Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canned white beans

Is there really any appreciable difference in varieties or is it a
matter of preference? Great northern, navy, cannellini, maya coba.
Canned, not dried and cooked.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Is there really any appreciable difference in varieties or is it a
> matter of preference? Great northern, navy, cannellini, maya coba.
> Canned, not dried and cooked.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
> Breaded Pork Tenderloin, 2-18-2010

I've never seen a dimes worth of difference, but that's just me.....and it
depends on what you are making as to whether or not to use canned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> Is there really any appreciable difference in varieties or is it a
>> matter of preference? Great northern, navy, cannellini, maya coba.
>> Canned, not dried and cooked.
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
>> Breaded Pork Tenderloin, 2-18-2010

> I've never seen a dimes worth of difference, but that's just me.....and it
> depends on what you are making as to whether or not to use canned.

I'm sure there are technical differences, but from a practical point of
view I've never seen them.

EJ in NJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Is there really any appreciable difference in varieties or is it a
> matter of preference? Great northern, navy, cannellini, maya coba.
> Canned, not dried and cooked.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
> Breaded Pork Tenderloin, 2-18-2010

I've made very good soups with both great northern and navy beans. Never
actually looked for cannellini beans; I used navy beans the one time I made
minestrone and it turned out fine. Just my experience.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> I wouldn't classify maya coba as white beans,

No? Guess I'll have to look again. :-\
Thanks, Ranee.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Breaded Pork Tenderloin, 2-18-2010

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Is there really any appreciable difference in varieties or is it a
> matter of preference? Great northern, navy, cannellini, maya coba.
> Canned, not dried and cooked.

Major major with Navy beans. There is no other bean like a Navy bean, that I
have tasted. Such a delicate flavor and unusual texture. Kind of brittle
(not quite the right word) skin and tender on the inside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Is there really any appreciable difference in varieties or is it a >
> matter of preference? Great northern, navy, cannellini, maya coba.
> Canned, not dried and cooked.

I think them quite different, which is why it's a matter of taste. No?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 9:05*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> Is there really any appreciable difference in varieties or is it a
> matter of preference? *Great northern, navy, cannellini, maya coba. *
> Canned, not dried and cooked.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
> Breaded Pork Tenderloin, 2-18-2010

I try to keep all varieties on hand, but at times I've substituted one
for t'other. Last night I wanted black beans, but subbed navy. Not
much taste difference (was using in a lobster sauce).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 05:16:35 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:

> On Feb 27, 9:05*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
>> Is there really any appreciable difference in varieties or is it a
>> matter of preference? *Great northern, navy, cannellini, maya coba. *
>> Canned, not dried and cooked.
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
>> Breaded Pork Tenderloin, 2-18-2010

> I try to keep all varieties on hand, but at times I've substituted one
> for t'other. Last night I wanted black beans, but subbed navy. Not
> much taste difference (was using in a lobster sauce).

i think black beans have a taste easily distinguished from (at least) navy
and great northern. they taste 'meatier' to me, if that makes sense.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Is there really any appreciable difference in varieties or is it a
> matter of preference? Great northern, navy, cannellini, maya

coba.
> Canned, not dried and cooked.

Some differences, if you take a while to search for them, are in
there. The skind can be thin or thich, think about cannellini and
pinto. And the flavor itself can vary a lot, I was amazed the first
time I had a dish made of three different italian beans: "fagioli
del purgatorio" from gradoli, in northern Tuscany, very savoury and
a lil' sweet, and cannellini from Siena, much smoother both in
texture and taste, and then borlotti, more granular in texture and
much more intense in its taste.
Just buy 3 different kinds of beans, the ones you like, and cook
them all sparately but in the same way, the most simple recipe you
know, and then taste them one near the other. The differences
themselves will tell you better than what I can
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosé

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

>> I try to keep all varieties on hand, but at times I've

substituted
>> one for t'other. Last night I wanted black beans, but subbed

navy.
>> Not much taste difference (was using in a lobster sauce).

> i think black beans have a taste easily distinguished from (at

least)
> navy and great northern. they taste 'meatier' to me, if that

makes
> sense.

It makes sense indeed, I find the same to be true about borlotti
beans. Meatier, yep
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosé

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 11:25 am, "ViLco" > wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Is there really any appreciable difference in varieties or is it a
> > matter of preference? Great northern, navy, cannellini, maya

> coba.
> > Canned, not dried and cooked.

> Some differences, if you take a while to search for them, are in
> there. The skind can be thin or thich, think about cannellini and
> pinto. And the flavor itself can vary a lot, I was amazed the first
> time I had a dish made of three different italian beans: "fagioli
> del purgatorio" from gradoli, in northern Tuscany, very savoury and
> a lil' sweet, and cannellini from Siena, much smoother both in
> texture and taste, and then borlotti, more granular in texture and
> much more intense in its taste.
> Just buy 3 different kinds of beans, the ones you like, and cook
> them all sparately but in the same way, the most simple recipe you
> know, and then taste them one near the other. The differences
> themselves will tell you better than what I can
> --
> Vilco
> Don't think pink: drink rosé

Yeah. Mostly beans is beans. Some outliers like lintel, garbanzo,
fava, but mostly they all just beans. Different but the same. Eat
what you like, or what you have. A mix of red, white, black, pinto
make the dish prettier, but they are all just beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-02-28, EJ Willson > wrote:

> I'm sure there are technical differences, but from a practical point of
> view I've never seen them.

Not really. Plain canned beans are usually jes water, salt, beans,
cooked in can under pressure. If anything, it's a superior product,
the beans being typically canned fresh from the field, not dried.
Obviously, stuff like pork 'n beans, chili, etc, have additions other
than jes salt and water.

nb -vet cannery droid
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-02-28, Michael "Dog3" > wrote:

> Depends on what I'm putting them in. I've never used the maya coba but when
> I'm making ham and beans I'll use Great Northern. Navy beans go in the
> Senate Bean soup. I use either of them in a multitude of recipes.
> Cannellini will go into some soups I make and some salads. Why do I do
> this? I don't have a clue.

I can't imagine being able to find maya coba beans but not cannellini
beans. In fact, I've never even heard of MC beans, canned or dry.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:46:10 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

> i think black beans have a taste easily distinguished from (at least) navy
> and great northern. they taste 'meatier' to me, if that makes sense.

Have you ever tried pinto beans? Those are the meaty ones AFAIC.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 18:40:03 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> I can't imagine being able to find maya coba beans but not cannellini
> beans. In fact, I've never even heard of MC beans, canned or dry.

Me either. I've only seen MC beans mentioned here, had to travel out
of town to find dried cannellini, but can find them canned pretty
easily.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 08:50:19 -0800 (PST), bulka
> wrote:
>
> Yeah. Mostly beans is beans. Some outliers like lintel, garbanzo,
> fava, but mostly they all just beans. Different but the same. Eat
> what you like, or what you have. A mix of red, white, black, pinto
> make the dish prettier, but they are all just beans.

In the same way that beef is beef.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-02-28, sf > wrote:

> of town to find dried cannellini, but can find them canned pretty
> easily.

Agreed. Even in Eyebrow CO, I can get Kroger brand. Besides, I don't
think it matters in the bigger picture. Minestrone is pretty much a
cook what ya got kinda Spring veggie soup. I have certain dos and
don'ts (NO celery, lotsa carrots), but most any white bean is a go.

We were talking minestrone, weren't we?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 05:16:35 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:
>
> > On Feb 27, 9:05*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> > wrote:
> >> Is there really any appreciable difference in varieties or is it a
> >> matter of preference? *Great northern, navy, cannellini, maya coba. *
> >> Canned, not dried and cooked.
> >> --
> >> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
> >> Breaded Pork Tenderloin, 2-18-2010

> > I try to keep all varieties on hand, but at times I've substituted one
> > for t'other. Last night I wanted black beans, but subbed navy. Not
> > much taste difference (was using in a lobster sauce).

> i think black beans have a taste easily distinguished from (at least) navy
> and great northern. they taste 'meatier' to me, if that makes sense.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Yes it does and I agree.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:46:10 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> i think black beans have a taste easily distinguished from (at least)
>> navy
>> and great northern. they taste 'meatier' to me, if that makes sense.

> Have you ever tried pinto beans? Those are the meaty ones AFAIC.

Pinto and black are both substantial.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 20:34:49 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-02-28, sf > wrote:
>
> > of town to find dried cannellini, but can find them canned pretty
> > easily.

> Agreed. Even in Eyebrow CO, I can get Kroger brand. Besides, I don't
> think it matters in the bigger picture. Minestrone is pretty much a
> cook what ya got kinda Spring veggie soup. I have certain dos and
> don'ts (NO celery, lotsa carrots), but most any white bean is a go.
>
> We were talking minestrone, weren't we?

I don't think *why* we were talking about has been mentioned. I made
a killer soup last week that involved the dried cannellini beans which
I had purchased a few months ago for that cassoulet I never made.
I've used canned cannellini before, never dried (at $9 for a 24oz
bag... gaaak). I think I'll try navy beans in the soup recipe next
time.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-02-28, sf > wrote:

> I've used canned cannellini before, never dried (at $9 for a 24oz
> bag... gaaak). I think I'll try navy beans in the soup recipe next
> time.

At $6 lb! fer dried beans, I think I'd find a new place to shop!!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-02-28, Michael "Dog3" > wrote:
> I can't imagine being able to find maya coba beans

In the Hispanic foods aisle of Cub.

> but not cannellini beans.

I was in the vegetable aisle looking for these. Garbanzos, kidney,
butter, lima, black-eyed peas. No cannellini.

> In fact, I've never even heard of MC beans, canned or dry.

I hadn't either until a few months ago. Bought them on a whim and I
love them. I can eat 'em cold.

Interesting: this site says they can be substituted for cannellini.
<http://www.ranchogordo.com/Merchant2...ROD&Store_Code
=RG&Product_Code=MAYB01>

<http://americanradioworks.publicradi...litics/beans/3
..html>
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Breaded Pork Tenderloin, 2-18-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:
on'ts (NO celery, lotsa carrots), but most any white bean is a go.

> We were talking minestrone, weren't we?
>
> nb

No, I was asking about white beans. Canned.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Breaded Pork Tenderloin, 2-18-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-02-28, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> notbob > wrote:

>> We were talking minestrone, weren't we?

> No, I was asking about white beans. Canned.

Well Hell, then!.... throw in a hock and go for it. No such thing as
a bad bean, ('cept maybe kidney!).

Last week I found a can of black eye'd peas sprinkled w/ green beans
(some Southern brand (TX?)), in mom's cupboard that were killer. I
simply opened can and nuked. Awesome!

We only got 3 stores, so I'll find them suckers again.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 13:30:15 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> The Cash and Carry stores in our area carry Maya Coba beans in 15
> pound bags. The local chains in our new town carry them in bulk. I
> think they are more prevalent where there are more Hispanics.

Holy cow! Does Cash & Carry have smaller bags? I have a store near
enough to me.

A website I found says:

A classic bean from Peru, the Mayacoba is also known as Canario or
Peruano. It's a small but meaty thin-skinned bean that will take on
all the flavors you can throw at it but still hold its shape. Great as
a substitute for Cannellini or great Northern beans but unique in its
own right.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:31:08 -0800, sf > wrote:

>>A classic bean from Peru, the Mayacoba is also known as Canario or
>>Peruano. It's a small but meaty thin-skinned bean that will take on
>>all the flavors you can throw at it but still hold its shape. Great as
>>a substitute for Cannellini or great Northern beans but unique in its
>>own right.

>In Albuquerque, those are sold in bulk in the Mexican megamart.

>Maybe you could find those somewhere in the Mission markets..if you
>ever go there..

I just checked on Phipps Ranch's website and they do not have
this bean.

Tangentially, they do consider Great Northern, Eastern Cannellini,
and Cannellini (Italian Butter Bean) to be three distinct varieties
of bean.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:50:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-02-28, sf > wrote:
>
> > I've used canned cannellini before, never dried (at $9 for a 24oz
> > bag... gaaak). I think I'll try navy beans in the soup recipe next
> > time.

> At $6 lb! fer dried beans, I think I'd find a new place to shop!!

Actually, it's not on my flight path for grocery shopping. I had to
make a special trip there.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 17:34:39 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 13:30:15 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > The Cash and Carry stores in our area carry Maya Coba beans in 15
> > > pound bags. The local chains in our new town carry them in bulk. I
> > > think they are more prevalent where there are more Hispanics.

> > Holy cow! Does Cash & Carry have smaller bags? I have a store near
> > enough to me.

> I don't know. I haven't looked in a while.

I would think not, if you bought a 15# bag!

> > A website I found says:
> >
> > A classic bean from Peru, the Mayacoba is also known as Canario or
> > Peruano. It's a small but meaty thin-skinned bean that will take on
> > all the flavors you can throw at it but still hold its shape. Great as
> > a substitute for Cannellini or great Northern beans but unique in its
> > own right.

> The flavor and texture remind me more of pintos. I prefer pintos,
> though. We've used them to make refried beans successfully. We used
> them for ranchero beans and things like that. I imagine they'd be fine
> in soup, but I don't think they'd hold up as well as cannellini or great
> northern beans.

Thanks for the insight. I'll try them if I can find a smaller bag.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
>,
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:
> We get them dry, and they are yellowish. They cook up more like
> pinto beans, too, I think.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

Yup, a light rosy pink from the can.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Breaded Pork Tenderloin, 2-18-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.noehill.com/downstairs/re...tter_beans.asp

>Thanks, for the recipe....but I'm still wondering about that "butter
>bean" thing. When people talk about butter beans here, they are *not*
>talking about limas?

Yes, butter beans are AFAIK lima beans.

From the text and photo on the above link, "Italian Butter Beans" do
not resemble lima beans. In the photo, they look sorta like
Gigandes beans.

On the Phipps page, Gigandes and Italian Butter Beans
look nearly identical in size and appearance, whereas Eastern
Cannellinis are smaller and Great Northerns, yet smaller.

Whereas the Florida Speckled Butter Bean is listed as a type
of lima bean.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Yes, butter beans are AFAIK lima beans.
>
> From the text and photo on the above link, "Italian Butter Beans" do
> not resemble lima beans. In the photo, they look sorta like
> Gigandes beans.
>
> On the Phipps page, Gigandes and Italian Butter Beans
> look nearly identical in size and appearance, whereas Eastern
> Cannellinis are smaller and Great Northerns, yet smaller.
>
> Whereas the Florida Speckled Butter Bean is listed as a type
> of lima bean.
>
> Steve

Green lima beans are not my favorite, but I do like butter beans. The
butter beans I eat look like this, they are about an inch long and they
do not taste like lima beans to me. If they do, then I will give lima
beans another try.

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/FDC...ns_~920907.jpg

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-01, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Elsewhere, people get confused. I say we Virginians know what we are
> talking about.

I had a girlfriend born and raised in AL. She taught me a lot about
Southern cooking. To her, ALL lima beans --young, old, fresh, dry,
speckled, white, etc,-- were butter beans. Who am I to argue.

> Seems like we had this discussion a few years ago..LOL.

We'll no doubt have it again, too.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 10:26:59 -0600, Becca > wrote:

> Steve Pope wrote:
> > Yes, butter beans are AFAIK lima beans.
> >
> > From the text and photo on the above link, "Italian Butter Beans" do
> > not resemble lima beans. In the photo, they look sorta like
> > Gigandes beans.
> >
> > On the Phipps page, Gigandes and Italian Butter Beans
> > look nearly identical in size and appearance, whereas Eastern
> > Cannellinis are smaller and Great Northerns, yet smaller.
> >
> > Whereas the Florida Speckled Butter Bean is listed as a type
> > of lima bean.
> >
> > Steve
> >

> Green lima beans are not my favorite, but I do like butter beans. The
> butter beans I eat look like this, they are about an inch long and they
> do not taste like lima beans to me. If they do, then I will give lima
> beans another try.
>

> http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/FDC...ns_~920907.jpg

Is that a picture of an Italian butter bean? When I ask here what
they mean when they talk about butter beans, someone will say "lima".

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:18:01 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:46:10 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> i think black beans have a taste easily distinguished from (at least) navy
>> and great northern. they taste 'meatier' to me, if that makes sense.

> Have you ever tried pinto beans? Those are the meaty ones AFAIC.

they might fall half-way between navy and black in terms of 'meat.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
>> Green lima beans are not my favorite, but I do like butter beans. The
>> butter beans I eat look like this, they are about an inch long and they
>> do not taste like lima beans to me. If they do, then I will give lima
>> beans another try.
>>

>> http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/FDC...ns_~920907.jpg
>>

> Is that a picture of an Italian butter bean? When I ask here what
> they mean when they talk about butter beans, someone will say "lima".

It is a picture of large butter beans, AFAIK they are not Italian. I
grew up eating those and speckled butter beans. The large butter beans
are bigger than the speckled butter beans.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 16:43:31 -0600, Becca > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >> Green lima beans are not my favorite, but I do like butter beans. The
> >> butter beans I eat look like this, they are about an inch long and they
> >> do not taste like lima beans to me. If they do, then I will give lima
> >> beans another try.
> >>

> >> http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/FDC...ns_~920907.jpg
> >>

> > Is that a picture of an Italian butter bean? When I ask here what
> > they mean when they talk about butter beans, someone will say "lima".

> It is a picture of large butter beans, AFAIK they are not Italian. I
> grew up eating those and speckled butter beans. The large butter beans
> are bigger than the speckled butter beans.

My head hurts now.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.