Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Any rum drinkers here?

I'm starting to get into premium rums. I don't mean the flavored
stuff or froo-froo drinks, but premium aged dark rum that you sip
slowly and savor.

I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.

I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
premium aged rums for
recommendations?

anybody? (hic....) ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> I'm starting to get into premium rums. I don't mean the flavored
> stuff or froo-froo drinks, but premium aged dark rum that you sip
> slowly and savor.
>
> I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
> favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
> I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.
>
> I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
> premium aged rums for
> recommendations?
>
> anybody? (hic....) ;-)

Try Pusser's. It's the original British Navy Rum, and is made in wooden
receptacles that have been used for the purpose for about 200 years, if
memory serves. The resulting flavor is great.

I don't drink it or any other rum straight, but it is the only rum I use in
truffles, since it is the only one with a flavor that shines through. It is
also apparently one of the few rums that doesn't have some kind of added
ingredient in the process (even ones that appear to be high-end).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 12:59*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> I'm starting to get into premium rums. * I don't mean the flavored
> stuff or froo-froo drinks, but premium aged dark rum that you sip
> slowly and savor.
>
> I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
> favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
> I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.
>
> I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
> premium aged rums for
> recommendations?
>
> anybody? * (hic....) ;-)

If you are not in the U.S. you should try Havana Club 7 Year. It is
fantastic.

Cam
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 17, 11:16*am, Cam > wrote:
> On Feb 17, 12:59*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > I'm starting to get into premium rums. * I don't mean the flavored
> > stuff or froo-froo drinks, but premium aged dark rum that you sip
> > slowly and savor.

> > I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
> > favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
> > I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.

> > I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
> > premium aged rums for
> > recommendations?

> > anybody? * (hic....) ;-)

> If you are not in the U.S. you should try Havana Club 7 Year. It is
> fantastic.
>
> Cam

In the US. I really want the Cuban embargo to be over and done
with. :-(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
| I'm starting to get into premium rums. I don't mean the flavored
| stuff or froo-froo drinks, but premium aged dark rum that you sip
| slowly and savor.
|
| I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
| favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
| I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.
|
| I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
| premium aged rums for
| recommendations?
|
| anybody? (hic....) ;-)

Rhum Barbancourt, from Haiti. 5-star is wonderful, smooth, big
flavor and can be drunk from a brandy snifter. Their Estate
Reserve is almost beyond belief, quality level of an XO Cognac.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...aitirum12.html
pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 17, 12:08*pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message

> | I'm starting to get into premium rums. * I don't mean the flavored
> | stuff or froo-froo drinks, but premium aged dark rum that you sip
> | slowly and savor.
> |
> | I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
> | favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
> | I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.
> |
> | I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
> | premium aged rums for
> | recommendations?
> |
> | anybody? * (hic....) ;-)
>
> Rhum Barbancourt, from Haiti. *5-star is wonderful, smooth, big
> flavor and can be drunk from a brandy snifter. *Their Estate
> Reserve is almost beyond belief, quality level of an XO Cognac.http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...50695_haitirum...
> pavane

Thanks....in honor of Haiti and their troubles I'll pick up the
Reserve on the way home today!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Feb 17, 12:08 pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message

> | I'm starting to get into premium rums. I don't mean the flavored
> | stuff or froo-froo drinks, but premium aged dark rum that you sip
> | slowly and savor.
> |
> | I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
> | favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
> | I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.
> |
> | I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
> | premium aged rums for
> | recommendations?
> |
> | anybody? (hic....) ;-)
>
> Rhum Barbancourt, from Haiti. 5-star is wonderful, smooth, big
> flavor and can be drunk from a brandy snifter. Their Estate
> Reserve is almost beyond belief, quality level of an XO
> Cognac.http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...50695_haitirum...
> pavane

Thanks....in honor of Haiti and their troubles I'll pick up the
Reserve on the way home today!!
I agree with your sentiment. Please do report on it.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
> premium aged rums for
> recommendations?

I really like Coyopa rum, though I haven't seen it
for a few years. When I first saw it, it was often
on sale for $9.99 a bottle, which was a steal.
I'd clean out the store every time I saw it.
For years I had bottles of it around. Very smooth,
like a good Canadian whiskey.

It had a crazy bottle that would light up and play
music. I hated that aspect, after the first bottle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in message
[snip]
> I really like Coyopa rum, though I haven't seen it
> for a few years. When I first saw it, it was often
> on sale for $9.99 a bottle, which was a steal.
> I'd clean out the store every time I saw it.
> For years I had bottles of it around. Very smooth,
> like a good Canadian whiskey.

I think those days are long-since in the past. Even cheap hooch isn't
lately.

> It had a crazy bottle that would light up and play
> music. I hated that aspect, after the first bottle.

A search on coyopa netted the below PRC source in Chino.

http://www.napacabs.com/Coyopa-10-Ye...0ml-P3950.aspx

It's not US$9.99 but does offer the qualities you were mentioning. Did the
distillery go out of business or get gobbled up by Seagrams?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> I'm starting to get into premium rums. I don't mean the flavored
> stuff or froo-froo drinks, but premium aged dark rum that you sip
> slowly and savor.
>
> I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
> favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
> I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.
>
> I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
> premium aged rums for
> recommendations?
>
> anybody? (hic....) ;-)

It has never occurred to me to look for or buy premium aged rums. I
enjoy the occasional glass of dark rum straight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> I'm starting to get into premium rums. I don't mean the flavored
> stuff or froo-froo drinks, but premium aged dark rum that you sip
> slowly and savor.
>
> I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
> favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
> I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.
>
> I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
> premium aged rums for
> recommendations?
>
> anybody? (hic....) ;-)

Westerhall Plantation Rum from Granada is good if you can find it. It's
more amber than dark, but as smooth as a baby's cheek. While you're sipping
tequila, don't overlook Gran Centenario Anejo.

Keith

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 17, 3:05*pm, "K" > wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
> > I'm starting to get into premium rums. * I don't mean the flavored
> > stuff or froo-froo drinks, but premium aged dark rum that you sip
> > slowly and savor.

> > I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
> > favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
> > I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.

> > I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
> > premium aged rums for
> > recommendations?

> > anybody? * (hic....) ;-)

> Westerhall Plantation Rum from Granada is good if you can find it. *It's
> more amber than dark, but as smooth as a baby's cheek. *While you're sipping
> tequila, don't overlook Gran Centenario Anejo.
>
> Keith
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

I've never tried the gran Centenario Anejo, but I do like the Patron
Anejo, ever tried that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 3:05 pm, "K" > wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
> > I'm starting to get into premium rums. I don't mean the flavored
> > stuff or froo-froo drinks, but premium aged dark rum that you sip
> > slowly and savor.

> > I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
> > favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
> > I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.

> > I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
> > premium aged rums for
> > recommendations?

> > anybody? (hic....) ;-)

> Westerhall Plantation Rum from Granada is good if you can find it. It's
> more amber than dark, but as smooth as a baby's cheek. While you're sipping
> tequila, don't overlook Gran Centenario Anejo.
>
> Keith
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

I've never tried the gran Centenario Anejo, but I do like the Patron
Anejo, ever tried that?
Uh...it's delicious, but it is tequila, not rum, isn't it?

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:59:00 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
>favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
>I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.
>
>I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
>premium aged rums for
>recommendations?

Funny you should ask. We spent our holidays in Puerto Rico this year,
and drank an awful lot of fine sipping rum every evening. 8

From Puerto Rico:

Bacardi 8-yr.
Ron de Barrilito 3-star
Seralles Don Q Anejo
Seralles Don Q Grand Anejo
Bacardi Reserva Limitada

From the Dominican Republic:

Barcelo Anejo
Barcelo Imperial
Brugal Anejo DR

From St. Croix:

Cruzan Single Barrel Estate 12 yr.
Cruzan Estate Diamond

All of the above are recommended as sipping rums. Mixing them would be
sacrilege. Unlike Scotch, even a few drops of water does not help them
"open up" or improve them in any way.

We spent several evenings at a restaurant in the Condado section of
San Juan named Jam's Rum Bar. It offered around eighty rums, including
white, gold, dark, and all of the above sipping rums. We found that
it's quite enjoyable to have a multi-course meal pairing various
sipping rums with each course.

Of those listed, the Cruzan Single Barrel was a terrfiic all-around
food rum. It was bright and went well with almost everything.

For straight sipping, our second choice was the Don Q Grand Anejo, at
around $50 a bottle. We brought three home with us.

But the very best of all -- absolutely incredible -- was the Bacardi
Reserva Limitada, at around $90 per bottle. If you ever find it by the
glass, give it a try. Extraordinary. Up there with Springbank 25, the
1974 Ardbeg 18, and Glen Grant 30 yr.

In the US, you can find restaurants with broad sipping rum collections
in many major cities. Two that come to mind are Norman's (Norman Van
Aken) in the Orlando Ritz Carlton. His former Miami restaurant had a
collection on a par with Jam's. And MK in Chicago also has a good
assortment, including two Cruzans last time we visited.

For a somewhat different taste, particularly suited to sipping from a
snifter at poolside on a balmy summer night, you might try Pyrat from
Anguilla. It has a noticeable orange flavor and is addictive. And it's
inexpensive, at around $0 a bottle.

(For bona fides, we do keep around 110 different single malts in our
home, as well as an assortment of bourbons (nothing compares to 22/23
yr. Pappy Van Winkle Reserve), Cognacs, Armagnacs, Salignacs,
Calvados, and rums.)

To paraphrase a famous Amurrican: "Drink too much? There *ain't* too
much."

Enjoy your sampling!

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:59:00 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags

>I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
>favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
>I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.

>I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
>premium aged rums for recommendations?

Annerversario is not a bad choice, and is found in just about
any cocktail lounge these days. It is worth asking for it
in a brandy snifter.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Any rum drinkers here?/tried one last night

On Feb 17, 12:23*pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message

> On Feb 17, 12:08 pm, "pavane" > wrote:
>

> > "ImStillMags" > wrote in message

> > | I'm starting to get into premium rums. I don't mean the flavored
> > | stuff or froo-froo drinks, but premium aged dark rum that you sip
> > | slowly and savor.
> > |
> > | I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
> > | favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
> > | I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.
> > |
> > | I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
> > | premium aged rums for
> > | recommendations?
> > |
> > | anybody? (hic....) ;-)

> > Rhum Barbancourt, from Haiti. 5-star is wonderful, smooth, big
> > flavor and can be drunk from a brandy snifter. Their Estate
> > Reserve is almost beyond belief, quality level of an XO
> > Cognac.http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...50695_haitirum...
> > pavane

> Thanks....in honor of Haiti and their troubles I'll pick up the
> Reserve on the way home today!!
> I agree with your sentiment. *Please do report on it.
>
> pavane

I got a bottle of the Barbancourt last evening on the way home. It
was on 'sale' at $26.50, not a bad price.
I found it quite smooth. Very flavorful with hints of vanilla and the
taste of the sugar cane was there without being 'sweet'.
It was on the order of a cognac and I found it pleasing.

I'm going to try some others that were mentioned here, probably at a
favorite watering hole since I don't want to break the bank buying
bottles of some of the more expensive ones.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
I got a bottle of the Barbancourt last evening on the way home. It
was on 'sale' at $26.50, not a bad price.
I found it quite smooth. Very flavorful with hints of vanilla and the
taste of the sugar cane was there without being 'sweet'.
It was on the order of a cognac and I found it pleasing.

I'm going to try some others that were mentioned here, probably at a
favorite watering hole since I don't want to break the bank buying
bottles of some of the more expensive ones.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Glad you like it. There are some wonderful other rums out there,
and this is a surprisingly current book that is great fun, particularly
if you know of or remember Trader Vic:
http://tinyurl.com/yllla2p

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:
> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Feb 17, 3:05 pm, "K" > wrote:
>> ImStillMags wrote:
>>> I'm starting to get into premium rums. I don't mean the flavored
>>> stuff or froo-froo drinks, but premium aged dark rum that you sip
>>> slowly and savor.

>>> I've been a fan of single barrel aged bourbons for a while now, my
>>> favorite is Booker, I love single malt Scotches, not too smoky, and
>>> I've also become quite fond of aged premium tequilas as well.

>>> I'm looking for input from those who have made the journey into
>>> premium aged rums for
>>> recommendations?

>>> anybody? (hic....) ;-)

>> Westerhall Plantation Rum from Granada is good if you can find it.
>> It's more amber than dark, but as smooth as a baby's cheek. While
>> you're sipping tequila, don't overlook Gran Centenario Anejo.
>>
>> Keith
>>
>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

> I've never tried the gran Centenario Anejo, but I do like the Patron
> Anejo, ever tried that?
> Uh...it's delicious, but it is tequila, not rum, isn't it?
>
> pavane

The OPs question was directed to rum recommendations, but he did mention
that he liked good sipping tequilas as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 20:11:16 -0600, "K" > wrote:

>pavane wrote:
>> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message

>>> Westerhall Plantation Rum from Granada is good if you can find it.
>>> It's more amber than dark, but as smooth as a baby's cheek. While
>>> you're sipping tequila, don't overlook Gran Centenario Anejo.
>>>
>>> Keith
>>>
>>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

>> I've never tried the gran Centenario Anejo, but I do like the Patron
>> Anejo, ever tried that?
>> Uh...it's delicious, but it is tequila, not rum, isn't it?
>>
>> pavane

>The OPs question was directed to rum recommendations, but he did mention
>that he liked good sipping tequilas as well.
>

>--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Mount *** has an "Extra Aged" that is as smooth as a single barrel
bourbon.

Any Darjeeling Tea Drinkers Darjeeling Tea Addict Tea 5 21-11-2012 07:14 AM
fat wine drinkers Martin Field Wine 0 19-04-2009 11:06 PM
"While the more experienced wine drinkers might describe this wine asbeing too simple and not complex enough, millions of new wine drinkers aroundthe world love it and it does play an important role by bringing new winedrinkers into the market e [email protected] Wine 0 08-02-2009 03:49 AM
Real Tea Drinkers Only Sheldon General Cooking 26 06-07-2008 06:23 PM
To all you beer drinkers. I need help........!! Dave Beer 3 19-04-2005 08:55 PM