Old 28-02-2010, 12:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food imported to US from Chile

I know that the United States receives quite a lot winter fruits from
Chile. I would assume that these supplies will be kept in Chile for
the country's own use. Also I guess there is salmon, bass and maybe
other fish imported from Chile. Are there other items we receive from
this country, and will they be in short supply in the coming months.
Hopefully Chile will take care of their own people before exporting
food.

Tom

Old 28-02-2010, 01:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
I know that the United States receives quite a lot winter fruits from
Chile. I would assume that these supplies will be kept in Chile for
the country's own use. Also I guess there is salmon, bass and maybe
other fish imported from Chile. Are there other items we receive from
this country, and will they be in short supply in the coming months.
Hopefully Chile will take care of their own people before exporting
food.

Tom

One way to take care of their own people is to export the food and take our
money to buy what they need. The earthquake may destroy some food in a
market today, but if the crops are still growing, they can only eat so much
of the grapes they grow. The rest will be on sale for 99¢ a pound and allow
them to buy other needed goods.

There may be some interruptions since the airport in Santiago is closed, but
fishing boats did not get crushed, farmland did not get squashed. The
fruits will continue to grow. Exporting is on way they take care of their
people.

Old 28-02-2010, 01:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
" wrote:

I know that the United States receives quite a lot winter fruits from
Chile. I would assume that these supplies will be kept in Chile for
the country's own use. Also I guess there is salmon, bass and maybe
other fish imported from Chile. Are there other items we receive from
this country, and will they be in short supply in the coming months.
Hopefully Chile will take care of their own people before exporting
food.

Tom

Good question. I just did a google search on "Chilean imports" and I
received lots of hits. I have to do some errands now, but if you read
through some of the results that this Google search returns, you might
find an answer to your question.
Old 28-02-2010, 04:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

One way to take care of their own people is to export the food

and
take our money to buy what they need. The earthquake may destroy

some
food in a market today, but if the crops are still growing, they

can
only eat so much of the grapes they grow. The rest will be on

sale
for 99¢ a pound and allow them to buy other needed goods.

There may be some interruptions since the airport in Santiago is
closed, but fishing boats did not get crushed, farmland did not

get
squashed. The fruits will continue to grow. Exporting is on

way
they take care of their people.

I claim total ignorance when it comes to economics and commerce

but
this makes complete sense to me.

Same here, with a degree in economics
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosé

Old 28-02-2010, 11:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
" wrote:

I know that the United States receives quite a lot winter fruits from
Chile. I would assume that these supplies will be kept in Chile for
the country's own use. Also I guess there is salmon, bass and maybe
other fish imported from Chile. Are there other items we receive from
this country, and will they be in short supply in the coming months.
Hopefully Chile will take care of their own people before exporting
food.

Tom

I've no idea about Chili, but I know that Texas produce prices are
decent even out of season due to imports from Mexico.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 01-03-2010, 03:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message
I know that the United States receives quite a lot winter fruits from
Chile. I would assume that these supplies will be kept in Chile for
the country's own use.

One way to take care of their own people is to export the food and take
our money to buy what they need. The earthquake may destroy some food in
a market today, but if the crops are still growing, they can only eat so
much of the grapes they grow. The rest will be on sale for 99¢ a pound
and allow them to buy other needed goods.

There may be some interruptions since the airport in Santiago is closed,
but fishing boats did not get crushed, farmland did not get squashed.
The fruits will continue to grow. Exporting is on way they take care
of their people.

In addition to getting foreign currency in trade, exporting the food
provides job at the local level.

gloria p
Old 01-03-2010, 04:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 20:27:07 -0700, "gloria.p"
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message
I know that the United States receives quite a lot winter fruits from
Chile. I would assume that these supplies will be kept in Chile for
the country's own use.

One way to take care of their own people is to export the food and take
our money to buy what they need. The earthquake may destroy some food in
a market today, but if the crops are still growing, they can only eat so
much of the grapes they grow. The rest will be on sale for 99¢ a pound
and allow them to buy other needed goods.

There may be some interruptions since the airport in Santiago is closed,
but fishing boats did not get crushed, farmland did not get squashed.
The fruits will continue to grow. Exporting is on way they take care
of their people.

In addition to getting foreign currency in trade, exporting the food
provides job at the local level.

I guess Hawaii is safe from a tsunami.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-10461062-36.html

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 17:17:39 +0100, ViLco wrote:

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

[...]

i think the basic flaw in economics is that it assumes people are rational
actors in the marketplace. they don't seem to be so in any other realm,
why should they be so there?

your pal,
blake