Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lent

The nice thing about Lent is the expansion of fresh seafood.

Tonight

Butter
Garlic
Shrimp
Lemon juice.

OK maybe a caper or 2.

Parsley garnish

Serve over linguini.

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 5, 10:26 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> The nice thing about Lent is the expansion of fresh seafood.
>
> Tonight
>
> Butter
> Garlic
> Shrimp
> Lemon juice.
>
> OK maybe a caper or 2.
>
> Parsley garnish
>
> Serve over linguini.

The nice thing about shrimp is the variety of flavors they
accommodate. The above is fiine, but would also be fine with a slice
of ginger to flavor the butter and a few red pepper flakes to spice it
up.

Last time I looked for uncooked frozen shrimp at TJ's they had two
packages. I thought they differed only in size (Jumbo versus Large, I
forget the number counts but they are always clearly marked on the
package at TJ's) and then I noticed that one was from Cambodia, the
other from Mexico. I assumed both were farmed and took the
Mexican.

Who needs Lent? We eat fish or seafood all the time. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> The nice thing about Lent is the expansion of fresh seafood.
>
> Tonight
>
> Butter
> Garlic
> Shrimp
> Lemon juice.
>
> OK maybe a caper or 2.
>
> Parsley garnish
>
> Serve over linguini.

Hmmmm. I wonder if I could sell that here.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> Who needs Lent? We eat fish or seafood all the time. -aem

Good. Folks who observe meatless Fridays during Lent are often looking
for meal ideas ‹ I think of D's post as a nudge; a "Hey, this is good
and will satisfy meatless Friday requirements." I appreciate his post.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Bean soup with sausage and kale, 3-1-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> On Mar 5, 10:26 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> The nice thing about Lent is the expansion of fresh seafood.
>>
>> Tonight
>>
>> Butter
>> Garlic
>> Shrimp
>> Lemon juice.
>>
>> OK maybe a caper or 2.
>>
>> Parsley garnish
>>
>> Serve over linguini.

> The nice thing about shrimp is the variety of flavors they
> accommodate. The above is fiine, but would also be fine with a slice
> of ginger to flavor the butter and a few red pepper flakes to spice it
> up.
>
> Last time I looked for uncooked frozen shrimp at TJ's they had two
> packages. I thought they differed only in size (Jumbo versus Large, I
> forget the number counts but they are always clearly marked on the
> package at TJ's) and then I noticed that one was from Cambodia, the
> other from Mexico. I assumed both were farmed and took the
> Mexican.
>
> Who needs Lent? We eat fish or seafood all the time. -aem

Names - Jumbo, large, extra large, etc are meaningless - always look at the
count per pound.

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
aem > wrote:
>On Mar 5, 10:26 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> The nice thing about Lent is the expansion of fresh seafood.
>>
>> Tonight
>>
>> Butter
>> Garlic
>> Shrimp
>> Lemon juice.
>>
>> OK maybe a caper or 2.
>>
>> Parsley garnish
>>
>> Serve over linguini.

>Who needs Lent? We eat fish or seafood all the time. -aem

Thanks for sharing that. Do you have a recipe?

ObFood, Story Time! Division:

My ex's French-raised maman is not particularly religious, but apparently
thought "Friday fish" was culturally or religiously important enough to do
when he was growing up. She's an awesome cook, but apparently in Manitoba
in the sixties and seventies, "fish" meant canned tuna, canned salmon, and
fish sticks. This is not unsimilar to what I remember from my yoot in
interior California, minus the mountain trout that Dad and Grandpa caught.
Seafood _was_ available for purchase, but would have broken the family
bank. We, however, did not practice fish-on-Friday.

My ex did not want to eat salmon steaks as a result. He had learned the
wonders of smoked salmon (indeed, he used to bring packages home for me
whenever he went to Vancouver to deal with La Migra), but he just wouldn't
eat fresh-cooked salmon, citing the canned stuff he used to get on
Fridays. I told him that it wasn't the same, but he politely declined all
tastes of it at restaurants ... until the day he took me to Chez Panisse
restaurant and, guess what, the one-size-fits-all entree was fresh-caught
salmon fillets. We both cleaned our plates .

Charlotte
(who forebore from teasing, because, yaknow, he took me to CP

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> aem > wrote:
>
>> Who needs Lent? We eat fish or seafood all the time. -aem

> Good. Folks who observe meatless Fridays during Lent are often looking
> for meal ideas < I think of D's post as a nudge; a "Hey, this is good
> and will satisfy meatless Friday requirements." I appreciate his post.
>

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
> Bean soup with sausage and kale, 3-1-2010

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> aem > wrote:
>
>> Who needs Lent? We eat fish or seafood all the time. -aem

> Good. Folks who observe meatless Fridays during Lent are often looking
> for meal ideas < I think of D's post as a nudge; a "Hey, this is good
> and will satisfy meatless Friday requirements." I appreciate his post.
>

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
> Bean soup with sausage and kale, 3-1-2010

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 2:14*pm, T > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>

> > In article
> > >,
> > *aem > wrote:

> > > Who needs Lent? *We eat fish or seafood all the time. * *-aem

> > Good. *Folks who observe meatless Fridays during Lent are often looking
> > for meal ideas ? I think of D's post as a nudge; a "Hey, this is good
> > and will satisfy meatless Friday requirements." * I appreciate his post.

> I think I'll steak tonight.

My original plan was chile con carne, but DH went and had chili-dogs
for
lunch. It would be risky to feed him chili twice in one day.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> The nice thing about Lent is the expansion of fresh seafood.
>
> Tonight
>
> Butter
> Garlic
> Shrimp
> Lemon juice.
>
> OK maybe a caper or 2.
>
> Parsley garnish
>
> Serve over linguini.

Sounds good!

The fund raising "fish fry" for Lent signs are appearing around town
here...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
> Good. Folks who observe meatless Fridays during Lent are often looking
> for meal ideas < I think of D's post as a nudge; a "Hey, this is good
> and will satisfy meatless Friday requirements." I appreciate his post.

I always had a problems with the fish on Fridays deal. It was supposed to
be a form of sacrifice. It is OK to eat a $10 a pound lobster but not a 79¢
a pound hot dog.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT - Lent

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
>> Good. Folks who observe meatless Fridays during Lent are often looking
>> for meal ideas < I think of D's post as a nudge; a "Hey, this is good
>> and will satisfy meatless Friday requirements." I appreciate his post.
>>

> I always had a problems with the fish on Fridays deal. It was supposed to
> be a form of sacrifice. It is OK to eat a $10 a pound lobster but not a
> 79¢ a pound hot dog.

The "sacrifice" as you call it, I don't think has much to do with the form
of the observance. Because of my age I don't have to observe this practice.
I choose to do so as a reminder of the "reason" behind the observance. The
40 days of Lent. it is a reminder of the 40 days and a preparation for the
Easter observance/time.

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
>> Good. Folks who observe meatless Fridays during Lent are often looking
>> for meal ideas < I think of D's post as a nudge; a "Hey, this is good
>> and will satisfy meatless Friday requirements." I appreciate his post.
>>

> I always had a problems with the fish on Fridays deal. It was supposed
> to be a form of sacrifice. It is OK to eat a $10 a pound lobster but
> not a 79¢ a pound hot dog.

So true. Not eating hamburg because it is meat is hardly a sacrifice
when you replace it with expensive types of fish. I confess to hassling
my wife about that. She gives up sugar, starch and alcohol. I suggested
that was not much of a sacrifice because she doesn't eat bread or
potatoes. Giving up meat would be a sacrifice. She tends to dress with
a lot of purple and I commented on the three nice new purple scarves she
bought. She had turned Lent into a fashion statement.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
>>> Good. Folks who observe meatless Fridays during Lent are often looking
>>> for meal ideas < I think of D's post as a nudge; a "Hey, this is good
>>> and will satisfy meatless Friday requirements." I appreciate his post.
>>>

>> I always had a problems with the fish on Fridays deal. It was
>> supposed to be a form of sacrifice. It is OK to eat a $10 a pound
>> lobster but not a 79¢ a pound hot dog.

> The "sacrifice" as you call it, I don't think has much to do with the
> form of the observance. Because of my age I don't have to observe this
> practice. I choose to do so as a reminder of the "reason" behind the
> observance. The 40 days of Lent. it is a reminder of the 40 days and a
> preparation for the Easter observance/time.

Hasn't the whole thing been twisted around and been turned into a
celebration? Some people make a big deal of Mardi Gras. Instead of using
up all the fat and sweet stuff to get rid of it so we can sacrifice for
40 days, it has been turned into a decandent party. Then people go out
shopping so they will have a nice new outfit for Easter. It is no longer
about Christ dying for our sins, whatever the heck is supposed to mean
anyway. It has become another marketing ploy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> I always had a problems with the fish on Fridays deal. It was supposed to
> be a form of sacrifice. It is OK to eat a $10 a pound lobster but not a 79¢
> a pound hot dog.

Were you raised Roman Catholic, Byzantine Catholic, Eastern Orthodox or
another faith where that was the rule, Ed? AFAIK, **it wasn't that you
had to eat fish on Friday**; the fast was that you **couldn't eat meat**
on Friday. There is a difference. In our house, typical Friday meals
were tuna casserole, creamed tuna on toast, creamed peas and carrots on
mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, pirohy, fried sunfish.

Lobster? Out of the realm of reality at our house. The only time I
ever had it was when I was a young adult and was on a dinner date.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Bean soup with sausage and kale, 3-1-2010

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed wrote:

> I always had a problems with the fish on Fridays deal. It was supposed to
> be a form of sacrifice. It is OK to eat a $10 a pound lobster but not a
> 79¢ a pound hot dog.

Just think of the extra money spent as a sacrifice.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee wrote:

> It is sometimes hard for me to come up with varied meals during Lent

Have you tried curried hard-boiled eggs?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fasting Foods

Ranee wrote:

> we didn't get scallops to make them because it didn't seem to fall under
> the spirit of the law.

<snip>
> It's the All You Can Eat Fish Frys that get my goat. The point is to
> make a sacrifice and stand with the poor, not fill your gut till you
> pop.

Some religions (Orthodox Christianity, for example) have proscriptions on
oil (including butter) during fasting periods. To counter, Orthodox
followers use margarine, and apparently feel that they're following the fast
because they're adhering to the letter of the law -- never mind that
margarine didn't exist when the law was written, or it would have been
prohibited too! Some religions *do* believe that the letter of the law is
what matters, rather like a legal system where precedent matters more than
the spirit of the law.

Still, it's possible for ascetic cuisine to be haute cuisine; vichyssoise is
one obvious example.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
>> I always had a problems with the fish on Fridays deal. It was supposed
>> be a form of sacrifice. It is OK to eat a $10 a pound lobster but not a
>> 79¢
>> a pound hot dog.

> Were you raised Roman Catholic, Byzantine Catholic, Eastern Orthodox or
> another faith where that was the rule, Ed? AFAIK, **it wasn't that you
> had to eat fish on Friday**; the fast was that you **couldn't eat meat**
> on Friday. There is a difference. In our house, typical Friday meals
> were tuna casserole, creamed tuna on toast, creamed peas and carrots on
> mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, pirohy, fried sunfish.
>
> Lobster? Out of the realm of reality at our house. The only time I
> ever had it was when I was a young adult and was on a dinner date.

I was raised RC but have not followed it very closely for years.

Friday meals were meatless, of course, often fish or a cheese pizza.
Sometimes grilled cheese and tomato soup. Once a month of so, my mother
would order from McCandless's Seafood store and we'd get fried oyster, clam
cakes etc. There was a line outside on Friday.

Many of the church practices have roots and reasons from centuries ago but
they don't always translate into the 18th through 21st centuries. The mass
in Latin was silly too. As kids, we attended but had no idea what was said
or why. It was 40 minutes of daydreaming.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> T > wrote:
>>
>>> In article
>>> says...

>>> I think I'll steak tonight.

>> I haven't decided yet. Likely chicken, but I'd better get it out of
>> the freezer. Maybe cacciatore -- I have Musgovian red, yellow, and
>> orange peppers.
>>

> Salmon patties, blackeyed peas, taters, it is Friday and we're Mackeral
> Snappers.

We had pork slow-cooked with sauerkraut, leeks, and apples, with boiled
potatoes alongside. Told the kid it was pork and cabbage; she hates
sauerkraut, but if she doesn't know the "cabbage" started out as
sauerkraut, she'll eat this dish. Then she saw the jar in the trash,
and the jig was up. Later, she comes into my room and says "Hey, this
isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe I DON'T hate sauerkraut!"

Serene

--
"Basic principles of the Universe, oo. Do tell. Quantum mechanics?"
"You cannot know simultaneously where you are in a relationship *and*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> We had pork slow-cooked with sauerkraut, leeks, and apples, with boiled
> potatoes alongside. Told the kid it was pork and cabbage; she hates
> sauerkraut, but if she doesn't know the "cabbage" started out as
> sauerkraut, she'll eat this dish. Then she saw the jar in the trash,
> and the jig was up. Later, she comes into my room and says "Hey, this
> isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe I DON'T hate sauerkraut!"
>
> Serene

Sweet. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
>> I always had a problems with the fish on Fridays deal. It was supposed to
>> be a form of sacrifice. It is OK to eat a $10 a pound lobster but not a 79¢
>> a pound hot dog.

> Were you raised Roman Catholic, Byzantine Catholic, Eastern Orthodox or
> another faith where that was the rule, Ed? AFAIK, **it wasn't that you
> had to eat fish on Friday**; the fast was that you **couldn't eat meat**
> on Friday. There is a difference. In our house, typical Friday meals
> were tuna casserole, creamed tuna on toast, creamed peas and carrots on
> mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, pirohy, fried sunfish.
>
> Lobster? Out of the realm of reality at our house. The only time I
> ever had it was when I was a young adult and was on a dinner date.

Whoa! You actually had a date buy you a lobster meal? <G>

Some Fridays during Lent we just have toasted cheese sandwiches with a
vegetable soup. Yesterday we had salmon patties, I'm still tasting
those. Next Friday I'm planning on a seafood gumbo with crab, oysters,
and shrimp. The base stock will be a shrimp stock made with the heads of
the shrimp who will be swimming in the gumbo.

We're both old enough that fasting is not a requirement for us, it's
just the sacrifice we make for the season anyway. Yeah, we're old enough
to remember when Roman Catholics heard Mass in Latin, ate fish every
Friday, and fasted through most, if not all of Lent. I miss the beauty
of the Latin Mass though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2010 11:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>>
>>> I always had a problems with the fish on Fridays deal. It was
>>> supposed to
>>> be a form of sacrifice. It is OK to eat a $10 a pound lobster but not
>>> a 79¢
>>> a pound hot dog.

>> Were you raised Roman Catholic, Byzantine Catholic, Eastern Orthodox or
>> another faith where that was the rule, Ed? AFAIK, **it wasn't that you
>> had to eat fish on Friday**; the fast was that you **couldn't eat meat**
>> on Friday. There is a difference. In our house, typical Friday meals
>> were tuna casserole, creamed tuna on toast, creamed peas and carrots on
>> mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, pirohy, fried sunfish.
>>
>> Lobster? Out of the realm of reality at our house. The only time I
>> ever had it was when I was a young adult and was on a dinner date.

> I was raised RC but have not followed it very closely for years.
>
> Friday meals were meatless, of course, often fish or a cheese pizza.
> Sometimes grilled cheese and tomato soup. Once a month of so, my mother
> would order from McCandless's Seafood store and we'd get fried oyster,
> clam cakes etc. There was a line outside on Friday.
>
> Many of the church practices have roots and reasons from centuries ago
> but they don't always translate into the 18th through 21st centuries.
> The mass in Latin was silly too. As kids, we attended but had no idea
> what was said or why. It was 40 minutes of daydreaming.

Might not understand it but you can read a grocery list in Latin and it
sounds impressive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Some religions (Orthodox Christianity, for example) have proscriptions on
> oil (including butter) during fasting periods. To counter, Orthodox

> Bob

Huh. That's a new one on me, Bob. On the strict fast days (Holy
Saturday, Christmas Eve, maybe a couple more) Mom wouldn't use butter
because it was a dairy fast as well as a meat fast, but she would use
vegetable oil.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Bean soup with sausage and kale, 3-1-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote
>> Many of the church practices have roots and reasons from centuries ago
>> but they don't always translate into the 18th through 21st centuries.
>> The mass in Latin was silly too. As kids, we attended but had no idea
>> what was said or why. It was 40 minutes of daydreaming.

> Might not understand it but you can read a grocery list in Latin and it
> sounds impressive.

I had two years of Latin in high school. I remember a total of about 8 words
and still did not understand the Mass. Of course, I never really had much
interest in trying either.. French or Spanish would have served me far
better in life. I could at least translate the grocery list.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 10:26:38 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "J. Clarke" > wrote
>>> Many of the church practices have roots and reasons from centuries ago
>>> but they don't always translate into the 18th through 21st centuries.
>>> The mass in Latin was silly too. As kids, we attended but had no idea
>>> what was said or why. It was 40 minutes of daydreaming.

>> Might not understand it but you can read a grocery list in Latin and it
>> sounds impressive.
>>

> I had two years of Latin in high school. I remember a total of about 8 words
> and still did not understand the Mass. Of course, I never really had much
> interest in trying either.. French or Spanish would have served me far
> better in life. I could at least translate the grocery list.

latin class in high school was one of my favorites. (i'm still not great
at sight translations.)

the teacher was a former jesuit who dropped out to get married. very sharp
guy, who taught us more about grammar than the english teachers did. he
also put me onto john barth's novels, which i enjoyed immensely.

(plus you met catholic schoolgirls who had convinced their parents to let
them go to public high school. 'well, o.k., but you gotta take latin.')

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 06:56:28 -0600, George Shirley wrote:

> We're both old enough that fasting is not a requirement for us, it's
> just the sacrifice we make for the season anyway. Yeah, we're old enough
> to remember when Roman Catholics heard Mass in Latin, ate fish every
> Friday, and fasted through most, if not all of Lent. I miss the beauty
> of the Latin Mass though.

forgive me if i've told this story here befo

my father used to take his mother to the podiatrist every now and then. he
came to her house one friday shortly after vatican ii to see her chowing
down on some fish sticks for lunch.

dad: 'ma, you know the pope says you don't have to eat fish on friday any
more.'

granny: 'what does he know?'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> I guess you guys would say I'm a complete heathen......I've never
> understood the dietary dogma in pretty much any religion.

When I was a teenager I dated a foreign exchange student from Morocco. A
group of us went out to lunch, but he could not eat because he was
fasting. I wondered what kind of God would make his people go hungry or
have dietary restrictions.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-06, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

Isn't "fasting foods" an oxymoron?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Some religions (Orthodox Christianity, for example) have proscriptions on
> oil (including butter) during fasting periods. To counter, Orthodox
> followers use margarine, and apparently feel that they're following the fast
> because they're adhering to the letter of the law -- never mind that
> margarine didn't exist when the law was written, or it would have been
> prohibited too! Some religions *do* believe that the letter of the law is
> what matters, rather like a legal system where precedent matters more than
> the spirit of the law.

That's for sure. I'm reminded of a Catholic I worked with
who announced she was giving up stress for Lent. Huh?
I thought you were supposed to give up something you like,
like chocolate or coffee.

Or the orthodox Jews who were trapped in their homes on
their sabbath when a freak snowstorm hit Jerusalem and
knocked down the rope encircling the Jewish quarter and
symbolically made that part of Jerusalem a single
household, so people go out shopping on the sabbath
as long as they stayed within the rope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>> I guess you guys would say I'm a complete heathen......I've never
>> understood the dietary dogma in pretty much any religion.
>>

> When I was a teenager I dated a foreign exchange student from Morocco. A
> group of us went out to lunch, but he could not eat because he was
> fasting. I wondered what kind of God would make his people go hungry or
> have dietary restrictions.

It's not a god who makes people fast. It is the people who make up
religions and enforce the man made rules.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chemo the Clown > wrote:

>Agree. And, just where is the sacrifice? Lent, Easter, fasting...it's
>just a tradition that does not really have any sacrifice. Who suffers?

Are you serious? No sacrifice? No suffering?

>If you're going to be religous then practice the entire religion the
>entire year.

Lenten observances (which can include some kind of fasting) *ARE* part of
practicing "the entire religion" in the cycle of the church year.

ObFood: finishing up the lasagna with homemade ricotta today, even though
I really want a hamburger. Maybe I'll have a burger tomorrow.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:
>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>> Some religions (Orthodox Christianity, for example) have proscriptions on
>> oil (including butter) during fasting periods. To counter, Orthodox
>> followers use margarine, and apparently feel that they're following the fast
>> because they're adhering to the letter of the law -- never mind that
>> margarine didn't exist when the law was written, or it would have been
>> prohibited too! Some religions *do* believe that the letter of the law is
>> what matters, rather like a legal system where precedent matters more than
>> the spirit of the law.

>That's for sure. I'm reminded of a Catholic I worked with
>who announced she was giving up stress for Lent. Huh?
>I thought you were supposed to give up something you like,
>like chocolate or coffee.

Nope, that is actually not how it is supposed to work.

Working on not stressing out sounds like an excellent Lenten discipline to
me. Like, say, smoking, it's something that you probably shouldn't be
doing anyway because it's Bad For You ... but it's a great time to attempt
to break a bad habit, or make a good one.

ObFood: some of the EO people I know regard vegetable (non-olive) oil as
fudging somewhat during Great Lent (it's olive oil that gets the nod in
most lists I've seen), but those rules are quite restrictive IMO and I am
just kind of boggled.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:
>Hasn't the whole thing been twisted around and been turned into a
>celebration?

Lent? Hardly.

>Some people make a big deal of Mardi Gras. Instead of using
>up all the fat and sweet stuff to get rid of it so we can sacrifice for
>40 days, it has been turned into a decandent party.

It doesn't have to be a decadent one... but a party is good!

>Then people go out
>shopping so they will have a nice new outfit for Easter.

A new outfit for Easter is hardly an invention of the modern "decadent"
marketing age! Back in the Middle Ages, lords traditionally gave all
their servants and retainers new clothes twice a year ... for
Christmas/New Year's/Epiphany (NY and Epiphany being the gift-giving
occasions) and Easter.

This was before industrial spinning and cloth production, much less
Wal-Mart and cheap offshore imports. New clothes were a huge deal, even
to the rich.

For me, planning Easter clothes and Easter food is part of the fun of
Easter.

>It is no longer
>about Christ dying for our sins, whatever the heck is supposed to mean
>anyway. It has become another marketing ploy.

Items for Easter celebrations - candy, food, clothing, decorations - have
been "marketed" in a secular manner ever since I can remember. Those who
observe Lent in the traditional ways of prayer, fasting, study, service,
and alms-giving will certainly notice a tension between the ways of the
Church and the ways of the world, but again, this is nothing new and is
not even the first time during this church year something like this has
happened. We had Advent competing with Giftmas, the post-Giftmas letdown
competing with the Twelve Days and the Epiphany, and now this. If
some grocer trying to make an honest living tries to bring customers in
by advertising "Friday fish" specials, I say, more power to him.

What happened with you, Dave? Did someone pee in your oatmeal?

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> I guess you guys would say I'm a complete heathen......I've never
> understood the dietary dogma in pretty much any religion.

Think you a heathen? Hardly.

Others' beliefs or nonbeliefs are of no consequence nor concern to me.
I imagine people have their reasons for what they do or do not believe.
The only thing I bristle at are barbed pokes at the faith beliefs of
others. If people derive comfort from their spiritual beliefs and
practices, and it's no skin off the nose, why rain on it?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Bean soup with sausage and kale, 3-1-2010

Cajun Lent Chemo the Clown[_2_] General Cooking 3 24-03-2012 05:49 AM
Friday Dinner (lent) Dimitri General Cooking 0 14-03-2009 03:57 PM
Special meals during Lent?? FERRANTE[_3_] General Cooking 14 27-02-2009 09:27 PM
Teas for Lent toci Tea 0 28-02-2006 09:48 AM
Lent Arturo Mexican Cooking 2 02-03-2004 05:36 PM