Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New wives tales

While I was writting that biskie response, I got to thinking about the
bacon grease trick I learned from my late MIL. She was a awesome
natural cook from the old school, namely a small rural farm. Anyway,
I remember asking her, once, how do you prevent that brown baking pan
plaque that builds up on bakeware and is near impossible to remove,
short of sandblasting. She looked at me like I was a moron and
quietly said, matter-of-factly, "never use vegetable oil". I've found
this sage advice to be true. Butter, bacon grease, real lard,
whatever, jes nothing from a plant. Seems to be true. Animal fats It
may color the pan, but doesn't leave that soft epoxy-like crud. Sorry
vegans, yer screwed!

What actual kitchen tricks do you have that have proved, by long use,
to be true.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 2:33*pm, notbob > wrote:
(snip)
>Butter, bacon grease, real lard,
> whatever, jes nothing from a plant. *Seems to be true. *Animal fats It
> may color the pan, but doesn't leave that soft epoxy-like crud.
> What actual kitchen tricks do you have that have proved, by long use,
> to be true.

Good to know, thanks. At the time I learned of one trick, quite a
long time ago, it seemed of simple good sense. Whenever to eat
something you know or imagine you may have a "gas" build up problem
with, like a common pot of baked beans, put 1/2 to 1 teaspoon or
baking soda in as you begin the cook. Works every time for beans as
well as broccoli. Does not add any taste to the dish, just prevents
gas!
....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 2:33*pm, notbob > wrote:
> While I was writting that biskie response, I got to thinking about the
> bacon grease trick I learned from my late MIL. *She was a awesome
> natural cook from the old school, namely a small rural farm. *Anyway,
> I remember asking her, once, how do you prevent that brown baking pan
> plaque that builds up on bakeware and is near impossible to remove,
> short of sandblasting. *She looked at me like I was a moron and
> quietly said, matter-of-factly, "never use vegetable oil". *I've found
> this sage advice to be true. *Butter, bacon grease, real lard,
> whatever, jes nothing from a plant. *Seems to be true. *Animal fats It
> may color the pan, but doesn't leave that soft epoxy-like crud. *Sorry
> vegans, yer screwed!
>
> What actual kitchen tricks do you have that have proved, by long use,
> to be true.
>
> nb

A "watch pot" never boils but just don't watch it and see what happens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 17, 2:33*pm, notbob > wrote:
> While I was writting that biskie response, I got to thinking about the
> bacon grease trick I learned from my late MIL. *She was a awesome
> natural cook from the old school, namely a small rural farm. *Anyway,
> I remember asking her, once, how do you prevent that brown baking pan
> plaque that builds up on bakeware and is near impossible to remove,
> short of sandblasting. *She looked at me like I was a moron and
> quietly said, matter-of-factly, "never use vegetable oil". *I've found
> this sage advice to be true. *Butter, bacon grease, real lard,
> whatever, jes nothing from a plant. *Seems to be true. *Animal fats It
> may color the pan, but doesn't leave that soft epoxy-like crud. *Sorry
> vegans, yer screwed!
>
> What actual kitchen tricks do you have that have proved, by long use,
> to be true.
>
> nb

Learn something every day...... thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> short of sandblasting. She looked at me like I was a moron and
> quietly said, matter-of-factly, "never use vegetable oil". I've found
> this sage advice to be true. Butter, bacon grease, real lard,
> whatever, jes nothing from a plant. Seems to be true. Animal fats It
> may color the pan, but doesn't leave that soft epoxy-like crud. Sorry
> vegans, yer screwed!

You could probably use coconut oil for that.
The polymerization reaction occurs when the
unsaturated bonds open up and bond to each
other. Animal fats are highly saturated,
and that's why they don't polymerize so
readily. Coconut oil is even more unsaturated
than animal fats, so it should be more resistant
to polymerization. For the same reason, it is
also much worse for your cardiovascular health
than animal fats.

wives at the Emmys graham General Cooking 1 24-09-2012 07:41 AM
Cheating wives in your area [email protected] Sushi 0 30-11-2010 03:58 PM
Vermentino tales jcoulter Wine 6 03-01-2005 04:25 PM
Tales of old Inns 1939 FA Tylwyth Beer 0 06-04-2004 11:57 PM