Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping: aem &/or piedmont - re paella recipe posted by piedmont

I couldn't find any annatto seeds at the supermarkets but did find
*ground* annatto seeds in the hispanic market near me. Does that
substitute for the paprika? Do I mix the ground annatto with oil to
color the oil? If so, how much and for how long? Does it have to be
strained out of the oil or will it dissolve?

IMWTK.
Thanks.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 12, 3:10 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> I couldn't find any annatto seeds at the supermarkets but did find
> *ground* annatto seeds in the hispanic market near me.

I've never used ground annatto. Can it still be strained out with a
strainer or will it all slip through?

> Does that
> substitute for the paprika?

I think the paprika is there for taste, so no. But if it's for color,
yes. How's that for help?

> Do I mix the ground annatto with oil to
> color the oil? If so, how much and for how long? Does it have to be
> strained out of the oil or will it dissolve?

I put about 2 TB of the seeds into about 1/4 cup barely simmering
olive oil for a few minutes to steep. How well the ground stuff can
be strained would be the question. I don't believe it dissolves, but
don't know for sure. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:59:20 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

> On Feb 12, 3:10 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > I couldn't find any annatto seeds at the supermarkets but did find
> > *ground* annatto seeds in the hispanic market near me.

> I've never used ground annatto. Can it still be strained out with a
> strainer or will it all slip through?
>
> > Does that
> > substitute for the paprika?

> I think the paprika is there for taste, so no. But if it's for color,
> yes. How's that for help?

Annatto is yellow isn't it? Paprika is red.

> > Do I mix the ground annatto with oil to
> > color the oil? If so, how much and for how long? Does it have to be
> > strained out of the oil or will it dissolve?
> >

> I put about 2 TB of the seeds into about 1/4 cup barely simmering
> olive oil for a few minutes to steep. How well the ground stuff can
> be strained would be the question. I don't believe it dissolves, but
> don't know for sure. -aem

I guess if it's so coarse that you feel like you're eating grit, you
could always strain it through cheesecloth.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Feb 12, 3:10 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > I couldn't find any annatto seeds at the supermarkets but did find
> > *ground* annatto seeds in the hispanic market near me.

> I've never used ground annatto. Can it still be strained out with a
> strainer or will it all slip through?

Don't know. Haven't done anything with it yet.

> > Does that
> > substitute for the paprika?

> I think the paprika is there for taste, so no. But if it's for color,
> yes. How's that for help?

Good enough. Thanks.

> > Do I mix the ground annatto with oil to
> > color the oil? If so, how much and for how long? Does it have to be
> > strained out of the oil or will it dissolve?
> >

> I put about 2 TB of the seeds into about 1/4 cup barely simmering
> olive oil for a few minutes to steep. How well the ground stuff can
> be strained would be the question. I don't believe it dissolves, but
> don't know for sure. -aem

I may pour it through a coffee filter and see what the filter catches.
OR I may make a run to Penzeys and get annatto seeds (I *think* they
have them.).

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Dom Schallerovych 2-10-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barb wrote:

> I may make a run to Penzeys and get annatto seeds (I *think* they have
> them.).

When I first read that, I found myself thinking, "I wish *I* lives someplace
where I could just blithely consider going to Penzeys for annatto seeds."

Then I thought, "Minnesota in February? NO WAY!!!" :-)

(Yes, I know the mantra: "We love it here. We love it here. We love it
here.")

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[snip]
> I may pour it through a coffee filter and see what the filter catches.
> OR I may make a run to Penzeys and get annatto seeds (I *think* they
> have them.).

Yes, they do. I was at my nearby Penzey's yesterday, and they
caught my eye.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Barb wrote:
>
> > I may make a run to Penzeys and get annatto seeds (I *think* they have
> > them.).

> When I first read that, I found myself thinking, "I wish *I* lives someplace
> where I could just blithely consider going to Penzeys for annatto seeds."
>
> Then I thought, "Minnesota in February? NO WAY!!!" :-)
>
> (Yes, I know the mantra: "We love it here. We love it here. We love it
> here.")
>
> Bob

It's been decent the last three days ‹ plenty of sunshine. One thing
about getting around in winter * we have experience with moving snow and
keeping the roads driveable. Temps have been moderate and there was a
little fog last evening and the hoarfrost today has been been beautiful.
It was on the trees until early-mid afternoon.

OB Lunch: After picking up Rob's new Mac from the Apple store, we
stopped at Hooter's for lunch.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Dom Schallerovych 2-10-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Barb wrote:
>
> > I may make a run to Penzeys and get annatto seeds (I *think* they have
> > them.).

> When I first read that, I found myself thinking, "I wish *I* lives someplace
> where I could just blithely consider going to Penzeys for annatto seeds."

These are difficult choices to make: Do I go to the one on Grand Ave in
St. Paul, the one in Uptown, or the one in Lakeville that's about 15
minutes from me? The other tough choice I have is which of the five
Trader Joe's I should shop at ‹ 3 are within 20-25 minutes of me.
Decisions, decisions.

> Then I thought, "Minnesota in February? NO WAY!!!" :-)
>
> (Yes, I know the mantra: "We love it here. We love it here. We love it
> here.")
>
> Bob

It's okay, Dearie. Minnesota winters are not for the faint of heart.
That's what we promote, anyway‹keeps the riff-raff out.

Ping Piedmont Brick[_3_] Barbecue 1 24-11-2009 03:21 PM
Hey Piedmont! BOB[_9_] Barbecue 11 29-07-2008 08:37 PM
Piedmont Larry Barbecue 3 22-09-2005 10:10 PM
ping Piedmont Ginger the BBQ Girl Barbecue 0 11-02-2005 03:45 PM
Ping: Piedmont and Backwoods Smokers GmagicB Barbecue 2 09-11-2004 12:32 AM