Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food today

My mom's coming tonight, just for the night (she's playing bridge an
hour away and will be there for the weekend, but she's in a day early to
come see me). I am making knaedlach* soup and garlic rolls. The kid
made a cake. Mom can't eat much these days, but I wanted to have
comfort food available for her. And now, back to cooking and cleaning
like a maniac. Only 4 hours 'til she gets here, eek!

Serene

*matzoh-ball
--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> Have a great visit! I can tell you both love her very much. I hope
> she enjoys her bridge weekend.

Thank you! The kid has amazed us this year. When she moved here, it was
essentially because she and my mom couldn't stand each other. Now they
talk on the phone, and the kid sends cards and letters to her Nana, and
all that sweet stuff. It does my heart good.

ObFood: Just finished making garlic rolls (the bread machine kneaded
the dough; broke it into 9 even pieces; dipped each piece in melted
garlic butter; let rise; baked 25 minutes at 350; brushed resulting
rolls with more garlic butter and put some of the chopped garlic bits on
top, as well. Kickass.), and the matzoh-ball dough is resting in the
fridge. About an hour before mom comes, I'll take the stock out of the
fridge, defat it a little, throw in chicken and veggies, and simmer it
until she gets here, when I'll toss in the dumplings to simmer. 15
minutes or so later, it'll be knaedlach soup.

Serene
--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
choosing." -- Pat Kight, on alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> My mom's coming tonight, just for the night (she's playing bridge an
> hour away and will be there for the weekend, but she's in a day early to
> come see me). I am making knaedlach* soup and garlic rolls. The kid
> made a cake. Mom can't eat much these days, but I wanted to have
> comfort food available for her. And now, back to cooking and cleaning
> like a maniac. Only 4 hours 'til she gets here, eek!
>
> Serene
>
> *matzoh-ball

You are a good daughter. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
>> My mom's coming tonight, just for the night (she's playing bridge an
>> hour away and will be there for the weekend, but she's in a day early to
>> come see me). I am making knaedlach* soup and garlic rolls. The kid
>> made a cake. Mom can't eat much these days, but I wanted to have
>> comfort food available for her. And now, back to cooking and cleaning
>> like a maniac. Only 4 hours 'til she gets here, eek!
>>
>> Serene
>>
>> *matzoh-ball

> You are a good daughter. :-)

Hee! I wish. If I were a good daughter, I'd be in San Diego taking care
of her.

Serene
--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
choosing." -- Pat Kight, on alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> Omelet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>>
>>> My mom's coming tonight, just for the night (she's playing bridge an
>>> hour away and will be there for the weekend, but she's in a day early to
>>> come see me). I am making knaedlach* soup and garlic rolls. The kid
>>> made a cake. Mom can't eat much these days, but I wanted to have
>>> comfort food available for her. And now, back to cooking and cleaning
>>> like a maniac. Only 4 hours 'til she gets here, eek!
>>>
>>> Serene
>>>
>>> *matzoh-ball

>> You are a good daughter. :-)

> Hee! I wish. If I were a good daughter, I'd be in San Diego taking care
> of her.
>
> Serene
> --
> "I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up, I
> believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
> choosing." -- Pat Kight, on alt.polyamory

Not necessarily. My mother and I were like flint and steel, always sparking
off one another. Sometimes it is better for ALL concerned if you aren't the
immediate care giver. You know it and she knows it. At least at this
time...there may come a time when she needs you to step in, but as it sounds
now, you are doing what is best.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> >
> >> My mom's coming tonight, just for the night (she's playing bridge an
> >> hour away and will be there for the weekend, but she's in a day early to
> >> come see me). I am making knaedlach* soup and garlic rolls. The kid
> >> made a cake. Mom can't eat much these days, but I wanted to have
> >> comfort food available for her. And now, back to cooking and cleaning
> >> like a maniac. Only 4 hours 'til she gets here, eek!
> >>
> >> Serene
> >>
> >> *matzoh-ball

> > You are a good daughter. :-)

> Hee! I wish. If I were a good daughter, I'd be in San Diego taking care
> of her.
>
> Serene

You do what you can, when you can dear! <hugs>
I am so very grateful that dad has chosen to live with ME.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Serene
>
> *matzoh-ball

One of these days I will have to cook that. The last time I had it was
on a cruise a few weeks ago. It was good, but I am sure yours is much
better. Yours is made with love.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> Serene
>>
>> *matzoh-ball

> One of these days I will have to cook that. The last time I had it was
> on a cruise a few weeks ago. It was good, but I am sure yours is much
> better. Yours is made with love.

Aww, thanks!

My mom knows that I'm trying to perfect my technique on the foods I grew
up with, and she knows it's okay to critique my attempts, because I want
to get better at making them. This time, though, she said everything
was perfect. Yay! I think I really have it down now.

The one thing I did differently from the way she does things is that I
made a nice, rich chicken stock from chicken feet, then went from there.
She usually makes her chicken soup by boiling the chicken parts with
the soup veggies, then fishing out the chicken and boning it. She didn't
seem to notice, though, and I like it better my way, because the stock
is more chicken-y, and there are no bones in the soup (one of the things
I *hated* as a kid).

Serene

--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
choosing." -- Pat Kight, on alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> The one thing I did differently from the way she does things is that I
> made a nice, rich chicken stock from chicken feet, then went from
> there. She usually makes her chicken soup by boiling the chicken
> parts with the soup veggies, then fishing out the chicken and boning
> it. She didn't seem to notice, though, and I like it better my way,
> because the stock is more chicken-y, and there are no bones in the
> soup (one of the things I *hated* as a kid).
>
> Serene

My mother never made matzoh ball soup, but she did make other chicken
soups and she never removed the bones. I hated that. lol I removed
the bones when my children were little, then for some reason, I just
continued.

Becca

Food today Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 3 27-03-2017 03:21 PM
Tried a new food today. Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 0 29-08-2013 08:11 AM
Food today: Serene Vannoy General Cooking 0 20-12-2009 11:14 PM
Food today Dave Smith General Cooking 0 28-06-2006 09:53 PM
Food today Andy General Cooking 0 28-06-2006 09:40 PM