Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Italian Flour question

Hi, Got a friend in the breadmakers group asking for what Italian 00 and
Italian 0 flours are.

Anyone know?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 6, 8:55*am, "cshenk" > wrote:
> Hi, Got a friend in the breadmakers group asking for what Italian 00 and
> Italian 0 flours are.
>
> Anyone know?

Google can be your salvation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hi, Got a friend in the breadmakers group asking for what Italian 00 and
> Italian 0 flours are.
>
> Anyone know?

They are different grinds, both fine, but 00 being finer and perfectly
usable as pastry flour. In supermarkets they are mostly soft wheat (grano
tenero) but you can also find 0, 00 and 1 flours in hard wheat as well.
Ergo, you will know nothing of protein content or glutens from 0 and 00.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 18:30:09 +0100, "Giusi" > wrote:

> "cshenk" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Hi, Got a friend in the breadmakers group asking for what Italian 00 and
> > Italian 0 flours are.
> >
> > Anyone know?

> They are different grinds, both fine, but 00 being finer and perfectly
> usable as pastry flour. In supermarkets they are mostly soft wheat (grano
> tenero) but you can also find 0, 00 and 1 flours in hard wheat as well.
> Ergo, you will know nothing of protein content or glutens from 0 and 00.

00 is pastry flour? So, maybe I shouldn't find 00 to make pizza crust
after all. I'll just assume that 00 over here is all purpose, a 50-50
mix of hard and soft wheat.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" wrote
> "cshenk" ha scritto nel messaggio

>> Hi, Got a friend in the breadmakers group asking for what Italian 00 and
>> Italian 0 flours are.
>>
>> Anyone know?

> They are different grinds, both fine, but 00 being finer and perfectly
> usable as pastry flour. In supermarkets they are mostly soft wheat (grano
> tenero) but you can also find 0, 00 and 1 flours in hard wheat as well.
> Ergo, you will know nothing of protein content or glutens from 0 and 00.

Thanks Giusi! Thats what I figured.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in news:jOvkn.24690$sx5.22847
@newsfe16.iad:

> Hi, Got a friend in the breadmakers group asking for what Italian 00 and
> Italian 0 flours are.
>
> Anyone know?

00 is great for making pasta.......

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...20pasta%20and%
20pizza/

http://tinyurl.com/dng9s9

But for in depth explanations.......

http://www.fornobravo.com/brick_oven...nts/flour.html

or.......

http://www.ochef.com/830.htm

What is 00 Flour? I have heard it recommended for making pasta.

You mean is it — like James Bond — licensed to kill? Ah, nothing so
dramatic. In Italy, flour is classified either as 1, 0, or 00, and refers
to how finely ground the flour is and how much of the bran and germ have
been removed. Doppio zero is the most highly refined and is talcum-powder
soft. Many people assume that this softness also means that the flour is
low in protein, and therefore particularly suitable for making pasta but
unsuitable for making bread. They are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

As Jeffrey Steingarten cogently explains in his book, It Must've Been
Something I Ate (Canada, UK), flours of varying protein levels can be
milled to the 00 category. He had a number of samples of flour analyzed in
a lab and found the 00 flours to be higher in protein than many of the
less-refined ones. Higher protein 00 flours that are suitable for making
bread are labeled in Italy as "panifiable" — essentially "bread-ready."

Steingarten says cooks in the United States sometimes substitute a mix of
low-protein cake flour and all-purpose flour for the 00 flour called for
in a pasta recipe. But Marcella Hazan, author of The Essentials of Classic
Italian Cooking (Canada, UK), says she finds that all-purpose flour does
the "most consistently satisfying job" in standing in for the doppio zero.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 18:30:09 +0100, "Giusi" > wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> > Hi, Got a friend in the breadmakers group asking for what Italian 00
>> > and
>> > Italian 0 flours are.
>> >
>> > Anyone know?

>> They are different grinds, both fine, but 00 being finer and perfectly
>> usable as pastry flour. In supermarkets they are mostly soft wheat
>> (grano
>> tenero) but you can also find 0, 00 and 1 flours in hard wheat as well.
>> Ergo, you will know nothing of protein content or glutens from 0 and 00.
>>

> 00 is pastry flour? So, maybe I shouldn't find 00 to make pizza crust
> after all. I'll just assume that 00 over here is all purpose, a 50-50
> mix of hard and soft wheat.

00 is a low gluten flour. As I understand it most Italian flours are lower
in gluten that domestic flours. I've been told you can approximate it by
mixing cake flour and all purpose flour. I believe pizza margharita is
traditionally made with 00 flour. Where do you find it in the Bay Area?
Guisi where are you when we need you?

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 15:31:37 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

> Where do you find it in the Bay Area?

I haven't double checked to make sure, but I think it's available at
Whole Foods and Rainbow. I forgot to look for it at Berkeley Bowl
when I was over there on your side of the Bay.

> Guisi where are you when we need you?

ditto

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 17:51:44 -0600, heyjoe >
wrote:

> It's just me, but the least expensive all purpose flour from the local
> grocery makes good pizza, good focacia and acceptable bread.

So far, I'm ok with all purpose too. I've tried bread flour and
frankly, I can't tell the difference or if I can it's not enough to
matter.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
"Giusi" > wrote:

> 00 is pastry flour? So, maybe I shouldn't find 00 to make pizza crust>
> after all. I'll just assume that 00 over here is all purpose, a 50-50>
> mix of hard and soft wheat.

No, it is not pastry flour, but can sub for it because here it is all soft
wheat and very fine. I have never seen 0 nor 00 flour on supermarket
shelves in the US.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" ha scritto nel messaggio

> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> They are different grinds, both fine, but 00 being finer and
>>> perfectly>>> usable as pastry flour. In supermarkets they are mostly
>>> soft wheat >>> (grano
>>> tenero) but you can also find 0, 00 and 1 flours in hard wheat as well.
>>> Ergo, you will know nothing of protein content or glutens from 0 and 00.
>>>

>> 00 is pastry flour? So, maybe I shouldn't find 00 to make pizza crust>>
>> after all. I'll just assume that 00 over here is all purpose, a 50-50>>
>> mix of hard and soft wheat.
>>

> 00 is a low gluten flour. As I understand it most Italian flours are lower
> > in gluten that domestic flours. I've been told you can approximate it by
> > mixing cake flour and all purpose flour. I believe pizza margharita is

> traditionally made with 00 flour. Where do you find it in the Bay Area?
> Guisi where are you when we need you?

I'm not in the SF area, that's for sure.
If I go to my local supermarket I can buy 0 and 00 flour in grano tenero or
soft wheat really cheap. I can buy the same things in "Manitoba" or hard
wheat for about 5 times the price. I can find semolina, which describes a
flour that is granular and usually of hard wheat.

When I make pizza I use half and half Manitoba or semolina and 0 or 00,
whichever I have the most of, because it works as well as 100% Manitoba or
semolina and costs much less.

When I make pasta I use whatever flour is usual for that pasta.
Casalinga/housewives' pasta made with egg is made with 00. Spaghetti and
some hot water pastas are made with Manitoba or semolina. Nowadays not so
many people make these sorts at home, but with a food processor one can do
it.

What it depends on is what kind of flour was available in the area where
that pasta developed. In the deep south where people were poorer they
didn't make egg pastas as much, but they did have hard wheat. They make hot
water pastas like orecchiette. In central areas the wheat was softer and
they were less poor and could use eggs. Homemade egg pastas are most
common, even for adopted dishes that would be better without the egg. In
the far north pasta was pretty much introduced with the united Italy and the
ones that originate there are either of non-wheat like pizzocheri made of
buckwheat, or adaptations such as tajarin, which are made with mostly yolks
and smell strongly of egg as the fork nears your mouth.
Vilco, being a man with his heart in the north, has expressed a particular
passion for both those pastas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" < ha scritto nel messaggio
"Kent" > wrote:

>> Guisi where are you when we need you?

> ditto

My friend, Judy Witt aka Divina Cucina is from SF, was pastry chef at the St
Francis before moving here and so she usually teaches in that area before or
after the IACP conventions. So I have never even looked into teaching
there. I've been asked to teach in Thousand Oaks but that's pretty far!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

00 Flour refers to the fineness of the grind, and not to
how much protein/gluten is in it. So there are 00 flours
suitable for pastries, and other higher-protein 00 flours
suitable for pizza.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent > wrote:

>00 is a low gluten flour.

Nope

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"heyjoe" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 15:31:37 -0800, Kent wrote:
>
>> 00 is a low gluten flour. As I understand it most Italian flours are
>> lower
>> in gluten that domestic flours. I've been told you can approximate it by
>> mixing cake flour and all purpose flour.

> I've tried mixing cake flour with all purpose in various proportions. No
> matter what, IMO, it didn't smell right, it didn't handle right and it
> didn't taste right. Cake flour, available in the US, doesn't belong in
> focacia, pizza or bread.
>
> Have also mixed bread flour with all purpose in various proportions, in an
> attempt to raise the gluten content. Produced some good dough, some
> expensive dough and mostly average dough. IMO, not worth the effort.
>
> It's just me, but the least expensive all purpose flour from the local
> grocery makes good pizza, good focacia and acceptable bread.
>
> As always, your techinques and taste buds may vary.
>
> --
> Posting from groups.google.com or www.foodbanter.com or other web-forums
> dramatically reduces the chance of your post being read.
> Use the real usenet!
> Eternal-september is free, <http://www.eternal-september.org/>.

Having said what I said before, my experience was exactly as yours with the
cake-AP combo. I think all purpose flour is the best for pizza, though it
should not be enriched, nor bleached flour.

Kent

Tapioca Flour Question?? Gill Murray Diabetic 7 12-11-2007 05:00 AM
Using whole wheat flour in recipes from The Italian Baker by Carol Field? Which whole wheat flour? [email protected] Baking 9 22-02-2005 12:46 AM
Flour Question Dieter Zakas General Cooking 2 09-01-2005 07:42 AM
flour question ilaboo Baking 2 29-01-2004 11:42 PM
Italian 00 Flour drei Baking 13 23-10-2003 12:38 AM