Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitute recipe for packaged Thai Peanut Sauce mix?

It gripes me to pay for two measly envelopes of this stuff, which are
probably laden with preservatives too. Plus, my market doesn't stock
it on a regular basis. Do any of you enterprising cooks have a
homemade substitute? Can anyone develop something as good or better?
Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:10:03 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>It gripes me to pay for two measly envelopes of this stuff, which are
>probably laden with preservatives too. Plus, my market doesn't stock
>it on a regular basis. Do any of you enterprising cooks have a
>homemade substitute? Can anyone develop something as good or better?
>Thanks.

The only Thai peanut anything I've bought is a dressing. It's pretty
good stuff and great on lettuce wraps.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 8:25*pm, sf > wrote:

> > wrote:

> The only Thai peanut anything I've bought is a dressing. *It's pretty
> good stuff and great on lettuce wraps.

Yeah, yeah, we need a recipe for THAT TOO. Hey, it just occurs to me
that I own a couple of Thai cookbooks - I'll investigate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2010 20:10, Kalmia wrote:
> It gripes me to pay for two measly envelopes of this stuff, which are
> probably laden with preservatives too. Plus, my market doesn't stock
> it on a regular basis. Do any of you enterprising cooks have a
> homemade substitute? Can anyone develop something as good or better?
> Thanks.

Its easy to make and much better than those packages. I just wing it.
Here is a good framework similar to what I make. Just tweak as you like:

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisna...eanutsauce.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:10:03 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>It gripes me to pay for two measly envelopes of this stuff, which are
>probably laden with preservatives too. Plus, my market doesn't stock
>it on a regular basis. Do any of you enterprising cooks have a
>homemade substitute? Can anyone develop something as good or better?
>Thanks.

Here's one I have, it's delicious.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Peanut Dipping Sauce

1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 garlic clove, finely minced
3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
freshly ground pepper to taste

In a blender, add all ingredients, blend until smooth.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>> It gripes me to pay for two measly envelopes of this stuff, which are
>> probably laden with preservatives too. Plus, my market doesn't stock
>> it on a regular basis. Do any of you enterprising cooks have a
>> homemade substitute? Can anyone develop something as good or better?
>> Thanks.
>>

> I love this recipe, but of course you can make the sauce alone. Easy,
> cheap and incredibly good!
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Chicken Sticks with Peanut Sauce

Oooooo YUM! (or in honor of Pandora, "gnam gnam"!) I'm saving this one
and will be making it SOON!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2010 21:34, koko wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:10:03 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> It gripes me to pay for two measly envelopes of this stuff, which are
>> probably laden with preservatives too. Plus, my market doesn't stock
>> it on a regular basis. Do any of you enterprising cooks have a
>> homemade substitute? Can anyone develop something as good or better?
>> Thanks.
>>

> Here's one I have, it's delicious.
>

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Peanut Dipping Sauce
>
> 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
> 1 garlic clove, finely minced
> 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
> 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
> 1 teaspoon sesame oil
> 1 teaspoon brown sugar
> 1/3 cup water
> 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
> freshly ground pepper to taste
>
> In a blender, add all ingredients, blend until smooth.
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **
>
> koko
> --
>
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 01/17/10

And you could easily swing this to a "Thai flavor" by adding fish sauce
and coconut milk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> It gripes me to pay for two measly envelopes of this stuff, which are
> probably laden with preservatives too. Plus, my market doesn't stock
> it on a regular basis. Do any of you enterprising cooks have a
> homemade substitute? Can anyone develop something as good or better?
> Thanks.

I use peanut butter, water or chicken broth, soy sauce, chile-garlic
sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and sugar. If it does not
taste hot enough, I add more chile-garlic sauce. Usually, it needs more
vinegar to wake it up.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> It gripes me to pay for two measly envelopes of this stuff, which are
> probably laden with preservatives too. Plus, my market doesn't stock
> it on a regular basis. Do any of you enterprising cooks have a
> homemade substitute? Can anyone develop something as good or better?

Couldn't get any easier... simply seach <thai peanut sauce recipe>...
pick, choose, and refuse, then doctor to suit... couldn't get any
easier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>> It gripes me to pay for two measly envelopes of this stuff, which are
>> probably laden with preservatives too. Plus, my market doesn't stock
>> it on a regular basis. Do any of you enterprising cooks have a
>> homemade substitute? Can anyone develop something as good or better?
>> Thanks.

> I use peanut butter, water or chicken broth, soy sauce, chile-garlic
> sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and sugar. If it does not
> taste hot enough, I add more chile-garlic sauce. Usually, it needs
> more vinegar to wake it up.
>

> Becca

Here's the one I use. It's from Real Thai. I normally double it at least
in order to use up a whole can of coconut milk and freeze some.

1/2 Cup coconut milk
2 Tablespoons Red Curry Paste (I use Madhur Jaffrey's recipe and always have
some on hand frozen, but you can buy it in an Asian store)
1/2 Cup chunky-style natural peanut butter (I recommend Teddie, which is not
only excellent but cheaper than the kind that's commonly sold in the produce
section.)
1/2 Cup chicken stock
3 Tablespoons palm or brown sugar
2 Tablespons tamarind liquid or fresh lime juice
1 Tablespoon fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt

Warm the coconut milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stirring
occasionally, heat until it reaches a gentle boil and tiny beads of oil
glisten on the surface, about 5 minutes. Add the curry paste and stir
occasionally until it dissolves into the milk and releases its fragrance,
about 3 minutes. Add the peanut butter, chicken stock, and sugar and stir
and cook gently until the sauce is smooth, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat
and season with tamarind/lime, fish sauce, and salt. Taste and adjust for a
pleasing balance of sweet, sour, and salty.