Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I have melted a plastic food container in mt Electric Oven (help please)

Hi all,
I have a 9 month old "Leisure" double electric oven.
I was using the top smaller oven and thought the only element was at the
top, and put a ready meal plastic tray on the bottom of the oven thinking
it would be cooler than being on the metal rack in the middle of the oven.
Result was it stuck to the bottom, I have tried scrapping it while it is hot
but it does not shift it very well.
Has anyone any advice please?
Would oven cleaning spray touch it?
Mick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Mick." > wrote:

> Has anyone any advice please?
> Would oven cleaning spray touch it?
> Mick.

Contact the manufacturer for its recommendation.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller; Pirohy, January 25, 2010
The Pirohy Princess is in the Kitchen
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 29, 3:48*pm, "Mick." > wrote:
> Hi all,
> * * *I have a 9 month old "Leisure" double electric oven.
> I * * was using the top smaller oven and thought the only element was at the
> top, and put a ready meal plastic tray on the bottom *of the oven thinking
> it would be cooler than being on the metal rack in the middle of the oven..
> Result was it stuck to the bottom, I have tried scrapping it while it is hot
> but it does not shift it very well.
> Has anyone any advice please?
> Would oven cleaning spray touch it?
> Mick.

wait until it is thoroughly cold and try peeling it off........

so sorry, that's no fun.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Mick." > wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a 9 month old "Leisure" double electric oven.
> I was using the top smaller oven and thought the only element was at the
> top, and put a ready meal plastic tray on the bottom of the oven thinking
> it would be cooler than being on the metal rack in the middle of the oven.
> Result was it stuck to the bottom, I have tried scrapping it while it is hot
> but it does not shift it very well.
> Has anyone any advice please?
> Would oven cleaning spray touch it?
> Mick.

Call the manufacturer for a recommendation on how to deal with this
problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Mick. wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a 9 month old "Leisure" double electric oven.
> I was using the top smaller oven and thought the only element was at the
> top, and put a ready meal plastic tray on the bottom of the oven thinking
> it would be cooler than being on the metal rack in the middle of the oven.
> Result was it stuck to the bottom, I have tried scrapping it while it is hot
> but it does not shift it very well.
> Has anyone any advice please?
> Would oven cleaning spray touch it?
> Mick.

Uhm, I don't think using a spray-on oven-cleaner is a good idea? Those
tend to be very caustic, I think, and the potential (?) reaction between
the caustic oven cleaner and the plastic might be very unwelcomed (not
that I know)??? Perhaps it's akin to mixing bleach with ammonia? As
has been suggested, contact the manufacturer of the oven and ask, and/or
check their website and its related FAQs? As a suggestion for the
future, instead of storing plastic containers in the oven(s), store
things like cast iron pans and other non-flammable items that won't melt
without truly intense heat.

Sky, who's learned the hard way too often, too

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:48:52 -0000, Mick. wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a 9 month old "Leisure" double electric oven.
> I was using the top smaller oven and thought the only element was at the
> top, and put a ready meal plastic tray on the bottom of the oven thinking
> it would be cooler than being on the metal rack in the middle of the oven.
> Result was it stuck to the bottom, I have tried scrapping it while it is hot
> but it does not shift it very well.
> Has anyone any advice please?

I think you have much bigger problems than a measly plastic
container melted to your oven floor.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Mick. wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I have a 9 month old "Leisure" double electric oven.
>> I was using the top smaller oven and thought the only element was at
>> the
>> top, and put a ready meal plastic tray on the bottom of the oven
>> thinking
>> it would be cooler than being on the metal rack in the middle of the
>> oven.
>> Result was it stuck to the bottom, I have tried scrapping it while it is
>> hot
>> but it does not shift it very well.
>> Has anyone any advice please?
>> Would oven cleaning spray touch it?
>> Mick.

> Uhm, I don't think using a spray-on oven-cleaner is a good idea? Those
> tend to be very caustic, I think, and the potential (?) reaction between
> the caustic oven cleaner and the plastic might be very unwelcomed (not
> that I know)??? Perhaps it's akin to mixing bleach with ammonia? As
> has been suggested, contact the manufacturer of the oven and ask, and/or
> check their website and its related FAQs? As a suggestion for the
> future, instead of storing plastic containers in the oven(s), store
> things like cast iron pans and other non-flammable items that won't melt
> without truly intense heat.
>
> Sky, who's learned the hard way too often, too

Where did the OP say they were "storing" plastic containers in the oven? I
read the post three times, I didn't get the notion they were "storing"
anything. I gathered it was used like a drip pan or something similar.

I agree with you and Barb, check with the oven manufacturer before
attempting to clean up the melted mess.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:48:52 -0000, Mick. wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I have a 9 month old "Leisure" double electric oven.
>> I was using the top smaller oven and thought the only element was at
>> the
>> top, and put a ready meal plastic tray on the bottom of the oven
>> thinking
>> it would be cooler than being on the metal rack in the middle of the
>> oven.
>> Result was it stuck to the bottom, I have tried scrapping it while it is
>> hot
>> but it does not shift it very well.
>> Has anyone any advice please?

> I think you have much bigger problems than a measly plastic
> container melted to your oven floor.
>
> -sw

LOL! I suspect you're right. Aside from burnt plastic I also smell a Troll

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Sky" > wrote in message
>> Mick. wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have a 9 month old "Leisure" double electric oven.
>>> I was using the top smaller oven and thought the only element
>>> was at the
>>> top, and put a ready meal plastic tray on the bottom of the oven
>>> thinking
>>> it would be cooler than being on the metal rack in the middle of the
>>> oven.
>>> Result was it stuck to the bottom, I have tried scrapping it while
>>> it is hot
>>> but it does not shift it very well.
>>> Has anyone any advice please?
>>> Would oven cleaning spray touch it?
>>> Mick.

>> Uhm, I don't think using a spray-on oven-cleaner is a good idea?
>> Those tend to be very caustic, I think, and the potential (?)
>> reaction between the caustic oven cleaner and the plastic might be
>> very unwelcomed (not that I know)??? Perhaps it's akin to mixing
>> bleach with ammonia? As has been suggested, contact the
>> manufacturer of the oven and ask, and/or check their website and its
>> related FAQs? As a suggestion for the future, instead of storing
>> plastic containers in the oven(s), store things like cast iron pans
>> and other non-flammable items that won't melt without truly intense
>> heat.
>>
>> Sky, who's learned the hard way too often, too
>>

> Where did the OP say they were "storing" plastic containers in the
> oven? I read the post three times, I didn't get the notion they were
> "storing" anything. I gathered it was used like a drip pan or
> something similar.
>
> I agree with you and Barb, check with the oven manufacturer before
> attempting to clean up the melted mess.

If it's the "Ready Meal" brand then it's basically an MRE on a plastic dish.
Comes with a chemical heater. Don't know what plastic they use but a call
to the manufacturer should yield an answer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 3:48*pm, "Mick." > wrote: (Snipped)
> Has anyone any advice please?

I administer maintenance contracts for the USMC, and have experienced
some quite good home appliance repair with selected contractors over
the years. As advised here, I would first call the manufacturer for
cleaning/removal information, then I'd call a local appliance repair
person to come clean out for me. I say call someone else to come
clean out only because of my various arthritic concerns, as cleaning
on my own could be too painful.

Funny story on my own oven burn problem.... I used to work with a
Master Guns WM that knew she could get over on me by simply stating
something along the line of "Miss Jeanine, you are the only one we can
trust to do this well, so...." Just as I was to leave for the day
before a pre-planned, between Christmas and New Year's all-hands
feast, she plopped two huge hams on my desk to be dressed and roasted
that night. I was already perparing something else for the feast that
was to take up all my oven space for most of the evening. After
midnight I dressed and placed the damnhams into the oven, only on 250,
to heat-blend in their coating of JamLady's Apricot Pineapple, with my
brown sugar and mustard glaze, and then went to bed expecting merely a
four hour snooze. The smoke alarm woke me up an hour before my alarm
would have. The pans I had used for the hams were the "tin foil" sort
one buys at the grocers. Both of the pans had somehow developed wee
holes in their bottoms, letting the ham/glaze juices spill out and
burn over the entire oven bottom.

I called in my favorite, best appliance tech to come that day to clean
out the oven for me, suspecting that the bottom plate really had to be
removed to clean, He came while I was at work, he stood by while
using the oven's very high temp lock-clean process, after which he did
remove the bottom liner so as to properly clean off all of the burn
dust from it, as well as from below the liner where some had drifted
to. Everything was put back to right with the oven back together
correctly, and all was good. Hah! I came home to an all but
invisible soot covering everything in my kitchen and dining room, but
for the foot prints he left behind. His shop vac apparently had
leaked a good deal of the soot out that he'd so carefully vacuumed up,
and he was too hurried on to a next appointment to do anything but
leave me a tell-note that he'd be back by after I got home to then
help me with whole house cleaning.
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 07:38:03 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> I think you have much bigger problems than a measly plastic
>> container melted to your oven floor.

> LOL! I suspect you're right. Aside from burnt plastic I also smell a Troll

I don't think it's a troll. Just somebody who needs a few more
marbles in their bag.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, wrote on Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:34:10 GMT:

>> Has anyone any advice please?

> You might want to also ask on rec.food.equipment; there used
> to be a few appliance professionals over there who may have
> seen similar problems and know what works and what doesn't.

> Good luck.

Perhaps I have missed something but wouldn't physically removing as much
plastic as possible and then using self-cleaning do what is needed.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 08:41:12 -0500, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> l, wrote on Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:34:10 GMT:
>
>>> Has anyone any advice please?

>> You might want to also ask on rec.food.equipment; there used
>> to be a few appliance professionals over there who may have
>> seen similar problems and know what works and what doesn't.

>> Good luck.

>Perhaps I have missed something but wouldn't physically removing as much
>plastic as possible and then using self-cleaning do what is needed.

'Zactly.