Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Lidia's Strangozzi with Chard and Almond Sauce

Here is is as promised. I just picked up the book from
the library last night. I'm going to try to make this
sometime soon. It really sounds good to me.
Kate

STRANGOZZI WITH CHARD AND ALMOND SAUCE
(Strangozzi con Salsa di Bietole e Mardorle - Umbria)

Chard and Pesto:
2 lb. Swiss chard
1 c. loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 c. loosely packed fresh mint leaves
4 plump cloves garlic, 2 peeled and crushed, 2 peeled and sliced
10 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 t. kosher salt
1/3 c. sliced almonds, toasted
1/2 t. peperoncino flakes, or to taste

Pasta:
1 batch (1 1/2 lb.) Homemade Strangozzi
extra-virgin olive oil, for finishing
1 c. freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano, plus more for serving

Bring large pot of well-salted water (6 qt. + 1 T. salt) to boil. Rinse
and drain chard, cut off stems. If central rib is thick and tough, cut
it out. Pile up leaves and slice them crosswise into strips about 1"
wide. When water boils, heap chard into pot and stir, submerging the
strips. Return to boil and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. With
strainer remove chard and drop into colander. Turn off heat and save
pot of hot water for cooking strangozzi. When chard has drained and
cooled a bit, squeeze by handfuls, pressing out the liquid. Loosen the
clumps and pile in the colander. For pesto: Put basil, mint, crushed
garlic, 3 T. olive oil, and 1 t. salt into food processor. Process to a
chunky paste, about 10 seconds. Add almonds and process for 10 seconds
until you have a smooth, bright green paste. Pour remaining 7 T. olive
oil into large skillet set over medium-high heat. Scatter in the sliced
garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until it is sizzling. Drop in the
chard, season with peperoncino, and the remaining ½ t. salt, and stir.
Ladle in 1/2 c. hot water from pot and bring to a boil. Cook rapidly
for several minutes, until water has reduced by half. Lower heat to
simmer. Bring chard cooking water back to boil. Add strangozzi,
stirring and separating the strands. Cover pot and rapidly return water
to boil. Set cover ajar and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
until barely al dente. With strainer and tongs remove strangozzi from
water, drain a moment, and drop into skillet with simmering chard. Toss
together quickly and spread all the herb-almond pesto on top. Rinse out
the food processor bowl with 1/2 c. hot water from pot and pour that
into pasta. Over low heat, toss pasta, chard, and pesto together for
1-2 minutes until strangozzi are all coated and perfectly al dente. If
dressing is soupy, reduce it quickly over high heat; if it’s too dense,
thin it with more pasta water. Turn off heat, sprinkle 1 c. or so of
grated cheese over strangozzi and toss well. Finish with drizzle of
live oil. Toss again. Heap into warm bowls. Serve immediately with
more cheese. Makes sauce for 1 batch strangozzi or other pasta. Serves
6. (From “Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy” by Lidia Bastianich)

Homemade Strangozzi:
1/2 lb. flour
1 3/4 c. fine semolina flour
1/2 t. kosher salt
1 1/4 c. ice water

Put flours and salt in food processor and process a few seconds. With
processor running pour in water through feed tube. Process for 30
seconds, until a dough forms and gathers on blade. If dough does not
gather or process easily it is too wet or too dry. Feel dough and add
either more flour or more water in small amounts. Turn dough out on
lightly floured surface and knead briefly by hand until smooth, soft,
and stretchy. Press into disk, wrap well in plastic wrap, and let rest
at room temperature for at least 1/2 hour. (Refrigerate dough for up to
1 day or freeze for a month or more. Defrost in fridge and return to
room temperature before rolling.) Cut into 6 equal portions. Lightly
flour and put through pasta machine at progressively thinner settings
(but not the thinnest setting), extruding it into a long strip about
1/8" thick, 20" long, and 5" wide. Lay sheets flat on lightly floured
trays. Dust tops with flour and cover loosely with towel. Let dry for
15-30 minutes. To form strangozzi: Lay out one pasta strip on floured
surface and roll it up from both short ends, making 2 fairly tight coils
that meet in the middle, like an old-fashioned scroll. Slice the scroll
crosswise, down through both coils, at 1/4" intervals. From a 5" wide
scroll you should get about 20 pieces. To unfold the strangozzi slide a
long knife blade under the center of the cut pieces, without separating
them. Make sure knife is in exact center where the 2 rolls meet. Lift
knife and dough off table, jiggle knife gently and coils will unroll on
either side of knife. If dough is sticky in spots unroll with fingers.
Lower strands to work surface and slide off knife. Gather all into a
loose nest and set it on floured towel or tray. Repeat with rest of
dough. Leave nests uncovered to air-dry at room temperature until
you’re ready to cook them . (Or freeze nests on tray until solid and
then pack in airtight ziplock bags.)

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Kate,
>
> Snipped and saved the recipe.
>
> Reading through the recipe, there's certainly no short cuts the first time
> around.
>
> I noticed the one ½ fraction. What happened to the rest of them?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy and Kitchen Kate

Ah, the fractions . . . . Well, when I type in recipes or
copy them to a file on my computer, I format them the way
I like them. I like the "special character" version of the
fractions and always use those. However when I copy and
paste one of my recipes a message to the newsgroup I go through
and change all the fractions back to the "1/2" version since many
people get garbage when I leave the special characters in.
I guess I missed one of them. I'm glad you could read it. :-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate wrote:

> Ah, the fractions . . . . Well, when I type in recipes or
> copy them to a file on my computer, I format them the way
> I like them. I like the "special character" version of the
> fractions and always use those. However when I copy and
> paste one of my recipes a message to the newsgroup I go through
> and change all the fractions back to the "1/2" version since many
> people get garbage when I leave the special characters in.
> I guess I missed one of them. I'm glad you could read it. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to do that, and thanks for typing and posting
that recipe!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 12:46:05 -0500, Kate Connally wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>> Kate,
>>
>> Snipped and saved the recipe.
>>
>> Reading through the recipe, there's certainly no short cuts the first time
>> around.
>>
>> I noticed the one ½ fraction. What happened to the rest of them?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy and Kitchen Kate

> Ah, the fractions . . . . Well, when I type in recipes or
> copy them to a file on my computer, I format them the way
> I like them. I like the "special character" version of the
> fractions and always use those. However when I copy and
> paste one of my recipes a message to the newsgroup I go through
> and change all the fractions back to the "1/2" version since many
> people get garbage when I leave the special characters in.
> I guess I missed one of them. I'm glad you could read it. :-)
>
> Kate

that's very thoughty of you.

when i transcribe recipes, i use notepad, and i'm not even sure it savvies
the special characters.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote:

> when i transcribe recipes, i use notepad, and i'm not even sure it savvies
> the special characters.

Yes, Notepad can handle fraction characters. You can use the "Replace"
function in Notepad can change ¼ to 1/4, ½ to 1/2, and ¾ to 3/4, if you want
to go to all that trouble. You can write a Word macro to do those three
things with one button, too. Or you can write a bat or sed script (depending
on your OS) to do all three things at once.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 18:46:56 -0800, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> blake wrote:
>
>> when i transcribe recipes, i use notepad, and i'm not even sure it savvies
>> the special characters.

> Yes, Notepad can handle fraction characters. You can use the "Replace"
> function in Notepad can change ¼ to 1/4, ½ to 1/2, and ¾ to 3/4, if you want
> to go to all that trouble. You can write a Word macro to do those three
> things with one button, too. Or you can write a bat or sed script (depending
> on your OS) to do all three things at once.
>
> Bob

there doesn't seem to be much payback for the effort. plus, if i boop the
straight text into some other format, no chance it will get garbled.

your pal,
blake

Goat with almond sauce Timo General Cooking 22 23-09-2014 12:34 AM
Almond Sauce mithunchowdhury Recipes 0 29-12-2011 04:46 PM
strangozzi recipe wanted Kate Connally General Cooking 13 25-02-2010 11:32 PM
Oh.My.Gawd: Lemon Sauce from Lidia Christine Dabney General Cooking 23 16-03-2006 02:48 AM
Lidia's meat sauce Bolognese notbob General Cooking 2 07-05-2005 01:06 AM