Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ethnic flavorings?

I do intend to google this subject just for grins, but thought it might
make a fun and educational thread since this is a world wide list, and
there are a lot of experienced cooks here...

What do y'all think the most common flavorings and spices are that give
"ethnic" foods their ethnicity?

Chinese: Garlic, Ginger root, Soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG, white pepper,
sesame seeds and/or sesame oil

Japanese: Same as above but add sugar

Thai: Same as chinese but add different types of hot pepper

Mexican/Spanish: chili, cumin, chocolate

French; ?

German: ?

South American/Columbian: ?

UK/British: ?

American: Salt, fat and sugar. <g> (just kidding!)

Please feel free to add or subtract to the above if you have more
experience as mine is limited. I've only been playing with ethnic food
for the past 2 or 3 years so am still learning and I have some veggies
that need to be used up today to make a large stir fry with baby
carrots, bok choy, onions and red bell pepper. I have some sliced,
marinated and grilled frozen chicken breast I intend to add to that.
I'll flavor it with fresh garlic, fresh grated ginger root, soy and
oyster sauce, peanut oil, sesame oil, lemon peel, and white pepper. I
may reconstitute some of the dried shitakes I have in the cabinet to go
with that and toss in a can of baby corn.

Personally, I like to mix different types of recipes sometimes to create
what Phillipe on a.b.f. calls "fusion" food. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
>I do intend to google this subject just for grins, but thought it might
> make a fun and educational thread since this is a world wide list, and
> there are a lot of experienced cooks here...
>
> What do y'all think the most common flavorings and spices are that give
> "ethnic" foods their ethnicity?
>
> Chinese: Garlic, Ginger root, Soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG, white pepper,
> sesame seeds and/or sesame oil
>
> Japanese: Same as above but add sugar
>
> Thai: Same as chinese but add different types of hot pepper
>
> Mexican/Spanish: chili, cumin, chocolate
>
> French; ?
>
> German: ?
>
> South American/Columbian: ?
>
> UK/British: ?
>
> American: Salt, fat and sugar. <g> (just kidding!)
>
> Please feel free to add or subtract to the above if you have more
> experience as mine is limited. I've only been playing with ethnic food
> for the past 2 or 3 years so am still learning and I have some veggies
> that need to be used up today to make a large stir fry with baby
> carrots, bok choy, onions and red bell pepper. I have some sliced,
> marinated and grilled frozen chicken breast I intend to add to that.
> I'll flavor it with fresh garlic, fresh grated ginger root, soy and
> oyster sauce, peanut oil, sesame oil, lemon peel, and white pepper. I
> may reconstitute some of the dried shitakes I have in the cabinet to go
> with that and toss in a can of baby corn.
>
> Personally, I like to mix different types of recipes sometimes to create
> what Phillipe on a.b.f. calls "fusion" food. <g>
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
> foot down."
> --Steve Rothstein
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> Subscribe:

Italian: Basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, cilantro, garlic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> I do intend to google this subject just for grins, but thought it might
> make a fun and educational thread since this is a world wide list, and
> there are a lot of experienced cooks here...
>
> What do y'all think the most common flavorings and spices are that give
> "ethnic" foods their ethnicity?
>
> Chinese: Garlic, Ginger root, Soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG, white pepper,
> sesame seeds and/or sesame oil
>
> Japanese: Same as above but add sugar
>
> Thai: Same as chinese but add different types of hot pepper
>
> Mexican/Spanish: chili, cumin, chocolate
>
> French; ?
>
> German: ?
>
> South American/Columbian: ?
>
> UK/British: ?
>
> American: Salt, fat and sugar. <g> (just kidding!)

Actually, for American food, you're right. Just look at the ingredients
list on probably 90% of American processed food packages.

Just off the top of my head ...

For Jewish, I would say dill, garlic, and horseradish.

Italian, Oregano, garlic, and marjoram.

Greek, Anize

Spanish, saffron

Indian, curries

Belgium: chocolate
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> I do intend to google this subject just for grins, but thought it might
> make a fun and educational thread since this is a world wide list, and
> there are a lot of experienced cooks here...
>
> What do y'all think the most common flavorings and spices are that give
> "ethnic" foods their ethnicity?

You did not list Italian, one of the most popular cuisines. Oregano,
basil, rosemary, southern Italian would have tomato sauce.

> Mexican/Spanish: chili, cumin, chocolate

That, or course carries over to the Tex-Mex and southwest styles

> German: ?

Dill weed and caraway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Tom Biasi" > wrote:

> Italian: Basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, cilantro, garlic.

I missed that one, thanks. Parsley and Savory also, and some think
tomatoes but that's not always true.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Stan Horwitz > wrote:

> > American: Salt, fat and sugar. <g> (just kidding!)

> Actually, for American food, you're right. Just look at the ingredients
> list on probably 90% of American processed food packages.

<lol> I was trying not to offend my fellow USA'ans.

> Just off the top of my head ...
>
> For Jewish, I would say dill, garlic, and horseradish.

Thanks for that. I'd add dill to German.

> Italian, Oregano, garlic, and marjoram.
>
> Greek, Anize
>
> Spanish, saffron
>
> Indian, curries

Absolutely, but curries are mixes. What would you add to make a curry
other than hot peppers and turmeric?

> Belgium: chocolate

;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > I do intend to google this subject just for grins, but thought it might
> > make a fun and educational thread since this is a world wide list, and
> > there are a lot of experienced cooks here...
> >
> > What do y'all think the most common flavorings and spices are that give
> > "ethnic" foods their ethnicity?

> You did not list Italian, one of the most popular cuisines. Oregano,
> basil, rosemary, southern Italian would have tomato sauce.

Yes, I did miss that, sorry! Add garlic, marjoram and savory to that.
Add Mozarella, Romano and Parmesan cheeses.

> > Mexican/Spanish: chili, cumin, chocolate

> That, or course carries over to the Tex-Mex and southwest styles

Indeed!

> > German: ?

> Dill weed and caraway.

Thanks.

--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:21:52 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

> What do y'all think the most common flavorings and spices are that give
> "ethnic" foods their ethnicity?

Fusion cooking has been around for a long time (French/Thai,
English/Indian etc), but the term has only been around since the
'80's... Wiki says '70s.
http://www.examiner.com/x-34073-Dall...Fusion-Cuisine
http://www.foodcuisines.com/articles...-Cuisines.html

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote

>I do intend to google this subject just for grins, but thought it might
> make a fun and educational thread since this is a world wide list, and
> there are a lot of experienced cooks here...

> Chinese: Garlic, Ginger root, Soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG, white pepper,
> sesame seeds and/or sesame oil
>
> Japanese: Same as above but add sugar

You *know* I was gonna chime in here (grin). You missed Miso and a glorious
array of Seaweeds (fresh and dried). In fact, the predominant one of Dashi
as well.

> Thai: Same as chinese but add different types of hot pepper

Lemon grass

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:40:27 -0500, Stan Horwitz >
wrote:

> Greek, Anize

also lemon, oregano... feta cheese

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:21:52 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > What do y'all think the most common flavorings and spices are that give
> > "ethnic" foods their ethnicity?

> Fusion cooking has been around for a long time (French/Thai,
> English/Indian etc), but the term has only been around since the
> '80's... Wiki says '70s.
> http://www.examiner.com/x-34073-Dall...0m1d13-True-Fu
> sion-Cuisine
> http://www.foodcuisines.com/articles...-Cuisines.html

Interesting article, thanks!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:40:27 -0500, Stan Horwitz >
> wrote:
>
> > Greek, Anize

> also lemon, oregano... feta cheese

Cool, thanks!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> "Omelet" wrote
>
> >I do intend to google this subject just for grins, but thought it might
> > make a fun and educational thread since this is a world wide list, and
> > there are a lot of experienced cooks here...

> > Chinese: Garlic, Ginger root, Soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG, white pepper,
> > sesame seeds and/or sesame oil
> >
> > Japanese: Same as above but add sugar

> You *know* I was gonna chime in here (grin).

I was hoping. :-)

> You missed Miso and a glorious
> array of Seaweeds (fresh and dried). In fact, the predominant one of Dashi
> as well.

Ah yes, And I actually like seaweed.

> > Thai: Same as chinese but add different types of hot pepper

> Lemon grass

Thanks!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:40:27 -0500, Stan Horwitz >
> wrote:
>
>> Greek, Anize

> also lemon, oregano... feta cheese

And ripe olives
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:40:27 -0500, Stan Horwitz >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Greek, Anize

> > also lemon, oregano... feta cheese
> >

> And ripe olives

Yum! That goes with some Italian too, and Mid-Eastern.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:40:27 -0500, Stan Horwitz wrote:

> For Jewish, I would say dill, garlic, and horseradish.

i never thought of jewish cooking as using a lot of garlic, except in
pickles.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2010 10:21 AM, Omelet wrote:
> I do intend to google this subject just for grins, but thought it might
> make a fun and educational thread since this is a world wide list, and
> there are a lot of experienced cooks here...
>
> What do y'all think the most common flavorings and spices are that give
> "ethnic" foods their ethnicity?
>
> Chinese: Garlic, Ginger root, Soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG, white pepper,
> sesame seeds and/or sesame oil
>
> Japanese: Same as above but add sugar

Fish sauce is not typically found in Japanese cooking. Fish taste
typically comes from dashi.

> Thai: Same as chinese but add different types of hot pepper

Thai is different in more than heat. It also includes lemongrass, kafir
lime ,tamarind, coconut milk, tropical fruits etc

> Mexican/Spanish: chili, cumin, chocolate
>
> French; ?
>
> German: ?
>
> South American/Columbian: ?
>
> UK/British: ?
>
> American: Salt, fat and sugar.<g> (just kidding!)
>
> Please feel free to add or subtract to the above if you have more
> experience as mine is limited. I've only been playing with ethnic food
> for the past 2 or 3 years so am still learning and I have some veggies
> that need to be used up today to make a large stir fry with baby
> carrots, bok choy, onions and red bell pepper. I have some sliced,
> marinated and grilled frozen chicken breast I intend to add to that.
> I'll flavor it with fresh garlic, fresh grated ginger root, soy and
> oyster sauce, peanut oil, sesame oil, lemon peel, and white pepper. I
> may reconstitute some of the dried shitakes I have in the cabinet to go
> with that and toss in a can of baby corn.
>
> Personally, I like to mix different types of recipes sometimes to create
> what Phillipe on a.b.f. calls "fusion" food.<g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> I do intend to google this subject just for grins, but thought it might
> make a fun and educational thread since this is a world wide list, and
> there are a lot of experienced cooks here...
>
> What do y'all think the most common flavorings and spices are that give
> "ethnic" foods their ethnicity?
>
> Chinese: Garlic, Ginger root, Soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG, white pepper,
> sesame seeds and/or sesame oil

JB: Garlic, ginger, sesame oil, hot bean sauce, preserved black
beans, scallions (and more)

> Japanese: Same as above but add sugar

JB: Soy sauce, dashi, mirin, ginger (more)

> Thai: Same as chinese but add different types of hot pepper

JB: Soy sauce, kapi or fish sauce, lemon grass, galangal, kaffir
lime (leaves and/or rind), (more)

> Mexican/Spanish: chili, cumin, chocolate

JB: chiles of various sorts, cumin, I dunno I haven't been
cooking that for a LONG time.

> French; ?

JB: Cream!

> German: ?
>
> South American/Columbian: ?
>
> UK/British: ?
>
> American: Salt, fat and sugar. <g> (just kidding!)
>
> Please feel free to add or subtract to the above if you have more
> experience as mine is limited. I've only been playing with ethnic food
> for the past 2 or 3 years so am still learning and I have some veggies
> that need to be used up today to make a large stir fry with baby
> carrots, bok choy, onions and red bell pepper. I have some sliced,
> marinated and grilled frozen chicken breast I intend to add to that.
> I'll flavor it with fresh garlic, fresh grated ginger root, soy and
> oyster sauce, peanut oil, sesame oil, lemon peel, and white pepper. I
> may reconstitute some of the dried shitakes I have in the cabinet to go
> with that and toss in a can of baby corn.
>
> Personally, I like to mix different types of recipes sometimes to create
> what Phillipe on a.b.f. calls "fusion" food. <g>

--
Jean B.

All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently
opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article
> >,
> Stan Horwitz > wrote:
>
>> > American: Salt, fat and sugar. <g> (just kidding!)

>> Actually, for American food, you're right. Just look at the ingredients
>> list on probably 90% of American processed food packages.

> <lol> I was trying not to offend my fellow USA'ans.
>>
>> Just off the top of my head ...
>>
>> For Jewish, I would say dill, garlic, and horseradish.

> Thanks for that. I'd add dill to German.
>

>> Italian, Oregano, garlic, and marjoram.
>>
>> Greek, Anize
>>
>> Spanish, saffron
>>
>> Indian, curries

> Absolutely, but curries are mixes. What would you add to make a curry
> other than hot peppers and turmeric?

Cumin, coriander, cayenne, cardamom, cinnamon, fenugreek, mustard seed,
asafoetida, tamarind, garlic, onion...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:04:35 -0600, "Jinx Minx" >
wrote:

>"Omelet" > wrote in message
>news
>> In article
>> >,

>>> Actually, for American food, you're right. Just look at the ingredients
>>> list on probably 90% of American processed food packages.

>> <lol> I was trying not to offend my fellow USA'ans.
>>>
>>> Just off the top of my head ...
>>>
>>> For Jewish, I would say dill, garlic, and horseradish.

>> Thanks for that. I'd add dill to German.
>>

>>> Italian, Oregano, garlic, and marjoram.
>>>
>>> Greek, Anize
>>>
>>> Spanish, saffron
>>>
>>> Indian, curries

>> Absolutely, but curries are mixes. What would you add to make a curry
>> other than hot peppers and turmeric?
>>

>Cumin, coriander, cayenne, cardamom, cinnamon, fenugreek, mustard seed,
>asafoetida, tamarind, garlic, onion...

And, Turmeric (Haldi), Onion Seed (Kalonji), Mustard Seed, Carom aka
Lovage (Ajwain), Clove (Laung), Fennel (Saunf), Black (or royal) Cumin
(Kala Jeera) and many, many more - but not all at the same time.
Spices are like Fonts. Inauspicious mixtures result in an
unsatisfactory result.

Cheers!
Regards
JonH (Most of the above are in my store cupboard)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>> > make a fun and educational thread since this is a world wide list, and
>> > there are a lot of experienced cooks here...

>> > Chinese: Garlic, Ginger root, Soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG, white
>> > pepper,
>> > sesame seeds and/or sesame oil
>> >
>> > Japanese: Same as above but add sugar

>> You *know* I was gonna chime in here (grin).

> I was hoping. :-)

Hehe that was a rush job as I was running out the door (we adpoted a new dog
and now await the paperwork etc to work though the system).

>> You missed Miso and a glorious
>> array of Seaweeds (fresh and dried). In fact, the predominant one of
>> Dashi
>> as well.

> Ah yes, And I actually like seaweed.

In fact, the China list doesnt really match. Oh they use all those things,
but proportionally if i wanted a small list you can remove the white pepper
and possibly the ginger root. Insert Dashi (a dried fish and seaweed stock
for others reading who never heard of it) which is used in some level in
every meal I can recall from there. Westernized recipes of Japan type use
chicken stock in it's place. Miso as a miso based dashi soup is probably
the national breakfast. Seaweeds actually come next possibly as the flavor
of real Japan. After that, Garlic, Seseame seeds/oil, and soy sauce.

'Fish sauce' is too generic in Asia to have a real meaning. Sometimes it's
soy sauce (used on fish) and sometimes it's made *of* fermented fish
(Patis).

So Japan: Dashi, Miso, Seaweed, Garlic, Sesame seed/oil, soy sauce (for a
short version).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Speaking of ethnic foods, was Ethnic flavorings?

We are fortunate to have this place a half hour from home. We go there
every few months to stock up. They have wine tastings every few weeks too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG4OhCZiLEk

Want wine from Lebanon? Olives from Armenia? Anchovies from Greece?
Spices from everywhere?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Salsa is now the #1 selling condiment in the USA, putting ketchup in 2nd
> place.
>
> Who saw THAT coming?!?
>
> Andy

It depends on where you grew up; we were raised to put salsa on eggs. My
husband puts ketchup on his eggs, which just doesn't seem right. lol

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

> Chinese: Garlic, Ginger root, Soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG, white pepper,
> sesame seeds and/or sesame oil

Uh... fish sauce isn't Chinese. And there are some MAJOR Chinese flavors you
left out: five-spice, Szechuan pepper, citrus peel, dried chiles, Shaoxing
wine, hoising sauce, oyster sauce, black mushrooms, fermented black beans
all leap readily to mind, and I'm sure to have forgotten at least another
half-dozen.

> Japanese: Same as above but add sugar

Many things in common, but fish sauce should be excluded from the Japanese
flavor palette as well. Also add seaweed, dried bonito, wasabi, PICKLED
ginger, seasoned rice vinegar, sake, enoki mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms,
and maitake mushrooms.

> Thai: Same as chinese but add different types of hot pepper

NOW fish sauce belongs there, but MSG doesn't. White pepper is more
characteristic of Indonesian or Malaysian cooking, although it's not
completely unknown in Thai cooking. But leaving coconut milk and lemongrass
out are HUGE omissions. Fermented shrimp paste is a necessary ingredient in
Thai cooking (as well as the aformentioned Indonesian and Malaysian
cooking). Tamarind, kaffir lime, and mango are often found in Thai food,
too.

> Mexican/Spanish: chili, cumin, chocolate

Not Spanish. Not AT ALL Spanish. Mainstream Spanish flavors include sherry
vinegar, smoked paprika, saffron, and Spanish olives (including olive oil).
But Spanish cuisine varies tremendously by region, and it's too big a
subject to write about in this post -- entire books have been written on the
subject.

Mexican cuisine is also widely variable by region. Oaxacan cooking does not
resemble Sonoran cooking at all, except on a very basic level. If you want
to match the flavors that you could expect to find at a crappy "Mexican"
restaurant in Mainstream USA, then the flavors include chiles of various
types, cumin, tomatoes, cilantro, white onions, tamarind, avocado,
tomatillos, and various animal proteins. But real Mexican cooking is much,
much more.

> French; ?

Butter! And sauces made with butter! Well... France has its regional
differences too. Alsace-Lorraine has a different cuisine than Provence,
though they have some things in common, bread and butter being chief among
them.

> German: ?

Sauerkraut, of course! Lots of sausages, root vegetables, big cuts of meat,
and beer.

> South American/Columbian: ?

I think Brazil has a more interesting cuisine than Colombia. The "national
dish" of Brazil is feijoada, which is essentially a very elaborate
black-bean stew. But there's not really any such thing as "South American"
cuisine. Brazilian cuisine is not much like Peruvian cuisine. (See Clay
Irving's awesome web site for a good selection of Peruvian recipes.) And
neither is much like Argentinian cuisine. Colombian cuisine is a bit like
Salvadorean cuisine, with banana-leaf-wrapped tamales (also found in
Oaxaca), empanadas, and pupusas. I'm not aware of any special spices used in
Colombian cooking to give it a special flavor profile.

You didn't mention Italian or Indian cuisines, but they're both strongly
regional as well. Other regional cuisines not mentioned but (IMO) worth
trying are Moroccan, Malaysian (including Singaporean), Indonesian, Cajun,
Creole, Korean, Ethiopian, Greek, Turkish, Lebanese, Georgian, Cuban (or
Puerto Rican), and -- of course, coming from me -- CALIFORNIAN!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> On 2/27/2010 10:21 AM, Omelet wrote:
> > I do intend to google this subject just for grins, but thought it might
> > make a fun and educational thread since this is a world wide list, and
> > there are a lot of experienced cooks here...
> >
> > What do y'all think the most common flavorings and spices are that give
> > "ethnic" foods their ethnicity?
> >
> > Chinese: Garlic, Ginger root, Soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG, white pepper,
> > sesame seeds and/or sesame oil
> >
> > Japanese: Same as above but add sugar

> Fish sauce is not typically found in Japanese cooking. Fish taste
> typically comes from dashi.

Ok, I had to google Dashi.
Soup stock. So the stock I make from shrimp shells can be called Dashi?

> > Thai: Same as chinese but add different types of hot pepper
> >

> Thai is different in more than heat. It also includes lemongrass, kafir
> lime ,tamarind, coconut milk, tropical fruits etc

Thanks!

I need to start a patch of lemon grass. I understand it's pretty hardy
but could lemonbalm be subbed?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Jean B." >
wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > I do intend to google this subject just for grins, but thought it might
> > make a fun and educational thread since this is a world wide list, and
> > there are a lot of experienced cooks here...
> >
> > What do y'all think the most common flavorings and spices are that give
> > "ethnic" foods their ethnicity?
> >
> > Chinese: Garlic, Ginger root, Soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG, white pepper,
> > sesame seeds and/or sesame oil

> JB: Garlic, ginger, sesame oil, hot bean sauce, preserved black
> beans, scallions (and more)

Bean sauce, from fermented soy beans? Miso?

> > Japanese: Same as above but add sugar

> JB: Soy sauce, dashi, mirin, ginger (more)

What else?
Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

> > Thai: Same as chinese but add different types of hot pepper

> JB: Soy sauce, kapi or fish sauce, lemon grass, galangal, kaffir
> lime (leaves and/or rind), (more)

I can get galangal. Just have not explored it yet. I understand ginger
can be substituted?

Cant get Kaffir locally.

> > Mexican/Spanish: chili, cumin, chocolate

> JB: chiles of various sorts, cumin, I dunno I haven't been
> cooking that for a LONG time.

Why not? <g>

> > French; ?

> JB: Cream!

<lol>

> > German: ?
> >
> > South American/Columbian: ?
> >
> > UK/British: ?
> >
> > American: Salt, fat and sugar. <g> (just kidding!)
> >
> > Please feel free to add or subtract to the above if you have more
> > experience as mine is limited. I've only been playing with ethnic food
> > for the past 2 or 3 years so am still learning and I have some veggies
> > that need to be used up today to make a large stir fry with baby
> > carrots, bok choy, onions and red bell pepper. I have some sliced,
> > marinated and grilled frozen chicken breast I intend to add to that.
> > I'll flavor it with fresh garlic, fresh grated ginger root, soy and
> > oyster sauce, peanut oil, sesame oil, lemon peel, and white pepper. I
> > may reconstitute some of the dried shitakes I have in the cabinet to go
> > with that and toss in a can of baby corn.
> >
> > Personally, I like to mix different types of recipes sometimes to create
> > what Phillipe on a.b.f. calls "fusion" food. <g>

--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jinx Minx" > wrote:

> >> Indian, curries

> > Absolutely, but curries are mixes. What would you add to make a curry
> > other than hot peppers and turmeric?
> >

> Cumin, coriander, cayenne, cardamom, cinnamon, fenugreek, mustard seed,
> asafoetida, tamarind, garlic, onion...

Nice mix. Proportions???
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> >> You *know* I was gonna chime in here (grin).

> > I was hoping. :-)

> Hehe that was a rush job as I was running out the door (we adpoted a new dog
> and now await the paperwork etc to work though the system).
>
> >> You missed Miso and a glorious
> >> array of Seaweeds (fresh and dried). In fact, the predominant one of
> >> Dashi
> >> as well.

> > Ah yes, And I actually like seaweed.

> In fact, the China list doesnt really match. Oh they use all those things,
> but proportionally if i wanted a small list you can remove the white pepper
> and possibly the ginger root. Insert Dashi (a dried fish and seaweed stock
> for others reading who never heard of it) which is used in some level in
> every meal I can recall from there. Westernized recipes of Japan type use
> chicken stock in it's place. Miso as a miso based dashi soup is probably
> the national breakfast. Seaweeds actually come next possibly as the flavor
> of real Japan. After that, Garlic, Seseame seeds/oil, and soy sauce.
>
> 'Fish sauce' is too generic in Asia to have a real meaning. Sometimes it's
> soy sauce (used on fish) and sometimes it's made *of* fermented fish
> (Patis).
>
> So Japan: Dashi, Miso, Seaweed, Garlic, Sesame seed/oil, soy sauce (for a
> short version).

Cool, thanks for the input. I recently bought some fish sauce (made
from fermented fish) for the first time and have not been impressed. The
flavor is rather weak imho...

I have yet to experiment more with that Miso but want to.

For the china list, I was going somewhat by recipes, and some by what I
found in the spice aisle at the local asian market. :-)

I'm surprised you are excluding ginger root? Are you sure? To me,
garlic and ginger root (and oyster sauce) are matches made in heaven!
Sesame oil works in that combo too?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Becca >
wrote:

> Andy wrote:
> > Salsa is now the #1 selling condiment in the USA, putting ketchup in 2nd
> > place.
> >
> > Who saw THAT coming?!?
> >
> > Andy
> >

> It depends on where you grew up; we were raised to put salsa on eggs. My
> husband puts ketchup on his eggs, which just doesn't seem right. lol
>

> Becca

Both work imho. Depends on my mood. :-d
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> > Chinese: Garlic, Ginger root, Soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG, white pepper,
> > sesame seeds and/or sesame oil

> Uh... fish sauce isn't Chinese. And there are some MAJOR Chinese flavors you
> left out: five-spice, Szechuan pepper, citrus peel, dried chiles, Shaoxing
> wine, hoising sauce, oyster sauce, black mushrooms, fermented black beans
> all leap readily to mind, and I'm sure to have forgotten at least another
> half-dozen.

That is why I posted this luv. :-) For the opinions and education!

> > Japanese: Same as above but add sugar

> Many things in common, but fish sauce should be excluded from the Japanese
> flavor palette as well.

It appears some disagree with that.

> Also add seaweed, dried bonito, wasabi, PICKLED
> ginger, seasoned rice vinegar, sake, enoki mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms,
> and maitake mushrooms.

Ok, you win there! Maitake can be grown at home from fungiperfecti.com
but I've not tried it yet. I want to make some space in the master
bedroom closet to try that. If you live in the PNW, you should be able
to hunt them wild.

> > Thai: Same as chinese but add different types of hot pepper

> NOW fish sauce belongs there, but MSG doesn't. White pepper is more
> characteristic of Indonesian or Malaysian cooking, although it's not
> completely unknown in Thai cooking. But leaving coconut milk and lemongrass
> out are HUGE omissions.

I did say I was inexperienced dear which is why I started this thread.

> Fermented shrimp paste is a necessary ingredient in
> Thai cooking (as well as the aformentioned Indonesian and Malaysian
> cooking). Tamarind, kaffir lime, and mango are often found in Thai food,
> too.

I love Mango. Can I make shrimp paste?

> > Mexican/Spanish: chili, cumin, chocolate

> Not Spanish. Not AT ALL Spanish. Mainstream Spanish flavors include sherry
> vinegar, smoked paprika, saffron, and Spanish olives (including olive oil).
> But Spanish cuisine varies tremendously by region, and it's too big a
> subject to write about in this post -- entire books have been written on the
> subject.

I can believe that. <g> Same can be said I'll bet for Italian. Different
regions, different cuisines.

> Mexican cuisine is also widely variable by region. Oaxacan cooking does not
> resemble Sonoran cooking at all, except on a very basic level. If you want
> to match the flavors that you could expect to find at a crappy "Mexican"
> restaurant in Mainstream USA, then the flavors include chiles of various
> types, cumin, tomatoes, cilantro, white onions, tamarind, avocado,
> tomatillos, and various animal proteins. But real Mexican cooking is much,
> much more.

Actually, I knew that as I've researched that locally. Good Mexican
cooking can be pretty interesting. I don't speak more than a smattering
of Tex-mex, but they seem to respect one for trying so are more willing
to share.

> > French; ?

> Butter! And sauces made with butter! Well... France has its regional
> differences too. Alsace-Lorraine has a different cuisine than Provence,
> though they have some things in common, bread and butter being chief among
> them.

Deep fried? <g>

> > German: ?

> Sauerkraut, of course! Lots of sausages, root vegetables, big cuts of meat,
> and beer.

<lol> We have a local German Community (New Braunfels) and there is a
"Wurstfest" annually that features beer and sausages.

> > South American/Columbian: ?

> I think Brazil has a more interesting cuisine than Colombia. The "national
> dish" of Brazil is feijoada, which is essentially a very elaborate
> black-bean stew. But there's not really any such thing as "South American"
> cuisine. Brazilian cuisine is not much like Peruvian cuisine. (See Clay
> Irving's awesome web site for a good selection of Peruvian recipes.)

Sounds like fun. Thanks for the reference!
Hm, just googled and that showed up Thai recipes, not Peruvian?

> And
> neither is much like Argentinian cuisine. Colombian cuisine is a bit like
> Salvadorean cuisine, with banana-leaf-wrapped tamales (also found in
> Oaxaca), empanadas, and pupusas. I'm not aware of any special spices used in
> Colombian cooking to give it a special flavor profile.

To date, the only cuisine I have disliked has been Indian (for the most
part) and Cuban. A Cuban restaurant in Miami Florida that Coulter
Electronics took us to during a seminar totally SUCKED.

> You didn't mention Italian or Indian cuisines, but they're both strongly
> regional as well. Other regional cuisines not mentioned but (IMO) worth
> trying are Moroccan, Malaysian (including Singaporean), Indonesian, Cajun,
> Creole, Korean, Ethiopian, Greek, Turkish, Lebanese, Georgian, Cuban (or
> Puerto Rican), and -- of course, coming from me -- CALIFORNIAN!
>
> Bob

Well, as I posted, I'm still learning... :-) I left the thread open for
more additions. Please add to it? Please???
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

>> JB: Garlic, ginger, sesame oil, hot bean sauce, preserved black
>> beans, scallions (and more)

> Bean sauce, from fermented soy beans? Miso?

Hot bean sauce is made by mashing fermented soybeans with hot chiles and
other flavorings. It's not miso, not even *close* in flavor.

> I can get galangal. Just have not explored it yet. I understand ginger can
> be substituted?

Ginger isn't all that close to galangal, but at least they're similar plant
structures. Flavor-wise, galangal is almost piney.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

>> (See Clay Irving's awesome web site for a good selection of Peruvian
>> recipes.)

> Sounds like fun. Thanks for the reference!
> Hm, just googled and that showed up Thai recipes, not Peruvian?

Clay's site has quite a few different sections. The top level of the
cooking section is <http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/>;
the Peruvian section is
<http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/bin/table_of_contents.cgi?peruvian>.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Sun, 28 Feb 2010 05:47:15 -0600:

>> Andy wrote:
> >> Salsa is now the #1 selling condiment in the USA, putting
> >> ketchup in 2nd place.
> >>
> >> Who saw THAT coming?!?
> >>
> >> Andy
> >>

>> It depends on where you grew up; we were raised to put salsa
>> on eggs. My husband puts ketchup on his eggs, which just
>> doesn't seem right. lol
>>
>> Becca

> Both work imho. Depends on my mood. :-d

There are also Huevos Rancheros. Are they all that much different than
fried eggs with salsa?
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 10:21 am, Omelet > wrote:
> I do intend to google this subject just for grins, but thought it might
> make a fun and educational thread since this is a world wide list, and
> there are a lot of experienced cooks here...
>
> What do y'all think the most common flavorings and spices are that give
> "ethnic" foods their ethnicity?

Not directly answering your question, but check out (library or buy
used - it's out of print) _The Von Welanetz Guide to Ethnic
Ingredients_. Chock full of good information and fun to just pick up
and read a bit at a time. It's organized by region and then
alphabetically by ingredient. It also has lots of (good!) recipes
from many cuisines.

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >, "Jean B." >
> wrote:

[snip]
>>> Chinese: Garlic, Ginger root, Soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG, white pepper,
>>> sesame seeds and/or sesame oil

>> JB: Garlic, ginger, sesame oil, hot bean sauce, preserved black
>> beans, scallions (and more)

> Bean sauce, from fermented soy beans? Miso?

Not miso. Seems to me that when I first started getting hot bean
sauce, the label said "horse beans". The sauce I have has been
decanted, so I don't have a label.

>>> Japanese: Same as above but add sugar

>> JB: Soy sauce, dashi, mirin, ginger (more)

> What else?
> Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

None of my answers were meant to be definitive. As I read on in
the thread, there were a lot more ideas on this, some pretty
basic. In part, too, it depends on what one considers to be a
flavoring. Most ingredients could be considered as such, although
that wasn't how I was looking at the question.

>>> Thai: Same as chinese but add different types of hot pepper

>> JB: Soy sauce, kapi or fish sauce, lemon grass, galangal, kaffir
>> lime (leaves and/or rind), (more)

> I can get galangal. Just have not explored it yet. I understand ginger
> can be substituted?

People do substitute it, but I don't. I don't find them to be
that similar.

> Cant get Kaffir locally.

I have seen ONE kaffir lime in the market in my life. You can get
frozen leaves and rind in some Asian markets. Hmmm. After I
move, I need to reclaim my poor kaffir lime tree.

>>> Mexican/Spanish: chili, cumin, chocolate

>> JB: chiles of various sorts, cumin, I dunno I haven't been
>> cooking that for a LONG time.

> Why not? <g>

Mainly because my daughter has a bias against Mexican
food--without having tried it! And I am more into Asian food,
which she likes.

>>> French; ?

>> JB: Cream!

> <lol>

[snip]

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> >> JB: Garlic, ginger, sesame oil, hot bean sauce, preserved black
> >> beans, scallions (and more)

> > Bean sauce, from fermented soy beans? Miso?

> Hot bean sauce is made by mashing fermented soybeans with hot chiles and
> other flavorings. It's not miso, not even *close* in flavor.
>

> > I can get galangal. Just have not explored it yet. I understand ginger can
> > be substituted?

> Ginger isn't all that close to galangal, but at least they're similar plant
> structures. Flavor-wise, galangal is almost piney.
>
> Bob

Okay, I'll try some Galangal next time I see it for sale in the produce
section at MT or Fiestal. Thanks. If it is piney, would it sub' for
pine nuts in Pesto?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> >> (See Clay Irving's awesome web site for a good selection of Peruvian
> >> recipes.)

> > Sounds like fun. Thanks for the reference!
> > Hm, just googled and that showed up Thai recipes, not Peruvian?

> Clay's site has quite a few different sections. The top level of the
> cooking section is <http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/>;
> the Peruvian section is
> <http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/bin/table_of_contents.cgi?peruvian>.
>
> Bob

Thank you.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Sun, 28 Feb 2010 05:47:15 -0600:

> >> It depends on where you grew up; we were raised to put salsa
> >> on eggs. My husband puts ketchup on his eggs, which just
> >> doesn't seem right. lol
> >>
> >> Becca

> > Both work imho. Depends on my mood. :-d

> There are also Huevos Rancheros. Are they all that much different than
> fried eggs with salsa?

Not really, except many add meat/chili.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Silvar Beitel > wrote:

> On Feb 27, 10:21 am, Omelet > wrote:
> > I do intend to google this subject just for grins, but thought it might
> > make a fun and educational thread since this is a world wide list, and
> > there are a lot of experienced cooks here...
> >
> > What do y'all think the most common flavorings and spices are that give
> > "ethnic" foods their ethnicity?

> Not directly answering your question, but check out (library or buy
> used - it's out of print) _The Von Welanetz Guide to Ethnic
> Ingredients_. Chock full of good information and fun to just pick up
> and read a bit at a time. It's organized by region and then
> alphabetically by ingredient. It also has lots of (good!) recipes
> from many cuisines.
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

Thanks for the reference! Looks like a good addition to the library.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe: