Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cake Flour redux

Just wanted to report I did finally find cake flour at the supermarket. It
was with the cake mixes and not the flour as people suggested.

We had the postponed party this weekend and I made the cake. It turned out
pretty fabulous (IIDSSM). My decorating skills need a *LOT* of work however.
Who knew that bad handwriting would be magnified 100 times when writing with
icing.

Thanks to all who replied and offered suggestions and help.
Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-01-21, Zeppo > wrote:

> Who knew that bad handwriting would be magnified 100 times when writing with
> icing.

lol.... I can relate. You'll know you've arrived when you can do
bunting. My ex-SisIL ....a real artsy-craftsy type who masters every
craft she tackles.... did my daughter's wedding cake. It was so
gorgeous I thought it was professionally done. She smoked cake
decorating and moved on with a yawn, like all the crafts she does.
Me? I can barely spread canned frosting on a pan cake without tearing
the surface.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 06:58:56 -0500, "Zeppo" > wrote:

>Just wanted to report I did finally find cake flour at the supermarket. It
>was with the cake mixes and not the flour as people suggested.
>
>We had the postponed party this weekend and I made the cake. It turned out
>pretty fabulous (IIDSSM). My decorating skills need a *LOT* of work however.
>Who knew that bad handwriting would be magnified 100 times when writing with
>icing.
>
>Thanks to all who replied and offered suggestions and help.
>Jon

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Zeppo" > wrote:

> pretty fabulous (IIDSSM). My decorating skills need a *LOT* of work however.
> Who knew that bad handwriting would be magnified 100 times when writing with
> icing.

The trick to writing with a decorating tip, Jon, is that you have to
move your whole arm; you can't use that cone the way you would a pen.
Been a while since I've done it, but I remember (as a right handed
person) holding on to my right wrist with my left hand and I wrote,
helping guide and steady my writing hand. FWIW. You might also want
to thin a bit the icing you're writing with.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:
> Me? I can barely spread canned frosting on a pan cake without tearing
> the surface.
>
> nb

Put it on in small dollops and then connect them with a knife or
spreader. Cinchy.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 21, 9:47�pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> �"Zeppo" > wrote:
> > pretty fabulous (IIDSSM). My decorating skills need a *LOT* of work however.
> > Who knew that bad handwriting would be magnified 100 times when writing with
> > icing.

> The trick to writing with a decorating tip, Jon, is that you have to
> move your whole arm; you can't �use that cone the way you would a pen. �
> Been a while since I've done it, but I remember (as a right handed
> person) holding on to my right wrist with my left hand and I wrote,
> helping guide and steady my writing hand. � FWIW. �You might also want
> to thin a bit the icing you're writing with.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller1-9-2010

My penmanship on a cake is actually better than it normally is. I use
my right hand to hold the bag and I use my left index finger to help
guide and steady the tip. If the icing comes out in squiggles I know
I'm either squeezing too hard or I need to cut the tip slightly larger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> Me? I can barely spread canned frosting on a pan cake without tearing
>> the surface.
>>
>> nb
>>

> Put it on in small dollops and then connect them with a knife or
> spreader. Cinchy.

That is good advice. If nb or anyone else is nervous about crumbs
getting in the frosting, then put the cake in the freezer for about 30
minutes before you add the frosting. You could also "crumb coat" the
cake before you add the frosting.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-crumb-coat.htm Call me when it is
ready, I will let you know how it turns out. :-P

Becca

Cake Flour Zeppo[_2_] General Cooking 21 10-01-2010 02:31 AM
Banana - cake and bread redux bob General Cooking 7 08-05-2009 04:49 PM
Carrot Cake Recipe Redux Gloria P General Cooking 3 17-10-2008 11:48 PM
Pizelles - Cake Flour Anyone? Dan Wenz Baking 2 02-10-2005 03:46 AM
Cake flour? Gizmo Baking 13 29-07-2005 03:40 PM