Old 23-01-2010, 12:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best By Date?.....

An Australian friend sent me this tonight......Very helpful web
site.....Thought I would pass it on....

http://www.stilltasty.com/

Remember when the con was "Use by date"

They must have got caught on that one and it became "Best before" Now we
find it is meant for the retailer and not the buyer. I knew we were being
conned and I know of one woman who throws everything out as soon as that
date is reached.

Remember when we had enough sense to use our nose or our taste buds to
determine when something was past its use by date?

We are being conned all the way from Global warming to the pharmaceutical
companies, politicians and etc.
..

How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to the web
site below. This site lists all kind of foods and how to keep them fresh
longer as well as when to get rid of them. If you have a question click on
the particular picture, and a whole list of stuff appears...............WHAT
A GREAT SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Old 23-01-2010, 03:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bigbazza wrote:
An Australian friend sent me this tonight......Very helpful web
site.....Thought I would pass it on....

http://www.stilltasty.com/

Remember when the con was "Use by date"

They must have got caught on that one and it became "Best before" Now we
find it is meant for the retailer and not the buyer. I knew we were
being conned and I know of one woman who throws everything out as soon
as that date is reached.

Remember when we had enough sense to use our nose or our taste buds to
determine when something was past its use by date?

We are being conned all the way from Global warming to the
pharmaceutical companies, politicians and etc.

I know of a woman who occasionally goes thru the fridge and throws
out everything that's even *close* to the date.

(they are calling it "Global Climate Change" now because "warming"
is too specific)

Bob
Old 23-01-2010, 03:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Bigbazza" wrote:

How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to

grin I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and have never
had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff when I buy it, I
know hold old pretty much everything is. Both ketchup and mustard in
the cupboard have been open for at least 3 months‹we don't use much of
either. The only mustard I refrigerate is some excellent Duesseldorf
mustard from a friend. It keeps a long time there, too ‹ more than a
year, easily.

I don't refrigerate soy sauce, either. :-) Or Tabasco. Or
Worcestershire. Oddly, I do refrigerate homemade hot sauce ‹ I have a
couple bottles from Jorge that have been in there since February 2004.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Old 23-01-2010, 03:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

.

How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to the
web site below. This site lists all kind of foods and how to keep them
fresh longer as well as when to get rid of them. If you have a question
click on the particular picture, and a whole list of stuff
appears...............WHAT A GREAT SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

My wife and MIL believe that as long as it has been in the refrigerator you
can disregard the dates.

"Oh, it's okay. It's been in the refrigerator." Even if you can't tell
what it is by looking at it. "Here, taste this and tell me if it's
spoiled."

Steve

Old 23-01-2010, 03:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
"Bigbazza" wrote:

How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to

grin I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and have never
had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff when I buy it, I
know hold old pretty much everything is. Both ketchup and mustard in
the cupboard have been open for at least 3 months either. The only
mustard I refrigerate is some excellent Duesseldorf
mustard from a friend. It keeps a long time there, too more than a
year, easily.

I don't refrigerate soy sauce, either. :-) Or Tabasco. Or
Worcestershire. Oddly, I do refrigerate homemade hot sauce I have a
couple bottles from Jorge that have been in there since February 2004.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

I'd say that has a lot to do with where you live, too. Here in the desert
SW, the inside of a house can be a LOT warmer than someone in say, Maine.

Steve

Old 23-01-2010, 04:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's wrote on Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:48:41 -0600:

How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before
it goes bad? I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an
expert opinion, go to

grin I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and
have never had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff
when I buy it, I know hold old pretty much everything is.
Both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard have been open for at
least 3 months‹we don't use much of either. The only mustard
I refrigerate is some excellent Duesseldorf mustard from a
friend. It keeps a long time there, too ‹ more than a year,
easily.

I don't refrigerate soy sauce, either. :-) Or Tabasco. Or
Worcestershire. Oddly, I do refrigerate homemade hot sauce ‹ I have a
couple bottles from Jorge that have been in there since February 2004.

Store-bought salsa seems to keep well unopened but, once opened, only
for a week or so in the fridge before it grows mold. It seems to freeze
quite well and defrost by nuking.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 23-01-2010, 04:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
says...

"Bigbazza" wrote in message
[...]

I dunno.. I can remember as a kid my dad picking small amounts of mold
off the bread before making breakfast. We just didn't tell mom

We just use our eyes and noses and common sense.

Scotty
Old 23-01-2010, 04:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:48:41 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article ,
"Bigbazza" wrote:

How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to

grin I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and have never
had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff when I buy it, I
know hold old pretty much everything is.

i've taken to doing that, too.

Both ketchup and mustard in
the cupboard have been open for at least 3 months‹we don't use much of
either. The only mustard I refrigerate is some excellent Duesseldorf
mustard from a friend. It keeps a long time there, too ‹ more than a
year, easily.

I don't refrigerate soy sauce, either. :-) Or Tabasco. Or
Worcestershire. Oddly, I do refrigerate homemade hot sauce ‹ I have a
couple bottles from Jorge that have been in there since February 2004.

i usually go by what the packaging says (except for soy sauce, which i
don't refrigerate). ketchup says nothing; mustard says refrigerate, and i
do.

home-made sauces and the like i refrigerate, because i don't have the
preservatives to put in them (though the constituent ingredients might).
also, my kitchen is probably not a sterile environment.

your pal,
blake

Old 23-01-2010, 04:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:01:25 -0500, James Silverton wrote:

[...]

i should try that. i don't use much salsa (except occasionally in
omelets), and it often molds on me.

your pal,
blake
Old 23-01-2010, 04:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:25:34 -0600, Stu wrote:

The durable life date is valid only for unopened product. Once opened,
the product should be consumed rapidly. Foods susceptible to spoilage
should not be consumed if the “best before” date is passed. Even if a
food shows no signs of spoilage, it can harbour pathogenic
microorganisms that can cause foodborne illness. Foods that are not
susceptible to spoilage can usually be consumed past their “best
before” date; these foods may have lost some of their original flavour
and nutritional value. Use your senses (sight, smell) and common sense
to decide if it is appropriate to eat it. When in doubt, throw it out.

So, according to you, if my container of yogurt has a BB date of
January 23 2010, it was good yesterday, it's iffy today, and not safe
to consume tomorrow? The same applies to many other foods?
You're suggesting that I should throw out all the food in my home that
is past its BB date? Do you own a grocery store?
Your last two sentences make far more sense than the first three

Ross.

Old 23-01-2010, 05:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
"Bigbazza" wrote:

How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to

grin I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and have never
had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff when I buy it, I
know hold old pretty much everything is. Both ketchup and mustard in
the cupboard have been open for at least 3 months‹we don't use much of
either. The only mustard I refrigerate is some excellent Duesseldorf
mustard from a friend. It keeps a long time there, too ‹ more than a
year, easily.

I don't refrigerate soy sauce, either. :-) Or Tabasco. Or
Worcestershire. Oddly, I do refrigerate homemade hot sauce ‹ I have a
couple bottles from Jorge that have been in there since February 2004.

You still got that habanero sauce I sent you eons ago? You said at the
time that you just left the bottle open and it heated the whole house
that winter. Knowing that you have had a pretty cold winter this go
around I figured the habanero sauce might be in use again.

Hang on to those bottles though, I've gone out of the hot sauce business
since neither of us can eat it anymore. Someday they may be worth
something to someone. Naw! it's just food.
Old 23-01-2010, 05:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"I am Tosk" wrote in message
says...

"Bigbazza" wrote in message
[...]

LOL....I do the same, as long as it is not too extensive!....I would only
ever cook it though, as toast!... My philosophy is what the eyes do not see,
the heart will not grieve about with many foods... Provided I use common
sense though!

My late MIL used to crack an egg into a cup first and see if there were any
'specks' of blood, etc, and would throw it out unused for the smallest piece
of contamination.... So saying, it would cost her around 3-4 eggs at a time
to find one 'spotless' one.....

Many a time I was there when she would pull a leg of lamb, or a beef roast
from the fridge/ freezer and would feed it to the dogs, or else, straight
into the garbage!

I still laugh whenever I remember in her earlier days of enjoying a
'Strawberry' milk shake that had pieces of the strawberries still in pieces
big enough to chase around the near empty deep glass mugs with a 'Drinking
Straw'...Apparently she had chased and squashed this piece in the bottom of
the glass so much that she jusr sucked it up and it stuck into the end of
her straw, that she went to turn the straw upside down and suck it off the
straw.....LO and Behold....What she had been playing with in the bottom of
her glass was a once 'Big Juicy Blowfly' !!...,... She never had another
Strawberry Milk snake again in her life!!....LOL
--
Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

"Happiness is never an accident. It is the prize we get when we choose
wisely from life's great stores"

Old 23-01-2010, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
"Bigbazza" wrote:

How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to

grin I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and have never
had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff when I buy it, I
know hold old pretty much everything is.

And you trained me well. Yes, it's true, I never did it before (apart
from baking powder which I always date-marked). I keep my sharpie
marker in the kitchen spice drawer, and one in the "pantry". I no
longer keep stuff in the garage in the months of June-September thanks
to your advice (it gets roof-meltingly hot here in Sacto in the summer!)

Both ketchup and mustard in
the cupboard have been open for at least 3 months‹we don't use much of
either. The only mustard I refrigerate is some excellent Duesseldorf
mustard from a friend. It keeps a long time there, too ‹ more than a
year, easily.

pout He never gave ME mustard! Oh wait a minute. I detest mustard!
Nevermind....

I don't refrigerate soy sauce, either. :-) Or Tabasco. Or
Worcestershire. Oddly, I do refrigerate homemade hot sauce ‹ I have a
couple bottles from Jorge that have been in there since February 2004.

How long do you keep these items? Living alone, tabasco, worcester
sauce (as we call it in my fam) and soy sauce tend to hang out here for
a loooooong time.

TammyM
Old 23-01-2010, 06:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 23, 4:38*am, "Bigbazza" wrote:
[...]

It is a good site. Great to help educate.

I think common sense and a good nose helps a lot.

Old 23-01-2010, 09:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
"Bigbazza" wrote:

How long can a bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?
I'm thinking 5 or 10 years, but if you want an expert opinion, go to

grin I keep both ketchup and mustard in the cupboard and have never
had a problem with either. Because I mark my stuff when I buy it, I
know hold old pretty much everything is.

And you trained me well. Yes, it's true, I never did it before (apart
from baking powder which I always date-marked).

There's no point in marking those products with the date opened,
they're already marked with use-by dates. I mark non-perishables with
the date opened but only for my own information about how long it
lasts, like a a big package of salt, a giant roll of aluminum foil,
and things like a 40 pound box of laundry powder (not that there's any
value in that other than curiosity). I mean like what's the point in
marking the date on perishables, do you mark the date on a carton of
milk when you open it? And if a bottle of soy sauce says best used by
2012 and Refrigerate After Opening then one must satisfy both those
directions or neither makes sense. I refrigerate all condiments, even
before opening, refrigeration extends their use-by date and maintains
product quality longer... condiment quality does deteriorate much more
rapidly after opening when not refrigerated, that's why the
manufacturers suggest refrigeration, not so much due to spoilage. I
also keep many canned products refrigerated even though they don't
need to be, like canned tuna, I like to have cold canned tuna on hand
for when I want to eat it, room temperature canned tuna means I can't
eat it for hours after I get the urge, until it's been chilled in the
fridge. I keep a lot of canned/jarred foods in the fridge until
needed just because I want it cold when I want it, like canned fruit,
all kinds of canned fish, and all unopened condiments. All my food
fetishes are resolved by my having a second fridge in the basement.

Use by date Alex[_17_] General Cooking 92 01-03-2017 04:45 PM
need a date look here [email protected] Barbecue 0 27-05-2006 05:22 AM
I have a date notbob General Cooking 19 24-12-2004 09:46 AM
What to BBQ on a date Dirty Harry Barbecue 19 21-05-2004 09:39 AM
release date vs date on bottle- confused Larry Wine 2 26-01-2004 03:17 AM