Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shortcuts for a one-handed cook

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:28:38 -0500, Kajikit >
wrote:

>My thumb is in a brace for the next two weeks (and has been
>effectively limiting my cooking for the last month!) which rules out
>chopping, slicing, or anything involving knife skills.
>
>The pre-chopped onion/celery etc are actually pretty good. They're
>expensive but under the circumstances they're worth it. Ditto for the
>pre-sliced carrots. Much nicer than frozen ones and all you have to do
>is cut open the bag.
>
>I tried the Perdue chicken 'shortcuts' - they're okay but very salty.
>They taste like exactly like rotisserie chicken, so why not just get
>THAT? I used half in a salad and put the rest into chicken soup.
>
>Salad finishers are convenient... but contain nothing you don't
>already have in the kitchen yourself!
>
>Jarred spaghetti sauce (the more expensive brands) is pretty good. The
>cheap ones are icky. Barilla is my favourite so far.
>
>I bought tongs for turning meat. It runs away from the spatula in my
>wrong hand!
>
>Yesterday I made beef stew in the crockpot. Spaghetti sauce, chopped
>onion, bagged veggies, beef shanks. All I had to deal with myself were
>the potatoes. It was okay but the sauce flavours were very muted when
>it was done and the broccoli/cauliflower entirely dissolved! I'm a
>crockpot novice and cooked them an hour too long.
>
>Wash the dishes immediately after cooking/eating so you don't need to
>exert pressure on them to get the crud off... and use paper plates
>wherever possible! (ie. for sandwiches, snacks...)
>
>More as I think of them...

Perhaps you need to see how people with real disabilities handle
cooking at http://www.strokenetwork.org/ , then you wouldn't whine
about a finger in a brace.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 10:30:10 -0500, Kajikit >
wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:15:30 -0600, WTF > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:28:38 -0500, Kajikit >
>>wrote:

snip great hints

>>>More as I think of them...

>>Perhaps you need to see how people with real disabilities handle
>>cooking at http://www.strokenetwork.org/ , then you wouldn't whine
>>about a finger in a brace.

>You have a strange definition of 'whining' my friend... I was making
>observations that may be of use to others who are temporarily
>digitally-disadvantaged. I have the uttmost respect for people who are
>permanently disabled.

I, for one, want to thank you for your suggestions, Kajikit. They have
been helpful.

With rheumatoid arthritis, I never know exactly which part of the body
can be out of commission for awhile or longer, or even permanently.
Two weeks ago I found I couldn't use one of the fingers on my right
hand. I needed a whole new bunch of work-arounds as that was a new
disability for me (we'll see how long it lasts or whether I am stuck
with it).

Why should I have to recreate the wheel every time another part of my
hand, wrist or arm goes south? It's great seeing hints from others.

As far as "whining," you weren't, believe me, and it's no easier
doing chores with a limb temporarily disabled than it is with a
permanent disability - it's only the duration that's involved. Those
with permanent disabilities are more likely to have access to support
groups and aid tailored to their particular needs, temp injury folks
likely to not have that kind of network. It was kind of you to think
of others.

It still sucks, whether it's for a week while a cut heals, or a month
with a fracture or strain or longer with some other injury or problem.
The longer the injury, the more adept one becomes with the
workarounds.

Hope you recover quickly.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message

>>You have a strange definition of 'whining' my friend... I was making
>>observations that may be of use to others who are temporarily
>>digitally-disadvantaged. I have the uttmost respect for people who are
>>permanently disabled.

Take no noticed kaji.. he/it is just looking to stir 'anything' up.

> I, for one, want to thank you for your suggestions, Kajikit. They have
> been helpful.
>
> With rheumatoid arthritis, I never know exactly which part of the body
> can be out of commission for awhile or longer, or even permanently.
> Two weeks ago I found I couldn't use one of the fingers on my right
> hand. I needed a whole new bunch of work-arounds as that was a new
> disability for me (we'll see how long it lasts or whether I am stuck
> with it).
>
> Why should I have to recreate the wheel every time another part of my
> hand, wrist or arm goes south? It's great seeing hints from others.
>
> As far as "whining," you weren't, believe me, and it's no easier
> doing chores with a limb temporarily disabled than it is with a
> permanent disability - it's only the duration that's involved. Those
> with permanent disabilities are more likely to have access to support
> groups and aid tailored to their particular needs, temp injury folks
> likely to not have that kind of network. It was kind of you to think
> of others.
>
> It still sucks, whether it's for a week while a cut heals, or a month
> with a fracture or strain or longer with some other injury or problem.
> The longer the injury, the more adept one becomes with the
> workarounds.

Amen!

> Hope you recover quickly.

From me too! Btw Boron, given your problems, you sure get through a lot of
cooking) Well done

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
WTF > wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:28:38 -0500, Kajikit >
> wrote:

> Perhaps you need to see how people with real disabilities handle
> cooking at http://www.strokenetwork.org/ , then you wouldn't whine
> about a finger in a brace.

She wasn't whining. She announced that she's got her thumb in a brace
for two weeks and offered up a few practical things that she's
discovered for use during those two weeks. And her comments were
actually about food and cooking.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller;
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:15:30 -0600, WTF wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:28:38 -0500, Kajikit >
> wrote:
>
>>My thumb is in a brace for the next two weeks (and has been
>>effectively limiting my cooking for the last month!) which rules out
>>chopping, slicing, or anything involving knife skills.

> Perhaps you need to see how people with real disabilities handle
> cooking at http://www.strokenetwork.org/ , then you wouldn't whine
> about a finger in a brace.

oh, for god's sake. maybe the stroke victims shouldn't complain because
they could be dead.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 10:15*am, WTF > wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:28:38 -0500, Kajikit >
> wrote:
>

> >My thumb is in a brace for the next two weeks (and has been
> >effectively limiting my cooking for the last month!) which rules out
> >chopping, slicing, or anything involving knife skills.

> >The pre-chopped onion/celery etc are actually pretty good. They're
> >expensive but under the circumstances they're worth it. Ditto for the
> >pre-sliced carrots. Much nicer than frozen ones and all you have to do
> >is cut open the bag.

> >I tried the Perdue chicken 'shortcuts' - they're okay but very salty.
> >They taste like exactly like rotisserie chicken, so why not just get
> >THAT? I used half in a salad and put the rest into chicken soup.

> >Salad finishers are convenient... but contain nothing you don't
> >already have in the kitchen yourself!

> >Jarred spaghetti sauce (the more expensive brands) is pretty good. The
> >cheap ones are icky. Barilla is my favourite so far.

> >I bought tongs for turning meat. It runs away from the spatula in my
> >wrong hand!

> >Yesterday I made beef stew in the crockpot. Spaghetti sauce, chopped
> >onion, bagged veggies, beef shanks. All I had to deal with myself were
> >the potatoes. It was okay but the sauce flavours were very muted when
> >it was done and the broccoli/cauliflower entirely dissolved! I'm a
> >crockpot novice and cooked them an hour too long.

> >Wash the dishes immediately after cooking/eating so you don't need to
> >exert pressure on them to get the crud off... and use paper plates
> >wherever possible! (ie. for sandwiches, snacks...)

> >More as I think of them...

> Perhaps you need to see how people with real disabilities handle
> cooking athttp://www.strokenetwork.org/, then you wouldn't whine
> about a finger in a brace.

She did NOT 'whine'. She merely stated a fact and offered some
comments.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you, Kajikit, for all the helpful hints. It can happen to any
of us at any time. I hope you soon recover fully.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:17:21 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .

>> It still sucks, whether it's for a week while a cut heals, or a month
>> with a fracture or strain or longer with some other injury or problem.
>> The longer the injury, the more adept one becomes with the
>> workarounds.

>Amen!
>

>> Hope you recover quickly.

>From me too! Btw Boron, given your problems, you sure get through a lot of
>cooking) Well done

I have a husband who is as wonderful a cook as he is a caregiver. We
cook and bake together.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" wrote

WTF wrote:

> snip great hints

Keep them coming and I will add best as I can.

>>>Perhaps you need to see how people with real disabilities handle
>>>cooking at http://www.strokenetwork.org/ , then you wouldn't whine
>>>about a finger in a brace.

>>You have a strange definition of 'whining' my friend... I was making
>>observations that may be of use to others who are temporarily
>>digitally-disadvantaged. I have the uttmost respect for people who are
>>permanently disabled.

Have no fear Kajikit. As Boron says, you've done nothing wrong. In fact,
WTF is in my killfile, I suspect due to stupid remarks like you got.

> I, for one, want to thank you for your suggestions, Kajikit. They have
> been helpful.
>
> With rheumatoid arthritis, I never know exactly which part of the body
> can be out of commission for awhile or longer, or even permanently.
> Two weeks ago I found I couldn't use one of the fingers on my right
> hand. I needed a whole new bunch of work-arounds as that was a new
> disability for me (we'll see how long it lasts or whether I am stuck
> with it).

Sad smile, I know the feeling. I need to get computer reading glasses.
The angle of my head to the screen is causing problems with a herniated disc
in my neck. I just flipped to the ones the Navy gave me on retirement. They
are coke-bottle thick but are better.

> As far as "whining," you weren't, believe me, and it's no easier
> doing chores with a limb temporarily disabled than it is with a
> permanent disability - it's only the duration that's involved. Those

Correct.

> with permanent disabilities are more likely to have access to support
> groups and aid tailored to their particular needs, temp injury folks
> likely to not have that kind of network. It was kind of you to think
> of others.

I agree fully.

> The longer the injury, the more adept one becomes with the
> workarounds.

True.

I spent a significant time (close to 3 years) with a semi-functional right
hand and it still has issues. I am more ambidextrous than average but it
doesnt cover all tasks.

Kajikit, one thing that can help (especially long term folks) is a decent
plank of wood with nails driven from the underside then blunted a bit with a
hammer. (Dont use Pre-treated wood!) You can stick an onion on there and
chop it more easily. Tomatoes and other veggies as well. This is if you
don't have a food processor or want to make 'pretty' by hand. Frustrated
trying to cut an orange or grapefruit? Stick it on a nail then your 'other
hand' will be able to handle it while you stable the board with the other.
I had 3 of these in various depths of nails and sizes for different uses but
the base model will work.

1inch thick by 8 inch wide by about 14 inches long. Pick best side you want
to use for cutting on and flip that down. Don used vice grips to hold it in
place but 2 bricks will do if you are patient and can hammer straight. 2
inch nails so 1 inch sticks up. About 3 inches apart and off series from
each other (so you don't split the wood along the grain). Leave 4 inches at
each end totally nail free.

Flip over and place on cement solid surface then blunt the nails a bit if
safety shows you need that (I have a totally numb right hand which is 9
years later partly numb still). Using fine grit sandpaper, sand the cutting
surface especially around the nails so no splinters can get in food. Oil
and use as needed (grin).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" wrote

>>With rheumatoid arthritis, I never know exactly which part of the body
>>can be out of commission for awhile or longer, or even permanently.

Same for me. Not same RA but they keep testing me so another thing with RA
like symptoms. I keep showing negative (grin).

> That's really got to suck Boron! I shall cease whining about my
> recurring muscle strains henceforth... (not that I do whine audibly, I
> just think 'not AGAIN'!) I know a strained thumb is pretty low on the
> scale of things to whine about... but it makes the housework darned
> awkward and there isn't anyone else to do it for me! I spent a week

Hehe relax. I *does suck* even if temporary.

> If you can get them open, you can do a lot with cans and jars... use a
> non-slip lid grippy thing and you can usually open the jar with the
> back side of your hand instead of the front. If it won't open, stick a
> knife in it to break the vacuum. I made a yummy chicken soup -

Here another one I keep reminding my husband of. Open all jars *before*
putting in the fridge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:15:30 -0600, WTF wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:28:38 -0500, Kajikit >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> My thumb is in a brace for the next two weeks (and has been
>>> effectively limiting my cooking for the last month!) which rules out
>>> chopping, slicing, or anything involving knife skills.

>> Perhaps you need to see how people with real disabilities handle
>> cooking at http://www.strokenetwork.org/ , then you wouldn't whine
>> about a finger in a brace.

> oh, for god's sake. maybe the stroke victims shouldn't complain
> because they could be dead.

The politically - correct "victim culture" is one of the more odious
outgrowths of fashionable liberal "thinking"...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 12:57:05 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags wrote:

> On Feb 8, 10:40*am, Cheryl > wrote:
>> On Mon 08 Feb 2010 11:54:19a, Kajikit wrote in rec.food.cooking
>> >:
>>
>>> If you can get them open, you can do a lot with cans and jars...
>>> use a non-slip lid grippy thing and you can usually open the jar
>>> with the back side of your hand instead of the front. If it
>>> won't open, stick a knife in it to break the vacuum. *

>> One thing I can't be without in my kitchen is this jar opener. I can
>> even open small bottle caps like stuck soy sauce and other sauces
>> with this thing:
>>
>> <http://www.containerstore.com/shop/s...reg?productId=
>> 10008177>
>>
>> You can probably manage it without using your thumb. Just push with
>> the palm of your hand works fine. *I hope you feel better soon.

> I have one of these jar openers. It mounts under your cabinets and
> it is the easiest jar opener I've ever found, it's easy to
> open a jar with one hand.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Zim-Under-Coun...pd_sim_dbs_k_3

i bought my mother one of these, or something simlilar) a few years back
(she's arthritic) and my dad says they get a lot of use from it:

<http://www.amazon.com/Amco-Swing-711BK-Comfort-Opener/dp/B000HMC5JA/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_b>

your pal,
blaek
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 09:51:53 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:15:30 -0600, WTF wrote:

>>> Perhaps you need to see how people with real disabilities handle
>>> cooking at http://www.strokenetwork.org/ , then you wouldn't whine
>>> about a finger in a brace.

>> oh, for god's sake. maybe the stroke victims shouldn't complain
>> because they could be dead.

> The politically - correct "victim culture" is one of the more odious
> outgrowths of fashionable liberal "thinking"...

oh, blow me. the most whining i hear of late is from conservatives moaning
about how they are discriminated against. the poor, downtrodden white
christian male who can't get a break!

blake