Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best By Date?.....

An Australian friend sent me this tonight......Very helpful web
site.....Thought I would pass it on....

http://www.stilltasty.com/

Remember when the con was "Use by date"

They must have got caught on that one and it became "Best before" Now we
find it is meant for the retailer and not the buyer. I knew we were being
conned and I know of one woman who throws everything out as soon as that
date is reached.

Remember when we had enough sense to use our nose or our taste buds to
determine when something was past its use by date?

We are being conned all the way from Global warming to the pharmaceutical
companies, politicians and etc.
..

How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to the web
site below. This site lists all kind of foods and how to keep them fresh
longer as well as when to get rid of them. If you have a question click on
the particular picture, and a whole list of stuff appears...............WHAT
A GREAT SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bigbazza wrote:
> An Australian friend sent me this tonight......Very helpful web
> site.....Thought I would pass it on....
>
> http://www.stilltasty.com/
>

> Remember when the con was "Use by date"
>
> They must have got caught on that one and it became "Best before" Now we
> find it is meant for the retailer and not the buyer. I knew we were
> being conned and I know of one woman who throws everything out as soon
> as that date is reached.
>
> Remember when we had enough sense to use our nose or our taste buds to
> determine when something was past its use by date?
>
> We are being conned all the way from Global warming to the
> pharmaceutical companies, politicians and etc.

I know of a woman who occasionally goes thru the fridge and throws
out everything that's even *close* to the date.

(they are calling it "Global Climate Change" now because "warming"
is too specific)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bigbazza" > wrote:

> How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
> I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to

<grin> I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and have never
had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff when I buy it, I
know hold old pretty much everything is. Both ketchup and mustard in
the cupboard have been open for at least 3 months‹we don't use much of
either. The only mustard I refrigerate is some excellent Duesseldorf
mustard from a friend. It keeps a long time there, too ‹ more than a
year, easily.

I don't refrigerate soy sauce, either. :-) Or Tabasco. Or
Worcestershire. Oddly, I do refrigerate homemade hot sauce ‹ I have a
couple bottles from Jorge that have been in there since February 2004.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message
> An Australian friend sent me this tonight......Very helpful web
> site.....Thought I would pass it on....
>
> http://www.stilltasty.com/
>

> Remember when the con was "Use by date"
>
> They must have got caught on that one and it became "Best before" Now we
> find it is meant for the retailer and not the buyer. I knew we were being
> conned and I know of one woman who throws everything out as soon as that
> date is reached.
>
> Remember when we had enough sense to use our nose or our taste buds to
> determine when something was past its use by date?
>
> We are being conned all the way from Global warming to the pharmaceutical
> companies, politicians and etc.
> .
>

> How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
> I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to the
> web site below. This site lists all kind of foods and how to keep them
> fresh longer as well as when to get rid of them. If you have a question
> click on the particular picture, and a whole list of stuff
> appears...............WHAT A GREAT SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

My wife and MIL believe that as long as it has been in the refrigerator you
can disregard the dates.

"Oh, it's okay. It's been in the refrigerator." Even if you can't tell
what it is by looking at it. "Here, taste this and tell me if it's
spoiled."

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Bigbazza" > wrote:
>
>> How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
>> I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to

> <grin> I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and have never
> had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff when I buy it, I
> know hold old pretty much everything is. Both ketchup and mustard in
> the cupboard have been open for at least 3 months > either. The only
> mustard I refrigerate is some excellent Duesseldorf
> mustard from a friend. It keeps a long time there, too < more than a
> year, easily.
>
> I don't refrigerate soy sauce, either. :-) Or Tabasco. Or
> Worcestershire. Oddly, I do refrigerate homemade hot sauce < I have a
> couple bottles from Jorge that have been in there since February 2004.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

I'd say that has a lot to do with where you live, too. Here in the desert
SW, the inside of a house can be a LOT warmer than someone in say, Maine.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's wrote on Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:48:41 -0600:

>> How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before
>> it goes bad? I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an
>> expert opinion, go to

> <grin> I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and
> have never had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff
> when I buy it, I know hold old pretty much everything is.
> Both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard have been open for at
> least 3 months‹we don't use much of either. The only mustard
> I refrigerate is some excellent Duesseldorf mustard from a
> friend. It keeps a long time there, too ‹ more than a year,
> easily.

> I don't refrigerate soy sauce, either. :-) Or Tabasco. Or
>Worcestershire. Oddly, I do refrigerate homemade hot sauce ‹ I have a
>couple bottles from Jorge that have been in there since February 2004.

Store-bought salsa seems to keep well unopened but, once opened, only
for a week or so in the fridge before it grows mold. It seems to freeze
quite well and defrost by nuking.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> "Bigbazza" > wrote in message
> > An Australian friend sent me this tonight......Very helpful web
> > site.....Thought I would pass it on....

http://www.stilltasty.com/

> > Remember when the con was "Use by date"
> >
> > They must have got caught on that one and it became "Best before" Now we
> > find it is meant for the retailer and not the buyer. I knew we were being
> > conned and I know of one woman who throws everything out as soon as that
> > date is reached.
> >
> > Remember when we had enough sense to use our nose or our taste buds to
> > determine when something was past its use by date?
> >
> > We are being conned all the way from Global warming to the pharmaceutical
> > companies, politicians and etc.
> > .
> >

> > How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
> > I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to the
> > web site below. This site lists all kind of foods and how to keep them
> > fresh longer as well as when to get rid of them. If you have a question
> > click on the particular picture, and a whole list of stuff
> > appears...............WHAT A GREAT SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

> My wife and MIL believe that as long as it has been in the refrigerator you
> can disregard the dates.
>
> "Oh, it's okay. It's been in the refrigerator." Even if you can't tell
> what it is by looking at it. "Here, taste this and tell me if it's
> spoiled."
>
> Steve

I dunno.. I can remember as a kid my dad picking small amounts of mold
off the bread before making breakfast. We just didn't tell mom

We just use our eyes and noses and common sense.

Scotty
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:48:41 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> "Bigbazza" > wrote:
>
>> How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
>> I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to

> <grin> I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and have never
> had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff when I buy it, I
> know hold old pretty much everything is.

i've taken to doing that, too.

>Both ketchup and mustard in
> the cupboard have been open for at least 3 months‹we don't use much of
> either. The only mustard I refrigerate is some excellent Duesseldorf
> mustard from a friend. It keeps a long time there, too ‹ more than a
> year, easily.
>
> I don't refrigerate soy sauce, either. :-) Or Tabasco. Or
> Worcestershire. Oddly, I do refrigerate homemade hot sauce ‹ I have a
> couple bottles from Jorge that have been in there since February 2004.

i usually go by what the packaging says (except for soy sauce, which i
don't refrigerate). ketchup says nothing; mustard says refrigerate, and i
do.

home-made sauces and the like i refrigerate, because i don't have the
preservatives to put in them (though the constituent ingredients might).
also, my kitchen is probably not a sterile environment.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:01:25 -0500, James Silverton wrote:

> Melba's wrote on Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:48:41 -0600:
>
>>> How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before
>>> it goes bad? I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an
>>> expert opinion, go to

>> <grin> I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and
>> have never had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff
>> when I buy it, I know hold old pretty much everything is.
>> Both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard have been open for at
>> least 3 months‹we don't use much of either. The only mustard
>> I refrigerate is some excellent Duesseldorf mustard from a
>> friend. It keeps a long time there, too ‹ more than a year,
>> easily.

>> I don't refrigerate soy sauce, either. :-) Or Tabasco. Or
>>Worcestershire. Oddly, I do refrigerate homemade hot sauce ‹ I have a
>>couple bottles from Jorge that have been in there since February 2004.

> Store-bought salsa seems to keep well unopened but, once opened, only
> for a week or so in the fridge before it grows mold. It seems to freeze
> quite well and defrost by nuking.

i should try that. i don't use much salsa (except occasionally in
omelets), and it often molds on me.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:25:34 -0600, Stu > wrote:

>The durable life date is valid only for unopened product. Once opened,
>the product should be consumed rapidly. Foods susceptible to spoilage
>should not be consumed if the “best before” date is passed. Even if a
>food shows no signs of spoilage, it can harbour pathogenic
>microorganisms that can cause foodborne illness. Foods that are not
>susceptible to spoilage can usually be consumed past their “best
>before” date; these foods may have lost some of their original flavour
>and nutritional value. Use your senses (sight, smell) and common sense
>to decide if it is appropriate to eat it. When in doubt, throw it out.

So, according to you, if my container of yogurt has a BB date of
January 23 2010, it was good yesterday, it's iffy today, and not safe
to consume tomorrow? The same applies to many other foods?
You're suggesting that I should throw out all the food in my home that
is past its BB date? Do you own a grocery store?
Your last two sentences make far more sense than the first three

Ross.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Bigbazza" > wrote:
>
>> How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
>> I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to

> <grin> I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and have never
> had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff when I buy it, I
> know hold old pretty much everything is. Both ketchup and mustard in
> the cupboard have been open for at least 3 months‹we don't use much of
> either. The only mustard I refrigerate is some excellent Duesseldorf
> mustard from a friend. It keeps a long time there, too ‹ more than a
> year, easily.
>
> I don't refrigerate soy sauce, either. :-) Or Tabasco. Or
> Worcestershire. Oddly, I do refrigerate homemade hot sauce ‹ I have a
> couple bottles from Jorge that have been in there since February 2004.

You still got that habanero sauce I sent you eons ago? You said at the
time that you just left the bottle open and it heated the whole house
that winter. Knowing that you have had a pretty cold winter this go
around I figured the habanero sauce might be in use again.

Hang on to those bottles though, I've gone out of the hot sauce business
since neither of us can eat it anymore. Someday they may be worth
something to someone. Naw! it's just food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"I am Tosk" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> "Bigbazza" > wrote in message
>> > An Australian friend sent me this tonight......Very helpful web
>> > site.....Thought I would pass it on....

http://www.stilltasty.com/

>> > Remember when the con was "Use by date"
>> >
>> > They must have got caught on that one and it became "Best before" Now
>> > we
>> > find it is meant for the retailer and not the buyer. I knew we were
>> > being
>> > conned and I know of one woman who throws everything out as soon as
>> > that
>> > date is reached.
>> >
>> > Remember when we had enough sense to use our nose or our taste buds to
>> > determine when something was past its use by date?
>> >
>> > We are being conned all the way from Global warming to the
>> > pharmaceutical
>> > companies, politicians and etc.
>> > .
>> >

>> > How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes
>> > bad?
>> > I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to
>> > the
>> > web site below. This site lists all kind of foods and how to keep them
>> > fresh longer as well as when to get rid of them. If you have a
>> > question
>> > click on the particular picture, and a whole list of stuff
>> > appears...............WHAT A GREAT SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>> >
>> > Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

>> My wife and MIL believe that as long as it has been in the refrigerator
>> you
>> can disregard the dates.
>>
>> "Oh, it's okay. It's been in the refrigerator." Even if you can't tell
>> what it is by looking at it. "Here, taste this and tell me if it's
>> spoiled."
>>
>> Steve

> I dunno.. I can remember as a kid my dad picking small amounts of mold
> off the bread before making breakfast. We just didn't tell mom
>
> We just use our eyes and noses and common sense.
>

> Scotty

LOL....I do the same, as long as it is not too extensive!....I would only
ever cook it though, as toast!... My philosophy is what the eyes do not see,
the heart will not grieve about with many foods... Provided I use common
sense though!

My late MIL used to crack an egg into a cup first and see if there were any
'specks' of blood, etc, and would throw it out unused for the smallest piece
of contamination.... So saying, it would cost her around 3-4 eggs at a time
to find one 'spotless' one.....

Many a time I was there when she would pull a leg of lamb, or a beef roast
from the fridge/ freezer and would feed it to the dogs, or else, straight
into the garbage!

I still laugh whenever I remember in her earlier days of enjoying a
'Strawberry' milk shake that had pieces of the strawberries still in pieces
big enough to chase around the near empty deep glass mugs with a 'Drinking
Straw'...Apparently she had chased and squashed this piece in the bottom of
the glass so much that she jusr sucked it up and it stuck into the end of
her straw, that she went to turn the straw upside down and suck it off the
straw.....LO and Behold....What she had been playing with in the bottom of
her glass was a once 'Big Juicy Blowfly' !!...,... She never had another
Strawberry Milk snake again in her life!!....LOL
--
Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

"Happiness is never an accident. It is the prize we get when we choose
wisely from life's great stores"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Bigbazza" > wrote:
>
>> How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
>> I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to

> <grin> I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and have never
> had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff when I buy it, I
> know hold old pretty much everything is.

And you trained me well. Yes, it's true, I never did it before (apart
from baking powder which I always date-marked). I keep my sharpie
marker in the kitchen spice drawer, and one in the "pantry". I no
longer keep stuff in the garage in the months of June-September thanks
to your advice (it gets roof-meltingly hot here in Sacto in the summer!)

> Both ketchup and mustard in
> the cupboard have been open for at least 3 months‹we don't use much of
> either. The only mustard I refrigerate is some excellent Duesseldorf
> mustard from a friend. It keeps a long time there, too ‹ more than a
> year, easily.

<pout> He never gave ME mustard! Oh wait a minute. I detest mustard!
Nevermind....

> I don't refrigerate soy sauce, either. :-) Or Tabasco. Or
> Worcestershire. Oddly, I do refrigerate homemade hot sauce ‹ I have a
> couple bottles from Jorge that have been in there since February 2004.

How long do you keep these items? Living alone, tabasco, worcester
sauce (as we call it in my fam) and soy sauce tend to hang out here for
a loooooong time.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 23, 4:38*am, "Bigbazza" > wrote:
> An Australian friend sent me this tonight......Very helpful web
> site.....Thought I would pass it on....
>
> http://www.stilltasty.com/
>
> Remember when the con was "Use by date"
>
> They must have got caught on that one and it became "Best before" Now we
> find it is meant for the retailer and not the buyer. I knew we were being
> conned and I know of one woman who throws everything out as soon as that
> date is reached.
>
> Remember when we had enough sense to use our nose or our taste buds to
> determine when something was past its use by date?
>
> We are being conned all the way from Global warming to the pharmaceutical
> companies, politicians and etc.
> .
>
> How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
> I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to the web
> site below. *This site lists all kind of foods and how to keep them fresh
> longer as well as when to get rid of them. *If you have a question click on
> the particular picture, and a whole list of stuff appears...............WHAT
> A GREAT SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

It is a good site. Great to help educate.

I think common sense and a good nose helps a lot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "Bigbazza" > wrote:
>>
>>> How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
>>> I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to

>> <grin> I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and have never
>> had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff when I buy it, I
>> know hold old pretty much everything is.

>And you trained me well. Yes, it's true, I never did it before (apart
>from baking powder which I always date-marked).

There's no point in marking those products with the date opened,
they're already marked with use-by dates. I mark non-perishables with
the date opened but only for my own information about how long it
lasts, like a a big package of salt, a giant roll of aluminum foil,
and things like a 40 pound box of laundry powder (not that there's any
value in that other than curiosity). I mean like what's the point in
marking the date on perishables, do you mark the date on a carton of
milk when you open it? And if a bottle of soy sauce says best used by
2012 and Refrigerate After Opening then one must satisfy both those
directions or neither makes sense. I refrigerate all condiments, even
before opening, refrigeration extends their use-by date and maintains
product quality longer... condiment quality does deteriorate much more
rapidly after opening when not refrigerated, that's why the
manufacturers suggest refrigeration, not so much due to spoilage. I
also keep many canned products refrigerated even though they don't
need to be, like canned tuna, I like to have cold canned tuna on hand
for when I want to eat it, room temperature canned tuna means I can't
eat it for hours after I get the urge, until it's been chilled in the
fridge. I keep a lot of canned/jarred foods in the fridge until
needed just because I want it cold when I want it, like canned fruit,
all kinds of canned fish, and all unopened condiments. All my food
fetishes are resolved by my having a second fridge in the basement.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, TammyM >
wrote:

> How long do you keep these items?
>
> TammyM

Forever and a couple days. I've never had a condiment go bad, in or out
of the fridge.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:
> There's no point in marking those products with the date opened,

Sure it does. It lets me know how long it's been in my house. And it
gives me some idea of how long it takes me to use a package, bottle, or
jar. So there. Pfftthhhhggbbttt!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" wrote

> fridge. I keep a lot of canned/jarred foods in the fridge until
> needed just because I want it cold when I want it, like canned fruit,
> all kinds of canned fish, and all unopened condiments. All my food
> fetishes are resolved by my having a second fridge in the basement.

Smile, thats quite a good idea! There are a few I'd rather have chilled.
In the winter months, when fruit gets more expensive, we use some canned
fruit in our diet. Not huge on it mind you, but we might use a can a week
between the 3 of us.

Now, I am 'fridge space limited' a bit so the idea wouldnt really have
caught my eye. I just tucked a can of peaches in there (grin).

I think I'll ask Don to mark the next laundry soap container when he opens
it so we can get a general gist of how long one lasts here. Mostly I just
get more when he reminds me it's getting low. (In every family, there is a
bit of a trade on who does what. Don hasnt had to clean a bathroom in 25
years, and I'm not sure what color the washing machine is. Works for us!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:14:29 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"brooklyn1" wrote
>
>> fridge. I keep a lot of canned/jarred foods in the fridge until
>> needed just because I want it cold when I want it, like canned fruit,
>> all kinds of canned fish, and all unopened condiments. All my food
>> fetishes are resolved by my having a second fridge in the basement.

>Smile, thats quite a good idea! There are a few I'd rather have chilled.
>In the winter months, when fruit gets more expensive, we use some canned
>fruit in our diet. Not huge on it mind you, but we might use a can a week
>between the 3 of us.
>
>Now, I am 'fridge space limited' a bit so the idea wouldnt really have
>caught my eye. I just tucked a can of peaches in there (grin).
>
>I think I'll ask Don to mark the next laundry soap container when he opens
>it so we can get a general gist of how long one lasts here. Mostly I just
>get more when he reminds me it's getting low. (In every family, there is a
>bit of a trade on who does what. Don hasnt had to clean a bathroom in 25
>years, and I'm not sure what color the washing machine is. Works for us!)

I prefer having the second refrigerator freezer to a freezer. The
unit in the basement is plain vanilla, nothing fancy and not huge but
it works and don't cost much to run. When there are things on sale
like mayo, bottled salad dressings, sardines, canned fruits I buy a
few and in the basement fridge they go. Most times I forget exactly
what's in there so when I look it's like a trip to the candy store. I
really enjoy certain canned/jarred fruit for an occasional snack;
canned purple plums, apricots, bartlett pear halves, cling alberta
peach halves, jarred kodota figs, jarred fruit salad, mandarin
oranges, canned lychees, grapefruit sections, jarred queen anne
cherries, etc., I enjoy the more oddball items... I figure if I'm
going to indulge in all that sugar it's going to be orgasmic. I may
not touch any for months and then in the dead of winter I may go on a
binge eating nothing but canned fruit for a whole weekend.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:14:29 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>"brooklyn1" wrote
>>
>>> fridge. I keep a lot of canned/jarred foods in the fridge until
>>> needed just because I want it cold when I want it, like canned fruit,
>>> all kinds of canned fish, and all unopened condiments. All my food
>>> fetishes are resolved by my having a second fridge in the basement.

>>Smile, thats quite a good idea! There are a few I'd rather have chilled.
>>In the winter months, when fruit gets more expensive, we use some canned
>>fruit in our diet. Not huge on it mind you, but we might use a can a week
>>between the 3 of us.
>>
>>Now, I am 'fridge space limited' a bit so the idea wouldnt really have
>>caught my eye. I just tucked a can of peaches in there (grin).
>>
>>I think I'll ask Don to mark the next laundry soap container when he opens
>>it so we can get a general gist of how long one lasts here. Mostly I just
>>get more when he reminds me it's getting low. (In every family, there is
>>bit of a trade on who does what. Don hasnt had to clean a bathroom in 25
>>years, and I'm not sure what color the washing machine is. Works for us!)

> I prefer having the second refrigerator freezer to a freezer. The
> unit in the basement is plain vanilla, nothing fancy and not huge but
> it works and don't cost much to run. When there are things on sale
> like mayo, bottled salad dressings, sardines, canned fruits I buy a
> few and in the basement fridge they go. Most times I forget exactly
> what's in there so when I look it's like a trip to the candy store. I
> really enjoy certain canned/jarred fruit for an occasional snack;
> canned purple plums, apricots, bartlett pear halves, cling alberta
> peach halves, jarred kodota figs, jarred fruit salad, mandarin
> oranges, canned lychees, grapefruit sections, jarred queen anne
> cherries, etc., I enjoy the more oddball items... I figure if I'm
> going to indulge in all that sugar it's going to be orgasmic. I may
> not touch any for months and then in the dead of winter I may go on a
> binge eating nothing but canned fruit for a whole weekend.

I'm thinking of the weight you must put on then with all that sugar that is
in the canned fruits...
--
Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

"Happiness is never an accident. It is the prize we get when we choose
wisely from life's great stores"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>>> fridge. I keep a lot of canned/jarred foods in the fridge until
>>> needed just because I want it cold when I want it, like canned fruit,

>>Smile, thats quite a good idea! There are a few I'd rather have chilled.
>>In the winter months, when fruit gets more expensive, we use some canned
>>fruit in our diet. Not huge on it mind you, but we might use a can a week
>>between the 3 of us.
>>
>>Now, I am 'fridge space limited' a bit so the idea wouldnt really have
>>caught my eye. I just tucked a can of peaches in there (grin).

> I prefer having the second refrigerator freezer to a freezer. The

That's ok. I'm just of a different bent and the space I have would have to
be one or the other, not really both.

> unit in the basement is plain vanilla, nothing fancy and not huge but
> it works and don't cost much to run. When there are things on sale
> like mayo, bottled salad dressings, sardines, canned fruits I buy a
> few and in the basement fridge they go. Most times I forget exactly

Perfect for your needs then!

> what's in there so when I look it's like a trip to the candy store. I
> really enjoy certain canned/jarred fruit for an occasional snack;
> canned purple plums, apricots, bartlett pear halves, cling alberta
> peach halves, jarred kodota figs, jarred fruit salad, mandarin
> oranges, canned lychees, grapefruit sections, jarred queen anne
> cherries, etc., I enjoy the more oddball items... I figure if I'm
> going to indulge in all that sugar it's going to be orgasmic. I may
> not touch any for months and then in the dead of winter I may go on a
> binge eating nothing but canned fruit for a whole weekend.

Hehe I'm with ya! Except the canned mandarins. Once you've had them fresh
off the vine at 20 per 100yen, the charm of the canned wears off.

I have an orgasmic indulgence item in the fridge now. It's a spring back to
my youth. Sweet pickled watermelon rind. You might like it if you havent
tried it. Oh and try jarred lychees as they taste better. Hard to get
those things fresh here too so I pickup a jar now and again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bigbazza" wrote

"cshenk" wrote:

>> what's in there so when I look it's like a trip to the candy store. I
>> really enjoy certain canned/jarred fruit for an occasional snack;
>> canned purple plums, apricots, bartlett pear halves, cling alberta
>> peach halves, jarred kodota figs, jarred fruit salad, mandarin
>> oranges, canned lychees, grapefruit sections, jarred queen anne
>> cherries, etc., I enjoy the more oddball items... I figure if I'm
>> going to indulge in all that sugar it's going to be orgasmic. I may
>> not touch any for months and then in the dead of winter I may go on a
>> binge eating nothing but canned fruit for a whole weekend.

> I'm thinking of the weight you must put on then with all that sugar that
> is in the canned fruits...

Naw Barry. I'm pretty sure Sheldon is whippet thin like his pooches and
while I am a tiny bit over optimal at 123lbs (5ft1) it's not anything to
worry about.

It's all a matter of sense in proportion. Like, Charlotte is old enough at
16 that she eats adult amounts and in our case, about 1 can of fruit gets
consumed between *3* of us every week or 2 in winter.

We are total gluttons for fresh fruit here, but in winter when the choices
are poor or poor and high priced, I get a few cans of the better sorts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in :

> I think I'll ask Don to mark the next laundry soap container when he
> opens it so we can get a general gist of how long one lasts here.
> Mostly I just get more when he reminds me it's getting low. (In every
> family, there is a bit of a trade on who does what. Don hasnt had to
> clean a bathroom in 25 years, and I'm not sure what color the washing
> machine is. Works for us!)

Similar for us too. I collect amd load, and start the wash, unload it into
the basket, and the SO hangs it out.

I load the dishwasher, start it up, and she unloads.

And as I do the majority of the shopping, I usually get stuff that I *think*
we might be running low on, which is why we have excess washing powder,
toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning products, food etc :-)

But hey!! We're ready and prepared for Storm Season!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 6:27*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
[snip]
> I have an orgasmic indulgence item in the fridge now. *It's a spring back to
> my youth. Sweet pickled watermelon rind. *You might like it if you havent
> tried it. *Oh and try jarred lychees as they taste better. *Hard to get
> those things fresh here too so I pickup a jar now and again.

"Pickled watermelon rind." <sigh> Ambrosia at Thanksgiving every year
during my yout'. I bought some, Roland brand, this last year to show
my daughter-units that my Sainted Mother(tm) set a great table. Took a
single piece and could barely finish it. I don't know why because it
_tasted_ the same... My palate had just "matured" enough that all that
sugar was over-powering. The daughter- and niece-units all loved the
stuff. The adults watched me and steered clear. I guess it's nice to
be a public barometer.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:59:37 -0800 (PST), The Ranger
> wrote:

>"Pickled watermelon rind." <sigh> Ambrosia at Thanksgiving every year
>during my yout'. I bought some, Roland brand, this last year to show
>my daughter-units that my Sainted Mother(tm) set a great table. Took a
>single piece and could barely finish it. I don't know why because it
>_tasted_ the same... My palate had just "matured" enough that all that
>sugar was over-powering. The daughter- and niece-units all loved the
>stuff. The adults watched me and steered clear. I guess it's nice to
>be a public barometer.
>
>The Ranger

Make your own. There are plenty of recipes out there...and you might
be able to control the sugar content a bit more.

But..it is a great side to country ham.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Except the canned mandarins. Once you've had them fresh off the vine at
> 20 per 100yen, the charm of the canned wears off.

Vine? I don't think you're talking about the same thing.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote:
>"Bigbazza" wrote
>> "brooklyn1" wrote
>>>"cshenk" wrote:

>>> what's in there so when I look it's like a trip to the candy store. I
>>> really enjoy certain canned/jarred fruit for an occasional snack;
>>> canned purple plums, apricots, bartlett pear halves, cling alberta
>>> peach halves, jarred kodota figs, jarred fruit salad, mandarin
>>> oranges, canned lychees, grapefruit sections, jarred queen anne
>>> cherries, etc., I enjoy the more oddball items... I figure if I'm
>>> going to indulge in all that sugar it's going to be orgasmic. I may
>>> not touch any for months and then in the dead of winter I may go on a
>>> binge eating nothing but canned fruit for a whole weekend.

>> I'm thinking of the weight you must put on then with all that sugar that
>> is in the canned fruits...

>Naw Barry. I'm pretty sure Sheldon is whippet thin like his pooches and
>while I am a tiny bit over optimal at 123lbs (5ft1) it's not anything to
>worry about.
>
>It's all a matter of sense in proportion. Like, Charlotte is old enough at
>16 that she eats adult amounts and in our case, about 1 can of fruit gets
>consumed between *3* of us every week or 2 in winter.
>
>We are total gluttons for fresh fruit here, but in winter when the choices
>are poor or poor and high priced, I get a few cans of the better sorts.

I did say I eat those things "occasionally" and "I may not touch any
for months". Canned fruit is no more fattening than fresh fruit,
fruit is very healthful, even canned. I eat quantities of fresh fruit
too, every day (I've eaten lots of fresh mandarin oranges, they're not
always available, and anyhow I happen to like the canned too, they're
different). I consume enormous quantities of fresh raw veggies too. I
much prefer fresh fruit but occasionally I'll eat canned fruit as a
treat, can't easily get those kinds of fruits fresh regularly anyway,
they're all very seasonal. I enjoy dried fruits too, also very
healthful. I'm not "whippet thin", I'm six foot tall, I weigh 180
pounds, and I'm strong like ox... I'm positive not many of yoose can
follow me around for even one day, I work harder on a daily basis
retired than during any other time of my life, and my occupation is
very physically demanding, I never drove a desk. No one gets fat from
eating fruit even if they eat canned fruit every day... what a
ridiculous thing to say, but obviously fat head Barry has an obese
mouth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:59:37 -0800 (PST), The Ranger
> > wrote:

>>"Pickled watermelon rind." <sigh> Ambrosia at Thanksgiving every year
>>during my yout'. I bought some, Roland brand, this last year to show
>>my daughter-units that my Sainted Mother(tm) set a great table. Took a
>>single piece and could barely finish it. I don't know why because it
>>_tasted_ the same... My palate had just "matured" enough that all that
>>sugar was over-powering. The daughter- and niece-units all loved the
>>stuff. The adults watched me and steered clear. I guess it's nice to
>>be a public barometer.

> Make your own. There are plenty of recipes out there...and you might
> be able to control the sugar content a bit more.
>
> But..it is a great side to country ham.

Canning is too much work for too little gain. Besides, I learned long ago
that the canning gahds don't shine upon those that dapple in their arcane
art. They do have a very twisted sense of humor, though...

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob wrote on Sun, 24 Jan 2010 02:11:26 -0800:

>> Except the canned mandarins. Once you've had them fresh off the vine
>> at 20 per 100yen, the charm of the canned wears off.

> Vine? I don't think you're talking about the same thing.

The mandarin *is* an orange-type fruit and probably grows on a tree but
people do talk about "tomatoes on the vine" as well. Mandarins are one
of the fruits that I prefer canned; lychees are too and, most often tho'
not always, I prefer canned pears, in sugar syrup, since it is very
difficult to get a properly ripened fresh one.

I have another liking that might stir controversy: I prefer dried figs
to fresh ones. I wonder if the same might be true for dates since I've
never had fresjh ones.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boob TinyWilly" wrote:
>cshenk wrote:
>
>> Except the canned mandarins. Once you've had them fresh off the vine at
>> 20 per 100yen, the charm of the canned wears off.

>Vine? I don't think you're talking about the same thing.
>
>Boob

Any six year old knows that "fresh off the vine" is a figure of
speech, moron.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> I have an orgasmic indulgence item in the fridge now. It's a spring back to
> my youth. Sweet pickled watermelon rind.

Do you make it yourself?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
The Ranger > wrote:
> "Pickled watermelon rind."

(snip)Took a
> single piece and could barely finish it. I don't know why because it
> _tasted_ the same... My palate had just "matured" enough that all that
> sugar was over-powering.

You've never had my watermelon pickles. . . . they've got 5 blue ribbons
behind them, including last year's Fair. Yum! I've posted the recipe
and even you could make it -- you wouldn't even have to process it if
you kept it in the fridge. It has a shelf life of eternity +4 days.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:
> Canning is too much work for too little gain. Besides, I learned long ago
> that the canning gahds don't shine upon those that dapple in their arcane
> art. They do have a very twisted sense of humor, though...
>
> The Ranger

See my reply to your other post here. You can make them and just
refrigerate them. Takes three days. Hardest part is trimming the melon.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

>> I have an orgasmic indulgence item in the fridge now. It's a spring back
>> my youth. Sweet pickled watermelon rind. You might like it if you havent

> Pickled watermelon rind." <sigh> Ambrosia at Thanksgiving every year
> during my yout'. I bought some, Roland brand, this last year to show
> my daughter-units that my Sainted Mother(tm) set a great table. Took a
> single piece and could barely finish it. I don't know why because it
> _tasted_ the same... My palate had just "matured" enough that all that
> sugar was over-powering. The daughter- and niece-units all loved the
> stuff. The adults watched me and steered clear. I guess it's nice to
> be a public barometer.

Hehe I still love'em but in small amounts. I use them the rare time we want
a 'sweet ham' as they work well in place of the pineapple so many use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> Except the canned mandarins. Once you've had them fresh off the vine at
>> 20 per 100yen, the charm of the canned wears off.

> Vine? I don't think you're talking about the same thing.

Sorry Bob, southern turn of phrase there. 'fresh off the vine' can mean
many things, including those that don't literally grow on vines.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote
> Bob wrote

>>> Except the canned mandarins. Once you've had them fresh off the vine at
>>> 20 per 100yen, the charm of the canned wears off.

>> Vine? I don't think you're talking about the same thing.

> The mandarin *is* an orange-type fruit and probably grows on a tree but
> people do talk about "tomatoes on the vine" as well. Mandarins are one of
> the fruits that I prefer canned; lychees are too and, most often tho' not
> always, I prefer canned pears, in sugar syrup, since it is very difficult
> to get a properly ripened fresh one.

Agreed. A mandarin grows pretty much on a short tree or large bush (take
your own stance on what you think it is). You probably prefer it canned
because they don't ship all that well but have a short and furious
production cycle.

> I have another liking that might stir controversy: I prefer dried figs to
> fresh ones. I wonder if the same might be true for dates since I've never
> had fresjh ones.

Not a big fan of dates really or figs. I have dried figs for some cooking
applications though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:
>>"Bigbazza" wrote

In fact, you sound alot like us in some ways. Fruit=candy.

>>> I'm thinking of the weight you must put on then with all that sugar that
>>> is in the canned fruits...

>>Naw Barry. I'm pretty sure Sheldon is whippet thin like his pooches and
>>while I am a tiny bit over optimal at 123lbs (5ft1) it's not anything to
>>worry about.

> I did say I eat those things "occasionally" and "I may not touch any
> for months". Canned fruit is no more fattening than fresh fruit,

Yes. We may touch them a bit more. I just took your suggestion and put a
can of peaches in the fridge. It didnt last long until the daugter unit
found it and went 'wow, cold peaches'.

> fruit is very healthful, even canned. I eat quantities of fresh fruit
> too, every day (I've eaten lots of fresh mandarin oranges, they're not
> always available, and anyhow I happen to like the canned too, they're
> different). I consume enormous quantities of fresh raw veggies too. I

Yup, canned mandarin almost is a different item. WE also do a lot of fresh
veggies here. So much so that I am wierded out sometimes on how little
others eat.

> treat, can't easily get those kinds of fruits fresh regularly anyway,
> they're all very seasonal. I enjoy dried fruits too, also very

Thats true. I wouldnt touch a 'fresh lychee' but the canned are ok. They
just dont ship that well.

> healthful. I'm not "whippet thin", I'm six foot tall, I weigh 180
> pounds, and I'm strong like ox... I'm positive not many of yoose can

Thats close enough to whippet thin for me ;-)

> follow me around for even one day, I work harder on a daily basis
> retired than during any other time of my life, and my occupation is
> very physically demanding, I never drove a desk. No one gets fat from
> eating fruit even if they eat canned fruit every day... what a
> ridiculous thing to say, but obviously fat head Barry has an obese
> mouth.

He's just not adding things up the same as you and I do on this one. Sadly,
I drive a desk now but it's a fun one. SQL programming at between tier 1
and 2 levels. I'm learning more but it takes time to hit tier 3 levels. To
me, if feels like being paid to work puzzles for fun.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>> I have an orgasmic indulgence item in the fridge now. It's a spring back
>> my youth. Sweet pickled watermelon rind.

> Do you make it yourself?

Naw, but i have collected a few recipes. It looks like a pretty easy one to
make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bigbazza wrote:

> An Australian friend sent me this tonight......Very helpful web
> site.....Thought I would pass it on....
>
> http://www.stilltasty.com/
>

> Remember when the con was "Use by date"
>
> They must have got caught on that one and it became "Best before"

Now
> we find it is meant for the retailer and not the buyer. I knew we
> were being conned and I know of one woman who throws everything

out
> as soon as that date is reached.
>
> Remember when we had enough sense to use our nose or our taste

buds to
> determine when something was past its use by date?
>
> We are being conned all the way from Global warming to the
> pharmaceutical companies, politicians and etc.
> .
>

> How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it

goes
> bad? I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert

opinion,
> go to the web site below. This site lists all kind of foods and

how
> to keep them fresh longer as well as when to get rid of them. If

you
> have a question click on the particular picture, and a whole list

of
> stuff appears...............WHAT A GREAT SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I made an apple and jam pie with a packeto of pasrty which was
20 days over it's declared BBD day, on a 45 days shelf life period,
and it worked wonderfully.
Maybe tomorrow I won't wake up, who knows
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosé

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> Perishables like strawberries and crab legs don't have expiration
> dates... damage/pilferage-shrinkage has nothing to do with pull dates,
> you haven't a clue what you're talking about. The codes on food
> products indicate "pull dates" for retailers/resellers only... those
> food items are still perfectly wholesome, stores sell all sorts of
> baked products with expired dates at discount... stores can and do
> sell dented cans too. Food items deteriorate in quality from the
> moment of manufacture but are still wholesome years later (quality and
> spoilage are two very different things), even discolored items only
> indicate oxidation and/or excessive exposure to light, but they're
> still perfectly okay to consume.... most folks don't even notice that
> their bottle of ketchup at home darkens over time.

When I was in my teens, I supported myself the best way I could. One
way I saved money, was to buy canned goods that had no label, because
the labels had peeled off. The store threw them in boxes and sold them
for 10 cents per can, which was a wonderful deal. You picked the cans
you wanted, but you never knew if you were getting fruit cocktail, dog
food, pork & beans or tomatoes. I learned to "read" the horizontal
lines that are on the cans and I would shake the cans next to my ear and
listen to the ingredients. Sometimes I knew it was a can of beans, only
to open the can and it was a can of tomatoes. lol I could not afford to
throw anything away, so I put salt & pepper on the tomatoes and ate
them. I loved them, so I hoped to find more of those next time around.

Becca

Use by date Alex[_17_] General Cooking 92 01-03-2017 04:45 PM
need a date look here [email protected] Barbecue 0 27-05-2006 05:22 AM
I have a date notbob General Cooking 19 24-12-2004 09:46 AM
What to BBQ on a date Dirty Harry Barbecue 19 21-05-2004 09:39 AM
release date vs date on bottle- confused Larry Wine 2 26-01-2004 03:17 AM