FoodBanter.com

-   -   Dietary Question (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/394185-dietary-question.html)

Virginia Tadrzynski[_2_] 25-02-2010 05:15 PM

Dietary Question

How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
something only to fail badly at it.
-ginny

George Shirley 25-02-2010 05:28 PM

Dietary Question

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
> type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
> follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
> do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
> something only to fail badly at it.
> -ginny

I've been a type 2 diabetic since 1994 and probably had it a few years
before that according to doctors. I eat anything I want within reason.
My regimen is lay off lots of sweets, which I used to eat a lot, no
white rice, very little white bread. I can eat white potatoes without
fear, just not a whole pot full of them. Worse case scenario is going
out to eat.

I eat brown rice, whole wheat pasta, multi-grain breads, etc. All of
these are slower to digest than the white kind and thus allow my system
to adjust as they digest. White rice knocks me out of the saddle within
twenty minutes of eating some. Sort of odd to go to a friends for a
gumbo dinner and just eat the gumbo with no rice. My best friends always
cook brown rice for such meals, that's why I love them so much. <G>

Pretty basically I eat a regular diet and shoot 38 units of Lantus in
the morning and 3 units of Novolog fifteen minutes before each meal.
Seems to work for me.

Had three stents installed about three weeks ago and my blood pressure
has been crazy since then and I get an occasional high blood glucose
reading. Strangest part is that I am seldom hungry since then. I have to
eat before I take all those BP pills so I usually just eat a piece of fruit.

My best take on the diabetic diet was eating small meals five times a
day and eating nothing after 6 pm. Seemed to work.

Steve Pope 25-02-2010 05:31 PM

Dietary Question

Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote:

> How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was
> diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was
> given a regimen to follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If
> you have a condition/diet how do you do it? Just curious,
> as it seems like a never ending attempt to do something only
> to fail badly at it.

I am on a gout diet, and a mildly restrictive cholesterol diet.
Overall it is not too restrictive; I limit meat/fowl/fish,, and in a
relative sense limit whole grains and legumes while accenturating dairy
and eggs. It also is a total calorie restrictive diet, because
with fewer total calories you limit the purines you are trying to
avoid for gout.

Overall it is a success so far.

Steve

Van[_3_] 25-02-2010 06:37 PM

Dietary Question

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed
> with type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
> follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet
> how do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to
> do something only to fail badly at it.
> -ginny

I have End Stage Renal Disease (kidney failure), and should be (!)
following a 'renal diet' which is fairly strict in limiting foods high in
phosphorus, potassium and sodium. This limits a lot of everyday stuff such
as tomatoes, potatoes, nuts, dried beans, milk, cheese, fresh fruits &
vegetables.

I'm not really religious about adhering to this strictly, but try to keep my
portions under control. They give me bloodwork every 2 weeks & my 'report
card' seems to come back with good numbers.

Life's a bitch, but better than the alternative.

Van

Omelet[_7_] 25-02-2010 06:59 PM

Dietary Question

In article >,
"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:

> How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
> type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
> follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
> do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
> something only to fail badly at it.
> -ginny

Try a "cave man" style diet? Fresh meat and fresh veggies? The variety
of recipes and veggies are endless. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 25-02-2010 07:00 PM

Dietary Question

On Feb 25, 11:15*am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> How many here have some form of food restriction diet?

Not me. I tend to avoid foods that slow down my digestive system
(e.g., potatoes), but sometimes I'll eat them anyway and take a
Citrucel to compensate.

I sometimes feel like I'm the only person on rfc with no health
issues.

Knock wood.

Cindy Hamilton

Goomba[_2_] 25-02-2010 08:33 PM

Dietary Question

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
>> I sometimes feel like I'm the only person on rfc with no health
>> issues.

> I don't either.

Make me three. No significant health or dietary problems (real or
imagined). I don't bore people with any dietary or health woes and can
go into any meal situation with optimism and not fear.

Virginia Tadrzynski[_2_] 25-02-2010 09:02 PM

Dietary Question

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed
> with type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
> follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet
> how do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to
> do something only to fail badly at it.
> -ginny

I don't want anyone to think I'm complaining. As Van said, having said
condition is better than the alternative. I just wanted to know how well the
rest of the 'afflicted' (said tongue in cheek) ones cope. Besides, at
least the cat isn't diabetic...if he were that would be a thread that would
go on for years (snort).
-ginny

Doug Freyburger 25-02-2010 10:48 PM

Dietary Question

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> How many here have some form of food restriction diet?

I'm wheat intolerant.

> If you have a condition/diet how do you do it?

I never expect anyone to take it into account but lots of people try to.
Folks like to take care and that's nice for the thought.

Once I discovered the difference in my health dropping wheat made, my
attitude towards it changed dramatically. Moo. Give that poisonous
grass stuff to the cows and I'll eat the cows thanks. With a new
attitude I developed very fast and easy mental wheat filters. I scan a
menu or shelf and my mind ignores items that are likely to have wheat.
It took some practice to train my mind to it but it became easy in a few
months.

> Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
> something only to fail badly at it.

Something nice happened to me after a bunch of years of active avoidance
- I now get less and less reaction when I get an accidental or
deliberate dose of wheat. If I have cream of some-veggie soup and they
used flour as a thickener I might now only get sweaty scalp and
indigestion. Eleven years in and I can have a slice of pizza with the
crust once in a year and as long as I start chewing gum as soon as the
slice is gone and I chew the gum for several hours, the indigestion is
mild. A cheat that bad and I still snore loudly for two nights in a
row, though. The gum helps push it past the indigestion phase is all

Wheat is my issue. I never expect anyone to care about it or to plan
for it. I never expect a separate dish to be available. As common as
wheat is I hardly ever get in a situation where everything has wheat.
At times I have nothing but the salad, but I like salad.

J. Clarke 25-02-2010 11:05 PM

Dietary Question

On 2/25/2010 2:33 PM, Goomba wrote:
> Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>>
>>> I sometimes feel like I'm the only person on rfc with no health
>>> issues.

>> I don't either.

> Make me three. No significant health or dietary problems (real or
> imagined). I don't bore people with any dietary or health woes and can
> go into any meal situation with optimism and not fear.

I don't have any either knock wood. I basically eat whatever appeals
and if it kills me 20 years down the road, well, my plan is to fall off
my motorcycle before old age gets me.

atec 77[_3_] 26-02-2010 05:24 AM

Dietary Question

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
> type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
> follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
> do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
> something only to fail badly at it.
> -ginny

It's easy
dark chocolate only and drop white flour , potatoes and starches where
possible
also reduce the booze intake and suddenly you're back to normal levels
with in a couple of months for good with no cravings

http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

http://paleodiet.com/

Ron[_7_] 26-02-2010 05:44 AM

Dietary Question

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:15:26 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
>type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
>follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
>do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
>something only to fail badly at it.
>-ginny

I manage my diet by reducing the sugar and carbs and increasing fruits
and vegetables. Combine that with exercising at the gym 3 to 5 days a
week (30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes strength training) and my blood
sugar is normal. I could pass a blood glucose tolerance test easily.

I don't have any set meal plan other than what I said above. The
carbs I do eat are mostly whole grain. I've been known to eat a piece
of cake now and then with no adverse effects. I just can't have it
every day. We usually have raw vegetables at dinner... broccoli,
carrots, celery or whatever sounds good at the time. Reduce the number
of meals with red meat and increase those with chicken or fish. Once
you find what controls your blood sugar readings the meal planning
comes easier.

Don't forget the exercising... it's as important as the dieting.

Ron Kelley

Omelet[_7_] 26-02-2010 09:18 AM

Dietary Question

In article >,
Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> I'm wheat intolerant.

Ditto.

> > If you have a condition/diet how do you do it?

> I never expect anyone to take it into account but lots of people try to.
> Folks like to take care and that's nice for the thought.
>
> Once I discovered the difference in my health dropping wheat made, my
> attitude towards it changed dramatically. Moo. Give that poisonous
> grass stuff to the cows and I'll eat the cows thanks. With a new
> attitude I developed very fast and easy mental wheat filters. I scan a
> menu or shelf and my mind ignores items that are likely to have wheat.
> It took some practice to train my mind to it but it became easy in a few
> months.

It did indeed and there are plenty of foods that are wheat/gluten free.
Made a major difference in my health so I understand how you feel.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Boron Elgar[_1_] 26-02-2010 04:01 PM

Dietary Question

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:44:45 -0800, Ron > wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:15:26 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:
>
>>How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
>>type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
>>follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
>>do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
>>something only to fail badly at it.
>>-ginny
>>

>I manage my diet by reducing the sugar and carbs and increasing fruits
>and vegetables. Combine that with exercising at the gym 3 to 5 days a
>week (30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes strength training) and my blood
>sugar is normal. I could pass a blood glucose tolerance test easily.

Don't bet on that. Just because you control with diet and exercise,
does not mean you aren't a diabetic. A GTT provides full frontal
attack on your insulin production and resistance. No whole grains
involved.

Nothing cures T2 diabetes...you can control it, but you cannot cure
it. - at least not with any methods we have now.

Boron

Omelet[_7_] 26-02-2010 05:21 PM

Dietary Question

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> >I manage my diet by reducing the sugar and carbs and increasing fruits
> >and vegetables. Combine that with exercising at the gym 3 to 5 days a
> >week (30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes strength training) and my blood
> >sugar is normal. I could pass a blood glucose tolerance test easily.

> Don't bet on that. Just because you control with diet and exercise,
> does not mean you aren't a diabetic. A GTT provides full frontal
> attack on your insulin production and resistance. No whole grains
> involved.
>
> Nothing cures T2 diabetes...you can control it, but you cannot cure
> it. - at least not with any methods we have now.
>
> Boron

Better with lifestyle change tho' that drugs. You will keep your
kidneys and legs longer.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

David Harmon[_2_] 26-02-2010 05:37 PM

Dietary Question

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:48:30 +0000 (UTC) in rec.food.cooking, Doug
Freyburger > wrote,
>Wheat is my issue. I never expect anyone to care about it or to plan
>for it. I never expect a separate dish to be available. As common as
>wheat is I hardly ever get in a situation where everything has wheat.

Depends on circumstances, of course, but if I am cooking I really
appreciate knowing in advance people's dietary restrictions. In many
cases it is just as easy to make a dish without wheat as the default
with.

Doug Freyburger 26-02-2010 06:19 PM

Dietary Question

Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> Once I discovered the difference in my health dropping wheat made, my
>> attitude towards it changed dramatically. Moo. Give that poisonous
>> grass stuff to the cows and I'll eat the cows thanks.

Thing is before I tried Atkins I had never gone a week wheat free in my
life. It was as much a part of the background as water. I was what I
thought was healthy and normal. I had no data and no idea that I had
any food intolerance. The increased health was very surprising to me.
And now I read folks who claim they have no food intolerances and I ask
- What foods do you eat all the time? Have you ever gone a week without
that food as far back as you can recall? In the absense of real data I
would have claimed I have no food intolerances.

Once I knew what happened when I went wheat free I auditted all of the
other foods I eat regularly. On the list were eggs and dairy. So a few
months down the line I went egg free for a couple of weeks and then
added eggs back in. Then in another month I went dairy free for a
couple of weeks then added dairy back in.

>> With a new
>> attitude I developed very fast and easy mental wheat filters. I scan a
>> menu or shelf and my mind ignores items that are likely to have wheat.
>> It took some practice to train my mind to it but it became easy in a few
>> months.

> I think this is true no matter how one chooses to eat. I think this
> is part of how some people don't see the boxed stuff in the store, like
> us, and how some people don't seem to find the real food and good deals.

Shopping habits are a matter of efficiency. I get that. Focus on what
you want and filter out the rest. I don't think folks even realize the
amount of filtering their minds do. When I changed how I ate I went
through the grocery store looking at every level of every shelf in every
ailse looking for stuff I had been ignoring. Then I decided what I was
going to start ignoring and what I was going to start focusing on. It
was work but with a little practice it got easy.

> I have trained myself to look for vegetables, fruit, whole grains,
> things like that. I've also trained myself to look for the orange mark
> down stickers, because it means we can get a treat for less (there was
> not from concentrate orange juice marked down recently that came in
> handy as we were all sick), or staples for a much better price. I
> bought a bunch of organic, non-GMO cornmeal for a better price than the
> plain yellow.

At this point some store could have a display of free whole wheat bread
and I wouldn't even notice it.

> So our corn bread has been blue for a little while.

Breathe, bread, breathe! Get that oxygen flowing! ;^)

Dimitri 26-02-2010 07:49 PM

Dietary Question

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed
> with type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
> follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet
> how do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to
> do something only to fail badly at it.
> -ginny

None.

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Miche[_2_] 26-02-2010 09:06 PM

Dietary Question

In article >,
"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:

> How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
> type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
> follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
> do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
> something only to fail badly at it.

I'm gluten-free. I sometimes use GF foods, sometimes make my own, but
mostly eat stuff that's naturally GF in any case (fresh fruit and
vegetables, rice, potatoes, other GF starches like sorghum,
minimally-processed meats and dairy products, etc).

I also read labels. A lot.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Miche[_2_] 26-02-2010 09:18 PM

Dietary Question

In article >,
Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> >
> > How many here have some form of food restriction diet?

> I'm wheat intolerant.
>
> > If you have a condition/diet how do you do it?

> I never expect anyone to take it into account but lots of people try to.
> Folks like to take care and that's nice for the thought.
>
> Once I discovered the difference in my health dropping wheat made, my
> attitude towards it changed dramatically. Moo. Give that poisonous
> grass stuff to the cows and I'll eat the cows thanks. With a new
> attitude I developed very fast and easy mental wheat filters. I scan a
> menu or shelf and my mind ignores items that are likely to have wheat.
> It took some practice to train my mind to it but it became easy in a few
> months.

Yeah, I found the same. Once wheat and gluten stuff went "off my
radar", I stopped even regarding them as food.

> > Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
> > something only to fail badly at it.

> Something nice happened to me after a bunch of years of active avoidance
> - I now get less and less reaction when I get an accidental or
> deliberate dose of wheat. If I have cream of some-veggie soup and they
> used flour as a thickener I might now only get sweaty scalp and
> indigestion. Eleven years in and I can have a slice of pizza with the
> crust once in a year and as long as I start chewing gum as soon as the
> slice is gone and I chew the gum for several hours, the indigestion is
> mild. A cheat that bad and I still snore loudly for two nights in a
> row, though. The gum helps push it past the indigestion phase is all

That's interesting. I've found my reactions getting worse over the
years, to the point where the equivalent of about a tablespoon of flour
will put me flat on my back for 2 - 3 days.

> Wheat is my issue. I never expect anyone to care about it or to plan
> for it. I never expect a separate dish to be available. As common as
> wheat is I hardly ever get in a situation where everything has wheat.
> At times I have nothing but the salad, but I like salad.

I don't expect people to plan for it either, although I really
appreciate it if I do.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Miche[_2_] 26-02-2010 09:21 PM

Dietary Question

In article > ,
David Harmon > wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:48:30 +0000 (UTC) in rec.food.cooking, Doug
> Freyburger > wrote,
> >Wheat is my issue. I never expect anyone to care about it or to plan
> >for it. I never expect a separate dish to be available. As common as
> >wheat is I hardly ever get in a situation where everything has wheat.

> Depends on circumstances, of course, but if I am cooking I really
> appreciate knowing in advance people's dietary restrictions. In many
> cases it is just as easy to make a dish without wheat as the default
> with.

Yes, it is. The number of people who go into a flap about "You mean you
can't eat any bread, biscuits/cookies, cake, scones, bagels,
breadcrumbs, etc etc ad nauseam AT ALL? Then what do you eat?" can be
amusing. Eating GF isn't as big a deal as a lot of people think, but it
does mean using a whole lot fewer processed foods.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Miche[_2_] 26-02-2010 09:24 PM

Dietary Question

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
> >
> >> I sometimes feel like I'm the only person on rfc with no health
> >> issues.

> > I don't either.

> Make me three. No significant health or dietary problems (real or
> imagined). I don't bore people with any dietary or health woes and can
> go into any meal situation with optimism and not fear.

Yeah, so do I, and I _do_ have a dietary restriction. It's all about
attitude.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Dan Abel 26-02-2010 10:25 PM

Dietary Question

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:44:45 -0800, Ron > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:15:26 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > wrote:

> >>type 2 diabetes

> >I manage my diet by reducing the sugar and carbs and increasing fruits
> >and vegetables. Combine that with exercising at the gym 3 to 5 days a
> >week (30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes strength training) and my blood
> >sugar is normal. I could pass a blood glucose tolerance test easily.

> Don't bet on that. Just because you control with diet and exercise,
> does not mean you aren't a diabetic. A GTT provides full frontal
> attack on your insulin production and resistance. No whole grains
> involved.

I have to agree with Boron here. You may have nothing to fear from a
fasting or two hour postprandial (after a meal) blood sugar test, since
you are under control, but the GTT is a deliberate test to see how your
body does when you are subjected to an out of control situation. That's
one of the reasons it isn't used as much any more, because it doesn't
tell your health professional how you are doing, day to day, but only
how your body handles sugar stress. I took the GTT three times, all
over 40 years ago (and I understand that it has changed since then), and
I renamed it to the Glucose Torture Test. The lab tech refused to
finish the test the last two times. It was obvious from just looking at
me that I had failed, and continuing for the full five hours just would
have made me sicker.

> Nothing cures T2 diabetes...you can control it, but you cannot cure
> it. - at least not with any methods we have now.

That's what the professionals tell me. You can control it, even for the
rest of your life, but it's always there, waiting. Plus, it generally
gets worse as you age. Once you're a type two diabetic, you're *always*
a type two diabetic.

> >Don't forget the exercising... it's as important as the dieting.

I've always been told that diet is #1 and exercise is #2, but they are
both very important. You can literally watch your blood sugar go down
with exercise. And when I change my exercise lifestyle, I have to
change my insulin dosage.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Omelet[_7_] 26-02-2010 11:33 PM

Dietary Question

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> > Depends on circumstances, of course, but if I am cooking I really
> > appreciate knowing in advance people's dietary restrictions. In many
> > cases it is just as easy to make a dish without wheat as the default
> > with.

> Yes, it is. The number of people who go into a flap about "You mean you
> can't eat any bread, biscuits/cookies, cake, scones, bagels,
> breadcrumbs, etc etc ad nauseam AT ALL? Then what do you eat?" can be
> amusing. Eating GF isn't as big a deal as a lot of people think, but it
> does mean using a whole lot fewer processed foods.
>
> Miche

This is so true. :-) A wheat based diet seems to be the american way.
Frankly, I don't miss the stuff when it makes me deathly ill for hours
when I dare to eat more than a sampling of it.

Dad brought home some marble cake a few days ago. After a couple of
days of resisting it (and being in one of my less resistant "moods"), I
finally gave in and ate a couple of small (1") slices of it.

Spent the next 6 hours in bed being very sick until I was able to
finally throw most of it up. I just can't seem to digest it and my
stomach won't empty... Just sits in there and rots and builds up acid.

Nasty.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Omelet[_7_] 26-02-2010 11:37 PM

Dietary Question

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> In article >,
> Goomba > wrote:
>
> > Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
> > > In article

> > > I don't either.

> > Make me three. No significant health or dietary problems (real or
> > imagined). I don't bore people with any dietary or health woes and can
> > go into any meal situation with optimism and not fear.

> Yeah, so do I, and I _do_ have a dietary restriction. It's all about
> attitude.
>
> Miche

And paying for the aftermath when you make a mistake. For some odd
reason, holier than thou' people like Goomba have NO idea what it's like
to have food intolerances and seem to think that those of us that do are
just making it up or something.

She's a nurse. You'd think she'd know better.

She does not seem to understand that gluten/wheat intolerance is an
extremely common problem and sharing recipes and experiences can help
those on the list that have this issue.

She's an intolerant snob of the worst kind.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Omelet[_7_] 26-02-2010 11:38 PM

Dietary Question

In article >,
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> In article >,
> Miche > wrote:
>
> > Yes, it is. The number of people who go into a flap about "You mean you
> > can't eat any bread, biscuits/cookies, cake, scones, bagels,
> > breadcrumbs, etc etc ad nauseam AT ALL? Then what do you eat?" can be
> > amusing. Eating GF isn't as big a deal as a lot of people think, but it
> > does mean using a whole lot fewer processed foods.

> I imagine making a meal or even a day's worth of meals for someone
> who is GF wouldn't be that hard for the average person, but I think it
> would be a harder thing to do on a long term basis.

It's actually not hard to avoid wheat at all. :-) There are LOTS of
healthy foods that do not contain that grain.

You know how to cook. That MAKES it easy...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Doug Freyburger 26-02-2010 11:49 PM

Dietary Question

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

> I imagine making a meal or even a day's worth of meals for someone
> who is GF wouldn't be that hard for the average person, but I think it
> would be a harder thing to do on a long term basis.

Practice makes easy. At my house the only pasta is the stuff made from
quinoa or rice or corn. The only baked kits are gluten free. And so
on. Shopping for it becomes natural over time. And once almost nothing
in the house contains wheat it's trivial to keep it that way.

Arri London 27-02-2010 03:22 AM

Dietary Question

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Feb 25, 11:15 am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> > How many here have some form of food restriction diet?

> Not me. I tend to avoid foods that slow down my digestive system
> (e.g., potatoes), but sometimes I'll eat them anyway and take a
> Citrucel to compensate.
>
> I sometimes feel like I'm the only person on rfc with no health
> issues.
>
> Knock wood.

No food-related health issues here either. Other than eating too much
lately. Just need to take iron tablets a few times per week.

cshenk 27-02-2010 03:47 PM

Dietary Question

"Arri London" wrote
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> "Virginia Tadrzynski" wrote:

>> > How many here have some form of food restriction diet?

>> I sometimes feel like I'm the only person on rfc with no health
>> issues.

> No food-related health issues here either. Other than eating too much
> lately. Just need to take iron tablets a few times per week.

We have a few but nothing horrendous. Have to watch cholestrol, sweets and
salt (DH has to stay within 2,000mg a day and by Doc's prerernce, aim at
1,500mg a day). Folks who actually cook, can do this set fairly easily.

blake murphy[_2_] 27-02-2010 06:47 PM

Dietary Question

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:06:28 +1300, Miche wrote:

> In article >,
> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
>
>> How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
>> type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
>> follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
>> do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
>> something only to fail badly at it.

> I'm gluten-free. I sometimes use GF foods, sometimes make my own, but
> mostly eat stuff that's naturally GF in any case (fresh fruit and
> vegetables, rice, potatoes, other GF starches like sorghum,
> minimally-processed meats and dairy products, etc).
>
> I also read labels. A lot.
>
> Miche

i'm not food-restricted, but i do read labels. is this stuff mostly sugar
(sorry, HFCS)? is this spice blend mostly salt?

plus, i'm easily entertained at the grocery store.

your pal,
blake

Cindy Fuller 01-03-2010 02:13 AM

Dietary Question

In article >,
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> In article >,
> Miche > wrote:
>
> > Yes, it is. The number of people who go into a flap about "You mean you
> > can't eat any bread, biscuits/cookies, cake, scones, bagels,
> > breadcrumbs, etc etc ad nauseam AT ALL? Then what do you eat?" can be
> > amusing. Eating GF isn't as big a deal as a lot of people think, but it
> > does mean using a whole lot fewer processed foods.

> I imagine making a meal or even a day's worth of meals for someone
> who is GF wouldn't be that hard for the average person, but I think it
> would be a harder thing to do on a long term basis.

It is getting easier than it was 5 or 10 years ago. Even mainstream
food companies are putting out gluten-free cake mixes and the like. The
store we routinely shop at has a very good laundry list of GF products
that they carry.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Arri London 01-03-2010 02:33 AM

Dietary Question

cshenk wrote:

> "Arri London" wrote
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I sometimes feel like I'm the only person on rfc with no health
> >> issues.

> > No food-related health issues here either. Other than eating too much
> > lately. Just need to take iron tablets a few times per week.

> We have a few but nothing horrendous. Have to watch cholestrol, sweets and
> salt (DH has to stay within 2,000mg a day and by Doc's prerernce, aim at
> 1,500mg a day). Folks who actually cook, can do this set fairly easily.

Am cutting down on salt somewhat. Shame really, cos those salty snacks
are wonderful LOL!
The last cholesterol level was a bit too high but currently blaming that
on eating too much full stop.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 01-03-2010 10:14 PM

Dietary Question

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> How many here have some form of food restriction diet? I was diagnosed with
> type 2 diabetes a number of years ago and was given a regimen to
> follow.......harder than it looks/sounds. If you have a condition/diet how
> do you do it? Just curious, as it seems like a never ending attempt to do
> something only to fail badly at it.
> -ginny

Carbohydrates raise blood glucose. Some people do well with whole grains
and others do not so the best way is to use your meter one hour, two
hours and three hours after a meal and check to see how what you ate
effected your blood glucose.

Ginny, no one can give you all the answers because you are unique and
your body may react differently than other people.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Miche[_2_] 02-03-2010 05:16 AM

Dietary Question

In article

,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> In article >,
> Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Miche > wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, it is. The number of people who go into a flap about "You mean you
> > > can't eat any bread, biscuits/cookies, cake, scones, bagels,
> > > breadcrumbs, etc etc ad nauseam AT ALL? Then what do you eat?" can be
> > > amusing. Eating GF isn't as big a deal as a lot of people think, but it
> > > does mean using a whole lot fewer processed foods.

> > I imagine making a meal or even a day's worth of meals for someone
> > who is GF wouldn't be that hard for the average person, but I think it
> > would be a harder thing to do on a long term basis.
> >

> It is getting easier than it was 5 or 10 years ago. Even mainstream
> food companies are putting out gluten-free cake mixes and the like. The
> store we routinely shop at has a very good laundry list of GF products
> that they carry.

It's even better than it was one or two years ago.

Our supermarket has a GF section with just about everything a person
could want. Even one of the mainstream bakers has started making GF
bread, and it's damn good -- at least as good as I can make myself.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases