Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hey, I'm new to this board and don't know the board dynamics and politics

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:09:06 -0600, Michel Boucher wrote:

> blake murphy > wrote in
> news >
>>> That one is discounted to a mere US$150.00 this week only. Please send
>>> either a postal money order or an international money order. No checks
>>> please.

>> shee-it, i got my recipe from wal-mart for $25.

> I got mine back in the day when the original ****ed off client was selling
> them for only 19,95$US. A bargoon at the price. I have been able to sell
> it over and over again, building up a wealth of such magnitude that it
> dwarf even Nill Gates' piddling penny collection. And throughout, I have
> remained magnanimous as always ;-)

can you lend me twenty 'til payday?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:01:34 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:52:34 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:03:39 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:

>>> I'm glad you understood what was being posted. I sure didn't. It
>>> almost sounded like sf was saying that people should trim their posts so
>>> that their replies make sense.
>>>
>>> "Sense" sounds like a good thing to me.

>>i was referring to her advocacy of top-posting.
>>

> You starting to sound like a status quo conservative.

substitute 'set in my ways' for 'conservative' and that's pretty much
right.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:02:30 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:09:06 -0600, Michel Boucher wrote:
>

>> I got mine back in the day when the original ****ed off client was selling
>> them for only 19,95$US. A bargoon at the price. I have been able to sell
>> it over and over again, building up a wealth of such magnitude that it
>> dwarf even Nill Gates' piddling penny collection. And throughout, I have
>> remained magnanimous as always ;-)

>can you lend me twenty 'til payday?

Don't forget shipping and handling.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:04:26 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>>>i was referring to her advocacy of top-posting.
>>>

>> You starting to sound like a status quo conservative.

>substitute 'set in my ways' for 'conservative' and that's pretty much
>right.

LOL. She would be the only one dumb enough to use conservative in
any sentence referring to you.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Who's-been-posting-here-longer-than-who?

In article
Ranee at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 23:01:30 +1300, Miche > wrote:
> >
> > >Reading but not posting some of the time, depending on what my life was
> > >doing.

> > Listen here, Missy - if you have time to read, you have time to post!

> I know you're teasing, but that isn't true. You have to be able to
> come defend yourself against people who think you are an idiot to roast
> peppers in the oven instead of over a gas flame, etc. It's hard to just
> make a comment and then not answer any questions or replies or whatever,
> and that takes time that people often don't have.

Or you can acknowledge to yourself that fools abound and choose to not
respond. HTH. "-) Responding often just prolongs the issue.
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, depending on my mood. :-)

-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee at Arabian Knits > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 23:01:30 +1300, Miche > wrote:
>>
>> >Reading but not posting some of the time, depending on what my life

was
>> >doing.

>> Listen here, Missy - if you have time to read, you have time to post!

> I know you're teasing, but that isn't true. You have to be able to
> come defend yourself against people who think you are an idiot to roast
> peppers in the oven instead of over a gas flame, etc.

(SHOCK, HORROR!!!!) You roast your peppers in the *oven*???!!!

;-P

I do mine underneath the griller/toaster.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:13:03 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:04:26 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:

>>> You starting to sound like a status quo conservative.

>>substitute 'set in my ways' for 'conservative' and that's pretty much
>>right.

> LOL. She would be the only one dumb enough to use conservative in
> any sentence referring to you.
>
> Lou

i am a liberal politically, but i like things in my household to stay the
same. when something breaks (usually after long time), i want the same
item, which can lead to frustration.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:47:14 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:35:05 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> sf > wrote:

>>> Listen here, Missy - if you have time to read, you have time to post!

>> I know you're teasing, but that isn't true. You have to be able to
>>come defend yourself against people who think you are an idiot to roast
>>peppers in the oven instead of over a gas flame, etc. It's hard to just
>>make a comment and then not answer any questions or replies or whatever,
>>and that takes time that people often don't have.

> I don't post either if I know I won't have time to reply. Especially
> if I have a query. I think it's rude to not be around to thank those
> who've helped.
>
> Lou

i usually try to thank people, too. i think it's important.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:35:05 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 23:01:30 +1300, Miche > wrote:
>>
>>>Reading but not posting some of the time, depending on what my life was
>>>doing.

>> Listen here, Missy - if you have time to read, you have time to post!

> I know you're teasing, but that isn't true. You have to be able to
> come defend yourself against people who think you are an idiot to roast
> peppers in the oven instead of over a gas flame, etc. It's hard to just
> make a comment and then not answer any questions or replies or whatever,
> and that takes time that people often don't have.

or you could try this all-purpose reply (variously attributed to h.l.
mencken, edward r. murrow, or wolcott gibbs):

Dear Sir or Madam:

You may be right.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:00:59 -0500, blake murphy

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:00:59 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:13:03 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:04:26 -0500, blake murphy
>> > wrote:

>>>substitute 'set in my ways' for 'conservative' and that's pretty much
>>>right.

>> LOL. She would be the only one dumb enough to use conservative in
>> any sentence referring to you.
>>
>> Lou

>i am a liberal politically, but i like things in my household to stay the
>same. when something breaks (usually after long time), i want the same
>item, which can lead to frustration.

Sounds like I hit Lou's sore spot. Whatta putz.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:00:59 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:13:03 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>

>>> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:04:26 -0500, blake murphy

>>> LOL. She would be the only one dumb enough to use conservative in
>>> any sentence referring to you.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>> i am a liberal politically, but i like things in my household to stay the
>> same. when something breaks (usually after long time), i want the same
>> item, which can lead to frustration.
>>

> Sounds like I hit Lou's sore spot. Whatta putz.

At least you got it on the second try. Newbies take some time to
learn. Got anything new to post or are you going to remain a lemming?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:00:59 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>i am a liberal politically, but i like things in my household to stay the
>same. when something breaks (usually after long time), i want the same
>item, which can lead to frustration.

We have a friend who is very well off financially, but drives a 16
year old Mercedes. He drives it not to be economical or b/c he's
cheap, he just doesn't want to have to deal with a different vehicle's
whistles and bells. His old Merc is getting to the point of not being
repairable and I swear the guy would spend $200k if someone would
build him a new car exactly like the one he has now.

He also has a 1932 Rolls Royce he inherited from his father that has
right hand drive with the shifter *in the door*, which I found very
odd. It also has writing desks on the back of the front seats. Drives
like you ought to have a parrot on your shoulder, singing, "Yo HO!" He
drove it down to south Orange County from LA and never was able to get
it over 50 mph, and in SoCal, that can get you killed, even in a land
barge!

OB: A big order of crab legs showed up on Friday and we're having a
big ole crab leg dinner tomorrow with the family. I figure 2 lbs of
butter ought to suffice, a nice salad, some haricots vert sauteed in a
little lemon and butter, sourdough bread and that berry crumb pie
ought to work nicely. <burp!>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

---

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:00:59 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>

>> i am a liberal politically, but i like things in my household to stay the
>> same. when something breaks (usually after long time), i want the same
>> item, which can lead to frustration.
>>

> We have a friend who is very well off financially, but drives a 16
> year old Mercedes. He drives it not to be economical or b/c he's
> cheap, he just doesn't want to have to deal with a different vehicle's
> whistles and bells. His old Merc is getting to the point of not being
> repairable and I swear the guy would spend $200k if someone would
> build him a new car exactly like the one he has now.
>
> He also has a 1932 Rolls Royce he inherited from his father that has
> right hand drive with the shifter *in the door*, which I found very
> odd. It also has writing desks on the back of the front seats. Drives
> like you ought to have a parrot on your shoulder, singing, "Yo HO!" He
> drove it down to south Orange County from LA and never was able to get
> it over 50 mph, and in SoCal, that can get you killed, even in a land
> barge!
>
> OB: A big order of crab legs showed up on Friday and we're having a
> big ole crab leg dinner tomorrow with the family. I figure 2 lbs of
> butter ought to suffice, a nice salad, some haricots vert sauteed in a
> little lemon and butter, sourdough bread and that berry crumb pie
> ought to work nicely.<burp!>
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

That was very enlightening!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 23:01:30 +1300, Miche > wrote:
>
> >Reading but not posting some of the time, depending on what my life was
> >doing.

> Listen here, Missy - if you have time to read, you have time to post!

Hah!

> >Posting more these days, finding the time somehow.

> See above.

That'll all change when night school restarts in a few weeks.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 17:02:49 +1300, Miche > wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 23:01:30 +1300, Miche > wrote:
>>
>> >Reading but not posting some of the time, depending on what my life was
>> >doing.

>> Listen here, Missy - if you have time to read, you have time to post!

>Hah!
>
>> >Posting more these days, finding the time somehow.

>> See above.

>That'll all change when night school restarts in a few weeks.

When can we expect the next Miche sighting? June?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 19:17:29 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:00:59 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>i am a liberal politically, but i like things in my household to stay the
>>same. when something breaks (usually after long time), i want the same
>>item, which can lead to frustration.

> We have a friend who is very well off financially, but drives a 16
> year old Mercedes. He drives it not to be economical or b/c he's
> cheap, he just doesn't want to have to deal with a different vehicle's
> whistles and bells. His old Merc is getting to the point of not being
> repairable and I swear the guy would spend $200k if someone would
> build him a new car exactly like the one he has now.

i can *totally* dig that.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 17:02:49 +1300, Miche > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > sf > wrote:

> >> Listen here, Missy - if you have time to read, you have time to post!

> >Hah!

> >> See above.

> >That'll all change when night school restarts in a few weeks.
> >

> When can we expect the next Miche sighting? June?

Dunno yet. Won't be May, that's block course. Two weeks of utter
madness.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:

>> When can we expect the next Miche sighting? June?

> Dunno yet. Won't be May, that's block course. Two weeks of utter
> madness.

The next week and a half is going to be like that for me, starting in about 2
hours....... oh well!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Who's-been-posting-here-longer-than-who? (was:Hey, I'm new to this...)

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:
>Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 01:50:46 -0800, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> And I don't remember Miche as
>>>an old timer or even close to one. She only became apparent in the
>>>"miche" persona a *very* few years ago to me.

>> Both Miche and Tammy were posting before I got here. And I joined mid
>> year in 1994. And both Miche and Tammy will/can confirm that they
>> joined in 1994...and they have done so in the past. I remember them
>> vividly..as I do several other illustrious posters.

I became active in 1994 (had poked my nose in during the previous year)
and don't remember Miche not being here in RFC.

(IIRC Barb joined in '94 as well. Represent!!)

>I made my first post to this group in May 2005... IIRC, it had something
>to do with cooking lamb. Does that score me any (orgasmic) brownie
>points? Just curious.

No, but the good stuff you do does

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Don Martinich > wrote:

> I can't remember when I first posted here, but, I remember exchanging
> email with Susan Hattie. What year could that have been?
>
> D.M.

Before she died in January 1996.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller;
Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas - pictures 2-7-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 18:13:12 -0800, Don Martinich >
wrote:

>I can't remember when I first posted here, but, I remember exchanging
>email with Susan Hattie. What year could that have been?

That would have been before she died and she's been dead a long time.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 18:13:12 -0800, Don Martinich >
> wrote:
>
> >I can't remember when I first posted here, but, I remember exchanging
> >email with Susan Hattie. What year could that have been?

> That would have been before she died and she's been dead a long time.

She died in 1996. Here's her husband Andreas's tribute page:

http://andreas.com/susan/

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've been infesting this group for 20 years, maybe longer. I think my
first mischief on usenet was around 1987.

Here's a recipe for Buffalo wings that I posted in 1990.

<http://groups.google.is/group/rec.fo...ad/thread/bb72
cb805f9ab929/e6b1f51610785acf?q=%22eacj%22+rec.food.cooking>

The email address in that post has long since expired. Back in those
days, my usenet account required a login to a supercomputer in the
Cornell Theory Center (the infamous "Batcomputer").

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My first post was a reply to some guy named Moses who wanted a recipe to
cook two Gretaens. I suggested he roast them with onions, garlic and
rosemary but I really wasn't sure what Gretaens were. Some sort of
Peruvian chicken was my best guess.... and I love Peruvian chicken...
but that is another story.

Never heard back from him and for the life of me, I've never been able
to find any Gretaens.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>In article >,
> (Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> ChattyCathy > wrote:

>> I became active in 1994 (had poked my nose in during the previous year)
>> and don't remember Miche not being here in RFC.
>>
>> (IIRC Barb joined in '94 as well. Represent!!)
>>
>> >I made my first post to this group in May 2005... IIRC, it had something
>> >to do with cooking lamb. Does that score me any (orgasmic) brownie
>> >points? Just curious.

>> No, but the good stuff you do does
>>
>> Charlotte
>> --

>I've tracked myself back to 1996, but using different posting ID's.

I think back then you were "Katra" aka "Katrinka" of Tooneville
Trolley fame:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonerville_Folks

Miche was definitely here in the very early '90s.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 16:02:09 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>The year before
>wasn't as active with the same posters, which makes me wonder if 1994
>was the year when everyone joined???!! Or everyone of note, that
>is...LOL

Hey! I'm of note! ::stomping foot and throwing a hissy fit:: ... just
not in this newsgroup.

--
Zilbandy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> >I've tracked myself back to 1996, but using different posting ID's.

> I think back then you were "Katra" aka "Katrinka" of Tooneville
> Trolley fame: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonerville_Folks
>
> Miche was definitely here in the very early '90s.

"katra" was my first posting ID, yes.

My "real" e-mail address still reflects that.
I have well trained filters. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:

> >> I became active in 1994 (had poked my nose in during the previous year)
> >> and don't remember Miche not being here in RFC.
> >>
> >> (IIRC Barb joined in '94 as well. Represent!!)

> > About then. I'll never forget how I found out about Usenet and the guy
> > who hooked me up. Somewhere around '94 or '95. I've used more than one
> > name and address.

> I have a confirmed post from 1993, with others from '91-92.
>
> So that makes me 'older' than you.
>
> And you don't like it......... do you?

Petah, dahling, if you understood how little I care about who's been
here since whenever, I do believe you would be surprised. <grin>
A) I *am* curious to know exactly what it was that prompted your
disclosure of your first post of 1993. B) I doubt you're older than I
am; I'm just about older than dirt.

OB Food: "Oven-fried" chicken leg quarters for dinner tonight ‹ they're
on sale for 39 cents/lb. I'm thinking I'll make some dressing to
accompany it. Likely will boil some potatoes to mash, too. Gravy may
come from a packet mix. Cherry chutney on the side.

(Note to Blake: Thanks for your comment in the thread ‹ I would have
missed Petah's remarks without yours.)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas - pictures 2-7-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:51:12 GMT, PeterL2 wrote:
> > I have a confirmed post from 1993, with others from '91-92.
> >
> > So that makes me 'older' than you.
> >
> > And you don't like it......... do you?

> believe me, barbs's status here is not at all threatened by the likes of
> your ass.
>
> blake

ROFL! Want some candy, Little Boy? LOL!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas - pictures 2-7-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
pure kona > wrote:
> OT: Every time I see the heading for this thread I feel ...and I
> could be so wrong-- but shouldn't it say "Who's been posting here
> longer than WHOM?"
>
> aloha,
> Cea

That's funny, Cea. When I see it, I think, "Who *cares*? WTF
difference does it make about *anything*?"

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas - pictures 2-7-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> pure kona > wrote:
>> OT: Every time I see the heading for this thread I feel ...and I
>> could be so wrong-- but shouldn't it say "Who's been posting here
>> longer than WHOM?"
>>
>> aloha,
>> Cea

> That's funny, Cea. When I see it, I think, "Who *cares*? WTF
> difference does it make about *anything*?"

I can't remember yesterday very well, how the hell would I remember when
I first posted on rfc. I agree totally, what difference does it make,
are there bragging rights attached or did I miss that post?