Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Who's-been-posting-here-longer-than-who?

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote
> I can't remember yesterday very well, how the hell would I remember when
> I first posted on rfc. I agree totally, what difference does it make,
> are there bragging rights attached or did I miss that post?

I believe there may have been some weenie-wagging going on earlier,
Jorge. "-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote
>> I can't remember yesterday very well, how the hell would I remember when
>> I first posted on rfc. I agree totally, what difference does it make,
>> are there bragging rights attached or did I miss that post?

>I believe there may have been some weenie-wagging going on earlier,
>Jorge. "-)

Looks like!

Some people also seem compelled to announce (in at least one case, not for
the first time) how long they've been here without acquiring a Clue(tm).

ObFood: I found bags of eggplant and zucchini at the Berkeley Bowl West
bargain shelf, so made ratatouille in Ye Olde Crockpotte. It's tasty and
a change from the crockpot chili from last week. I had it over noodles
and with parm cheese for lunch today.

I have some sausages in the freezer (some that I made myself at the
Fatted Calf, some that I bought at Boccalone at the Ferry Building last
time I was in SF) that will probably be added to this before I'm finished
eating it.

(The rest are going in sausage, white bean, and greens soup. I got kale
in my farm box.)

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:
(snip)
> I have some sausages in the freezer (some that I made myself at the
> Fatted Calf, some that I bought at Boccalone at the Ferry Building last
> time I was in SF) that will probably be added to this before I'm finished
> eating it.
>
> (The rest are going in sausage, white bean, and greens soup. I got kale
> in my farm box.)
>
> Charlotte
>
> --

Have you ever made anything like this? I use more kale than the recipe
calls for, and I don't bake the sausages‹I fry them. We like it; maybe
you would, too.

Zuppa Toscana (Olive Garden copycat recipe)

Recipe By: cdkitchen.com (Val Whitmore's site) via Becky

Serving Size: 4

12 small spicy sausage links
2 medium potatoes, cut in half then sliced
3/4 cup diced onion
6 slices bacon
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 cups kale leaves, cut in half then sliced
2 tablespoons chicken base
1 quart water
1/3 cup whipping cream

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place sausages on a baking sheet and bake
25 minutes, or until done. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut at an angle
into 1/2" slices.

Place onions and bacon in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat
until onions are almost clear. Remove bacon and crumble. Add garlic to
the onions and cook an additional minute. Add chicken base, water, and
potatoes, simmer 15 minutes. Add crumbled bacon, sausage, kale and
cream. Simmer 4 minutes and serve.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas - pictures 2-7-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Have you ever made anything like this? I use more kale than the recipe
> calls for, and I don't bake the sausages‹I fry them. We like it; maybe
> you would, too.
>

> Zuppa Toscana (Olive Garden copycat recipe)
>
> Recipe By: cdkitchen.com (Val Whitmore's site) via Becky
>
> Serving Size: 4
>
> 12 small spicy sausage links
> 2 medium potatoes, cut in half then sliced
> 3/4 cup diced onion
> 6 slices bacon
> 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
> 2 cups kale leaves, cut in half then sliced
> 2 tablespoons chicken base
> 1 quart water
> 1/3 cup whipping cream

You had me right up to the whipping cream.
I may well try it without. Italian sausage and whipping cream
really sound like a STRANGE combination.

I still love ya but my whipping cream goes on pie, whipped.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Who's-been-posting-here-longer-than-who? (was:Hey, I'm new to this...)

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:

>> > About then. I'll never forget how I found out about Usenet and the
>> > guy who hooked me up. Somewhere around '94 or '95. I've used more
>> > than one name and address.

>> I have a confirmed post from 1993, with others from '91-92.
>>
>> So that makes me 'older' than you.
>>
>> And you don't like it......... do you?

> Petah, dahling, if you understood how little I care about who's been
> here since whenever, I do believe you would be surprised. <grin>

Suprised??!! Not really. You seem to care a *great* deal that people
acknowledge that you seem to think you've been posting here the longest,
otherwise why would you keep posting in this thread?

> A) I *am* curious to know exactly what it was that prompted your
> disclosure of your first post of 1993.

Courtesy of one of your scummy 'mates', twitiliger.

It too seems to think because it's been posting here for awhile, that it
'owns' the group.

There's a couple of you like that, on here.

Originally..... awhile back I made a comment that I met my Californian wife
on here, back in the early 90's.

Twitiliger wasn't going to have someone it doesn't like having the same
'street cred' as it has, and called me a liar, so I got the proof to back up
my statements.

> B) I doubt you're older than I
> am; I'm just about older than dirt.

In physical age, yes, you are older than dirt. But I was talking rfc age
(which is why my comment about being 'older' was as seen), and you knew that,
and we're just being obtuse.

> OB Food: "Oven-fried" chicken leg quarters for dinner tonight ‹ they're
> on sale for 39 cents/lb. I'm thinking I'll make some dressing to
> accompany it. Likely will boil some potatoes to mash, too. Gravy may
> come from a packet mix. Cherry chutney on the side.

Dressing, gravy, *and* chutney????!!!!

> (Note to Blake: Thanks for your comment in the thread ‹ I would have
> missed Petah's remarks without yours.)

Now you're just being a condescending bitch.

You know, people respect you for what you do cooking wise at fairs etc, but
you oughta drop the superior look down your nose attitude........ it just
makes you look like a nasty old woman.

And then seeing the people you kiss ass with, makes me wonder why I don't
just killfile you.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > Have you ever made anything like this? I use more kale than the recipe
> > calls for, and I don't bake the sausages‹I fry them. We like it; maybe
> > you would, too.

> Do you use both the sausage and the bacon? It seemed like they would
> clash to me, but I thought if you tried it, you could tell.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

Hmmmm, I'd have to think about that, Ranee. My *guess* is that if I
have bacon in the fridge (I do not always have it on hand), I use it.
If not, I would not buy it just for the recipe.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas - pictures 2-7-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > Have you ever made anything like this? I use more kale than the recipe
> > calls for, and I don't bake the sausagesÐI fry them. We like it; maybe
> > you would, too.
> >

> > Zuppa Toscana (Olive Garden copycat recipe)

(snip rest of recipe)
> > 1/3 cup whipping cream

> You had me right up to the whipping cream.
> I may well try it without. Italian sausage and whipping cream
> really sound like a STRANGE combination.
>
> I still love ya but my whipping cream goes on pie, whipped.
>
> gloria p

No problem. I use half and half if I have it or evaporated milk if I do
not.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas - pictures 2-7-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:svd4n51ofasvpdfsif9pf8bcqsr7s7m81t@
4ax.com:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 00:44:39 +0000 (UTC),
> (Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:
>
>> I have some sausages in the freezer (some that I made myself at the
>> Fatted Calf

> Their classes are hands on? It's not clear.
>
> TIA

Sounds like they're hands on.......... 'specially as Charlotte said "some
that I made myself" ;-P

http://www.fattedcalf.com/

Upcoming Events

I Heart Sausage

Saturday, February 13

And so does The Fatted Calf! So join us on this Valentine's Eve to share
our common love. We'll make four varieties of delicious links; fresh,
smoked, poached and blood.

Whole Hog Butchery Part 1
Saturday, February 27, 2010

Learn to break down a whole hog into its various useful parts, prepare
roasts and make fresh sausage and crepinettes.

Self Preservation
Saturday, March 6, 2010

The art of salting, smoking, potting and brining meats was developed out
of a necessity to preserve foods for survival. In this class we will focus
on some of these methods and their delicious results. Class participants
will learn to corn beef (just in time for St. Patrick's Day), pot pork
rillettes and smoke bacon.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterL1" > wrote in message

> Now you're just being a condescending bitch.
>
> You know, people respect you for what you do cooking wise at fairs etc,
> but
> you oughta drop the superior look down your nose attitude........ it just
> makes you look like a nasty old woman.
>
> And then seeing the people you kiss ass with, makes me wonder why I don't
> just killfile you.
>

> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia

bwaaaaahaaaaa....peewee making friends.lol.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sausage and greens soups was Who's-been-posting-here-longer-than-who?

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>In article >,
> (Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:
>(snip)
>> I have some sausages in the freezer (some that I made myself at the
>> Fatted Calf, some that I bought at Boccalone at the Ferry Building last
>> time I was in SF) that will probably be added to this before I'm finished
>> eating it.
>>
>> (The rest are going in sausage, white bean, and greens soup. I got kale
>> in my farm box.)

>Have you ever made anything like this? I use more kale than the recipe
>calls for, and I don't bake the sausages‹I fry them. We like it; maybe
>you would, too.
>

>Zuppa Toscana (Olive Garden copycat recipe)
>
>Recipe By: cdkitchen.com (Val Whitmore's site) via Becky
>
>Serving Size: 4
>
>12 small spicy sausage links
>2 medium potatoes, cut in half then sliced
>3/4 cup diced onion
>6 slices bacon
>1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
>2 cups kale leaves, cut in half then sliced
>2 tablespoons chicken base
>1 quart water
>1/3 cup whipping cream
>
>Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place sausages on a baking sheet and bake
>25 minutes, or until done. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut at an angle
>into 1/2" slices.
>
>Place onions and bacon in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat
>until onions are almost clear. Remove bacon and crumble. Add garlic to
>the onions and cook an additional minute. Add chicken base, water, and
>potatoes, simmer 15 minutes. Add crumbled bacon, sausage, kale and
>cream. Simmer 4 minutes and serve.

I haven't, nor have I eaten at an Olive Garden (the nearest one is two
counties away and over a toll bridge) but thanks for the
recipe. Do the potatoes break down into soup thickener to complement
the splash of cream or are they recognizable slices?

I am shooting for the soup I ate at Sea Salt in Berkeley which was a
pretty basic sausage, greens, white beans in chicken broth mix. I say
basic but it was completely delicious because they used quality sausage
(yay Fatted Calf!!), greens, and broth . It may have had carrots in
it; I will no doubt put carrots in mine, because I get a lot of them in
my farm box.

One of my favorite winter soups is a hybrid between minestrone and
Italian wedding soup. It tends to get the Musgovian veg, but chicken
broth, meatballs, and greens feature prominently.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:04:24 -0700, Zilbandy wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 16:02:09 -0800, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
>>The year before
>>wasn't as active with the same posters, which makes me wonder if 1994
>>was the year when everyone joined???!! Or everyone of note, that
>>is...LOL

> Hey! I'm of note! ::stomping foot and throwing a hissy fit:: ... just
> not in this newsgroup.

my picture is in fine post offices everywhere.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:03:59 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:51:12 GMT, PeterL2 wrote:
>>> I have a confirmed post from 1993, with others from '91-92.
>>>
>>> So that makes me 'older' than you.
>>>
>>> And you don't like it......... do you?

>> believe me, barbs's status here is not at all threatened by the likes of
>> your ass.
>>
>> blake

> ROFL! Want some candy, Little Boy? LOL!

you're my candy, honey.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:05:32 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> pure kona > wrote:
>> OT: Every time I see the heading for this thread I feel ...and I
>> could be so wrong-- but shouldn't it say "Who's been posting here
>> longer than WHOM?"
>>
>> aloha,
>> Cea

> That's funny, Cea. When I see it, I think, "Who *cares*? WTF
> difference does it make about *anything*?"

i hear there's some kind of old-age benefit.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:39:12 -0600, George Shirley wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> pure kona > wrote:
>>> OT: Every time I see the heading for this thread I feel ...and I
>>> could be so wrong-- but shouldn't it say "Who's been posting here
>>> longer than WHOM?"
>>>
>>> aloha,
>>> Cea

>> That's funny, Cea. When I see it, I think, "Who *cares*? WTF
>> difference does it make about *anything*?"
>>

> I can't remember yesterday very well, how the hell would I remember when
> I first posted on rfc. I agree totally, what difference does it make,
> are there bragging rights attached or did I miss that post?

'mine is longer and grayer than yours.'

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 04:14:51 GMT, PeterL1 wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
> :

<snip long post bithing abour various things>

>> (Note to Blake: Thanks for your comment in the thread ‹ I would have
>> missed Petah's remarks without yours.)

> Now you're just being a condescending bitch.
>
> You know, people respect you for what you do cooking wise at fairs etc, but
> you oughta drop the superior look down your nose attitude........ it just
> makes you look like a nasty old woman.

better a condescending bitch than an absolute fruitcake.

> And then seeing the people you kiss ass with, makes me wonder why I don't
> just killfile you.

i think i killfile census would have you outnumbering barb by about fifty
to one.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 18:56:06 +0000 (UTC),
>(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:
>
>>One of my favorite winter soups is a hybrid between minestrone and
>>Italian wedding soup. It tends to get the Musgovian veg, but chicken
>>broth, meatballs, and greens feature prominently.

>Oh, that sounds really good to me right now....
>I will have to dig out my recipe for Italian Wedding Soup now...

At the risk of losing my RFC street cred (LOLOL), my meatball soup could
have been included in the Trader Joe's cookbook. It can be scaled up to
feed a group of people quite easily.

I have to check and see if they still sell the Chard of Many Colors in a
bag. Last time I looked I couldn't find it, so I cut a head of chard and
a head of escarole into thin ribbons (stems and all) and then chopped the
ribbons down some for easy eating.

Good chicken broth
Small meatballs (I use Trader Joe's Party-Sized)
Chopped chard, escarole, spinach, what have you
Cooked cannelini or other white beans
Sliced or roughly-chopped carrots

Simmer it all together for about 20 minutes (carrots tender, meatballs
warmed through, greens cooked down).

For a single batch I'd probably use 2 quarts broth, one small can
cannelini (that's 1.5 cups if you cook yours from dry), one of the bags of
meatballs, at least one head greens, and 4-5 regular carrots.

I'm going to be 'sperimenting with gluten-free meatballs; usually when I
scale this recipe up, it's for a church feed, and several people in the
congregation are GF so I like to be able to tell them "you can eat
that!!". The TJ's party size are, in the meantime, a staple in my freezer.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:

> >> (The rest are going in sausage, white bean, and greens soup. I got kale
> >> in my farm box.)

> >Have you ever made anything like this? I use more kale than the recipe
> >calls for, and I don't bake the sausages‹I fry them. We like it; maybe
> >you would, too.

(snipped recipe)

> I haven't, nor have I eaten at an Olive Garden (the nearest one is two
> counties away and over a toll bridge) but thanks for the
> recipe. Do the potatoes break down into soup thickener to complement
> the splash of cream or are they recognizable slices?

I use red potatoes that hold their shape nicely. They are not there to
thicken the soup.

> I am shooting for the soup I ate at Sea Salt in Berkeley which was a
> pretty basic sausage, greens, white beans in chicken broth mix. I say
> basic but it was completely delicious because they used quality sausage
> (yay Fatted Calf!!), greens, and broth . It may have had carrots in
> it; I will no doubt put carrots in mine, because I get a lot of them in
> my farm box.

I like the idea of the white beans in the soup ‹ I have some mayo coba
beans that could go into a pot of this stuff. They're canned, but I
would still enjoy them.

I like kale but don't prepare it except here.

> One of my favorite winter soups is a hybrid between minestrone and
> Italian wedding soup. It tends to get the Musgovian veg, but chicken
> broth, meatballs, and greens feature prominently.

There you go, then. "-)

> Charlotte

-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Dom Schallerovych 2-10-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> i hear there's some kind of old-age benefit.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Or a medal for long-term service?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> My recipe for "zuppa Toscana" uses a bit of dairy too, but I don't
> like it really creamy, more brothy is my preference.

I like brothy soups, too, as opposed to wallpaper-paste-thick soups.
The cream in the recipe I posted doesn't thicken the soup (which is what
"creamy" means to me) at all. I guess I'll have to pay more attention
to what it tastes like before and after the addition of the cream
(evaporated milk more likely here); I think it just mellows it out a
bit. But, hey, leave it out if that's how you like it. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Dom Schallerovych 2-10-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 10, 2:43*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *ImStillMags > wrote:
> > My recipe for "zuppa Toscana" uses a bit of dairy too, but I don't
> > like it really creamy, more brothy is my preference.

> I like brothy soups, too, as opposed to wallpaper-paste-thick soups. *
> The cream in the recipe I posted doesn't thicken the soup (which is what
> "creamy" means to me) at all. * *I guess I'll have to pay more attention
> to what it tastes like before and after the addition of the cream
> (evaporated milk more likely here); I think it just mellows it out a
> bit. *But, hey, leave it out if that's how you like it. *:-)
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
> Dom Schallerovych 2-10-2010

Oh, I use half and half or cream if I happen to have some, I just
don't add as much as the Olive Garden does.
yeah, creamy to me means thicker.....we should come up with a better
term meaning "with dairy".............
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 04:14:51 GMT, PeterL1 wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
>> :
>>

> <snip long post bithing abour various things>
>>>
>>> (Note to Blake: Thanks for your comment in the thread ‹ I would have
>>> missed Petah's remarks without yours.)

>> Now you're just being a condescending bitch.
>>
>> You know, people respect you for what you do cooking wise at fairs etc, but
>> you oughta drop the superior look down your nose attitude........ it just
>> makes you look like a nasty old woman.

>better a condescending bitch than an absolute fruitcake.
>>
>> And then seeing the people you kiss ass with, makes me wonder why I don't
>> just killfile you.

>i think i killfile census would have you outnumbering barb by about fifty
>to one.

Blake, why bother trying to play on his level? He's obviously deluded.

Anyway, I find the threat of "I should killfile you" hi-lar-i-ous. Not
only does it completely demonstrate that he got stuck some time during
the second month or so of his usenet career and hasn't acquired a clue
since, it really comes across like the Inquisitors from the Monty Python
sketch. Threatening Barb with the killfile is exactly like "Bring out
the comfy chair!"

Meta note: Threatening people with your killfile just makes you (general
you, not just Peter) look like a complete tool. Either do or do not, and
don't make grand announcements. Nobody cares but you.

ObFood: Lunch was mostly-local: seared hamburger patty from Clark Hill
Ranch, potatoes and broccoli from my farm box. Your reminder (I think it
was yours, back to you==Blake) in the sauce thread about How to Cook
without a Book reminded me that I could make a red-wine-and-mushroom pan
sauce to go with that burger, so I did.

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote in
:

> Blake, why bother trying to play on his level? He's obviously deluded.

Only in your tiny little mind.

It's an easy term to use when you're scared of the poster just because
he/she won't 'conform' to what you think is right.

As for listening to anything that ****wit 'blake' has to offer, it only
shows how willing you are to scrabble around the floor for any little
scrap thrown to you by the impotent little turd.

Is your self esteem *that* low? If it is, you need help.

> Anyway, I find the threat of "I should killfile you" hi-lar-i-ous. Not
> only does it completely demonstrate that he got stuck some time during
> the second month or so of his usenet career and hasn't acquired a clue
> since, it really comes across like the Inquisitors from the Monty Python
> sketch. Threatening Barb with the killfile is exactly like "Bring out
> the comfy chair!"

Once again, you can bluster, bullshit, and make all the inane excuses you
want to justify your crap.... at the end of the day the killfile is a
*very* useful tool, and I don't use it lightly. As I previously stated, I
respect Barb for her culinary abilities, but she, and her little pack of
cronies, are acting like they "own" this newsgroup. They don't. They never
have, and they never will.

> Meta note: Threatening people with your killfile just makes you
> (general you, not just Peter) look like a complete tool. Either do or
> do not, and don't make grand announcements. Nobody cares but you.

Once again, that's your opinion, and you're perfectly entitled to it, even
though it's not worth a pinch of shit.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrites.

-- Albert Einstein --
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterL1" > wrote in message

| It's an easy term to use when you're scared of the poster just because
| he/she won't 'conform' to what you think is right.

Wow, that's it. I'm "scared" of you because you won't conform to
what I think is right. OOhhhhhh, frightened, scared, horrified. My
goodness, I don't know who is more terrifying, Petey or Sheldumb.
I wish my ten years in the Marines had prepared me for such a
malevolent horror. Saints Preserve Us, You are Formidable Indeed.
We quiver in fear and apprehension. Spare us, majesty.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> yeah, creamy to me means thicker.....we should come up with a better
> term meaning "with dairy".............

such as "enriched" ?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:54:26 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> Oh, I use half and half or cream if I happen to have some, I just
> don't add as much as the Olive Garden does.
> yeah, creamy to me means thicker.....we should come up with a better
> term meaning "with dairy".............

Personally, creamy connotes dairy to me and it doesn't automatically
mean thick. I think someone needs to come up with a better way to
describe soups that have been thickened by something other than dairy.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sausages! Sausages! Sausages!

Charlotte wrote:

> I have some sausages in the freezer (some that I made myself at the
> Fatted Calf, some that I bought at Boccalone at the Ferry Building last
> time I was in SF) that will probably be added to this before I'm finished
> eating it.
>
> (The rest are going in sausage, white bean, and greens soup. I got kale
> in my farm box.)

That reminds me: On Sunday, I made a kind of pseudo-Vietnamese sausage using
the meat from a bunch of boneless chicken thighs, Maggi sauce, red pepper
flakes, garlic, and salt. Yesterday I made a big (about 10-inch) patty out
of it, cooked it like a burger, then broke it up and cooked it with choy sum
(a kind of flowering Chinese cabbage) and a julienned red bell pepper.
Toward the end of cooking, I thickened the mixture with a cornstarch slurry.

I was *very* happy with the way the sausage turned out, and I've still got a
lot of it in the refrigerator. I think my next use for it will be on a
toasted baguette with pickled kale, cherry peppers, and sliced tomato. (Lin
bought some hothouse heirloom tomatoes which are ugly but tasty.)

Could you please amplify about the sausages you made at the Fatted Calf?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter got all defensive (I was going to say "ugly", but he never stopped!):

>> A) I *am* curious to know exactly what it was that prompted your
>> disclosure of your first post of 1993.

> Courtesy of one of your scummy 'mates', twitiliger.
>
> It too seems to think because it's been posting here for awhile, that it
> 'owns' the group.
>
> There's a couple of you like that, on here.
>

> Originally..... awhile back I made a comment that I met my Californian
> wife on here, back in the early 90's.
>
> Twitiliger wasn't going to have someone it doesn't like having the same
> 'street cred' as it has, and called me a liar, so I got the proof to back
> up my statements.

Yes, you did. Since you seem to place such significance in Usenet longevity,
allow me to point out that I provided proof that I was posting here in March
of 1990.

So that makes me 'older' than you.

And you don't like it......... do you?

Bob (I also mentioned that both Julian Vrieslander and Mark Thorsen were
here before I was.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlotte L. Blackmer" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>>On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 04:14:51 GMT, PeterL1 wrote:
>>
>>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
>>> :
>>>

>> <snip long post bithing abour various things>

>>> Now you're just being a condescending bitch.
>>>
>>> You know, people respect you for what you do cooking wise at fairs etc,
>>> but
>>> you oughta drop the superior look down your nose attitude........ it
>>> just
>>> makes you look like a nasty old woman.

>>better a condescending bitch than an absolute fruitcake.
>>>
>>> And then seeing the people you kiss ass with, makes me wonder why I
>>> don't
>>> just killfile you.

>>i think i killfile census would have you outnumbering barb by about fifty
>>to one.

> Blake, why bother trying to play on his level? He's obviously deluded.
>
> Anyway, I find the threat of "I should killfile you" hi-lar-i-ous. Not
> only does it completely demonstrate that he got stuck some time during
> the second month or so of his usenet career and hasn't acquired a clue
> since, it really comes across like the Inquisitors from the Monty Python
> sketch. Threatening Barb with the killfile is exactly like "Bring out
> the comfy chair!"
>
> Meta note: Threatening people with your killfile just makes you (general
> you, not just Peter) look like a complete tool. Either do or do not, and
> don't make grand announcements. Nobody cares but you.
>
> ObFood: Lunch was mostly-local: seared hamburger patty from Clark Hill
> Ranch, potatoes and broccoli from my farm box. Your reminder (I think it
> was yours, back to you==Blake) in the sauce thread about How to Cook
> without a Book reminded me that I could make a red-wine-and-mushroom pan
> sauce to go with that burger, so I did.

Good post... and nice lunch too...

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "PeterL1" > wrote in message
> |
> | It's an easy term to use when you're scared of the poster just because
> | he/she won't 'conform' to what you think is right.
>
> Wow, that's it. I'm "scared" of you because you won't conform to
> what I think is right. OOhhhhhh, frightened, scared, horrified. My
> goodness, I don't know who is more terrifying, Petey or Sheldumb.
> I wish my ten years in the Marines had prepared me for such a
> malevolent horror. Saints Preserve Us, You are Formidable Indeed.
> We quiver in fear and apprehension. Spare us, majesty.

rofl

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:57:41 -0500, Dora wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>>
>> i hear there's some kind of old-age benefit.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Or a medal for long-term service?

well, it's doubtful they'll be handing out medals for good behavior anytime
soon.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 00:15:37 +0000 (UTC), Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>>On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 04:14:51 GMT, PeterL1 wrote:
>>
>>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
>>> :
>>>

>> <snip long post bithing abour various things>

>>> Now you're just being a condescending bitch.
>>>
>>> You know, people respect you for what you do cooking wise at fairs etc, but
>>> you oughta drop the superior look down your nose attitude........ it just
>>> makes you look like a nasty old woman.

>>better a condescending bitch than an absolute fruitcake.
>>>
>>> And then seeing the people you kiss ass with, makes me wonder why I don't
>>> just killfile you.

>>i think i killfile census would have you outnumbering barb by about fifty
>>to one.

> Blake, why bother trying to play on his level? He's obviously deluded.

but it's so fun and e-z!

> Anyway, I find the threat of "I should killfile you" hi-lar-i-ous. Not
> only does it completely demonstrate that he got stuck some time during
> the second month or so of his usenet career and hasn't acquired a clue
> since, it really comes across like the Inquisitors from the Monty Python
> sketch. Threatening Barb with the killfile is exactly like "Bring out
> the comfy chair!"
>
> Meta note: Threatening people with your killfile just makes you (general
> you, not just Peter) look like a complete tool. Either do or do not, and
> don't make grand announcements. Nobody cares but you.
>
> ObFood: Lunch was mostly-local: seared hamburger patty from Clark Hill
> Ranch, potatoes and broccoli from my farm box. Your reminder (I think it
> was yours, back to you==Blake) in the sauce thread about How to Cook
> without a Book reminded me that I could make a red-wine-and-mushroom pan
> sauce to go with that burger, so I did.
>
> Charlotte

i'm thinking maybe i should buy the book. (i had just checked it out of
the library.) i could use some help with the basics, myself.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:07:10 -0500, pavane wrote:

> "PeterL1" > wrote in message
>|
>| It's an easy term to use when you're scared of the poster just because
>| he/she won't 'conform' to what you think is right.
>
> Wow, that's it. I'm "scared" of you because you won't conform to
> what I think is right. OOhhhhhh, frightened, scared, horrified. My
> goodness, I don't know who is more terrifying, Petey or Sheldumb.
> I wish my ten years in the Marines had prepared me for such a
> malevolent horror. Saints Preserve Us, You are Formidable Indeed.
> We quiver in fear and apprehension. Spare us, majesty.
>
> pavane

i'm surprised peter hasn't offered to come over here and beat us both up.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 00:15:37 +0000 (UTC), Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> blake murphy > wrote:
>>>On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 04:14:51 GMT, PeterL1 wrote:

[delusions about Barb snipped to here]

>>>i think i killfile census would have you outnumbering barb by about fifty
>>>to one.

>> Blake, why bother trying to play on his level? He's obviously deluded.

>but it's so fun and e-z!

How about "no, no it's not".

The only way to "win" with a kook like him is to not play his game.

>> ObFood: Lunch was mostly-local: seared hamburger patty from Clark Hill
>> Ranch, potatoes and broccoli from my farm box. Your reminder (I think it
>> was yours, back to you==Blake) in the sauce thread about How to Cook
>> without a Book reminded me that I could make a red-wine-and-mushroom pan
>> sauce to go with that burger, so I did.
>>

>i'm thinking maybe i should buy the book. (i had just checked it out of
>the library.) i could use some help with the basics, myself.

I own it, and it has really helped me out on my quest to be a much more
off-the-cuff cook, and be better about making my own dinner.

I haven't looked at my copy for a while, which I suppose is a testament to
its effacity .

Charlotte
n.b. small correction: my burger was from a Clark Summit Ranch cow, not
Clark Hill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>Charlotte wrote:
>
>> I have some sausages in the freezer (some that I made myself at the
>> Fatted Calf, some that I bought at Boccalone at the Ferry Building last
>> time I was in SF) that will probably be added to this before I'm finished
>> eating it.
>>
>> (The rest are going in sausage, white bean, and greens soup. I got kale
>> in my farm box.)

>That reminds me: On Sunday, I made a kind of pseudo-Vietnamese sausage using
>the meat from a bunch of boneless chicken thighs, Maggi sauce, red pepper
>flakes, garlic, and salt. Yesterday I made a big (about 10-inch) patty out
>of it, cooked it like a burger, then broke it up and cooked it with choy sum
>(a kind of flowering Chinese cabbage) and a julienned red bell pepper.
>Toward the end of cooking, I thickened the mixture with a cornstarch slurry.
>
>I was *very* happy with the way the sausage turned out, and I've still got a
>lot of it in the refrigerator. I think my next use for it will be on a
>toasted baguette with pickled kale, cherry peppers, and sliced tomato. (Lin
>bought some hothouse heirloom tomatoes which are ugly but tasty.)

Bahn mi! Bahn mi!!

Did you add any fat to it or just use what was in the thighs?

>Could you please amplify about the sausages you made at the Fatted Calf?

Sure.

It was a part of their Whole Hog butchery class. When we arrived there
were two halves of a roasting-size pig on the counters. IIRC Taylor said
that it had weighed about 100# and they usually bought bigger pigs for
Fatted Calf use, but this was a good size pig for training purposes.

We got the basic info on pig parts and then Taylor got out his saw and cut
it into head, shoulder, belly, and leg. He started with some of the
deboning of various parts and turned the rest over to the class (including
the second half of the pig).

The pork shoulder got cut into chunks and turned into sausage. We got
basic sausage info, such as "about a quarter fat is good", and best cuts
to use. Shoulder has about the right ratio to start.

And, of course, the importance of frying yourself up a test patty to check
seasonings.

At FC, they usually crank all the sausage out on one day of the week,
usually Thursdays; they have a lot of equipment and it all needs to be
cleaned, so they just run everything through, from mildest to spiciest.
Here's what we made:

1) Bangers (they had a panade ready for us)
2) Garlic sausage
3) Bordelaise - cooked-down red wine, garlic, spices*
4) Pimenton and olives

* this batch had been marinated in the walk-in, so the pig we cut up was
not a part of it.

They have an industrial strength meat grinder. It was a joy to see it
work. Several attendees recalled their grandpops who had hand-crank
grinders and strong upper arms, and I got to make my standard joke about
my vision of the Foodie Diet: you can eat ANYTHING you want as long as
you have produced it BY HAND (no motorized machines). (Why, yes, I
originally did make mayonnaise by whisking it. I should probably try it
again to work on my bingo wings.)

Once the bangers were ready to be cased, we got introduced to both casings
and the stuffing equipment. And once we had the first coil of sausage,
Taylor demonstrated how to make links by twirling the casing around in
alternate directions. (you need to leave slack in the casing)

The bangers simmered in the big pot as we dealt with the other sausages.
The pimenton-and-olive got made into crepinettes - we made patties and
then carefully stretched out caul fat to cover them.

We had an awesome porchetta for lunch (we learned that porchetta is the
midsection of the pig, completely deboned but with skin on, and rolled
around something - lunch was in the oven when we arrived, so it wasn't
from the pigs we deboned) and got bags containing bangers, garlic sausage,
and crepinettes, which the FC employees had wrapped up for us, when we
left.

All in all, a great day!

I'm seeing if I've got any room in my budget for the Self-Preservation
class so I can try my hand at Makin' Bacon.

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:

(snip)
> > Petah, dahling, if you understood how little I care about who's been
> > here since whenever, I do believe you would be surprised. <grin>

> Suprised??!! Not really. You seem to care a *great* deal that people
> acknowledge that you seem to think you've been posting here the longest,
> otherwise why would you keep posting in this thread?

I'm not responsible for what others post; my reply that seems to have
twisted your whities was in response to a comment Charlotte made.

AFA why I keep posting in this thread? I don't usually get into these
****ing contests but I'm bored of the weather and I don't feel like
folding the laundry. :-)

> > A) I *am* curious to know exactly what it was that prompted your
> > disclosure of your first post of 1993.

> Courtesy of one of your scummy 'mates', twitiliger.
>
> It too seems to think because it's been posting here for awhile, that it
> 'owns' the group.

"Own" it? That's rich. I get outspoken every once and a while about
all the new threads started that have nothing to do with cooking food
but I don't think that means I own the group. Heh! If I owned it, that
crap wouldn't appear on *anyone's* server to be filtered.

> There's a couple of you like that, on here.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
Poor dear.

> > B) I doubt you're older than I
> > am; I'm just about older than dirt.

> In physical age, yes, you are older than dirt. But I was talking rfc age
> (which is why my comment about being 'older' was as seen), and you knew that,
> and we're just being obtuse.

You were being obtuse? Huh!

> > OB Food: "Oven-fried" chicken leg quarters for dinner tonight ‹ they're
> > on sale for 39 cents/lb. I'm thinking I'll make some dressing to
> > accompany it. Likely will boil some potatoes to mash, too. Gravy may
> > come from a packet mix. Cherry chutney on the side.

> Dressing, gravy, *and* chutney????!!!!

Well, sure; why not? The gravy goes on *top* of the dressing and/or
potatoes; the chutney just sits to the edge of the plate as a little
glob from the spoon, ready to be moved to fork to mouth. As it turned
out, I didn't serve the chutney; it was just the shicken, dressing, a
mashed potato for Himself, and the gravy. The gravy wasn't too bad,
actually. Knorr brand roasted turkey gravy.

> > (Note to Blake: Thanks for your comment in the thread ‹ I would have
> > missed Petah's remarks without yours.)

> Now you're just being a condescending bitch.

Hey, who are you calling condescending!!? LOL!

> You know, people respect you for what you do cooking wise at fairs etc, but
> you oughta drop the superior look down your nose attitude........ it just
> makes you look like a nasty old woman.

Heck, I've always said I'm not as nice as most people think I am; sticks
and stones and all that, doncha know.

> And then seeing the people you kiss ass with, makes me wonder why I don't
> just killfile you.

Y'know, it kind of makes me wonder that, too! Unless you're bored and
don't feel like folding laundry, too. "-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Dom Schallerovych 2-10-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' >
> : in
> rec.food.cooking
>
> > In article >,
> > George Shirley > wrote
> >> I can't remember yesterday very well, how the hell would I remember
> >> when I first posted on rfc. I agree totally, what difference does it
> >> make, are there bragging rights attached or did I miss that post?

> > I believe there may have been some weenie-wagging going on earlier,
> > Jorge. "-)

> I can't believe this thread is still alive. George, if you can
> unequivocally prove, with 3rd party documentation, you have been posting
> here the longest; It is my understanding your yearly "dues" are waived for
> life. Isn't that the way it works Barb?
>
> Michael

I'll take it up with The Cabal (TINC). :-). If The Cabal (TINC)
approves, I believe there's a bonus in it for you, too: Two free passes
to the annual April Thrkpt Race and a 3-month credit on YOUR dues!
Huzzah!

George IS older than dirt, though, and he *might* be able to provide
documentation of seniority. But I doubt it.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Dom Schallerovych 2-10-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' >
> : in
> rec.food.cooking
>
> > In article >,
> > George Shirley > wrote
> >> I can't remember yesterday very well, how the hell would I remember
> >> when I first posted on rfc. I agree totally, what difference does it
> >> make, are there bragging rights attached or did I miss that post?

> > I believe there may have been some weenie-wagging going on earlier,
> > Jorge. "-)

> I can't believe this thread is still alive. George, if you can
> unequivocally prove, with 3rd party documentation, you have been posting
> here the longest; It is my understanding your yearly "dues" are waived for
> life. Isn't that the way it works Barb?

I'm guessing that you aren't the one paying the bills in your family (my
wife pays the bills in our household). As I remember, the cabal (TINC)
charges strictly by the number of years you have posted to this group,
and it goes *up*, not down. It certainly never hits zero!

I'd be very surprised if George's bill for posting here was much less
than half his total income.

:-)

--
Dan Abel