Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Who Else Still Has Car-Hops?

I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. Superdawg is pretty famous in this
part of the world. I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
of their health insurance paid for by the company. They have 96
stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does that but does
anyone else still do it? Is/was this done anywhere other than the
states?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg

Just curious,

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message

> I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
> Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. Superdawg is pretty famous in this
> part of the world. I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
> of their health insurance paid for by the company. They have 96
> stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
> that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does that but does
> anyone else still do it? Is/was this done anywhere other than the
> states?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg
>
> Just curious,
>
> Lou

Like you said, Sonic. Some Steak and Shakes still have car hops.
A couple of years ago, an A & W Rootbeer shop on the beach had 'em and a
local place, "Dogs and Sudz" has car hops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
> Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. Superdawg is pretty famous in this
> part of the world. I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
> of their health insurance paid for by the company. They have 96
> stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
> that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does that but does
> anyone else still do it? Is/was this done anywhere other than the
> states?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg
>
> Just curious,
>
> Lou

Dog and Suds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 20:16:28 -0500, "Kelvin" >
> wrote:
>
>>Like you said, Sonic. Some Steak and Shakes still have car hops.
>>A couple of years ago, an A & W Rootbeer shop on the beach had 'em and a
>>local place, "Dogs and Sudz" has car hops.

> Man, you just triggered some happy memories. When my father was
> stationed at the Armed Forces Staff College in Norfolk, VA, I was a
> senior in high school and took up surfing. Since the surf isn't so
> great at Virginia Beach, we used to drive down to Nags Head NC. They
> had a Dog and Sudz. Haven't thought of that in years.
>
> And I used to love the A&W rootbeer stands back in the day when they
> served the rootbeer in chilled heavy mugs.

OK, you made me think back. The place I mentioned "Dogs and Sudz" used to
be a "Dog and Sudz" but changed the name, and became independent many years
ago. Is the Dog and Sudz chain still alive, I wonder?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
They have 96
> stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the
> tray
> that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does that but does
> anyone else still do it? Is/was this done anywhere other than the
> states?
>
> Lou

I didn't see carhops until I came to the US and haven't seen them in
years. Maybe people don't like to roll their car windows down
anymore - too hot in summer, too cold in winter? It was fun, though,
to see them in little short skirts and on roller skates.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 8:03*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
> Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. *Superdawg is pretty famous in this
> part of the world. *I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
> of their health insurance paid for by the company. *They have 96
> stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
> that clips to the car window. *I know Sonic still does that but does
> anyone else still do it? *Is/was this done anywhere other than the
> states? *
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg
>
> Just curious,
>
> Lou *

The Chick Inn, Ypsilanti, MI
http://www.yhf.org/sites/501_Holmes_Chick_Inn.html

I've never been there, although I once lived within a mile or so of
it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The A+W in Farmington, MI still has car hops, and they still put the
root beer in heavy mugs that have been chilled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 04:29:27 -0500, "Kelvin" >
wrote:

>"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 20:16:28 -0500, "Kelvin" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Like you said, Sonic. Some Steak and Shakes still have car hops.
>>>A couple of years ago, an A & W Rootbeer shop on the beach had 'em and a
>>>local place, "Dogs and Sudz" has car hops.

>> Man, you just triggered some happy memories. When my father was
>> stationed at the Armed Forces Staff College in Norfolk, VA, I was a
>> senior in high school and took up surfing. Since the surf isn't so
>> great at Virginia Beach, we used to drive down to Nags Head NC. They
>> had a Dog and Sudz. Haven't thought of that in years.
>>
>> And I used to love the A&W rootbeer stands back in the day when they
>> served the rootbeer in chilled heavy mugs.

>OK, you made me think back. The place I mentioned "Dogs and Sudz" used to
>be a "Dog and Sudz" but changed the name, and became independent many years
>ago. Is the Dog and Sudz chain still alive, I wonder?

According to google it still is, but it's suds. Sudz is a dog
groomer. I had no idea suds was still around.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 20:17:32 -0500, lil abner > wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
>> Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. Superdawg is pretty famous in this
>> part of the world. I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
>> of their health insurance paid for by the company. They have 96
>> stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
>> that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does that but does
>> anyone else still do it? Is/was this done anywhere other than the
>> states?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg
>>
>> Just curious,
>>
>> Lou

>Dog and Suds.

I didn't know they were still around. According to wiki there's 16 of
them.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 20:42:46 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
>> Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. Superdawg is pretty famous in this
>> part of the world. I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
>> of their health insurance paid for by the company. They have 96
>> stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
>> that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does that but does
>> anyone else still do it? Is/was this done anywhere other than the
>> states?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg

>A locally owned place down the way from me had them, complete with roller
>skates, but they went under last fall.

Did they wear short little plaid skirts?

Lou <----dom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 20:58:53 -0500, "bolivar" >
wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
>> Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. Superdawg is pretty famous in this
>> part of the world. I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
>> of their health insurance paid for by the company. They have 96
>> stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
>> that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does that but does
>> anyone else still do it? Is/was this done anywhere other than the
>> states?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg
>>
>> Just curious,
>>
>> Lou

>Doumar's in Norfolk, VA. We used to see who had the most extensive
>collection of the ID numbers the carhops put under your windshield wiper
>when I was in HS in the 50's.
>
>Still stop by when I can when I'm down that way. Still good. Still has the
>old waffle cone making machine out on the sidewalk in front, and still make
>the waffle cones on it. A neat thing to watch.
>
>Boli

Cool.. Those cones are soooo good when they're freshly made like
that.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 21:03:16 -0500, "bolivar" >
wrote:

>"bolivar" > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> Doumar's in Norfolk, VA. We used to see who had the most extensive
>> collection of the ID numbers the carhops put under your windshield wiper
>> when I was in HS in the 50's.
>>
>> Still stop by when I can when I'm down that way. Still good. Still has
>> the old waffle cone making machine out on the sidewalk in front, and still
>> make the waffle cones on it. A neat thing to watch.
>>
>> Boli

>Following up to my own post. I forgot to add the URL.
>
>http://www.doumars.com/

Looks like a fun place to get fat. Thanks.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 06:05:41 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Feb 1, 8:03*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
>> Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. *Superdawg is pretty famous in this
>> part of the world. *I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
>> of their health insurance paid for by the company. *They have 96
>> stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
>> that clips to the car window. *I know Sonic still does that but does
>> anyone else still do it? *Is/was this done anywhere other than the
>> states? *
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg
>>
>> Just curious,
>>
>> Lou *

>The Chick Inn, Ypsilanti, MI
>http://www.yhf.org/sites/501_Holmes_Chick_Inn.html
>
>I've never been there, although I once lived within a mile or so of
>it.

I'm surprised how many of these places are still around.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 08:47:56 -0500, "Dora" > wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>They have 96
>> stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the
>> tray
>> that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does that but does
>> anyone else still do it? Is/was this done anywhere other than the
>> states?
>>
>> Lou

>I didn't see carhops until I came to the US and haven't seen them in
>years. Maybe people don't like to roll their car windows down
>anymore - too hot in summer, too cold in winter? It was fun, though,
>to see them in little short skirts and on roller skates.

I think those skirts are why my dad took us there.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 21:13:37 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
>> Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. Superdawg is pretty famous in this
>> part of the world. I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
>> of their health insurance paid for by the company. They have 96
>> stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
>> that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does that but does
>> anyone else still do it?

>I don't know how widespread this chain is, but there are still
>Stewarts with car hop service. I stopped at one last summer.
>Too bad those nice frosty glass mugs are no more.

LOL. When I was a kid the trip wasn't complete unless one of us
spilled one of those big ass mugs.

>A place down the shore has car hop service, but it's not a
>chain. http://circusdrivein.com/ They were featured on Diners/etc
>with Guy Fieri one year.

Forget Guy the creep I just want to see the car-hops. That's a big
menu for a drive-in.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 1, 5:03*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
> Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. *Superdawg is pretty famous in this
> part of the world. *I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
> of their health insurance paid for by the company. *They have 96
> stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
> that clips to the car window. *I know Sonic still does that but does
> anyone else still do it? *Is/was this done anywhere other than the
> states? *
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg
>
> Just curious,
>
> Lou *

We have one here that has, hands down, the best burgers in town.
Always busy and always really good.
check out the menu.

http://www.boomersdrivein.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 7:03*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
> Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. *Superdawg is pretty famous in this
> part of the world. *I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
> of their health insurance paid for by the company. *They have 96
> stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
> that clips to the car window. *I know Sonic still does that but does
> anyone else still do it? *Is/was this done anywhere other than the
> states? *
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg
>
> Just curious,
>
> Lou *

A & W Root Beer used to do that - are there any left?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 20:42:46 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> > wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:
>>> I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
>>> Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. Superdawg is pretty famous in
>>> this part of the world. I was surprised to hear all the employees
>>> get 100 of their health insurance paid for by the company. They
>>> have 96 stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out
>>> on the tray that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does
>>> that but does anyone else still do it? Is/was this done anywhere
>>> other than the states?
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg

>> A locally owned place down the way from me had them, complete with
>> roller skates, but they went under last fall.

> Did they wear short little plaid skirts?

Short, yes, I don't remember plaid though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 20:42:46 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> > wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:
>>> I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
>>> Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. Superdawg is pretty famous in
>>> this part of the world. I was surprised to hear all the employees
>>> get 100 of their health insurance paid for by the company. They
>>> have 96 stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out
>>> on the tray that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does
>>> that but does anyone else still do it? Is/was this done anywhere
>>> other than the states?
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg

>> A locally owned place down the way from me had them, complete with
>> roller skates, but they went under last fall.

> Did they wear short little plaid skirts?

I got curious as to whether there were any others around here and the first
hit on "carhop drive-in" was the place I mentioned, Guido's--turns out he
didn't go out of business, he moved to better digs (and good for him--his
old place was kind of a dump). Has a facebook page with lots of pictures
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Manche...t/149302429950.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

> Lou Decruss wrote:
> >
> > Did they wear short little plaid skirts?

> Short, yes, I don't remember plaid though.

I think he's thinking about Catholic schoolgirl
uniforms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> "J. Clarke" wrote:
>>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:
>>>
>>> Did they wear short little plaid skirts?

>> Short, yes, I don't remember plaid though.

> I think he's thinking about Catholic schoolgirl
> uniforms.

I figured as much--for those you have to go to the mall--this is a big
Catholic area. Although most of them change before going to the mall.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:

> >> Short, yes, I don't remember plaid though.

> > I think he's thinking about Catholic schoolgirl
> > uniforms.

> I figured as much--for those you have to go to the mall--this is a big
> Catholic area. Although most of them change before going to the mall.

The good ones don't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> "J. Clarke" wrote:
>>
>> Mark Thorson wrote:

>>> I think he's thinking about Catholic schoolgirl
>>> uniforms.

>> I figured as much--for those you have to go to the mall--this is a
>> big Catholic area. Although most of them change before going to the
>> mall.

> The good ones don't.

The good ones who wear Catholic schoolgirl uniforms at the mall are not
Catholic schoolgirls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 16:22:48 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 20:42:46 -0500, "J. Clarke"
>> > wrote:

>>> A locally owned place down the way from me had them, complete with
>>> roller skates, but they went under last fall.

>> Did they wear short little plaid skirts?

>I got curious as to whether there were any others around here and the first
>hit on "carhop drive-in" was the place I mentioned, Guido's--turns out he
>didn't go out of business, he moved to better digs (and good for him--his
>old place was kind of a dump). Has a facebook page with lots of pictures
>http://www.facebook.com/pages/Manche...t/149302429950.

Much better than short little skirts!

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 18:54:27 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>Mark Thorson wrote:

>>> I figured as much--for those you have to go to the mall--this is a
>>> big Catholic area. Although most of them change before going to the
>>> mall.

>> The good ones don't.

>The good ones who wear Catholic schoolgirl uniforms at the mall are not
>Catholic schoolgirls.

Looks like I did a good job or degrading this thread.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> On Feb 1, 7:03*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> > I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
> > Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. *Superdawg is pretty famous in this
> > part of the world. *I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
> > of their health insurance paid for by the company. *They have 96
> > stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
> > that clips to the car window. *I know Sonic still does that but does
> > anyone else still do it? *Is/was this done anywhere other than the
> > states? *
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg
> >
> > Just curious,
> >
> > Lou *

> A & W Root Beer used to do that - are there any left?
>
> N.

A&W is now part of the same conglomerate as John John Silvers, and here
in StL, we have several a&w/ljs combo stores, no car hop, just drive
through windows.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 2, 9:00*pm, jt august > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *Nancy2 > wrote:
> > On Feb 1, 7:03*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> > > I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
> > > Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. *Superdawg is pretty famous in this
> > > part of the world. *I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
> > > of their health insurance paid for by the company. *They have 96
> > > stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
> > > that clips to the car window. *I know Sonic still does that but does
> > > anyone else still do it? *Is/was this done anywhere other than the
> > > states? *

> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg

> > > Just curious,

> > > Lou *

> > A & W Root Beer used to do that - are there any left?

> > N.

> A&W is now part of the same conglomerate as John John Silvers, and here
> in StL, we have several a&w/ljs combo stores, no car hop, just drive
> through windows.

Does Chuck-a-Burger still have car hops?

> jt

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 2, 10:34*pm, Food Snob® > wrote:
> On Feb 2, 9:00*pm, jt august > wrote:
>

> > In article
> > >,

> > *Nancy2 > wrote:

> > > A & W Root Beer used to do that - are there any left?

> > > N.

> > A&W is now part of the same conglomerate as John John Silvers, and here
> > in StL, we have several a&w/ljs combo stores, no car hop, just drive
> > through windows.

> Does Chuck-a-Burger still have car hops?

I don't think Chuck-a-Burger still exists.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 3, 5:43*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Feb 2, 10:34*pm, Food Snob® > wrote:
>

> > On Feb 2, 9:00*pm, jt august > wrote:

> > > In article

> > > A&W is now part of the same conglomerate as John John Silvers, and here
> > > in StL, we have several a&w/ljs combo stores, no car hop, just drive
> > > through windows.

> > Does Chuck-a-Burger still have car hops?

> I don't think Chuck-a-Burger still exists.

The one in Crestwood closed years ago, but the one on St. Charles Rock
Road is still there.
http://www.chuckaburger.com/
I went to their website, but it didn't address curb service.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 21:13:37 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>> I don't know how widespread this chain is, but there are still
>> Stewarts with car hop service. I stopped at one last summer.
>> Too bad those nice frosty glass mugs are no more.

> LOL. When I was a kid the trip wasn't complete unless one of us
> spilled one of those big ass mugs.

(laugh) To be honest, eating in the car is a little overrated.
Ever drive off with the tray still clipped on the window?

>> A place down the shore has car hop service, but it's not a
>> chain. http://circusdrivein.com/ They were featured on Diners/etc
>> with Guy Fieri one year.

> Forget Guy the creep I just want to see the car-hops. That's a big
> menu for a drive-in.

The food's pretty good! I've only been there once, despite the
fact that I lived pretty close to the place for a couple of years.
They're known for their soft shell crab sandwiches. As far as
car-hop watching, it's only blocks from the beach if one was looking
for a view. Much less clothing. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:03:04 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
>Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. Superdawg is pretty famous in this
>part of the world. I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
>of their health insurance paid for by the company. They have 96
>stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
>that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does that but does
>anyone else still do it? Is/was this done anywhere other than the
>states?
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg
>
>Just curious,
>
>Lou

A restaurant chain called "White Spot" in British Columbia Canada
still has a few locations offering carhop service though the huge
majority of their outlets offer dine-in only. I worked for this
outfit as a carhop weekends and summers all through high school- a
great place to work in those days (1960's). Pay was pretty close to
minimum wage but with diligent and attentive customer service tips
would usually double the hourly rate. Managers were invariably nice
guys, most of the staff were young and upbeat. I had a lot of fun
working there, made some friendships that endure to this day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 07:59:25 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 21:13:37 -0500, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:

>>> I don't know how widespread this chain is, but there are still
>>> Stewarts with car hop service. I stopped at one last summer.
>>> Too bad those nice frosty glass mugs are no more.

>> LOL. When I was a kid the trip wasn't complete unless one of us
>> spilled one of those big ass mugs.

>(laugh) To be honest, eating in the car is a little overrated.

I do it maybe once a year.

>Ever drive off with the tray still clipped on the window?

I'm not sure but I have driven away with the speaker attached at a
drive-in theater. I broke the wire but I did see someone bend the
pole and scratch the hell out of his car.

>>> A place down the shore has car hop service, but it's not a
>>> chain. http://circusdrivein.com/ They were featured on Diners/etc
>>> with Guy Fieri one year.

>> Forget Guy the creep I just want to see the car-hops. That's a big
>> menu for a drive-in.

>The food's pretty good! I've only been there once, despite the
>fact that I lived pretty close to the place for a couple of years.
>They're known for their soft shell crab sandwiches. As far as
>car-hop watching, it's only blocks from the beach if one was looking
>for a view. Much less clothing. Heh.

OK. I'll meet you at the beach then!

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:56:11 -0800, wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:03:04 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>

>>I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
>>Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. Superdawg is pretty famous in this
>>part of the world. I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
>>of their health insurance paid for by the company. They have 96
>>stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
>>that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does that but does
>>anyone else still do it? Is/was this done anywhere other than the
>>states?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg

>>Just curious,
>>
>>Lou

> A restaurant chain called "White Spot" in British Columbia Canada
>still has a few locations offering carhop service though the huge
>majority of their outlets offer dine-in only. I worked for this
>outfit as a carhop weekends and summers all through high school- a
>great place to work in those days (1960's). Pay was pretty close to
>minimum wage but with diligent and attentive customer service tips
>would usually double the hourly rate. Managers were invariably nice
>guys, most of the staff were young and upbeat. I had a lot of fun
>working there, made some friendships that endure to this day.

Nice story Jimmy. It's not often you hear of someone having fun at
work. But Greg will want to know if you wore a short skirt!

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 07:59:25 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> LOL. When I was a kid the trip wasn't complete unless one of us
>>> spilled one of those big ass mugs.

>> (laugh) To be honest, eating in the car is a little overrated.

> I do it maybe once a year.

You know what, I forgot to say 'to me' ... it just seems like a fun
thing to do, then you have the soda spilling and the french fry
greasy fingers and it's nice out but it's hot in the car ... I'm not
knocking it and eating at the drive-in carhop places is actually
kind of neat.

>> Ever drive off with the tray still clipped on the window?

> I'm not sure but I have driven away with the speaker attached at a
> drive-in theater. I broke the wire but I did see someone bend the
> pole and scratch the hell out of his car.

Ha, my boyfriend drove off with the speaker clipped to the window.
Can't think why he was so distracted, really. Hmmm.

> OK. I'll meet you at the beach then!

(laugh)

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 14:01:59 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:56:11 -0800, wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:03:04 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>>

>>>I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
>>>Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. Superdawg is pretty famous in this
>>>part of the world. I was surprised to hear all the employees get 100
>>>of their health insurance paid for by the company. They have 96
>>>stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out on the tray
>>>that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does that but does
>>>anyone else still do it? Is/was this done anywhere other than the
>>>states?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg

>>>Just curious,
>>>
>>>Lou

>> A restaurant chain called "White Spot" in British Columbia Canada
>>still has a few locations offering carhop service though the huge
>>majority of their outlets offer dine-in only. I worked for this
>>outfit as a carhop weekends and summers all through high school- a
>>great place to work in those days (1960's). Pay was pretty close to
>>minimum wage but with diligent and attentive customer service tips
>>would usually double the hourly rate. Managers were invariably nice
>>guys, most of the staff were young and upbeat. I had a lot of fun
>>working there, made some friendships that endure to this day.

>Nice story Jimmy. It's not often you hear of someone having fun at
>work. But Greg will want to know if you wore a short skirt!
>
>Lou

Nah, we carhops were all males, they wouldn't even let us wear
short pants in the summer let alone skirts. The carhop uniform pants
were made of some kind of dense, hard-wearing material. Great
insulation in the winter, like a Turkish bath in the summer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:56:11 -0800, wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:03:04 -0600, Lou Decruss
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I just saw a clip on the news about the new Superdawg that opened
>>> Thursday in NW suburb of Chicago. Superdawg is pretty famous in
>>> this part of the world. I was surprised to hear all the employees
>>> get 100 of their health insurance paid for by the company. They
>>> have 96 stalls with the speaker/mic thingie and the food comes out
>>> on the tray that clips to the car window. I know Sonic still does
>>> that but does anyone else still do it? Is/was this done anywhere
>>> other than the states?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdawg

>>> Just curious,
>>>
>>> Lou

>> A restaurant chain called "White Spot" in British Columbia Canada
>> still has a few locations offering carhop service though the huge
>> majority of their outlets offer dine-in only. I worked for this
>> outfit as a carhop weekends and summers all through high school- a
>> great place to work in those days (1960's). Pay was pretty close to
>> minimum wage but with diligent and attentive customer service tips
>> would usually double the hourly rate. Managers were invariably nice
>> guys, most of the staff were young and upbeat. I had a lot of fun
>> working there, made some friendships that endure to this day.

> Nice story Jimmy. It's not often you hear of someone having fun at
> work. But Greg will want to know if you wore a short skirt!

!!!!!

;-P

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 15:49:48 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 07:59:25 -0500, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:

>>> (laugh) To be honest, eating in the car is a little overrated.

>> I do it maybe once a year.

>You know what, I forgot to say 'to me' ...

I knew what you were saying.

>it just seems like a fun
>thing to do, then you have the soda spilling and the french fry
>greasy fingers and it's nice out but it's hot in the car ... I'm not
>knocking it and eating at the drive-in carhop places is actually
>kind of neat.

It was always fun. When I started to drive we'd get a bunch of cars
together and hang out and be annoying teenagers. Management didn't
seem to mind we were all smoking pot because we'd get the munchies and
order more food.

>>> Ever drive off with the tray still clipped on the window?

>> I'm not sure but I have driven away with the speaker attached at a
>> drive-in theater. I broke the wire but I did see someone bend the
>> pole and scratch the hell out of his car.

>Ha, my boyfriend drove off with the speaker clipped to the window.
>Can't think why he was so distracted, really. Hmmm.

Did he have his pants zipped up at least?

>> OK. I'll meet you at the beach then!

>(laugh)
>
>nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Food Snob® > wrote:

> Does Chuck-a-Burger still have car hops?
> >
> > jt

> --Bryan

The original doesn't. Haven't been to their only other location,
recently opened in St. Charles. The original was supposed to close, but
stayed open. No car hops, no cruisin nights (that also moved to St. C).

jt

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hops and Beer [email protected] Preserving 28 22-09-2006 04:02 PM
IPA Wet hops at The Toronado ipa.papai Beer 2 07-08-2006 05:17 PM
New York Times on Hops [email protected] Beer 1 31-03-2006 10:10 PM
Hops? Tess General Cooking 11 06-03-2005 01:21 AM
I just had a great beer treat at a local Hops restaurant that used Santium Hops from Germany... Miker Beer 0 02-10-2003 10:32 PM