Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pizza dough

I usually add olive oil (or bacon or sausage grease for veggie pizza) to
my pizza dough. Just wondering how it works to make the dough fat-free
and then top it with an oily sauce. I guess the edge would need to be
brushed with oil so it didn't dry out in the oven...

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I usually add olive oil (or bacon or sausage grease for veggie pizza) to
> my pizza dough. Just wondering how it works to make the dough fat-free
> and then top it with an oily sauce. I guess the edge would need to be
> brushed with oil so it didn't dry out in the oven...
>
> Bob

I don't normally have much oil in the dough itself, but I do use a multi
bake process. I brush the crust with olive oil, then it goes onto the
stone in the 500F+ oven for a few minutes to firm up and seal the crust.
When it starts to get lightly browned it comes out to be topped and then
goes back in the oven long enough to melt the cheese. The olive oil and
first bake seals the crust so sauce won't soak in and make it soggy. I
always do thin crust too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>I usually add olive oil (or bacon or sausage grease for veggie pizza) to my
>pizza dough. Just wondering how it works to make the dough fat-free and
>then top it with an oily sauce. I guess the edge would need to be brushed
>with oil so it didn't dry out in the oven...
>
> Bob

No matter how you make the dough, I've never heard of a fat free pizza.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2010 5:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> I usually add olive oil (or bacon or sausage grease for veggie pizza)
>> to my pizza dough. Just wondering how it works to make the dough
>> fat-free and then top it with an oily sauce. I guess the edge would
>> need to be brushed with oil so it didn't dry out in the oven...
>>
>> Bob

> No matter how you make the dough, I've never heard of a fat free pizza.
>
> Jill

I would hope not! This will probably have more fat than I usually make,
just not in the dough. (I'm gonna try it)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> "zxcvbob" wrote:
>>
>>> I usually add olive oil (or bacon or sausage grease for veggie pizza)
>>> to my pizza dough. Just wondering how it works to make the dough
>>> fat-free and then top it with an oily sauce. I guess the edge would
>>> need to be brushed with oil so it didn't dry out in the oven...

>> No matter how you make the dough, I've never heard of a fat free pizza.

>I would hope not! This will probably have more fat than I usually make,
>just not in the dough. (I'm gonna try it)

Yeabutt... dough alone does not a pizza make. You can make a low-fat
pizza but it's not possible to make a fat-free pizza. Even ordinary
AP wheat flour contains fat. And typically there's like 10 times
more fat in cheese than the measly Tbls of oil one adds to pizza
dough. You can certainly omit oil from pizza dough but its texture
will be too crisp rather than have the chewiness associated with pizza
crust.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...purpose-i20481

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 07:40:39 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>On 1/16/2010 5:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>> I usually add olive oil (or bacon or sausage grease for veggie pizza)
>>> to my pizza dough. Just wondering how it works to make the dough
>>> fat-free and then top it with an oily sauce. I guess the edge would
>>> need to be brushed with oil so it didn't dry out in the oven...
>>>
>>> Bob

>> No matter how you make the dough, I've never heard of a fat free pizza.
>>
>> Jill

>I would hope not! This will probably have more fat than I usually make,
>just not in the dough. (I'm gonna try it)

Why do you want an oily edge? Maybe I'm missing the point, but I make
pizza a lot and can't understand what you're trying to ask.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 15, 6:47*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I usually add olive oil (or bacon or sausage grease for veggie pizza) to
> my pizza dough. *Just wondering how it works to make the dough fat-free
> and then top it with an oily sauce. *I guess the edge would need to be
> brushed with oil so it didn't dry out in the oven...
>
> Bob

Part of the flavor of your pizza crust is the oil. You would have a
pretty tasteless pizza without the oil.
Here's the best pizza dough recipe I've found. It is versatile
enough to make a thick crust, a thin crust, calzones or
even a good foccacia type flat bread. Try it out.

http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php?o...eads&Itemid=56
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

> I usually add olive oil (or bacon or sausage grease for veggie pizza) to
> my pizza dough. Just wondering how it works to make the dough fat-free
> and then top it with an oily sauce. I guess the edge would need to be
> brushed with oil so it didn't dry out in the oven...

The dough mixture of pizza napoletana is not supposed to contain any
oil, which, among other things, is what distinguishes it from pizza
romana. So, it works very well indeed.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I usually add olive oil (or bacon or sausage grease for veggie pizza)
> to my pizza dough. Just wondering how it works to make the dough
> fat-free and then top it with an oily sauce. I guess the edge would
> need to be brushed with oil so it didn't dry out in the oven...

You'll be losing some crispiness in favor of some tenderness. Try it with no
fears.
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:28:14 +0100, "ViLco" >
wrote:

>zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> I usually add olive oil (or bacon or sausage grease for veggie pizza)
>> to my pizza dough. Just wondering how it works to make the dough
>> fat-free and then top it with an oily sauce. I guess the edge would
>> need to be brushed with oil so it didn't dry out in the oven...

>You'll be losing some crispiness in favor of some tenderness. Try it with no
>fears.

Crispy flavored pizza? That's a new one.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:25:51 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:28:14 +0100, "ViLco" >
>wrote:
>
>>zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>>> I usually add olive oil (or bacon or sausage grease for veggie pizza)
>>> to my pizza dough. Just wondering how it works to make the dough
>>> fat-free and then top it with an oily sauce. I guess the edge would
>>> need to be brushed with oil so it didn't dry out in the oven...

>>You'll be losing some crispiness in favor of some tenderness. Try it with no
>>fears.

>Crispy flavored pizza? That's a new one.

Crispness in FAVOR. T many 2nis, eh? <G>

Pizza dough Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 19 08-09-2011 02:31 AM
Pizza Dough No.3 Piedmont[_5_] General Cooking 2 21-03-2009 02:04 AM
pizza dough that can be kept? stryped[_2_] General Cooking 18 29-10-2008 03:46 AM
Pizza Dough Roger Baking 47 16-06-2005 07:39 PM
I need help with my pizza dough! Marc General Cooking 38 26-02-2004 01:30 AM