Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sea salt fine grind

Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.

Thank you in advance ...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 6, 12:03 pm, " > wrote:
> Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
> using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
> with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.

A tv chef this morning put sugar into her food processor to make it
finer grain. Perhaps the same would work for sea salt.

What does salt have to do with fried rice? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 1:20*pm, aem > wrote:

> What does salt have to do with fried rice? * * -aem

I don't know what the standard recipe for fried rice calls for, but I
use soy sauce very lightly just enough to give it flavor and a streak
of color, and salt it to taste. Any other ideas?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> On Feb 6, 1:20 pm, aem > wrote:
> >
> > What does salt have to do with fried rice? -aem
> >

> I don't know what the standard recipe for fried rice calls for, but I
> use soy sauce very lightly just enough to give it flavor and a streak
> of color, and salt it to taste. Any other ideas?

Yeah. Just use more soy sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
> using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
> with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
>
> Thank you in advance ...

Mortar and pestle.

How much is a pound of fine-grain salt these days?
Not more than 50 cents, right?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
> using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
> with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
>
> Thank you in advance ...

Why not use regular salt for your fried rice? I seriously doubt you will
taste any difference between regular table salt and finely ground sea
salt in your fried rcie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> In article
> >,
> " > wrote:
>
>> Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind
>> without using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making
>> fried rice with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
>>
>> Thank you in advance ...

> Why not use regular salt for your fried rice? I seriously doubt you
> will taste any difference between regular table salt and finely
> ground sea salt in your fried rcie.

Yup...and only fools buy "sea salt" anyways...in fact the term "sea salt" is
ridiculous as *all* salt is "sea salt", it's one of those silly terms a la'
"shrimp scampi".

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
m...
| Stan Horwitz wrote:
|
| > In article
| > >,
| > " > wrote:
| >
| >> Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind
| >> without using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making
| >> fried rice with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
| >>
| >> Thank you in advance ...
| >
| > Why not use regular salt for your fried rice? I seriously doubt you
| > will taste any difference between regular table salt and finely
| > ground sea salt in your fried rcie.
|

| Yup...and only fools buy "sea salt" anyways...in fact the term "sea salt" is
| ridiculous as *all* salt is "sea salt", it's one of those silly terms a la'
| "shrimp scampi".

Yeah. You'd better send an email out to Mayo Clinic correcting their
website. It's www.mayoclinic.com and just give them your credentials
and ask them to correct the article.:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142

"Sea salt is produced through evaporation of seawater..."
"Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits..."

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:

> | > Why not use regular salt for your fried rice? I seriously doubt you
> | > will taste any difference between regular table salt and finely
> | > ground sea salt in your fried rcie.
> |

> | Yup...and only fools buy "sea salt" anyways...in fact the term "sea salt" is
> | ridiculous as *all* salt is "sea salt", it's one of those silly terms a la'
> | "shrimp scampi".
>
> Yeah. You'd better send an email out to Mayo Clinic correcting their
> website. It's www.mayoclinic.com and just give them your credentials
> and ask them to correct the article.:
> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142
>
> "Sea salt is produced through evaporation of seawater..."
> "Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits..."

There was a little more to that article. It said that sea salt is less
refined and has trace elements. It also said that table salt has
additives to prevent clumping. It also often has iodine added. FWIW, in
Canada, all table salt is iodized.

If you have salt water tropical fish you cannot used iodized salt. The
iodine will kill them.

It should be noted that the salt deposits that are mined are from
ancient oceans that dried up. It will seem that, since all ocean water
has basically the same elements dissolved in them, that salt deposits
would have those same elements in them. Some people can taste the
iodine in table salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 2:47*pm, Stan Horwitz > wrote:

> Why not use regular salt for your fried rice? I seriously doubt you will
> taste any difference between regular table salt and finely ground sea
> salt in your fried rice.

I read on the internet that the processing methods of the table salt
(mined salt) strips away the ingredients that balance the effect of
sodium on your body, whereas they are present in the sea salt. The
author states that even though the amount of those balancing
ingredients are very small, they have a measurable effect on your
body, and further suggests to switch sea salt for table salt for a
week if in doubt. So, this is the second day and the second meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 3:33*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> " wrote:
>
> > Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
> > using a grinder, which I don't have. *I just tried making fried rice
> > with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.

> > Thank you in advance ...

> Mortar and pestle.
>
> How much is a pound of fine-grain salt these days?
> Not more than 50 cents, right?

The 1.5 pound containers cost about $2, as opposed to 39 cents for a
2# container of regular. I use very fine ground on my table:
http://www.diamondcrystalsalt.com/Cu...-Nut-Salt.aspx

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
> using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
> with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
>
> Thank you in advance ...

Use dark soy sauce. It's mostly salt.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> wrote:
>>
>> Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
>> using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
>> with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.

I really don't see the point to sea salt for fried rice... but no salt
will dissolve in rice... and you don't need a salt grinder...
dissolve sea salt in water and then add the sea salt brine... probably
should have cooked the rice in water salted with sea salt.

>Use dark soy sauce. It's mostly salt.

Actually soy sauce is mostly water. But since soy sauce does contain
substantial salt I wouldn't add any salt to fried rice until after
adding the soy sauce and tasting, and then if it needed more salt I'd
I add a bit of msg.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
| "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
| >
| > wrote:
| >>
| >> Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
| >> using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
| >> with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
|
| I really don't see the point to sea salt for fried rice... but no salt
| will dissolve in rice... and you don't need a salt grinder...
| dissolve sea salt in water and then add the sea salt brine... probably
| should have cooked the rice in water salted with sea salt.
|
| >Use dark soy sauce. It's mostly salt.
|
| Actually soy sauce is mostly water. But since soy sauce does contain
| substantial salt I wouldn't add any salt to fried rice until after
| adding the soy sauce and tasting, and then if it needed more salt I'd
| I add a bit of msg.

Poison your acquaintances and destroy your friends. Nothing like
good ole MSG to spark a lively conversation at wakes, funerals,
and other obsequies. Invite your favorite allergist or bring a fresh
bottle of Benadryl. Enjoy.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message ...

| > wrote in message
| > Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
| > using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
| > with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
| >
| > Thank you in advance ...
|
| Use dark soy sauce. It's mostly salt.

Speaking of which have you tried the new Tabasco Soy Sauce?
Wow and wow! Great flavor and quite a kick behind it, simply
perfect for Bloody Marys.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> without
> |
> | I really don't see the point to sea salt for fried rice... but no salt
> | will dissolve in rice... and you don't need a salt grinder...
> | dissolve sea salt in water and then add the sea salt brine... probably
> | should have cooked the rice in water salted with sea salt.
> |
> | >Use dark soy sauce. It's mostly salt.
> |
> | Actually soy sauce is mostly water. But since soy sauce does contain
> | substantial salt I wouldn't add any salt to fried rice until after
> | adding the soy sauce and tasting, and then if it needed more salt I'd
> | I add a bit of msg.
> |

> Poison your acquaintances and destroy your friends. Nothing like
> good ole MSG to spark a lively conversation at wakes, funerals,
> and other obsequies. Invite your favorite allergist or bring a fresh
> bottle of Benadryl. Enjoy.
>
> pavane

Not everyone has an MSG sensitivity. I'm pretty sure I ate food containing
MSG all the time as a kid, well before anyone decided it was a bad thing.
My mother used Adolph's powdered "meat tenderizer" which surely contained
MSG with no ill affects. (Of course now it isn't made with MSG, but I
wonder when all these food sensitivities and allergies cropped up? Never
heard a thing about MSG or peanut allergies in the 50's and 60's.)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 21:13:01 -0500, pavane wrote:

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message

>| I really don't see the point to sea salt for fried rice... but no salt
>| will dissolve in rice... and you don't need a salt grinder...
>| dissolve sea salt in water and then add the sea salt brine... probably
>| should have cooked the rice in water salted with sea salt.
>|
>|>Use dark soy sauce. It's mostly salt.
>|
>| Actually soy sauce is mostly water. But since soy sauce does contain
>| substantial salt I wouldn't add any salt to fried rice until after
>| adding the soy sauce and tasting, and then if it needed more salt I'd
>| I add a bit of msg.
>|

> Poison your acquaintances and destroy your friends. Nothing like
> good ole MSG to spark a lively conversation at wakes, funerals,
> and other obsequies. Invite your favorite allergist or bring a fresh
> bottle of Benadryl. Enjoy.
>
> pavane

oh for god's sake. genuine msg allergies are actually pretty rare. from
Journal of Nutrition. 2000;130:1058S-1062S:

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) has a long history of use in foods as a flavor
enhancer. In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration has
classified MSG as generally recognized as safe (GRAS). Nevertheless, there
is an ongoing debate exists concerning whether MSG causes any of the
alleged reactions. A complex of symptoms after ingestion of a Chinese meal
was first described in 1968. MSG was suggested to trigger these symptoms,
which were referred to collectively as Chinese Restaurant Syndrome.
Numerous reports, most of them anecdotal, were published after the original
observation. Since then, clinical studies have been performed by many
groups, with varying degrees of rigor in experimental design ranging from
uncontrolled open challenges to double-blind, placebo controlled (DBPC)
studies. Challenges in subjects who reported adverse reactions to MSG have
included relatively few subjects and have failed to show significant
reactions to MSG. Results of surveys and of clinical challenges with MSG in
the general population reveal no evidence of untoward effects. We recently
conducted a multicenter DBPC challenge study in 130 subjects (the largest
to date) to analyze the response of subjects who report symptoms from
ingesting MSG. The results suggest that large doses of MSG given without
food may elicit more symptoms than a placebo in individuals who believe
that they react adversely to MSG. However, the frequency of the responses
was low and the responses reported were inconsistent and were not
reproducible. The responses were not observed when MSG was given with food.

<http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/130/4/1058S>

if you want to poison people, more efficacious methods exist.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.saltworks.us/shop/product.asp?idProduct=63

> Cost Plus World Market also has a similar house brand from Spain.
>
> -sw

i thought a lot of the appeal of sea salt was from the texture. from your
site:

La Baleine is a naturally evaporated sea salt from France. These crystals
crunch satisfyingly between your teeth and dissolves quickly. It is
available in "gros" (coarse for grinding) or "fin" (fine for shaking out of
a shaker).

i would think this disappears with a fine grind.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<williammaw wrote
Stan Horwitz wrote:

>> Why not use regular salt for your fried rice? I seriously doubt you will
>> taste any difference between regular table salt and finely ground sea
>> salt in your fried rice.

> I read on the internet that the processing methods of the table salt
> (mined salt) strips away the ingredients that balance the effect of
> sodium on your body, whereas they are present in the sea salt. The
> author states that even though the amount of those balancing
> ingredients are very small, they have a measurable effect on your
> body, and further suggests to switch sea salt for table salt for a
> week if in doubt. So, this is the second day and the second meal.

Grin, William you can find anything on the internet. That doesn't mean it's
true. You'd actually get more of those trace elements by eating a wider
variety of foods. The 'feel better after a week' catch is a placebo effect.
If you 'believe it's true' then you'll convince yourself it's doing
something for you.

I don't have anything against sea salt. I use it in some things here when
the grain size and texture differences make it preferrable. Like, I often
make breadsticks and pretzels. Sea salt makes a nice salty addition to the
exterior with the larger granules just 'right' whereas regular table salt is
too finely ground. It's easier to find the larger granules in sea salt types
than anything else at least locally, so I use that.

If grinding it down a bit and using it to cook with makes you happy, then
enjoy it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" wrote
> "brooklyn1" wrote

> | Actually soy sauce is mostly water. But since soy sauce does contain
> | substantial salt I wouldn't add any salt to fried rice until after
> | adding the soy sauce and tasting, and then if it needed more salt I'd
> | I add a bit of msg.

> Poison your acquaintances and destroy your friends. Nothing like
> good ole MSG to spark a lively conversation at wakes, funerals,
> and other obsequies. Invite your favorite allergist or bring a fresh
> bottle of Benadryl. Enjoy.

You must be MSG sensitive eh? Sheldon and I aren't. He's right that a pinch
of MSG can work wonders. It also due to it's natural flavor shift, tends to
make it easy to use less salt in a dish. Yes, it has sodium but at a
smaller percentage than table salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
> using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
> with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
>
> Thank you in advance ...

I've used a mortar and pestle to do this sometimes.
I have a marble one in the pantry. I also use it to grind spice seeds
such as celery seed.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 12:03:31 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
> > Is there anyway to make the coarse sea salt into a finer grind without
> > using a grinder, which I don't have. I just tried making fried rice
> > with sea salt but it does not seem to dissolve well.
> >
> > Thank you in advance ...

> Buy a fine grind sea salt. I buy this:

http://www.saltworks.us/shop/product.asp?idProduct=63

> Cost Plus World Market also has a similar house brand from Spain.
>
> -sw

I just buy Morton Sea Salt from the grocery store. It's right next to
the regular salt and is already fine granulated.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> You must be MSG sensitive eh? Sheldon and I aren't. He's right that a
> pinch of MSG can work wonders. It also due to it's natural flavor
> shift, tends to make it easy to use less salt in a dish. Yes, it has
> sodium but at a smaller percentage than table salt.

I must be MSG sensitive too. That stuff does nasty things to me. Many
years ago I was working with a crew of guys who all loved Chinese food,
so we used to go to a local Chinese restaurant once or twice a week. We
discovered another one nearby that had a Thursday night special, a combo
plate for $4.25. There was a race to get back to our facility and a line
up of 4 guys desperate to use the toilet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> You must be MSG sensitive eh? Sheldon and I aren't. He's right that a
>> pinch of MSG can work wonders. It also due to it's natural flavor shift,
>> tends to make it easy to use less salt in a dish. Yes, it has sodium but
>> at a smaller percentage than table salt.

> I must be MSG sensitive too. That stuff does nasty things to me. Many
> years ago I was working with a crew of guys who all loved Chinese food, so
> we used to go to a local Chinese restaurant once or twice a week. We
> discovered another one nearby that had a Thursday night special, a combo
> plate for $4.25. There was a race to get back to our facility and a line
> up of 4 guys desperate to use the toilet.

A one time meal? Seems more like food poisoning there! Anyways, my
impression was MSG sensitivity causes headaches which can grow to migranes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message ...
| "Dave Smith" wrote
| > cshenk wrote:
|
| >> You must be MSG sensitive eh? Sheldon and I aren't. He's right that a
| >> pinch of MSG can work wonders. It also due to it's natural flavor shift,
| >> tends to make it easy to use less salt in a dish. Yes, it has sodium but
| >> at a smaller percentage than table salt.
|
| > I must be MSG sensitive too. That stuff does nasty things to me. Many
| > years ago I was working with a crew of guys who all loved Chinese food, so
| > we used to go to a local Chinese restaurant once or twice a week. We
| > discovered another one nearby that had a Thursday night special, a combo
| > plate for $4.25. There was a race to get back to our facility and a line
| > up of 4 guys desperate to use the toilet.
|
| A one time meal? Seems more like food poisoning there! Anyways, my
| impression was MSG sensitivity causes headaches which can grow to migranes?

Migraines, shortness of breath, chest tightness, many many things:
http://www.evitamins.com/healthnotes...tentID=1238005

"The symptoms of MSG sensitivity have commonly been described as headache,
flushing, tingling, weakness, and stomachache. After eating meals prepared with
MSG, people with MSG sensitivity may have migraine headache, visual disturbance,
nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, tightness of the chest, skin rash, or
sensitivity to light, noise, or smells."

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "cshenk" > wrote in message

> shift,
> but
> |
> | > I must be MSG sensitive too. That stuff does nasty things to me. Many
> | > years ago I was working with a crew of guys who all loved Chinese
> food, so
> | > we used to go to a local Chinese restaurant once or twice a week. We
> | > discovered another one nearby that had a Thursday night special, a
> combo
> | > plate for $4.25. There was a race to get back to our facility and a
> line
> | > up of 4 guys desperate to use the toilet.
> |
> | A one time meal? Seems more like food poisoning there! Anyways, my
> | impression was MSG sensitivity causes headaches which can grow to
> migranes?
>
> Migraines, shortness of breath, chest tightness, many many things:
> http://www.evitamins.com/healthnotes...tentID=1238005
>
> "The symptoms of MSG sensitivity have commonly been described as headache,
> flushing, tingling, weakness, and stomachache. After eating meals prepared
> with
> MSG, people with MSG sensitivity may have migraine headache, visual
> disturbance,
> nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, tightness of the chest, skin rash,
> or
> sensitivity to light, noise, or smells."

Huh if I could even find some I would at least give it a try!!!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .

| oh for god's sake. genuine msg allergies are actually pretty rare. from
| Journal of Nutrition. 2000;130:1058S-1062S:
|
| Monosodium glutamate (MSG) has a long history of use in foods as a flavor
| enhancer. In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration has
| classified MSG as generally recognized as safe (GRAS). Nevertheless, there
| is an ongoing debate exists concerning whether MSG causes any of the
| alleged reactions. A complex of symptoms after ingestion of a Chinese meal
| was first described in 1968. MSG was suggested to trigger these symptoms,
| which were referred to collectively as Chinese Restaurant Syndrome.
| Numerous reports, most of them anecdotal, were published after the original
| observation. Since then, clinical studies have been performed by many
| groups, with varying degrees of rigor in experimental design ranging from
| uncontrolled open challenges to double-blind, placebo controlled (DBPC)
| studies. Challenges in subjects who reported adverse reactions to MSG have
| included relatively few subjects and have failed to show significant
| reactions to MSG. Results of surveys and of clinical challenges with MSG in
| the general population reveal no evidence of untoward effects. We recently
| conducted a multicenter DBPC challenge study in 130 subjects (the largest
| to date) to analyze the response of subjects who report symptoms from
| ingesting MSG. The results suggest that large doses of MSG given without
| food may elicit more symptoms than a placebo in individuals who believe
| that they react adversely to MSG. However, the frequency of the responses
| was low and the responses reported were inconsistent and were not
| reproducible. The responses were not observed when MSG was given with food.
|
| <http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/130/4/1058S>
|
| if you want to poison people, more efficacious methods exist.
|
| your pal,
| blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message ...

| "pavane" > wrote in message
| >
| > "cshenk" > wrote in message
| > | "Dave Smith" wrote
| > |
| > shift,
| > but
| > |
| > food, so
| > combo
| > line
| > |
| > | A one time meal? Seems more like food poisoning there! Anyways, my
| > | impression was MSG sensitivity causes headaches which can grow to
| > migranes?
| >
| > Migraines, shortness of breath, chest tightness, many many things:
| > http://www.evitamins.com/healthnotes...tentID=1238005
| >
| > "The symptoms of MSG sensitivity have commonly been described as headache,
| > flushing, tingling, weakness, and stomachache. After eating meals prepared
| > with
| > MSG, people with MSG sensitivity may have migraine headache, visual
| > disturbance,
| > nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, tightness of the chest, skin rash,
| > or
| > sensitivity to light, noise, or smells."
|
| Huh if I could even find some I would at least give it a try!!!

You should be able to find some at any Oriental food store. Its common
Japanese name is Aji-no-moto, from its largest packer, but it can also be
called Accent, particularly in the US, and a few less polite terms. It's not
really a high worth seeking out as the headache and nausea are extremely
common symptoms.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote on Sun, 7 Feb 2010 15:38:29 -0500:
> You should be able to find some at any Oriental food store.
> Its common Japanese name is Aji-no-moto, from its largest
> packer, but it can also be called Accent, particularly in the
> US, and a few less polite terms. It's not really a high worth
> seeking out as the headache and nausea are extremely common
> symptoms.

I use MSG quite liberally, especially since I must eat fat-free cheese,
and I have never noticed any ill effects.

According to Health Canada,
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit..._qa-qr-eng.php

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is the sodium salt of the naturally occurring
amino acid, glutamic acid which makes up 10 to 25 % of all food protein,
from both animal and vegetable sources. In addition to being an
ingredient intentionally added to foods, glutamate occurs as a natural
part of proteins, including vegetable and animal proteins. These
proteins, when broken down (i.e.: by cooking) release free glutamate and
are themselves used as ingredients in various prepared meat products,
soups, broths and gravy mixes.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" wrote

> You should be able to find some at any Oriental food store. Its common
> Japanese name is Aji-no-moto, from its largest packer, but it can also be
> called Accent, particularly in the US, and a few less polite terms. It's
> not
> really a high worth seeking out as the headache and nausea are extremely
> common symptoms.

Np Pavine, they are not 'extremely common symptoms'. They are rare. Else
it wouldnt be on the market at all. *You* just happen to be sensitive to it
is all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> A one time meal? Seems more like food poisoning there! Anyways, my
> impression was MSG sensitivity causes headaches which can grow to migranes?

That's what I used to think caused my headaches.
I'd eat at a Chinese restaurant, then maybe an hour
later I'd get a splitting headache. It wasn't until
I was over 40 that I discovered it was tofu that gave
me those headaches. One tablespoon of tofu is enough
to give me a mild headache. More than that give me a
big one.

Beans alone can do that too, but I have to eat maybe
half a pound of Chinese long beans to get a headache.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote
> pavane wrote

>> You should be able to find some at any Oriental food store.
>> Its common Japanese name is Aji-no-moto, from its largest
>> packer, but it can also be called Accent, particularly in the
>> US, and a few less polite terms. It's not really a high worth
>> seeking out as the headache and nausea are extremely common
>> symptoms.

> I use MSG quite liberally, especially since I must eat fat-free cheese,
> and I have never noticed any ill effects.
>
> According to Health Canada,
> http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit..._qa-qr-eng.php
>
> Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is the sodium salt of the naturally occurring
> amino acid, glutamic acid which makes up 10 to 25 % of all food protein,

(snip)

Grin, yup. I do know some folks are sensitive to higher concentrations of
it, but it's the vast minority although the odds go up a bit for some ethnic
groups. If Pavine wishes to believe that all 4 of them at one restraunt
were MSG intolerant, no amount of facts will talk him out of it.

Lets face it, we have a guy here grinding up sea salt for fried rice because
it's 'healthier' and he believes it yet he's eating fried rice....

Grin, oh well!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> A one time meal? Seems more like food poisoning there! Anyways, my
>> impression was MSG sensitivity causes headaches which can grow to
>> migranes?

> That's what I used to think caused my headaches.
> I'd eat at a Chinese restaurant, then maybe an hour
> later I'd get a splitting headache. It wasn't until
> I was over 40 that I discovered it was tofu that gave
> me those headaches. One tablespoon of tofu is enough
> to give me a mild headache. More than that give me a
> big one.

Oh! Warn me if you eat here ever (grin).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote on Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:40:40 -0500:

> "James Silverton" wrote
>> pavane wrote

>>> You should be able to find some at any Oriental food store.
>>> Its common Japanese name is Aji-no-moto, from its largest
>>> packer, but it can also be called Accent, particularly in
>>> the US, and a few less polite terms. It's not really a high
>>> worth seeking out as the headache and nausea are extremely
>>> common symptoms.

>> I use MSG quite liberally, especially since I must eat
>> fat-free cheese, and I have never noticed any ill effects.
>>
>> According to Health Canada,
>> http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit..._qa-qr-eng.php
>>
>> Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is the sodium salt of the
>> naturally occurring amino acid, glutamic acid which makes up 10 to 25
>> % of all food protein,

> (snip)

> Grin, yup. I do know some folks are sensitive to higher
> concentrations of it, but it's the vast minority although the odds go
> up a bit for some ethnic groups. If Pavine wishes to believe that all
> 4 of them at one restraunt were MSG
> intolerant, no amount of facts will talk him out of it.

> Lets face it, we have a guy here grinding up sea salt for
> fried rice because it's 'healthier' and he believes it yet
> he's eating fried rice....

Did you notice in the Health Canada reference that glutamate is released
from proteins by cooking. I wonder if any of the slow cooking
enthusiasts are "MSG-intolerant"? You know but do they that MSG does not
exist in solution but only glutamate ions?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland