FoodBanter.com

-   -   Ritz crackers (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/394288-ritz-crackers.html)

cory! 01-03-2010 02:53 AM

Ritz crackers

What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
-cory

Steve Pope 01-03-2010 04:13 AM

Ritz crackers

cory! > wrote:

> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide
> if there ok for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner
> party Im throwing for a friend's engagement- don't know her
> family. Help!

(Am I supposed to not answer this due to the foodbanter thing?)

There are better crackers in the world. Late July "Classic Rich"
crackers are designed to resemble Ritz crackers but are (in my opinion)
much much better.

Steve

pavane[_3_] 01-03-2010 04:30 AM

Ritz crackers

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message ...
| cory! > wrote:
|
| > What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide
| > if there ok for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner
| > party Im throwing for a friend's engagement- don't know her
| > family. Help!
|
| (Am I supposed to not answer this due to the foodbanter thing?)
|
| There are better crackers in the world. Late July "Classic Rich"
| crackers are designed to resemble Ritz crackers but are (in my opinion)
| much much better.

You are right, but I view Ritz as a classic such as saltines, Vermont
common biscuits, Uneeda biscuits, oyster crackers and the like.
They have been part of our culture and life for generations and have
a distinct place in appetizers and snacking. I can't imagine my
mother's egg salad topped with a caper-stuffed rolled anchovy on
anything but a Ritz cracker. They are unique and really don't
deserve to be tossed on the waste-pile of humanity, even though
there are some better crackers on the market. Of course there are,
but don't let the Ritz become forgotten. Please, cory! and Steve,
add a few real Ritz to the layout.

pavane

notbob 01-03-2010 04:32 AM

Ritz crackers

On 2010-03-01, cory! > wrote:

> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
> for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
> a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!

They carry no cachet on the stiff neck circuit, but ppl still like
'em. Any variation of pineapple and cream cheese and a some smokey
pork tidbit are a natural, regardless of how gauche.

nb

Stan Horwitz 01-03-2010 04:44 AM

Ritz crackers

In article >,
cory! > wrote:

> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
> for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
> a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
> -cory

I like Ritz Crackers, but as with anything involving food, it is purely
a matter of personal taste.

pavane[_3_] 01-03-2010 04:44 AM

Ritz crackers

"notbob" > wrote in message ...
| On 2010-03-01, cory! > wrote:
| >
| > What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
| > for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
| > a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
|
| They carry no cachet on the stiff neck circuit, but ppl still like
| 'em. Any variation of pineapple and cream cheese and a some smokey
| pork tidbit are a natural, regardless of how gauche.

.... and cream cheese with inexpensive caviar, or smoked salmon,
or any smoked cheese along with the smokey pork tidbits. Or a swirl
of peanut butter with a topping of a touch of honey, or even a thin
coating of butter with Vegemite on top. Or the South's infamous
pimiento cheese spread. Or a canned sardine with a squirt of lemon
juice and a touch of Tabasco. I guess I need to go buy some...

pavane

Steve B[_7_] 01-03-2010 05:48 AM

Ritz crackers

"cory!" > wrote in message

> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
> for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
> a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
> -cory

I personally, me, love Ritz crackers. Isn't their slogan "Everything tastes
great on a Ritz"? It is a standard cracker with a pleasant taste. I'd use
it. Maybe even see if they make low sodium ones.

Steve

Omelet[_7_] 01-03-2010 08:32 AM

Ritz crackers

In article >,
cory! > wrote:

> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
> for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
> a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
> -cory

They are excellent for creating appetizers. I love the buttery taste of
those things.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 01-03-2010 10:41 AM

Favorite appetizers from the Mediterranean shores?

Om wrote about Ritz crackers:

> They are excellent for creating appetizers. I love the buttery taste of
> those things.

That reminds me: Sometime in the near future I'll be making a bunch of
small-plate things for what is anticipated to be a group of five diners. The
food is all supposed to be Mediterranean-inspired (initially it was supposed
to be European, but I am *not* going to ask for recipes from Europe!)

What are some favorite appetizers from that region? (I must exclude from
consideration such things as prosciutto with melon, because melon is out of
season.)

Bob

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 01-03-2010 11:00 AM

Christine wrote:

> Why not from Europe??? That could encompass a lot of things..like the
> Danish stuff.. And Russian Zakuski.. I think I am spelling that
> right.

I've already *got* twelve appetizers planned; I don't think I need to double
that! Large as my pantry is, I don't want to go out hunting for Danish and
Russian ingredients, also.

Bob

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 01-03-2010 11:10 AM

Christine wrote:

> Wow..you must be planning quite the appetizer table!!!

I'm still open to suggestions; that's why I started this thread!

> May I invite myself to this shinding? ;)))

Depends. When are you available? :-)

Bob

Jen P. 01-03-2010 11:51 AM

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> What are some favorite appetizers from that region? (I must exclude from
> consideration such things as prosciutto with melon, because melon is out
> of season.)

How about kefta or msemen? Or were you thinking of keeping it more
along the Italian and Greek lines? I love stuffed vine leaves. Or maybe
slow-roast tomato and feta on bruschetta... like dakos, only not
salady and with roasted tomatoes. Or roasted aubergine dip, which it
nicer than it sounds. :D Um.. Hmm. In summer, I do grilled haloumi (if
you slice it very thin, it can almost go crispy and be its own cracker)
with something slightly tangy or fresh to cut the salt. I normally use
watermelon or crème fraîche with chives or something, but blood orange
sliced very thin may be quite nice. Or pomegranate seeds. I think it
might need something bright green to go with if one goes that way...
maybe some rocket or a bit of fresh sorrel.

That's what comes to mind, anyway! Sounds like a great party! Hope you
have lots of fun. :)

-Jen

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 01-03-2010 11:58 AM

Christine wrote:

> What do you have planned already? Give us some ideas of what is in your
> head?

I don't want to go into specifics, because one of the guests loves
surprises, and this forum is not all that secret, what with foodbanter, that
cycling website, and that Aussie site stealing and publishing our posts. :-)
I'll post a full report afterward.

In the meantime, what are some of your favorite Mediterranean appetizers?
Dolmas? Flatbread with dukkah? I think a paella might be a bit too big for
an appetizer, unless the number of guests increased substantially, but I'm
not ruling out pasta. I recently saw Mario Batali make little "sandwiches"
with pan-fried eggplant encasing slabs of cheese, and the whole thing topped
with chunky tomato sauce.

Bob

Omelet[_7_] 01-03-2010 12:06 PM

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote about Ritz crackers:
>
> > They are excellent for creating appetizers. I love the buttery taste of
> > those things.

> That reminds me: Sometime in the near future I'll be making a bunch of
> small-plate things for what is anticipated to be a group of five diners. The
> food is all supposed to be Mediterranean-inspired (initially it was supposed
> to be European, but I am *not* going to ask for recipes from Europe!)
>
> What are some favorite appetizers from that region? (I must exclude from
> consideration such things as prosciutto with melon, because melon is out of
> season.)
>
> Bob

Various types of gourmet olives and cheeses (especially marinated feta
or marinated fresh mozarella), Insalata Caprese, Dolmas. Think Greek and
southern Italian.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 01-03-2010 12:18 PM

Favorite appetizers from the Mediterranean shores?

Jen P suggested:

> How about kefta or msemen? Or were you thinking of keeping it more along
> the Italian and Greek lines? I love stuffed vine leaves. Or maybe
> slow-roast tomato and feta on bruschetta... like dakos, only not salady
> and with roasted tomatoes. Or roasted aubergine dip, which it nicer than
> it sounds. :D Um.. Hmm. In summer, I do grilled haloumi (if you slice it
> very thin, it can almost go crispy and be its own cracker) with something
> slightly tangy or fresh to cut the salt. I normally use watermelon or
> crème fraîche with chives or something, but blood orange sliced very thin
> may be quite nice. Or pomegranate seeds. I think it might need something
> bright green to go with if one goes that way... maybe some rocket or a bit
> of fresh sorrel.
>
> That's what comes to mind, anyway! Sounds like a great party! Hope you
> have lots of fun. :)

All very good suggestions, thanks! I'm trying *not* to keep it along Italian
or Greek lines; I want to include things which are from (or at least
inspired by) the cuisines of Spain, Italy, southern France, Greece, Morocco
(or Tunisia), Lebanon, and Turkey.

I've never worked with halloumi; does it crumble when you bend it before
cooking? Asparagus just showed up in our local farmers' market; if halloumi
is pliable I might try wrapping it around asparagus and grilling.

Bob

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 01-03-2010 12:27 PM

Om wrote:

> Various types of gourmet olives and cheeses (especially marinated feta
> or marinated fresh mozarella)

Too easy. It amounts to CHEATING, in my book!

> Insalata Caprese, Dolmas. Think Greek and southern Italian.

It's the wrong time of year for Caprese salad, though dolmas is a definite
possibility. Thanks!

Bob

Omelet[_7_] 01-03-2010 12:56 PM

"Jen P." > wrote:

> How about kefta or msemen?

I had to google those...

Kefta sounds like a glorified sausage but those spice combos sound
interesting. I like the idea of serving it with tzatziki and forming it
on sticks for dipping prior to cooking it.

For msemen you could probably just substitute Pita. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Omelet[_7_] 01-03-2010 12:57 PM

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Christine wrote:
>
> > What do you have planned already? Give us some ideas of what is in your
> > head?

> I don't want to go into specifics, because one of the guests loves
> surprises, and this forum is not all that secret, what with foodbanter, that
> cycling website, and that Aussie site stealing and publishing our posts. :-)
> I'll post a full report afterward.
>
> In the meantime, what are some of your favorite Mediterranean appetizers?
> Dolmas? Flatbread with dukkah? I think a paella might be a bit too big for
> an appetizer, unless the number of guests increased substantially, but I'm
> not ruling out pasta. I recently saw Mario Batali make little "sandwiches"
> with pan-fried eggplant encasing slabs of cheese, and the whole thing topped
> with chunky tomato sauce.
>
> Bob

I'd not do tomato sauce. Tends to be overwhelming. Consider tzatziki or
maybe a cheese sauce.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Omelet[_7_] 01-03-2010 01:07 PM

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> > Various types of gourmet olives and cheeses (especially marinated feta
> > or marinated fresh mozarella)

> Too easy. It amounts to CHEATING, in my book!

What is wrong with that? <g>

> > Insalata Caprese, Dolmas. Think Greek and southern Italian.

> It's the wrong time of year for Caprese salad, though dolmas is a definite
> possibility. Thanks!
>
> Bob

Cheers! I have fresh Basil available locally for $1.50 per bunch and
vine ripe tomatoes at Central Market in Austin, but grape or cherry
tomatoes should be available. Someone recently posted a cool recipe here
for skewered Caprese. You take one cherry or grape tomato, one basil
leaf and a cube of feta or mozarella cheese (marinated) and stick the
toothpick thru with the cheese on the bottom, the tomato on top and the
basil leaf in the middle.

To me, they were attractive and delicious looking...

I'd marinate the cheese in Balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a mix of
Italian herbs.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 01-03-2010 01:11 PM

Christine wrote:

> What do you have planned already? Give us some ideas of what is in
> your head?

I just assembled a "game plan" for cooking the appetizers I currently intend
to make. Without giving too much away, here are some of those steps:

shave parmesan
make lemon-rosemary oil
make shallot confit
roast bell peppers
reconstitute apricots
make aïoli
cut up feta
make hollandaise
mix coriander, cumin, thyme, black pepper, salt, and paprika
pit olives
reduce balsamic
plate napoleon

Hope that helps!

Bob

Omelet[_7_] 01-03-2010 01:20 PM

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Christine wrote:
>
> > What do you have planned already? Give us some ideas of what is in
> > your head?

> I just assembled a "game plan" for cooking the appetizers I currently intend
> to make. Without giving too much away, here are some of those steps:
>
> shave parmesan
> make lemon-rosemary oil
> make shallot confit
> roast bell peppers
> reconstitute apricots
> make aïoli
> cut up feta
> make hollandaise
> mix coriander, cumin, thyme, black pepper, salt, and paprika
> pit olives
> reduce balsamic
> plate napoleon
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Bob

You better "give" when you are done dear, and take some pics.
You have aroused my curiosity. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

George Shirley 01-03-2010 01:37 PM

Ritz crackers

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> cory! > wrote:
>
>> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
>> for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
>> a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
>> -cory

> They are excellent for creating appetizers. I love the buttery taste of
> those things.

The multi grain, whole wheat, and vegetable ones are nice too.

Jen P. 01-03-2010 02:01 PM

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I've never worked with halloumi; does it crumble when you bend it before
> cooking? Asparagus just showed up in our local farmers' market; if halloumi
> is pliable I might try wrapping it around asparagus and grilling.

It's.... kinda like semi-hard rubber. :) It doesn't crumble, but it
would definitely break. I don't think I've ever heated it gently (I
usually pan fry or grill it over fairly high heat), but it might be
bendy if you did that first! :)

-Jen

Jen P. 01-03-2010 02:18 PM

Omelet wrote:
> I had to google those...
> Kefta sounds like a glorified sausage but those spice combos sound
> interesting. I like the idea of serving it with tzatziki and forming
> it on sticks for dipping prior to cooking it.
>
> For msemen you could probably just substitute Pita. :-)

They're very yummy. :D Kefta (aka 'koftas', here in the UK) are a bit
like sausage, I guess... or glorified meatballs on a stick! I like cumin
and garlic with a little mint if I'm using lamb and I prefer a
tomato-based sauce to a yoghurt one, but that's just down to taste. :D

Msemen can be filled with all sorts of things and even made into
something sweet! They're nice with a brown sugar-butter-semolina filling
or with pureed dates. They're meant to be a bit like the texture of
parathas, though, so I don't think pitas would work... they're a little
hard and not bready enough. I'd sub flour tortillas, if anything,
because you can get closer to the right texture when you're frying them. :)

-Jen

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 01-03-2010 02:21 PM

Jen P. wrote:

>> I've never worked with halloumi; does it crumble when you bend it before
>> cooking? Asparagus just showed up in our local farmers' market; if
>> halloumi is pliable I might try wrapping it around asparagus and
>> grilling.

> It's.... kinda like semi-hard rubber. :) It doesn't crumble, but it would
> definitely break. I don't think I've ever heated it gently (I usually pan
> fry or grill it over fairly high heat), but it might be bendy if you did
> that first! :)

Based on that, I might cut the halloumi into a couple opposing grooved
slabs, put asparagus into the grooves, put the matching slab on top, and
grill. Maybe drizzle with lemon-infused olive oil afterward.

Thanks for the information!

Bob

Jean B.[_1_] 01-03-2010 03:10 PM

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Om wrote about Ritz crackers:
>
>> They are excellent for creating appetizers. I love the buttery taste
>> of those things.

> That reminds me: Sometime in the near future I'll be making a bunch of
> small-plate things for what is anticipated to be a group of five diners.
> The
> food is all supposed to be Mediterranean-inspired (initially it was
> supposed to be European, but I am *not* going to ask for recipes from
> Europe!)
>
> What are some favorite appetizers from that region? (I must exclude from
> consideration such things as prosciutto with melon, because melon is out
> of season.)
>
> Bob

One of my faves is butifarras con brevas (pork sausage with figs).
I haven't had it for quite a while, alas. I think the sauce
contained Port and vinegar. I would like to say balsamic vinegar,
but that may not be the case. Time to renew my acquaintance with
that dish.

--
Jean B.

All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently
opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jen P. 01-03-2010 03:23 PM

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Based on that, I might cut the halloumi into a couple opposing grooved
> slabs, put asparagus into the grooves, put the matching slab on top, and
> grill. Maybe drizzle with lemon-infused olive oil afterward.

That sounds like a good plan! I'd love to know how it works out. :)

> Thanks for the information!

Happy to be of help! I'm not often able to be of use here, so it's a
nice change. heh :)

-Jen

blake murphy[_2_] 01-03-2010 04:31 PM

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 01:41:10 -0800, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Om wrote about Ritz crackers:
>
>> They are excellent for creating appetizers. I love the buttery taste of
>> those things.

> That reminds me: Sometime in the near future I'll be making a bunch of
> small-plate things for what is anticipated to be a group of five diners. The
> food is all supposed to be Mediterranean-inspired (initially it was supposed
> to be European, but I am *not* going to ask for recipes from Europe!)
>
> What are some favorite appetizers from that region? (I must exclude from
> consideration such things as prosciutto with melon, because melon is out of
> season.)
>
> Bob

i really like taramasalata:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taramosalata>

your pal,
blake

Jean B.[_1_] 01-03-2010 05:45 PM

blake murphy wrote:
> i really like taramasalata:
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taramosalata>
>
> your pal,
> blake

Mmmmmm. BTW, I like them served with the Asian shrimp chips.
Unorthodox, but...

--
Jean B.

James Silverton[_4_] 01-03-2010 05:53 PM

Jean wrote on Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:45:09 -0500:

> blake murphy wrote:
>> i really like taramasalata:
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taramosalata>
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Mmmmmm. BTW, I like them served with the Asian shrimp chips.
> Unorthodox, but...

Now you've done it with your shrimp chips :-) Taramosalata from cod or
carp might well be kosher even if real caviar is not. (I like to remind
people of rules that I have no regard for!)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Jean B.[_1_] 01-03-2010 06:15 PM

James Silverton wrote:
> Jean wrote on Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:45:09 -0500:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:
>>> i really like taramasalata: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taramosalata>
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> Mmmmmm. BTW, I like them served with the Asian shrimp chips.
>> Unorthodox, but...

> Now you've done it with your shrimp chips :-) Taramosalata from cod or
> carp might well be kosher even if real caviar is not. (I like to remind
> people of rules that I have no regard for!)

Some may find those reminders useful. Hmmm. I may have to get
some shrimp chips myself--and check on whether I need to go to the
Middle Eastern stores in the very near future. (Watertown, of
course, Tracy.)

Dan Abel 01-03-2010 06:19 PM

Ritz crackers

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> "cory!" > wrote in message
> >
> > What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
> > for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
> > a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
> > -cory

> I personally, me, love Ritz crackers. Isn't their slogan "Everything tastes
> great on a Ritz"? It is a standard cracker with a pleasant taste. I'd use
> it. Maybe even see if they make low sodium ones.

Yup:

http://www.nabiscoworld.com/Ritz/varieties.aspx

Half the sodium.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

James Silverton[_4_] 01-03-2010 06:24 PM

Ritz crackers

Dan wrote on Mon, 01 Mar 2010 09:19:15 -0800:

>> "cory!" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to
> >> decide if there ok for me to use as part of an appetizer
> >> for a dinner party Im throwing for a friend's engagement-
> >> don't know her family. Help! -cory

>> I personally, me, love Ritz crackers. Isn't their slogan
>> "Everything tastes great on a Ritz"? It is a standard
>> cracker with a pleasant taste. I'd use it. Maybe even see
>> if they make low sodium ones.

> Yup:

> http://www.nabiscoworld.com/Ritz/varieties.aspx

> Half the sodium.

Personally, I like Wheat Thins and they come low-sodium too.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Chemo the Clown 01-03-2010 06:26 PM

Ritz crackers

On Feb 28, 5:53*pm, cory! > wrote:
> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
> for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
> a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
> -cory
>
> --
> cory!

I suppose if most of your family has names like Joe Boy or Bubba then
Ritz are probably ok. If on the other hand your family is say, part of
the Kardashian clan...then I'd go with a more snooty cracker.

Tracy[_2_] 01-03-2010 06:39 PM

Jean B. wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
>> Jean wrote on Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:45:09 -0500:

>>> Mmmmmm. BTW, I like them served with the Asian shrimp chips.
>>> Unorthodox, but...

>> Now you've done it with your shrimp chips :-) Taramosalata from cod or
>> carp might well be kosher even if real caviar is not. (I like to
>> remind people of rules that I have no regard for!)
>>

> Some may find those reminders useful. Hmmm. I may have to get some
> shrimp chips myself--and check on whether I need to go to the Middle
> Eastern stores in the very near future. (Watertown, of course, Tracy.)

:-)

I need to go myself. I need semolina for couscous.

-Tracy

Jean B.[_1_] 01-03-2010 06:56 PM

Tracy wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> James Silverton wrote:

>>> Now you've done it with your shrimp chips :-) Taramosalata from cod
>>> or carp might well be kosher even if real caviar is not. (I like to
>>> remind people of rules that I have no regard for!)
>>>

>> Some may find those reminders useful. Hmmm. I may have to get some
>> shrimp chips myself--and check on whether I need to go to the Middle
>> Eastern stores in the very near future. (Watertown, of course, Tracy.)
>>

> :-)
>
> I need to go myself. I need semolina for couscous.
>
> -Tracy

Very useful destination. Hmmm. I am reminded of the bakery in
the square, which I STILL haven't tried. Hmmm. I wonder whether
my daughter would deign to go to Deluxe Diner, which she claims to
hate.

Dimitri 01-03-2010 08:16 PM

Ritz crackers

"cory!" > wrote in message

> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
> for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
> a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
> -cory
>

> --
> cory!

Do you remember the opening party from the Godfather II?

Pentangelie <sp> said the waiter came by and asked if he would like a
can-of-peas He said "Sure" and he said "the waiter brought me a Ritz cracker
wit a piece of something"

Where's the sausage and peppers?

I rest my case

:-)

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

sf[_9_] 01-03-2010 08:53 PM

Favorite appetizers from the Mediterranean shores?

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 02:00:46 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> I've already *got* twelve appetizers planned;

*Twelve* appetizers for only five people? That's too much food if you
plan to serve dinner too. I'm full just thinking about it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Zeppo[_2_] 01-03-2010 09:17 PM

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Om wrote about Ritz crackers:
>
>> They are excellent for creating appetizers. I love the buttery taste of
>> those things.

> That reminds me: Sometime in the near future I'll be making a bunch of
> small-plate things for what is anticipated to be a group of five diners.
> The
> food is all supposed to be Mediterranean-inspired (initially it was
> supposed to be European, but I am *not* going to ask for recipes from
> Europe!)
>
> What are some favorite appetizers from that region? (I must exclude from
> consideration such things as prosciutto with melon, because melon is out
> of season.)
>
> Bob

How about a small plate with a slice of fresh mozzarella, an artichoke
heart, a piece of roasted pepper and a slice of roasted eggplant, drizzled
with some really good EVOO? Another could be some sautéed chanterelles (and
maybe a little shaved truffle) with a bit of shaved parmesan.

Jon

Omelet[_7_] 01-03-2010 09:45 PM

"Jen P." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > I had to google those...
> > Kefta sounds like a glorified sausage but those spice combos sound
> > interesting. I like the idea of serving it with tzatziki and forming
> > it on sticks for dipping prior to cooking it.
> >
> > For msemen you could probably just substitute Pita. :-)

> They're very yummy. :D Kefta (aka 'koftas', here in the UK) are a bit
> like sausage, I guess... or glorified meatballs on a stick! I like cumin
> and garlic with a little mint if I'm using lamb and I prefer a
> tomato-based sauce to a yoghurt one, but that's just down to taste. :D

Thanks muchly for posting that. :-) I'm always up for an education and
new cooking/flavor ideas!

> Msemen can be filled with all sorts of things and even made into
> something sweet! They're nice with a brown sugar-butter-semolina filling
> or with pureed dates. They're meant to be a bit like the texture of
> parathas, though, so I don't think pitas would work... they're a little
> hard and not bready enough. I'd sub flour tortillas, if anything,
> because you can get closer to the right texture when you're frying them. :)
>
> -Jen

Hm, not a bad suggestion, but they'd have to be thick ones!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe: