Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favorite appetizers from the Mediterranean shores?

In article >,
"Jen P." > wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > Based on that, I might cut the halloumi into a couple opposing grooved
> > slabs, put asparagus into the grooves, put the matching slab on top, and
> > grill. Maybe drizzle with lemon-infused olive oil afterward.

> That sounds like a good plan! I'd love to know how it works out.
>
> > Thanks for the information!

> Happy to be of help! I'm not often able to be of use here, so it's a
> nice change. heh
>
> -Jen

You need to post more often Jen. Please? :-)
I'm always up for new foods that are not on my usual menu!

New flavor combo ideas are a real joy and accent a low carb diet. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote on Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:53:35 -0800:

>> I've already *got* twelve appetizers planned;

> *Twelve* appetizers for only five people? That's too much
> food if you plan to serve dinner too. I'm full just thinking
> about it.

Making a meal of "appetizers" is not uncommon in Greek meals:- mezze (I
think that's how it is spelled). There is a quite good local Lebanese
restaurant where such a mezze is also a speciality. I remember having a
mezze meal in a Cypriot restaurant in London and, at the next table, a
bunch of guys speaking Greek did the same. The only difference was that
they used Johnny Walker to wash the food down.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> What are some favorite appetizers from that region?

- hummus
- patatas bravas
- baba gannouj, or patlican salatasi, or patlican ezmesi, or caviar
provençale
- some kind of pté
- crostini
- mousse di prosciutto (cotto)
- pinzimonio/cazzimperio
- anchoïade
- champignons à la grecque
- ratatouille or caponata
- céleri-rave à la sauce moutarde/céleri rémoulade
- khiar bi laban or tsatsiki

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ritz crackers

On Feb 28, 8:53*pm, cory! > wrote:
> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
> for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for

ea friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!

If you aren't out to impress anyone and wish to save a few bucks, go
ahead. If the booze is flowing, no one'll notice or care. If they
do, then they're turds not worth your concern.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Some more possibilities a

Baccala
Olives
Salumi
Herb- or spice-flavored glacee or gelato
Gnocchi (Salerno definition of gnoccho)

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > cory! > wrote:
> >
> >> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
> >> for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
> >> a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
> >> -cory

> > They are excellent for creating appetizers. I love the buttery taste of
> > those things.

> The multi grain, whole wheat, and vegetable ones are nice too.

If I was not low carbing, I'd check that out.<sigh>
I do miss crackers!

Wheat makes me so sick tho' anymore. :-(
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

> I do miss crackers!

> Wheat makes me so sick tho' anymore. :-(

TJ's has a wheat-free rice-based cracker that is not bad.
(I assume there are equivalent non-TJ's products but have
not looked into it.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
On Feb 28, 5:53 pm, cory! > wrote:
> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
> for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
> a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
> -cory
>
> --
> cory!

I suppose if most of your family has names like Joe Boy or Bubba then
Ritz are probably ok. If on the other hand your family is say, part of
the Kardashian clan...then I'd go with a more snooty cracker.

reply: Shouldn't that read "snortable" cracker?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

> (Steve Pope) wrote:

>> Gnocchi (Salerno definition of gnoccho)

>I'll second that one.

Except that I should spell gnocco correctly!

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:46:38 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote:
>>
>> > I do miss crackers!

Triscuits are the best, especially cracked pepper & olive oil.

http://www.nabiscoworld.com/Brands/b...Id=91&PageNo=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> What are some favorite appetizers from that region? (I must exclude from
> consideration such things as prosciutto with melon, because melon is out of
> season.)

I like a squid or octopus salad. Cut your favorite cephalopod into bite
size pieces. For squid, just blanch in broth. For octopus, simmer until
tender. Then mix with chopped red onions, garlic, chopped parsley,
capers (the large ones), good olive oil, and lemon juice. Let sit for an
hour or two before serving. It's good served with crusty bread. This is
from the Dalmatian coast.

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 01:41:10 -0800, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Om wrote about Ritz crackers:
>
>> They are excellent for creating appetizers. I love the buttery taste of
>> those things.

I prefer parallelograms. Keebler Club (not the HFC brand). Ritz
are sweet, Club less so.

> That reminds me: Sometime in the near future I'll be making a bunch of
> small-plate things for what is anticipated to be a group of five diners. The
> food is all supposed to be Mediterranean-inspired (initially it was supposed
> to be European, but I am *not* going to ask for recipes from Europe!)
>
> What are some favorite appetizers from that region? (I must exclude from
> consideration such things as prosciutto with melon, because melon is out of
> season.)

We just got a decent batch of cantaloupes. $1/each.

"Canteloupes"? I think my spell-checker is on the fritz. That's
not the spelling I know.

Weird. Everybody but Wikipedia got it wrong:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...es&btnG=Search

And yes, have been able to find the "Italian" cantalopes for the
last several years. I have no idea what that babble about
Eastern/Western Shipper and musk is about. I just know that it's a
bitch finding consistent and ripe cantelopes. I shake the thing and
feel the "peduncle". Mainly that's just for show - to make other
shoppers make it look like I know what I'm doing. If people look at
me funny, then I thump it against my forehead and pretend I'm
listening for sound.

-sw

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 03:18:25 -0800, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> All very good suggestions, thanks! I'm trying *not* to keep it along Italian
> or Greek lines; I want to include things which are from (or at least
> inspired by) the cuisines of Spain, Italy, southern France, Greece, Morocco
> (or Tunisia), Lebanon, and Turkey.

Lebanon Bologna Rolls. Spread pieces of Lebanon bologna with 12.5x
it's weight in herbed neufchatel cheese and stick it. With a
toothpick.

I actually prefer neufchatel cheese over cream cheese. Herbs I use
dill or basil, and maybe a touch of onion powder. Or ranch dressing
mix (if using onion powder or ranch mix, mix well and let cheese
rest overnight).

We all have a deceptively simple trash appetizer recipe that brings
lots of compliments. And that is mine.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> I need to go myself. I need semolina for couscous.

You make couscous from scratch?

Bob, awestruck

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo wrote:

> How about a small plate with a slice of fresh mozzarella, an artichoke
> heart, a piece of roasted pepper and a slice of roasted eggplant, drizzled
> with some really good EVOO?

That sounds good (as I add it to the list of candidates). I recently read of
someone putting an uncooked artichoke heart in a boil-in bag with the brine
from green olives and cooking it until tender; I might give that a try and
then finish it the way you describe.

> Another could be some sautéed chanterelles (and maybe a little shaved
> truffle) with a bit of shaved parmesan.

I'm already planning to feature chanterelles prominently in another dish,
though what you write sounds very good also.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor wrote:

> - hummus
> - patatas bravas
> - baba gannouj, or patlican salatasi, or patlican ezmesi, or caviar
> provençale
> - some kind of pté
> - crostini
> - mousse di prosciutto (cotto)
> - pinzimonio/cazzimperio
> - anchoïade
> - champignons à la grecque
> - ratatouille or caponata
> - céleri-rave à la sauce moutarde/céleri rémoulade
> - khiar bi laban or tsatsiki

I think I'll make some of those right now, without waiting for the party!
Thanks.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Don wrote:

> I like a squid or octopus salad. Cut your favorite cephalopod into bite
> size pieces. For squid, just blanch in broth. For octopus, simmer until
> tender. Then mix with chopped red onions, garlic, chopped parsley,
> capers (the large ones), good olive oil, and lemon juice. Let sit for an
> hour or two before serving. It's good served with crusty bread. This is
> from the Dalmatian coast.

Squid salad was one of my initial thoughts, but then I found out that one of
the guests is not crazy about squid. I might do it anyway; it's not like
that person won't have plenty of other things to eat.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> One of my faves is butifarras con brevas (pork sausage with figs). I
> haven't had it for quite a while, alas. I think the sauce contained Port
> and vinegar. I would like to say balsamic vinegar, but that may not be
> the case. Time to renew my acquaintance with that dish.

Are the figs dried or fresh?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.nabiscoworld.com/Brands/b...ogType=1&Brand
> Key=triscuit&BrandLink=/triscuit/&BrandId=91&PageNo=1

I like wheat thins. ;-d

Wheat is making me so sick nowadays tho'. I always end up having to
regurgitate it any more... The wheat intolerance issue has gotten worse
as I get older.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Thanks muchly for posting that. :-) I'm always up for an education and
> new cooking/flavor ideas!

I'm the same! I'm no expert, but I knows what I likes. I've learned
a lot from this group over the years, but I'm also lucky to live in a
fairly cosmopolitan area - nothing like London, but still not bad for a
smallish city - and work with people from everywhere in the world. It
also helps that any conversation with me turns to food at some point, so
I learn bits and bobs all the time.

Right... back to work! This FAQ won't write itself!

-Jen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> One of my faves is butifarras con brevas (pork sausage with figs). I
>> haven't had it for quite a while, alas. I think the sauce contained Port
>> and vinegar. I would like to say balsamic vinegar, but that may not be
>> the case. Time to renew my acquaintance with that dish.

> Are the figs dried or fresh?
>
> Bob

IIRC, dried. It is worthwhile to experiment with those flavors.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> I'm trying *not* to keep it along Italian or Greek lines; I
> want to include things which are from (or at least inspired by)
> the cuisines of Spain, Italy, southern France, Greece, Morocco
> (or Tunisia), Lebanon, and Turkey.

Spanish ideas a

Get hold of some padrones peppers from Happy Quail Farms,
and serve those... they require a quick sauteeing until
they blister.

or,

Piquillo peppers stuffed with crab.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 12:56*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Tracy wrote:
> > Jean B. wrote:

> >> Some may find those reminders useful. *Hmmm. *I may have to get some
> >> shrimp chips myself--and check on whether I need to go to the Middle
> >> Eastern stores in the very near future. *(Watertown, of course, Tracy.)

> > :-)

> > I need to go myself. I need semolina for couscous.

> > -Tracy

> Very useful destination. *Hmmm. *I am reminded of the bakery in
> the square, which I STILL haven't tried. *Hmmm. *I wonder whether
> my daughter would deign to go to Deluxe Diner, which she claims to
> hate.
>
> --
> Jean B.

I have only been to the Deluxe once. I liked it a lot. Very crowded
though and we had to wait in line for a bit.
I'd go out for breakfast more often if I could. I love breakfast out.

I cannot envision a bakery in Watertown Square, but I am not there
very often, so that is not a surprise! Last time was a couple months
ago - had lunch at the Upper Crust.

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 14:56:59 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:

> On Feb 28, 8:53*pm, cory! > wrote:
>> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
>> for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for

> ea friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
>
> If you aren't out to impress anyone and wish to save a few bucks, go
> ahead. If the booze is flowing, no one'll notice or care. If they
> do, then they're turds not worth your concern.

exactly. if these people are going to look down on you for using ritz
crackers, **** 'em.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 11:26*am, Chemo the Clown > wrote:

> I suppose if most of your family has names like Joe Boy or Bubba then
> Ritz are probably ok. If on the other hand your family is say, part of
> the Kardashian clan...then I'd go with a more snooty cracker.

Yeah, because those Kardashian broads are SO classy......LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote

.... But coming from somebody who 'skins
> her own squid' I just found your comments amusing.
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Squid has skin? Before I got out a lot, I lived in Texas. I thought that
all squid and mullet were good for were bait. The thought of eating either
one never occurred to me. Since, I have eaten both.

But until now, I never new squid had skins.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

.... The wheat intolerance issue has gotten worse
> as I get older.
> --
> Peace! Om

My biggest intolerance is intolerant people. Ugh!

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"projectile vomit chick" > wrote in message
On Mar 1, 11:26 am, Chemo the Clown > wrote:

> I suppose if most of your family has names like Joe Boy or Bubba then
> Ritz are probably ok. If on the other hand your family is say, part of
> the Kardashian clan...then I'd go with a more snooty cracker.

Yeah, because those Kardashian broads are SO classy......LOL

reply: And SO broad! The two axe handle type. Is there an inflator on
that thing?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 15:06:03 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 14:56:59 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:
>
>> On Feb 28, 8:53*pm, cory! > wrote:
>>> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
>>> for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for

>> ea friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
>>
>> If you aren't out to impress anyone and wish to save a few bucks, go
>> ahead. If the booze is flowing, no one'll notice or care. If they
>> do, then they're turds not worth your concern.

>exactly. if these people are going to look down on you for using ritz
>crackers, **** 'em.

Who cares what kinda crackers with caviar and bubbly... I'm a cheap
date, I'll have matzo,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 1:30*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> "projectile vomit chick" > wrote in ...
> On Mar 1, 11:26 am, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>

> > I suppose if most of your family has names like Joe Boy or Bubba then
> > Ritz are probably ok. If on the other hand your family is say, part of
> > the Kardashian clan...then I'd go with a more snooty cracker.

> Yeah, because those Kardashian broads are SO classy......LOL
>
> reply: *And SO broad! *The two axe handle type. *Is there an inflator on
> that thing?
>
> Steve

Top line bredding stock, that's for sure. I don't care if they can
talk, add, subtract or what...they got hot bods!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> On Mar 1, 12:56 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Tracy wrote:
>>> :-)
>>> I need to go myself. I need semolina for couscous.
>>> -Tracy

>> Very useful destination. Hmmm. I am reminded of the bakery in
>> the square, which I STILL haven't tried. Hmmm. I wonder whether
>> my daughter would deign to go to Deluxe Diner, which she claims to
>> hate.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.
>>

> I have only been to the Deluxe once. I liked it a lot. Very crowded
> though and we had to wait in line for a bit.
> I'd go out for breakfast more often if I could. I love breakfast out.
>
> I cannot envision a bakery in Watertown Square, but I am not there
> very often, so that is not a surprise! Last time was a couple months
> ago - had lunch at the Upper Crust.
>

> -Tracy

Ah. I go to Deluxe at off times precisely to avoid the crowds.
The last time I had ployes with blueberries (couldn't decide
between buckwheat and blueberries, sooo...). They really hit the
spot. I'd like to know whose ham they are using now. It was
splendid.

I want to say the bakery is named Tabriz, but I am probably making
that up.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:
>projectile vomit chick wrote:
>>ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> <snipped for space>

<Snipped for TASTE IN ASShole DISEASE>

Imagine, people actually eat fungi and fish... SICK!

>>> * <snork>
>>>
>>> Just because the recipe Stu posted intimidates the the hell outta
>>> your<not-so-good>self, kindly remember that not *all* posters on this
>>> group are as useless at cooking as you are.

>>Wow, an "insult" from someone that passes out imaginary tinfoil
>>beanies on the internet and conducts useless "polls".....your opinion
>>means *so much* to me. HAHAHA

>Vomit Bitch speaketh, best listen
>
>or laugh at her HAHAHA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chemo Phony was: Ritz crackers

Chemo the Phony Mother****er wrote:

>On Mar 2, 1:30*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
>> "projectile vomit chick" > wrote in ...
>> On Mar 1, 11:26 am, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>>

>> > I suppose if most of your family has names like Joe Boy or Bubba then
>> > Ritz are probably ok. If on the other hand your family is say, part of
>> > the Kardashian clan...then I'd go with a more snooty cracker.

>> Yeah, because those Kardashian broads are SO classy......LOL
>>
>> reply: *And SO broad! *The two axe handle type. *Is there an inflator on
>> that thing?
>>
>> Steve

>Top line bredding stock.

Bredding... WTF!

Chemo The Phony... get yer dumb ass outta here... NOW!

You offensive little piece of clown shit, I got yer number, I'm gonna
tweak yer phony brown nose til you cry mama!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 14:56:59 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:
>
> > On Feb 28, 8:53*pm, cory! > wrote:
> >> What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
> >> for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for

> > ea friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
> >
> > If you aren't out to impress anyone and wish to save a few bucks, go
> > ahead. If the booze is flowing, no one'll notice or care. If they
> > do, then they're turds not worth your concern.

> exactly. if these people are going to look down on you for using ritz
> crackers, **** 'em.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Exactly. Wheat thins too. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote
>
> ... But coming from somebody who 'skins
> > her own squid' I just found your comments amusing.
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> Squid has skin? Before I got out a lot, I lived in Texas. I thought that
> all squid and mullet were good for were bait. The thought of eating either
> one never occurred to me. Since, I have eaten both.
>
> But until now, I never new squid had skins.
>
> Steve

Did you view my prep series on Picassa albums?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
>
> ... The wheat intolerance issue has gotten worse
> > as I get older.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> My biggest intolerance is intolerant people. Ugh!
>
> Steve

Sorry, but I feel sorry for you.
I'd be very lonely without other people!

I'm a people person. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

projectile vomit chick wrote:

> Wow, an "insult" from someone that passes out imaginary tinfoil
> beanies on the internet and conducts useless "polls".....your opinion
> means *so much* to me. HAHAHA

Honestly PVC, if you want a TFH so much, you're welcome to one. Besides,
there's not just beanies in the catalog - sure you'd look stunning in
the tiara...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

> My biggest intolerance is intolerant people. Ugh!

Same here.

Death to fanatics!

Bob