Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Top ten weirdest donuts around the world

There is one donut that I would not want to try, although I would give
the others a sample. :-P

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/short...uts_in_the.php

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> There is one donut that I would not want to try, although I would give the
> others a sample. :-P
>

> http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/short...uts_in_the.php

I'll guess. #7?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> There is one donut that I would not want to try, although I would give
> the others a sample. :-P
>

> http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/short...uts_in_the.php
>

> Becca

Some of those aren't weird. They are common in other countries,
and it is wrong to lump them with the oddities. (I see they don't
mention curry donuts, which by their standards would probably be
odder than the bean paste donuts.)

--
Jean B.

All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently
opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Becca >
wrote:

> There is one donut that I would not want to try, although I would give
> the others a sample. :-P
>

> http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/short...t_donuts_in_th
> e.php
>

> Becca

Hey, I'm adventurous... :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> "Becca" > wrote in message
>> There is one donut that I would not want to try, although I would
>> give the others a sample. :-P
>>

>> http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/short...uts_in_the.php
>>

> I'll guess. #7?

The one I would hesitate to try is #5, the Krispy Kreme burger with
cheese. A hamburger made with krispy kreme's just doesn't sound right,
although I would eat Monte Cristo sandwiches when I was a kid.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 20:38:55 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Becca wrote:
>> There is one donut that I would not want to try, although I would give
>> the others a sample. :-P
>>

>> http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/short...uts_in_the.php
>>

>> Becca

>Some of those aren't weird. They are common in other countries,
>and it is wrong to lump them with the oddities. (I see they don't
>mention curry donuts, which by their standards would probably be
>odder than the bean paste donuts.)

Funny... one of our oriental restaurants serves what appears to be a
sweet bean paste-filled donut hole, covered with sesame seeds. I like
them for dessert. They're small rather than supersized, the sesame
seeds add nuttiness and the bean paste is not cloyingly sweet. And
they're not dry as sand like the other dessert items at the buffet.

It's funny because here in Parts Unknown we don't often get weird
foods. Places that would be ordinary specialty shops in a larger town
just can't make it here. It's only been the last two years or so that
a coffee shop was able to stay in business.
--
Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> Funny... one of our oriental restaurants serves what appears to be a
> sweet bean paste-filled donut hole, covered with sesame seeds. I like
> them for dessert. They're small rather than supersized, the sesame
> seeds add nuttiness and the bean paste is not cloyingly sweet. And
> they're not dry as sand like the other dessert items at the buffet.
>
> It's funny because here in Parts Unknown we don't often get weird
> foods. Places that would be ordinary specialty shops in a larger town
> just can't make it here. It's only been the last two years or so that
> a coffee shop was able to stay in business.
> --
> Terry

Mmmm. Yes, I like those bean-paste-filled donuts. It's nice that
you do get to enjoy them there since it doesn't sound like a
foodie's paradise.

--
Jean B.

All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently
opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 8:08*pm, Becca > wrote:
> There is one donut that I would not want to try, although I would give
> the others a sample. :-P
>
> http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/short...0_weirdest_don...
>
> Becca

Trinidadian doubles are deep fried donut pastry filled with curried
chick pies. They are awesome.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 20:38:55 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
> >Becca wrote:
> >> There is one donut that I would not want to try, although I would give
> >> the others a sample. :-P
> >>

> >> http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/short...uts_in_the.php
> >>

> >> Becca

> >Some of those aren't weird. They are common in other countries,
> >and it is wrong to lump them with the oddities. (I see they don't
> >mention curry donuts, which by their standards would probably be
> >odder than the bean paste donuts.)

> Funny... one of our oriental restaurants serves what appears to be a
> sweet bean paste-filled donut hole, covered with sesame seeds. I like
> them for dessert. They're small rather than supersized, the sesame
> seeds add nuttiness and the bean paste is not cloyingly sweet. And
> they're not dry as sand like the other dessert items at the buffet.

I love those sesame balls! They aren't that hard to make if you want a
recipe. Provided you can get the red bean paste, or are willing to make
some.

> It's funny because here in Parts Unknown we don't often get weird
> foods. Places that would be ordinary specialty shops in a larger town
> just can't make it here. It's only been the last two years or so that
> a coffee shop was able to stay in business.
> --
> Terry

That's true everywhere. There's always something 'weird' in every
locality. Just a different weirdness.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:

> Funny... one of our oriental restaurants serves what appears to be a
> sweet bean paste-filled donut hole, covered with sesame seeds. I like
> them for dessert. They're small rather than supersized, the sesame
> seeds add nuttiness and the bean paste is not cloyingly sweet. And
> they're not dry as sand like the other dessert items at the buffet.

I love sesame balls. All of the ones around here are made with a rice
based dough that ends up jelled not puffy. Sesame balls are the size of
a donut hole but without any air pockets in the dough the texture is too
far from a donut for me to call it that.

Bean paste makes sense as a cooking ingredient. Peanut butter is pea
paste. Frijoles refrijoles is bean paste. Almond paste is nut paste.
All work fine as ingredients therefore paste made from sweet beans works
fine as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 1, 5:08*pm, Becca > wrote:
> There is one donut that I would not want to try, although I would give
> the others a sample. :-P
>
> http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/short...0_weirdest_don...
>
> Becca

That maple bacon one from Voodoo actually sounds good!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Terry wrote:
> >
> > Funny... one of our oriental restaurants serves what appears to be a
> > sweet bean paste-filled donut hole, covered with sesame seeds. I like
> > them for dessert. They're small rather than supersized, the sesame
> > seeds add nuttiness and the bean paste is not cloyingly sweet. And
> > they're not dry as sand like the other dessert items at the buffet.

> I love sesame balls. All of the ones around here are made with a rice
> based dough that ends up jelled not puffy. Sesame balls are the size of
> a donut hole but without any air pockets in the dough the texture is too
> far from a donut for me to call it that.

They may not have been fried at the right temperature. They are meant to
be made from rice flour, usually the glutinous sort.

> Bean paste makes sense as a cooking ingredient. Peanut butter is pea
> paste. Frijoles refrijoles is bean paste. Almond paste is nut paste.
> All work fine as ingredients therefore paste made from sweet beans works
> fine as well.

It does indeed. Red bean paste or mung bean paste work equally well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> Doug Freyburger wrote:

[snip]
>> Bean paste makes sense as a cooking ingredient. Peanut butter is pea
>> paste. Frijoles refrijoles is bean paste. Almond paste is nut paste.
>> All work fine as ingredients therefore paste made from sweet beans works
>> fine as well.

> It does indeed. Red bean paste or mung bean paste work equally well.

Many years ago, a Japanese man mentioned that one of his favorite
sandwiches was made from red bean paste. My daughter had that as
one of her school lunch staples after that.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> >
> > Doug Freyburger wrote:

> [snip]
> >> Bean paste makes sense as a cooking ingredient. Peanut butter is pea
> >> paste. Frijoles refrijoles is bean paste. Almond paste is nut paste.
> >> All work fine as ingredients therefore paste made from sweet beans works
> >> fine as well.

> > It does indeed. Red bean paste or mung bean paste work equally well.

> Many years ago, a Japanese man mentioned that one of his favorite
> sandwiches was made from red bean paste. My daughter had that as
> one of her school lunch staples after that.

Now I need to make another batch of red bean paste! Love those Japanese
dorayaki. Never available fresh around here. Must make those too
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> "Jean B." wrote:
>> Arri London wrote:
>>> Doug Freyburger wrote:

>> [snip]
>>> It does indeed. Red bean paste or mung bean paste work equally well.

>> Many years ago, a Japanese man mentioned that one of his favorite
>> sandwiches was made from red bean paste. My daughter had that as
>> one of her school lunch staples after that.
>>

> Now I need to make another batch of red bean paste! Love those Japanese
> dorayaki. Never available fresh around here. Must make those too

I have never made the paste myself. Recipe, please?

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> Arri London wrote:

> >> [snip]
> >> Many years ago, a Japanese man mentioned that one of his favorite
> >> sandwiches was made from red bean paste. My daughter had that as
> >> one of her school lunch staples after that.
> >>

> > Now I need to make another batch of red bean paste! Love those Japanese
> > dorayaki. Never available fresh around here. Must make those too

> I have never made the paste myself. Recipe, please?

Easy to do.

Boil the adzuki beans until very soft. Drain well. Mash thoroughly.
Remove the skins, if they bother you, by pushing through a sieve or use
a food mill. Add some sugar to taste and fresh lard. Usually about twice
as much lard as sugar, by volume. Heat well, with stirring until a thick
paste results. Let cool before using.

Better than the tinned paste It freezes well but not for too long.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> "Jean B." wrote:
>> Arri London wrote:
>>>>

>>> Now I need to make another batch of red bean paste! Love those Japanese
>>> dorayaki. Never available fresh around here. Must make those too

>> I have never made the paste myself. Recipe, please?

> Easy to do.
>
> Boil the adzuki beans until very soft. Drain well. Mash thoroughly.
> Remove the skins, if they bother you, by pushing through a sieve or use
> a food mill. Add some sugar to taste and fresh lard. Usually about twice
> as much lard as sugar, by volume. Heat well, with stirring until a thick
> paste results. Let cool before using.
>
> Better than the tinned paste It freezes well but not for too long.

Thanks. And I like it rough!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> Arri London wrote:

> >> I have never made the paste myself. Recipe, please?

> > Easy to do.
> >
> > Boil the adzuki beans until very soft. Drain well. Mash thoroughly.
> > Remove the skins, if they bother you, by pushing through a sieve or use
> > a food mill. Add some sugar to taste and fresh lard. Usually about twice
> > as much lard as sugar, by volume. Heat well, with stirring until a thick
> > paste results. Let cool before using.
> >
> > Better than the tinned paste It freezes well but not for too long.

> Thanks. And I like it rough!
>
> --
> Jean B.

Same here, but then I'm a lazy sod as it is....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> "Jean B." wrote:
>> Arri London wrote:

>>> Easy to do.
>>>
>>> Boil the adzuki beans until very soft. Drain well. Mash thoroughly.
>>> Remove the skins, if they bother you, by pushing through a sieve or use
>>> a food mill. Add some sugar to taste and fresh lard. Usually about twice
>>> as much lard as sugar, by volume. Heat well, with stirring until a thick
>>> paste results. Let cool before using.
>>>
>>> Better than the tinned paste It freezes well but not for too long.

>> Thanks. And I like it rough!
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Same here, but then I'm a lazy sod as it is....

LOL! Well, one reason why I like it rough is because it is easier
to spread when cold. But then I'd probably prefer some texture
anyway.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> >
> > "Jean B." wrote:

<snip>

> >> Thanks. And I like it rough!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jean B.

> > Same here, but then I'm a lazy sod as it is....

> LOL! Well, one reason why I like it rough is because it is easier
> to spread when cold. But then I'd probably prefer some texture
> anyway.

Never really thought about it. Rarely worry about removing bean skins
anyway. Maybe when I cook garbanzos/chick peas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:24:43 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

> Never really thought about it. Rarely worry about removing bean skins
> anyway. Maybe when I cook garbanzos/chick peas.

I've never cooked dried garbanzo beans... are bean skins really a
*problem* or is it just a visual thing?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:06:22 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

> Depends on who is doing the cooking LOL. Normally it isn't, but if a
> smooth puree is wanted, the skins should go. Often they just float to
> the top anyway while cooking.

Let's say I'm making hummus from dried beans... that means I'd have to
skin them by hand? What a chore!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:24:43 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
> >
> > Never really thought about it. Rarely worry about removing bean skins
> > anyway. Maybe when I cook garbanzos/chick peas.

> I've never cooked dried garbanzo beans... are bean skins really a
> *problem* or is it just a visual thing?

Depends on who is doing the cooking LOL. Normally it isn't, but if a
smooth puree is wanted, the skins should go. Often they just float to
the top anyway while cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>Let's say I'm making hummus from dried beans... that means I'd have to
>skin them by hand? What a chore!

Yes, one of the reasons I just buy TJ's hummus.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:06:22 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > Depends on who is doing the cooking LOL. Normally it isn't, but if a
> > smooth puree is wanted, the skins should go. Often they just float to
> > the top anyway while cooking.

> Let's say I'm making hummus from dried beans... that means I'd have to
> skin them by hand? What a chore!

Push them through a sieve. Doesn't take that long. Or use a food mill,
which tends to leave the skins behind anyway. Try it once at least. It
does taste better than from a tin or jar.

What's the weirdest kitchen thing you've seen? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 14 31-08-2012 02:10 AM
JOBS WORLD: International Jobs Directory - World Employment Search anInternational Employment Directory for World Jobs and World Job latha priya General Cooking 0 12-03-2012 10:06 AM
JOBS WORLD: International Jobs Directory - World Employment Search anInternational Employment Directory for World Jobs and World Job latha priya General Cooking 0 12-03-2012 10:05 AM
weirdest thing ever.. KROM Diabetic 46 31-01-2012 04:06 AM
Donuts Adam Funk General Cooking 0 13-04-2006 06:35 PM