thrive forever. At least it does here in my California High Desert.
A landscaping friend of mine planted Rosemary in an already raised bed
all the way around the corner of a parking lot bordering a small
shopping center here. Within less than six months the plants had
spread out and grown to over three feet tall, near to completely
blocking the center's store fronts from traffic view. A suggestion
for growing it where you don't want it to take over is to pot it for
containment.
....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:33:11 -0800, Steve B wrote:

> We do real estate studies in Las Vegas, and rosemary is a VERY common
> landscaping plant. This is dark green, looks like fuzzy tail on an animal,
> and has purple flowers.
>
> My question is: Is rosemary all edible, or are there varieties grown for
> human consumption?

I use the rosemary growing right outside the grocery store. It's
much more tender with new growth from constant trimming than my
overgrown bush at home.

I don't use the rosemary right outside the veterinarian's office
next door, though. If you know what I mean.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:
> On Mar 8, 7:33 am, "Steve B" > wrote:
> Snip...
>> This year, I believe I shall make a raised plot for that and other herbs.

> Be careful where you plant it because it will take over. Do know that
> Rosemary does make a very fast growing ground cover and seems to
> thrive forever. At least it does here in my California High Desert.
> A landscaping friend of mine planted Rosemary in an already raised bed
> all the way around the corner of a parking lot bordering a small
> shopping center here. Within less than six months the plants had
> spread out and grown to over three feet tall, near to completely
> blocking the center's store fronts from traffic view. A suggestion
> for growing it where you don't want it to take over is to pot it for
> containment.
> ...Picky

Same here in wet Louisiana. Rosemary will grow from a small potted plant
to a four x four behemoth in just a few years. I use it mostly in fish
and fowl dishes and occasionally fresh with fresh fruit slices in a
salad. When shish kebobbing use the limb as stick for the meat and veggies.

I usually cut one down and pull it up every three to four years and
start over as they tend to be the bully in the herb garden. The leaves
also dehydrate well and can be stored in sealed containers for a good
bit. Be aware that you use less of the dried leaves than the fresh for
the same amount of flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:33:11 -0800, "Steve B"
> wrote:

>We do real estate studies in Las Vegas, and rosemary is a VERY common
>landscaping plant. This is dark green, looks like fuzzy tail on an animal,
>and has purple flowers.
>
>My question is: Is rosemary all edible, or are there varieties grown for
>human consumption?
>
>I saw Gordon Ramsey use it pulled through a hole in a breast,

Hmmm, pierced nipples come to mind... ya know, I don't like rosemary
and I find pierced nipples gross, but I may make an exception. hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message
> We do real estate studies in Las Vegas, and rosemary is a VERY common
> landscaping plant. This is dark green, looks like fuzzy tail on an
> animal, and has purple flowers.
>
> My question is: Is rosemary all edible, or are there varieties grown for
> human consumption?
>
> I saw Gordon Ramsey use it pulled through a hole in a fowl breast, then
> the breast was grilled, and the rosemary removed. The smell from just
> pulling it stayed on my hands for quite a while, and in the car interior.
> Sure would be an easy plant to grow and harvest.
>
> This year, I believe I shall make a raised plot for that and other herbs.
>
> Steve

We use slivers of Rosemary in certain meats. Poke a .75" hole with very
narrow knife, and insert 1" Rosemary twig with stem. Remove after cooking.

There is a special marriage between Rosemary and lamb. A medium rare roast
leg of lamb always gets Rosemary slivers as above, small slivers of garlic
inserted the same way, and kosher or sea salt on the surface. American lamb
is much much preferred to New Zealand or Australian lamb. It's much more
delicate in taste. It's larger, and costs more, but it's worth every penny.
Always, always, roast with the bone in. It adds greatly to the flavor. I
alwys roast indirectly on the Weber Performer charcoal grill, turning the
leg 90 degrees every 15 minutes. Rest after reaching an internal temp. of
120 in warming oven for at least 10 minutes. Bernaise sauce goes very well,
though its au jus is just fine.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:33:11 -0800, "Steve B"
> wrote:

>We do real estate studies in Las Vegas, and rosemary is a VERY common
>landscaping plant. This is dark green, looks like fuzzy tail on an animal,
>and has purple flowers.
>
>My question is: Is rosemary all edible, or are there varieties grown for
>human consumption?
>
>I saw Gordon Ramsey use it pulled through a hole in a fowl breast, then the
>breast was grilled, and the rosemary removed. The smell from just pulling
>it stayed on my hands for quite a while, and in the car interior. Sure
>would be an easy plant to grow and harvest.
>
>This year, I believe I shall make a raised plot for that and other herbs.
>
>Steve

Forgot to add:

My Rosemary is about 5' tall and about the same diameter. I set it
out when we moved here in 2004 and it was about 6" tall. I have two
more in large pots that are going into the ground as soon as I can get
around to it.

The stems make wonderful skewers.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

> I saw Gordon Ramsey use it pulled through a hole in a fowl breast,
> then the breast was grilled, and the rosemary removed. The smell
> from just pulling it stayed on my hands for quite a while, and in the
> car interior. Sure would be an easy plant to grow and harvest.
>
> This year, I believe I shall make a raised plot for that and other
> herbs.

It's very easy to grow and tends to grow wide, as many others answered. The
plant behind my home is there since 1998 and has endured many snowfalls,
even a very thick one that plied it horizontally when it was just a meter
high.
I use it as a sprig to remove, usually in roasting meat, poultry or fish.
Otherwise I remove the leaves from the stem and finely mince them with a
rounded-blade knife, that way they can go wherever, usually I use it like
this for oven baked potatoes.
A nice thing about rosemary is "salamoia bolognese", a dry mix based mostly
on salt, finely minced rosemary and sage and crushed garlic, all minced with
a knife and then worked with mortar and pestle. If closed in a glass jar it
can keep for some months. The proportions can vary, usually salt is about a
good 90% of the total and rosemary is the second ingredient in quantity.
It's used mainly for cold-cuts preparation and salting but it's a very
interesting thing to have on the table and in the kitchen along with salt
and pepper; one can find thousands of uses for it as a flavored salt both
for cooking and serving.
--
ViLco
Don't think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

> We use slivers of Rosemary in certain meats. Poke a .75" hole with
> very narrow knife, and insert 1" Rosemary twig with stem. Remove
> after cooking.
>
> There is a special marriage between Rosemary and lamb. A medium rare
> roast leg of lamb always gets Rosemary slivers as above, small
> slivers of garlic inserted the same way, and kosher or sea salt on
> the surface.

How true, when I oven-roast lamb I always use rosemary, usually two to four
sprigs for a whole leg.
--
ViLco
Don't think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-08, ViLco > wrote:

> How true, when I oven-roast lamb I always use rosemary, usually two to four
> sprigs for a whole leg.

I recently tried a loaf of rosemary sourdough bread. Not bad. Lawdy
knows they didn't need much rosemary.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
>Steve B wrote:
>
>> We do real estate studies in Las Vegas, and rosemary is a VERY common
>> landscaping plant. This is dark green, looks like fuzzy tail on an animal,
>> and has purple flowers.
>>
>> My question is: Is rosemary all edible, or are there varieties grown for
>> human consumption?

>I use the rosemary growing right outside the grocery store. It's
>much more tender with new growth from constant trimming than my
>overgrown bush at home.
>
>I don't use the rosemary right outside the veterinarian's office
>next door, though. If you know what I mean.

Yeah, the dwarf would prefer the rosemary growing in front of the
grocery store that the drunken drug crazed beaner wetbacks **** on all
night... the sqwartz really enjoys that extra zippy tang... ordinary
dog **** can't hold a candle to Colt 45 pee. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:33:11 -0800, "Steve B"
> wrote:

> We do real estate studies in Las Vegas, and rosemary is a VERY common
> landscaping plant. This is dark green, looks like fuzzy tail on an animal,
> and has purple flowers.
>
> My question is: Is rosemary all edible, or are there varieties grown for
> human consumption?

I've never heard of inedible rosemary. There is a low growing,
spreading, landscape variety with shorter "leaves" - but it's edible.
I made the mistake of planting one of those when I was not cooking
rosemary smart. Pulled it out a couple of years later when I realized
I could have an upright rosemary plant with longer leaves, which is
much easier if you're planning to take them off the stem to chop.

> I saw Gordon Ramsey use it pulled through a hole in a fowl breast, then the
> breast was grilled, and the rosemary removed. The smell from just pulling
> it stayed on my hands for quite a while, and in the car interior. Sure
> would be an easy plant to grow and harvest.

It's easier to grow than you think. During winter rains, take some
tip cuttings (maybe 4 inches long) from a friend's bush and plant
them. Out of 10, at least 6 should root and survive. If it's during
the rainy season, sticking them in the dirt is all the work you'll do.

> This year, I believe I shall make a raised plot for that and other herbs.

Plant basil! I wish it was warm enough for it to thrive here. I
can't complain though because what does survive, does it with very
little help on my part... (rosemary, of course) parsley, thyme,
oregano and marjoram for starters.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 10:58:10 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

> I usually cut one down and pull it up every three to four years and
> start over as they tend to be the bully in the herb garden.

They also can take a severe pruning, so there's really no reason to
yank it out unless you want to change locations.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" wrote:

>There is a special marriage between Rosemary and lamb.

Yeah, like airwick and a nyc transit terlit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:38:57 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

> American lamb
> is much much preferred to New Zealand or Australian lamb. It's much more
> delicate in taste. It's larger, and costs more, but it's worth every penny.

Where are you buying your American lamb, Kent? It's not exactly
ubiquitous on this side of the Bay. However, I'm finding New Zealand
lamb is tasting more and more like American (at a much better price),
so I am buying that now.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> On 3/8/2010 10:33 AM, Steve B wrote:
>> We do real estate studies in Las Vegas, and rosemary is a VERY common
>> landscaping plant. This is dark green, looks like fuzzy tail on an
>> animal,
>> and has purple flowers.
>>
>> My question is: Is rosemary all edible, or are there varieties grown for
>> human consumption?
>>
>> I saw Gordon Ramsey use it pulled through a hole in a fowl breast, then
>> the
>> breast was grilled, and the rosemary removed. The smell from just
>> pulling
>> it stayed on my hands for quite a while, and in the car interior. Sure
>> would be an easy plant to grow and harvest.
>>
>> This year, I believe I shall make a raised plot for that and other herbs.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> It is the same plant. I live in the northeast and have never succeeded in
> having it grow more than a foot tall in a pot that is brought in during
> the winter. It does flower like crazy after it is brought inside.

George,
I have a friend in Abington who had a 6 year old plant that was pruned like
a tree (not conical like an evergreen). Nothing on the bottom 20", then 20"
of branches. Unfortunately, it succumbed to the cold last winter. She is
trying again with a potted rosemary which she will bring inside each winter.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 08:03:10 -0800 (PST), PickyJaz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 8, 7:33 am, "Steve B" > wrote:
>> Snip...
>>> This year, I believe I shall make a raised plot for that and other herbs.

>> Be careful where you plant it because it will take over. Do know that
>> Rosemary does make a very fast growing ground cover and seems to
>> thrive forever. At least it does here in my California High Desert.
>> A landscaping friend of mine planted Rosemary in an already raised bed
>> all the way around the corner of a parking lot bordering a small
>> shopping center here. Within less than six months the plants had
>> spread out and grown to over three feet tall, near to completely
>> blocking the center's store fronts from traffic view. A suggestion
>> for growing it where you don't want it to take over is to pot it for
>> containment.
>> ...Picky

> Be aware there are two different cultivars of rosemary. One of these
> grows as an erect plant, which is desirable. The other ("prostrata"),
> stays short and spreading, both in stem and root. Stay with something
> like the erect Tuscan Blue variety and you will be OK. The ones they
> sell as Xmas bonsai are OK, but may not be of the best culinary
> flavor. I grow maybe 3 or 4 different varieties and have not had the
> spreading problem since I dug up my prostrate variety. They are frost
> resistant, but not freeze proof. Container planting is OK, but when
> they get to be a yard tall, the size of the pot may be a problem when
> you try to move it. Rosemary likes heat, so if you plant it in a
> sunny location which is protected from icy winds, simply covering it
> with a polyethylene sheet may be enough to prevent it from freezing.
>
> HTH
>
> Alex

I've been growing the Tuscan blue variety for years and in my climate it
gets very large. I live in SW Louisiana, USDA Zone 9b, it gets hot and
humid here, as an example it is not uncommon to have temps of 95F with
96% humidity. Rosemary loves that type of climate and shows it by
growing year around.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 10:23:36 -0600, Sqwertz > wrote:

>I don't use the rosemary right outside the veterinarian's office
>next door, though. If you know what I mean.

What makes you think the dogs are as disciplined as you are? 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 18:59:10 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> I recently tried a loaf of rosemary sourdough bread. Not bad. Lawdy
> knows they didn't need much rosemary.

Didn't you tell me you flunked focaccia? If you're willing to try it
again, make some rosemary focaccia with a light sprinkling of coarse
salt on top. Major yum!
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ocaccia-106275

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 13:21:40 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

> Rosemary Roasted Potatoes

I will testily that's a great way to make potatoes!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 13:25:26 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

> Forgot to add:
>
> My Rosemary is about 5' tall and about the same diameter. I set it
> out when we moved here in 2004 and it was about 6" tall. I have two
> more in large pots that are going into the ground as soon as I can get
> around to it.
>
> The stems make wonderful skewers.

Time to prune it!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 19:45:30 +0100, "ViLco" >
wrote:

> A nice thing about rosemary is "salamoia bolognese", a dry mix based mostly
> on salt, finely minced rosemary and sage and crushed garlic, all minced with
> a knife and then worked with mortar and pestle. If closed in a glass jar it
> can keep for some months. The proportions can vary, usually salt is about a
> good 90% of the total and rosemary is the second ingredient in quantity.

Great! I have several types of sage growing in my yard and I never
have enough to do with them. Thanks for the idea! I'll just do it on
an as needed basis though because I prefer my rosemary and sage to be
fresh.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 14:35:11 -0500, brooklyn1 wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>>Steve B wrote:
>>
>>> We do real estate studies in Las Vegas, and rosemary is a VERY common
>>> landscaping plant. This is dark green, looks like fuzzy tail on an animal,
>>> and has purple flowers.
>>>
>>> My question is: Is rosemary all edible, or are there varieties grown for
>>> human consumption?

>>I use the rosemary growing right outside the grocery store. It's
>>much more tender with new growth from constant trimming than my
>>overgrown bush at home.
>>
>>I don't use the rosemary right outside the veterinarian's office
>>next door, though. If you know what I mean.

> Yeah, the dwarf would prefer the rosemary growing in front of the
> grocery store that the drunken drug crazed beaner wetbacks **** on all
> night... the sqwartz really enjoys that extra zippy tang... ordinary
> dog **** can't hold a candle to Colt 45 pee. LOL

Why would wetbacks be peeing right outside the front door of the
grocery store?

Are they still spitting in all your food when you eat out, too?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 11:44:30 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:38:57 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> American lamb
>> is much much preferred to New Zealand or Australian lamb. It's much more
>> delicate in taste. It's larger, and costs more, but it's worth every penny.

> Where are you buying your American lamb, Kent? It's not exactly
> ubiquitous on this side of the Bay. However, I'm finding New Zealand
> lamb is tasting more and more like American (at a much better price),
> so I am buying that now.

I never buy any lamb except from costco. New Zealand lamb chops and
boneless legs, better tasting and cheaper than I can get anywhere
else.

I usually just chop up a leg and make stews, curries, and I'll eat
one chunk as a seared fillet (steak style)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't understand rosemary , I saw almost identical hedges of the stuff
a few years ago, one in the South of France near Antibes and the other
in an Edinburgh suburb. One of the edge of the Med, the other near the
Firth of Forth, 1500 kms and several °C difference.

We are somewhere in the middle and we have plants in various beds that
go on for years and then suddenly die.

Rosemary stalks make great kebab skewers

Steve

On 08/03/2010 16:33, Steve B wrote:
> We do real estate studies in Las Vegas, and rosemary is a VERY common
> landscaping plant. This is dark green, looks like fuzzy tail on an animal,
> and has purple flowers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:

> Be careful where you plant it because it will take over. Do know that
> Rosemary does make a very fast growing ground cover and seems to
> thrive forever. At least it does here in my California High Desert.

In Los Angeles metro they plant rosemary on the side of the Interstate
highways. If you have a wreck and your car ends up in the bushes it
seems like they eat your wreck as fertilizer. It's like desert kudzu.
We planted it in our yard and in a few years it needed to be trimmed
like a hedge.

On the other hand rosemary generally dies if it gets snowed on. I've
tried multiple years here in Chicago metro and so far none have survived
the winter. This year there's one on the deck partially isolated from
the snow but it did freeze. I'll see if it comes back to live in the
spring.

The dry rosemary grows well but it has little smell. With herbs the
stronger the smell the stronger the flavor. Whatever the essential oil
that gives rosemary the flavor is, less of it is produced if the plant
stays dry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 15:43:42 -0600, Andy > wrote:

> I'd plant some rosemary but from the pictures I saw on google they like
> lots of sun exposure which is in short supply around here.

My rosemary is planted right against the house (between houses) and
only gets morning sun. It doesn't demand as much sun as a rose does.
With all those trees, just pick the sunniest spot you've got and plant
it there. You might be surprised.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> On 3/8/2010 10:33 AM, Steve B wrote:
>> We do real estate studies in Las Vegas, and rosemary is a VERY common
>> landscaping plant. This is dark green, looks like fuzzy tail on an
>> animal,
>> and has purple flowers.
>>
>> My question is: Is rosemary all edible, or are there varieties grown for
>> human consumption?
>>
>> I saw Gordon Ramsey use it pulled through a hole in a fowl breast, then
>> the
>> breast was grilled, and the rosemary removed. The smell from just
>> pulling
>> it stayed on my hands for quite a while, and in the car interior. Sure
>> would be an easy plant to grow and harvest.
>>
>> This year, I believe I shall make a raised plot for that and other herbs.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> It is the same plant. I live in the northeast and have never succeeded in
> having it grow more than a foot tall in a pot that is brought in during
> the winter. It does flower like crazy after it is brought inside.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

You must live where it is cold.

Here is a picture of a rosemary plant in the left side of the picture of the
garbage can. Sorry, it's just the one I pulled. In Vegas, it gets huge,
sometimes used as a cascade to hide 4-6' high retaining walls. Lots of bees
on them, too. Not sure how it would grow in this zone, but I can get all I
want in Vegas when I go there once a month or more.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PickyJaz" > wrote in message
On Mar 8, 7:33 am, "Steve B" > wrote:
Snip...
> This year, I believe I shall make a raised plot for that and other herbs.

Be careful where you plant it because it will take over. Do know that
Rosemary does make a very fast growing ground cover and seems to
thrive forever. At least it does here in my California High Desert.
A landscaping friend of mine planted Rosemary in an already raised bed
all the way around the corner of a parking lot bordering a small
shopping center here. Within less than six months the plants had
spread out and grown to over three feet tall, near to completely
blocking the center's store fronts from traffic view. A suggestion
for growing it where you don't want it to take over is to pot it for
containment.
....Picky

How high is your high desert? We are at 3700', and right in the
transitional zone into juniper. Hot in the winter, cold but not brutal in
the winter. Sometimes down in the teens. I would plant it behind a
northern wind break.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> PickyJaz wrote:
>>
>> Be careful where you plant it because it will take over. Do know that
>> Rosemary does make a very fast growing ground cover and seems to
>> thrive forever. At least it does here in my California High Desert.

> In Los Angeles metro they plant rosemary on the side of the Interstate
> highways. If you have a wreck and your car ends up in the bushes it
> seems like they eat your wreck as fertilizer. It's like desert kudzu.
> We planted it in our yard and in a few years it needed to be trimmed
> like a hedge.
>
> On the other hand rosemary generally dies if it gets snowed on. I've
> tried multiple years here in Chicago metro and so far none have survived
> the winter. This year there's one on the deck partially isolated from
> the snow but it did freeze. I'll see if it comes back to live in the
> spring.
>
> The dry rosemary grows well but it has little smell. With herbs the
> stronger the smell the stronger the flavor. Whatever the essential oil
> that gives rosemary the flavor is, less of it is produced if the plant
> stays dry.

We go down to Bonsall in North San Diego county. Walls and walls of the
stuff on the freeway berms. If you did crash a car in there, you'd be lucky
if anyone saw you for a few days. ;-)

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 08:03:10 -0800 (PST), PickyJaz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Mar 8, 7:33 am, "Steve B" > wrote:
>>Snip...
>>> This year, I believe I shall make a raised plot for that and other
>>> herbs.

>>Be careful where you plant it because it will take over. Do know that
>>Rosemary does make a very fast growing ground cover and seems to
>>thrive forever. At least it does here in my California High Desert.
>>A landscaping friend of mine planted Rosemary in an already raised bed
>>all the way around the corner of a parking lot bordering a small
>>shopping center here. Within less than six months the plants had
>>spread out and grown to over three feet tall, near to completely
>>blocking the center's store fronts from traffic view. A suggestion
>>for growing it where you don't want it to take over is to pot it for
>>containment.
>>...Picky

> Be aware there are two different cultivars of rosemary. One of these
> grows as an erect plant, which is desirable. The other ("prostrata"),
> stays short and spreading, both in stem and root. Stay with something
> like the erect Tuscan Blue variety and you will be OK. The ones they
> sell as Xmas bonsai are OK, but may not be of the best culinary
> flavor. I grow maybe 3 or 4 different varieties and have not had the
> spreading problem since I dug up my prostrate variety. They are frost
> resistant, but not freeze proof. Container planting is OK, but when
> they get to be a yard tall, the size of the pot may be a problem when
> you try to move it. Rosemary likes heat, so if you plant it in a
> sunny location which is protected from icy winds, simply covering it
> with a polyethylene sheet may be enough to prevent it from freezing.
>
> HTH
>
> Alex

TY, Alex. That was what I was wondering, if there were various species, and
their uses.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote

> I've been growing the Tuscan blue variety for years and in my climate it
> gets very large. I live in SW Louisiana, USDA Zone 9b, it gets hot and
> humid here, as an example it is not uncommon to have temps of 95F with 96%
> humidity. Rosemary loves that type of climate and shows it by growing year
> around.

Sulphur, Holly Beach, Grand Chenier, Oak Grove, Abbeyville, Cameron? Those
won't mean a thing to anyone else, except people in LA. Lived in Lafayette
for six years. Love dat food, allon dance, and fishin'.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
.. .
> Kent wrote:
>
>> We use slivers of Rosemary in certain meats. Poke a .75" hole with
>> very narrow knife, and insert 1" Rosemary twig with stem. Remove
>> after cooking.
>>
>> There is a special marriage between Rosemary and lamb. A medium rare
>> roast leg of lamb always gets Rosemary slivers as above, small
>> slivers of garlic inserted the same way, and kosher or sea salt on
>> the surface.

> How true, when I oven-roast lamb I always use rosemary, usually two to
> four
> sprigs for a whole leg.
> --
> ViLco
> Don't think pink, drink rose'

TY. I love lamb, and shall try some on the next lamb chops I cook.
Shoulder steaks, too. Even a leg if I find one at a good price.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:38:57 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> American lamb
>> is much much preferred to New Zealand or Australian lamb. It's much more
>> delicate in taste. It's larger, and costs more, but it's worth every
>> penny.

> Where are you buying your American lamb, Kent? It's not exactly
> ubiquitous on this side of the Bay. However, I'm finding New Zealand
> lamb is tasting more and more like American (at a much better price),
> so I am buying that now.
>
> --

Lunardi's in the East Bay and the South Bay.
http://lunardis.com/html/locations.html We've been shopping at most of their
locations for many years. They have old fashioned butchers. Their prices are
fair. Their weekly sale ad comes out tomorrow on the internet.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
>>On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:38:57 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:
>>

>>>American lamb
>>>is much much preferred to New Zealand or Australian lamb. It's much more
>>>delicate in taste. It's larger, and costs more, but it's worth every
>>>penny.

>>Where are you buying your American lamb, Kent? It's not exactly
>>ubiquitous on this side of the Bay. However, I'm finding New Zealand
>>lamb is tasting more and more like American (at a much better price),
>>so I am buying that now.
>>
>>--
>>

> Lunardi's in the East Bay and the South Bay.
> http://lunardis.com/html/locations.html We've been shopping at most of their
> locations for many years. They have old fashioned butchers. Their prices are
> fair. Their weekly sale ad comes out tomorrow on the internet.

This man knows his lamb. American is best, and Lunardi's is
the best source for it in this area.

--
Mort
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 22:10:31 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

> Lunardi's in the East Bay and the South Bay.
> http://lunardis.com/html/locations.html We've been shopping at most of their
> locations for many years. They have old fashioned butchers. Their prices are
> fair. Their weekly sale ad comes out tomorrow on the internet.

Lunardi's? You think their prices are "fair"? Oh, man. The one we
have is three towns away and I think it's expensive. That's where I
paid $9 for a 24 oz bag of dried cannellini beans.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 22:26:14 -0800, Mort > wrote:

>This man knows his lamb. American is best, and Lunardi's is
>the best source for it in this area.

To us, in addition to the very, very small chops, New Zealand lamb has
invariably lacked flavor.

We've had outstanding Colorado lamb, but no American lamb we've ever had has
compared with Welsh lamb.

Especially Welsh lamb eaten in a small roadside restaurant, at a window table,
at sundown, watching the lambs gambol in the pasture about twenty yards away ...
8

-- Larry

Why is rosemary ............. Steve B[_6_] General Cooking 27 29-12-2009 01:25 AM
Rosemary uses? cshenk General Cooking 44 16-03-2009 05:54 PM
rosemary Gill Smith General Cooking 42 12-02-2009 06:14 PM
Rosemary Rice Beth Layman Recipes (moderated) 0 06-10-2005 09:50 PM
Dried rosemary biig General Cooking 17 17-04-2005 11:47 PM