Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hamburger patties.... WWJD?

I know that hamburgers aren't fine dining, but sometimes I just want
one. Not a fast-food burger, either, a real one. There are a couple
of places here in town that will serve a decent burger, but due to
scheduling, time (and sometimes money) it's not always an option.
Meanwhile, I have a George Foreman grill sitting at home that I've
never used.

I could stack up a bunch of raw hamburger patties on waxed paper in a
container in the fridge, and fry one when I want one. Problem is,
i'll have to commit to eating burgers for every meal to avoid waste.
I don't mind eating burgers that much, but it's not very healthy.

So, in lieu of that, would it be best to:

1) make a bunch of raw patties and freeze them. Pull one out when I
want one and put it straight on the grill- no thawing, just go from
frozen to cooked. I know that there are pre-frozen patties for this
use available in the supermarket, but by doing this myself I hope to
have something that is a better grade of beef and is less processed.

2) fry a bunch of patties and freeze them in a cooked state. Pull one
out when I want one and microwave it. This is the quickest
preparation, but will the taste and texture suffer more?

What do you suppose the shelf lives in the freezer would be for the
two options?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Thanks

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 7, 10:58*am, phaeton > wrote:
> I know that hamburgers aren't fine dining, but sometimes I just want
> one. *Not a fast-food burger, either, a real one. *There are a couple
> of places here in town that will serve a decent burger, but due to
> scheduling, time (and sometimes money) it's not always an option.
> Meanwhile, I have a George Foreman grill sitting at home that I've
> never used.
>
> I could stack up a bunch of raw hamburger patties on waxed paper in a
> container in the fridge, and fry one when I want one. *Problem is,
> i'll have to commit to eating burgers for every meal to avoid waste.
> I don't mind eating burgers that much, but it's not very healthy.
>
> So, in lieu of that, would it be best to:
>
> 1) make a bunch of raw patties and freeze them. *Pull one out when I
> want one and put it straight on the grill- no thawing, just go from
> frozen to cooked. *I know that there are pre-frozen patties for this
> use available in the supermarket, but by doing this myself I hope to
> have something that is a better grade of beef and is less processed.
>
> 2) fry a bunch of patties and freeze them in a cooked state. *Pull one
> out when I want one and microwave it. *This is the quickest
> preparation, but will the taste and texture suffer more?
>
> What do you suppose the shelf lives in the freezer would be for the
> two options?
>
> Sorry for the dumb questions.
>
> Thanks
>
> -J

First off I tried to do hamburgers in the George Forman grill. I
found it more steams the meat than grills it.
I would use a grill pan on the stove or just a cast iron skillet.

The best burgers are made yourself. Grab a lean cut of chuck roast
and your food processor. Cut out the
gristle and big fat pockets from the chuck, cut it into small chunks
and them process them a few chunks at a
time by pulsing till the meat "looks" like hamburger. Form whatever
size patties you like. Wrap them
individually first in plastic wrap and then in foil and freeze
them.

Then, before you leave the house for work. Take a patty out of the
freezer. Take off the foil and put the
patty on a saucer and leave in the refrigerator to thaw. By the time
you get home it should be sufficiently
thawed to cook.

cook on a grill pan or cast iron skillet and Ta Da!!! a really really
good hamburger.

And you know where the meat came from and exactly what's in it. I
don't trust pre made patties at all.

Oh, btw. Black pepper and garlic salt on the patty before you cook
it. I know, I've heard you should never
salt a burger before you cook it but I have found that it pulls a bit
of moisture out of the beef and makes a crust
rather than drying it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"phaeton" > wrote in message
> So, in lieu of that, would it be best to:
>
> 1) make a bunch of raw patties and freeze them. Pull one out when I
> want one and put it straight on the grill- no thawing, just go from
> frozen to cooked. I know that there are pre-frozen patties for this
> use available in the supermarket, but by doing this myself I hope to
> have something that is a better grade of beef and is less processed.

I'd thaw it first. I've never used a GF grill so that may help steam them a
bit, but frying, the outside will burn before the inside is cooked. Thaw
them by sitting the patty in a thick cast iron or aluminum pan. If I had a
GF grill, I might try one to see what does happen though.

> 2) fry a bunch of patties and freeze them in a cooked state. Pull one
> out when I want one and microwave it. This is the quickest
> preparation, but will the taste and texture suffer more?

They would be OK in a pinch, but not as good as right now cooked.

> What do you suppose the shelf lives in the freezer would be for the
> two options?

Easy 4 to 6 months if well wrapped. I'd freeze them at least partly, then
wrap in plastic wrap, then in a bag to freeze.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 10:58:00 -0800 (PST), phaeton

>I know that hamburgers aren't fine dining,

Disagree!!

>but sometimes I just want
>one. Not a fast-food burger, either, a real one. There are a couple
>of places here in town that will serve a decent burger, but due to
>scheduling, time (and sometimes money) it's not always an option.
>Meanwhile, I have a George Foreman grill sitting at home that I've
>never used.

>I could stack up a bunch of raw hamburger patties on waxed paper in a
>container in the fridge, and fry one when I want one. Problem is,
>i'll have to commit to eating burgers for every meal to avoid waste.
>I don't mind eating burgers that much, but it's not very healthy.

>So, in lieu of that, would it be best to:

>1) make a bunch of raw patties and freeze them. [snip]

>2) fry a bunch of patties and freeze them in a cooked state. [snip]

We just went through this exercise today -- we had a pound of
grass-fed hamburger from the farmers' market. We don't normally eat
a full serving of meat more than once or twice per week. So
we wanted to figure out how to freeze half of it.

So we made hamburgers using half a pound, and took the rest of it
and fried it up with NM chile powder and added it to a batch of
chili, and froze that. Cooked chili with cooked ground beef
freezes really well. The total weight of the chili, including
the cooked ground beef, was 40 ounces.

But of your two original options, I prefer neither -- if it is
fresh, never frozen hamburger, I would freeze it before ever
even forming it into patties.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 10:58:00 -0800 (PST), phaeton wrote:

> So, in lieu of that, would it be best to:
>
> 1) make a bunch of raw patties and freeze them.

Yes.

a> Let it sit out to thaw partially before cooking.
b> Put it in a low power microwave to thaw (many people couldn't
get this right if their life depended on it)
c> Direct to the griddle or grill on low at first , then higher to
brown.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking
j h j h is offline

Haven't found that my GF grill steams meats, but I preheat it until the
light goes off before putting meat in the grill. And having any excess
fat drain off is a plus compared to skillet frying.

Better to freeze raw than precooked patties, but defrost just before
cooking. Better flavor and texture. jh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 10:58:00 -0800 (PST), phaeton
> > wrote:
>
>> I know that hamburgers aren't fine dining, but sometimes I just want
>> one. Not a fast-food burger, either, a real one. There are a couple
>> of places here in town that will serve a decent burger, but due to
>> scheduling, time (and sometimes money) it's not always an option.
>> Meanwhile, I have a George Foreman grill sitting at home that I've
>> never used.
>>
>> I could stack up a bunch of raw hamburger patties on waxed paper in a
>> container in the fridge, and fry one when I want one. Problem is,
>> i'll have to commit to eating burgers for every meal to avoid waste.
>> I don't mind eating burgers that much, but it's not very healthy.
>>
>> So, in lieu of that, would it be best to:
>>
>> 1) make a bunch of raw patties and freeze them. Pull one out when I
>> want one and put it straight on the grill- no thawing, just go from
>> frozen to cooked. I know that there are pre-frozen patties for this
>> use available in the supermarket, but by doing this myself I hope to
>> have something that is a better grade of beef and is less processed.
>>
>> 2) fry a bunch of patties and freeze them in a cooked state. Pull one
>> out when I want one and microwave it. This is the quickest
>> preparation, but will the taste and texture suffer more?
>>
>> What do you suppose the shelf lives in the freezer would be for the
>> two options?
>>
>> Sorry for the dumb questions.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> -J

> I just freeze the ground beef in meal-sized portions and when I want
> to make the burgers I thaw out the chunk in the microwave and then
> dump it into the pan in patty shapes. It doesn't matter if it's still
> a bit frozen in the middle - the heat of the grill will thaw AND cook
> it.

I wuit buying ground beef, hamburger from anyone ut the butcher who
grinds his own.
Pink Slime is not something I want in my meat or the other stuff they
now put in all meat from most Retailers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
>,
phaeton > wrote:

I'd make the patties and freeze them raw.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller;
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 23:10:36 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article
> >,
> phaeton > wrote:
>
> I'd make the patties and freeze them raw.

i'm usually cooking for one and that's what i do. it takes a little
foresight to take one out of the freezer the night before to defrost in the
refrigerator, but even this grasshopper can handle that.

cooking them beforehand and zapping seems like it would be a mistake.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:47:52 -0500:

>> In article
>>
>> .com>, phaeton > wrote:
>>
>> I'd make the patties and freeze them raw.

> i'm usually cooking for one and that's what i do. it takes a
> little foresight to take one out of the freezer the night
> before to defrost in the refrigerator, but even this
> grasshopper can handle that.

> cooking them beforehand and zapping seems like it would be a
> mistake.

You don't really have to wait hours for ground meat to defrost in the
fridge. 30 seconds per serving in the microwave will get the process
started. You can run cool water over the sealed meat tho' that's better
for shrimps and other fish.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> blake wrote on Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:47:52 -0500:
>
>>> In article
>>>
>>> .com>, phaeton > wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd make the patties and freeze them raw.

>> i'm usually cooking for one and that's what i do. it takes a
>> little foresight to take one out of the freezer the night
>> before to defrost in the refrigerator, but even this
>> grasshopper can handle that.

>> cooking them beforehand and zapping seems like it would be a
>> mistake.

> You don't really have to wait hours for ground meat to defrost in the
> fridge. 30 seconds per serving in the microwave will get the process
> started. You can run cool water over the sealed meat tho' that's
> better for shrimps and other fish.

I'm fortunate enough to have one with auto-defrost. Works a treat. Before
I had that though I'd throw a frozen burger in the pan and it would come out
tasty but not very appealing cosmetically.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:52:02 -0500, James Silverton wrote:

> blake wrote on Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:47:52 -0500:
>
>>> In article
>>>
>>> .com>, phaeton > wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd make the patties and freeze them raw.

>> i'm usually cooking for one and that's what i do. it takes a
>> little foresight to take one out of the freezer the night
>> before to defrost in the refrigerator, but even this
>> grasshopper can handle that.

>> cooking them beforehand and zapping seems like it would be a
>> mistake.

> You don't really have to wait hours for ground meat to defrost in the
> fridge. 30 seconds per serving in the microwave will get the process
> started. You can run cool water over the sealed meat tho' that's better
> for shrimps and other fish.

i know it can be done, but i've not done it.

your pal,
blake