Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT crockpots

Hi all-
I think this has been discussed before, but I would like to upgrade my
old crockpot. I have an older Rival w/ removable round crock and only
high/low/off on the controls. It does ok, but it gets really hot on the
outside.

Do the newer crockpots get just as hot as the older ones on the outside?
What is the favored brand of regular crockpot users?

Thanks for your input.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kafirlily" <" "> wrote in message ...
> Hi all-
> I think this has been discussed before, but I would like to upgrade my old
> crockpot. I have an older Rival w/ removable round crock and only
> high/low/off on the controls. It does ok, but it gets really hot on the
> outside.
>
> Do the newer crockpots get just as hot as the older ones on the outside?
> What is the favored brand of regular crockpot users?
>
> Thanks for your input.

The new ones have high, low and warm settings. Some even come with timers
to switch the temperature settings automatically.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kafirlily wrote:
> Hi all-
> I think this has been discussed before, but I would like to upgrade my
> old crockpot. I have an older Rival w/ removable round crock and only
> high/low/off on the controls. It does ok, but it gets really hot on the
> outside.
>
> Do the newer crockpots get just as hot as the older ones on the outside?
> What is the favored brand of regular crockpot users?
>
> Thanks for your input.

I recently bought a "Kitchen Kettle" made by Presto. This thing is like
a crock pot on steroids. It can hold any temperature between about 150f
and 400f. This means that you can make rice in it, cook stews, brown
meat, make popcorn and also deep fry. Because of the fine temperature
control you can use it to cook long and slow like any crock pot. OTOH
when you need heat the 1400 watts warms it up fast. It comes with a
steamer basket, and removable controls. You can totally immerse the unit
in water or put it in the dishwasher. It is coated internally with
nonstick stuff like Teflon. IMO this thing replaces a rice cooker, crock
pot, steamer and a fry daddy. I just love it. It is not insulated, so it
does get hot on the outside. About $25.00 at WalMart.

EJ in NJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:05:34 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"kafirlily" <" "> wrote in message ...
>> Hi all-
>> I think this has been discussed before, but I would like to upgrade my old
>> crockpot. I have an older Rival w/ removable round crock and only
>> high/low/off on the controls. It does ok, but it gets really hot on the
>> outside.
>>
>> Do the newer crockpots get just as hot as the older ones on the outside?
>> What is the favored brand of regular crockpot users?
>>
>> Thanks for your input.
>>

>The new ones have high, low and warm settings. Some even come with timers
>to switch the temperature settings automatically.
>
>Jill

Not five minutes ago turned my Rival on to cook steel cut oats for the
week... only 6ºF out there now, oatmeal will be good.

Got this one: http://tinyurl.com/6b82wl
http://www.amazon.com/Countdown-Smar...ainless-Cooker....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:05:34 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>"kafirlily" <" "> wrote in message ...
>>> Hi all-
>>> I think this has been discussed before, but I would like to upgrade my
>>> old
>>> crockpot. I have an older Rival w/ removable round crock and only
>>> high/low/off on the controls. It does ok, but it gets really hot on the
>>> outside.
>>>
>>> Do the newer crockpots get just as hot as the older ones on the outside?
>>> What is the favored brand of regular crockpot users?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your input.
>>>

>>The new ones have high, low and warm settings. Some even come with timers
>>to switch the temperature settings automatically.
>>
>>Jill

> Not five minutes ago turned my Rival on to cook steel cut oats for the
> week... only 6ºF out there now, oatmeal will be good.
>
> Got this one: http://tinyurl.com/6b82wl
> http://www.amazon.com/Countdown-Smar...ainless-Cooker....

Yep, that's like the one I have. It's chilly here in the southeast, too.
Not supposed to get down in the 20's here but it's doing it!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

EJ wrote:

> I recently bought a "Kitchen Kettle" made by Presto. This thing is like a
> crock pot on steroids. It can hold any temperature between about 150f and
> 400f. This means that you can make rice in it, cook stews, brown meat,
> make popcorn and also deep fry. Because of the fine temperature control
> you can use it to cook long and slow like any crock pot. OTOH when you
> need heat the 1400 watts warms it up fast. It comes with a steamer
> basket, and removable controls. You can totally immerse the unit in water
> or put it in the dishwasher. It is coated internally with nonstick stuff
> like Teflon. IMO this thing replaces a rice cooker, crock pot, steamer and
> a fry daddy. I just love it. It is not insulated, so it does get hot on
> the outside. About $25.00 at WalMart.

Thanks for the information! A few weeks ago, I saw Rick Bayless's daughter
browning pork for a tinga in a slow cooker and I wondered what brand could
get the temperature high enough to do that. (After browning, the temperature
was turned way down for the rest of the cooking.) It sounds like that
appliance would be great for braising or gumbos, too.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Sun 10 Jan 2010 09:07:48p, EJ Willson wrote in rec.food.cooking
> m>:
>
>> I recently bought a "Kitchen Kettle" made by Presto. This thing
>> is like a crock pot on steroids. It can hold any temperature
>> between about 150f and 400f. This means that you can make rice
>> in it, cook stews, brown meat, make popcorn and also deep fry.
>> Because of the fine temperature control you can use it to cook
>> long and slow like any crock pot. OTOH when you need heat the
>> 1400 watts warms it up fast. It comes with a steamer basket,
>> and removable controls. You can totally immerse the unit in
>> water or put it in the dishwasher. It is coated internally with
>> nonstick stuff like Teflon. IMO this thing replaces a rice
>> cooker, crock pot, steamer and a fry daddy. I just love it. It
>> is not insulated, so it does get hot on the outside. About
>> $25.00 at WalMart.
>>

> That sounds just like one I used to have. Just don't cook anything
> acidic in it. The interior of mine was ruined by cooking something
> with vinegar or tomato.

I've had a similar Presto product for years and would strongly recommend it.
However it's not a crockpot. It's a great french fryer. Cast aluminum can't
do what the ceramic crockpot does. The constant temp. isn't there; all of
the heat comes directly from the bottom. Heat leaks out the top. The ceramic
container insulates, doesn't care where the heat source is, and holds at a
constant temperature much better than a cast aluminum product will..

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> On Sun 10 Jan 2010 09:07:48p, EJ Willson wrote in rec.food.cooking
>> m>:
>>
>>> I recently bought a "Kitchen Kettle" made by Presto. This thing
>>> is like a crock pot on steroids. It can hold any temperature
>>> between about 150f and 400f. This means that you can make rice
>>> in it, cook stews, brown meat, make popcorn and also deep fry.
>>> Because of the fine temperature control you can use it to cook
>>> long and slow like any crock pot. OTOH when you need heat the
>>> 1400 watts warms it up fast. It comes with a steamer basket,
>>> and removable controls. You can totally immerse the unit in
>>> water or put it in the dishwasher. It is coated internally with
>>> nonstick stuff like Teflon. IMO this thing replaces a rice
>>> cooker, crock pot, steamer and a fry daddy. I just love it. It
>>> is not insulated, so it does get hot on the outside. About
>>> $25.00 at WalMart.
>>>

>> That sounds just like one I used to have. Just don't cook anything
>> acidic in it. The interior of mine was ruined by cooking something
>> with vinegar or tomato.
>>

> I've had a similar Presto product for years and would strongly recommend it.
> However it's not a crockpot. It's a great french fryer. Cast aluminum can't
> do what the ceramic crockpot does. The constant temp. isn't there; all of
> the heat comes directly from the bottom. Heat leaks out the top. The ceramic
> container insulates, doesn't care where the heat source is, and holds at a
> constant temperature much better than a cast aluminum product will..
>
> Kent

I hear what you are saying, and you are correct. Moreover this unit has
a very good thermostat, which holds the "set" temperature very well,
although it does go up and down somewhat. It has been more than adequate
for my purposes. I really appreciate the short warm up time which is not
there on either of the two crock pots I own. Set properly the Presto
will heat to boiling, then shut down and heat to boiling again in about
one minute cycles. This is good enough for me. As with both my crock
pots the heat does come from the bottom.

The temp control on my unit is remarkable. Today I made 10 cups of white
rice. I normally set the unit to just simmer/boil and turn it off in
fifteen minutes..perfect rice. Today I forgot to turn it off for an
entire hour. results, slightly overcooked rice, but no burning/sticking
like I got with the Crockpot during a similar experiment. The Crockpot
took longer to cook the rice, and severely burned the rice on the bottom.

EJ in NJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A little over a year ago, I discovered that the *new* "Crock Pot"
brand slow cookers made by Rival get waaay too hot. It scorched
pulled pork on low- there was a ring of burnt black meat around the
inside of the pot. Google search this same newsgroup and you'll read
similar stories about Rivals purchased since the mid-90s; the one that
sticks in my head is "we put in a unit of beans in preparation for a
superbowl party. It burned them on WARM.... the beans and the crock
pot both went in the trash".

I returned the Rival and replaced it with a Hamilton Beach Stay n Go
(with the lid you can clamp down). I've never locked the lid and
taken it anywhere, but for all your str8 up slow cooking needs, it is
exactly what I wanted, and I use it almost weekly as a busy college
student. It has Warm, Low and Hi settings via an old-fashioned knob
on the front, and was one of the best $25 I spent on kitchen
equipment. Both devices were 4.5qt, also.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kafirlily wrote:
> Hi all-
> I think this has been discussed before, but I would like to upgrade my
> old crockpot. I have an older Rival w/ removable round crock and only
> high/low/off on the controls. It does ok, but it gets really hot on the
> outside.
>
> Do the newer crockpots get just as hot as the older ones on the outside?
> What is the favored brand of regular crockpot users?
>
> Thanks for your input.

I would not replace that Rival with a newer Rival. I had a recent model
and I was not alone with the problem of the temperature running very
high. It boiled liquid on "warm" which should have been a holding
temperature.

I finally threw it in the trash with the beans it burned and replaced it
with a Hamilton Beach of which I am quite fond.

I had older Rivals that were fine, but the new one I got as a gift in 05
was horrid.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

phaeton wrote:
> A little over a year ago, I discovered that the *new* "Crock Pot"
> brand slow cookers made by Rival get waaay too hot. It scorched
> pulled pork on low- there was a ring of burnt black meat around the
> inside of the pot. Google search this same newsgroup and you'll read
> similar stories about Rivals purchased since the mid-90s; the one that
> sticks in my head is "we put in a unit of beans in preparation for a
> superbowl party. It burned them on WARM.... the beans and the crock
> pot both went in the trash".
>
> I returned the Rival and replaced it with a Hamilton Beach Stay n Go
> (with the lid you can clamp down). I've never locked the lid and
> taken it anywhere, but for all your str8 up slow cooking needs, it is
> exactly what I wanted, and I use it almost weekly as a busy college
> student. It has Warm, Low and Hi settings via an old-fashioned knob
> on the front, and was one of the best $25 I spent on kitchen
> equipment. Both devices were 4.5qt, also.

I could have written that, but I'm not a college student. It was exactly
my experience. Bad Rival Crock Pot - wonderful Hamilton Beach Stay and Go.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> kafirlily wrote:
>> Hi all-
>> I think this has been discussed before, but I would like to upgrade my
>> old crockpot. I have an older Rival w/ removable round crock and only
>> high/low/off on the controls. It does ok, but it gets really hot on the
>> outside.
>>
>> Do the newer crockpots get just as hot as the older ones on the outside?
>> What is the favored brand of regular crockpot users?
>>
>> Thanks for your input.
>>

> I would not replace that Rival with a newer Rival. I had a recent model
> and I was not alone with the problem of the temperature running very high.
> It boiled liquid on "warm" which should have been a holding temperature.
>
> I finally threw it in the trash with the beans it burned and replaced it
> with a Hamilton Beach of which I am quite fond.
>
> I had older Rivals that were fine, but the new one I got as a gift in 05
> was horrid.

I had a Rival that did the same thing, I had to put something under it on
the counter, it finally stopped working less than a year after I got it. Do
not under any circumstances buy a kitchen-aid. They have a really bad
breaking pot problem. Mine broke the first time I used it. I loved my old
Hamilton Beach who had died after many years, so I bought that brand again.
It cost about $40. at Target and it is great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:38:58 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:05:34 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:

>>>The new ones have high, low and warm settings. Some even come with timers
>>>to switch the temperature settings automatically.
>>>
>>>Jill

>> Not five minutes ago turned my Rival on to cook steel cut oats for the
>> week... only 6ºF out there now, oatmeal will be good.
>>
>> Got this one: http://tinyurl.com/6b82wl
>> http://www.amazon.com/Countdown-Smar...ainless-Cooker....

>Yep, that's like the one I have.

I hadn't gone back to that site since I purchased mine so was
surprised at all the negative comments by those who reviewed it...
mine doesn't overheat, hasn't burned my oatmeal yet. But I can see
how any slow cooker (or any pot for that matter) can burn food when
it's cooking unwatched for many hours and doesn't contain enough
liquid. I suspect very few of those reviewers know anything about
cooking. I experimented with my steel cut oats recipe several times
before I got the ratio of oats to water and cooking time correct. All
the recipes I found on the net didn't contain nearly enough water,
they didn't burn but they sure produced a very thick/tough skined
oatmeal. Steel cut oats is thje only thing I use my slow cooker for,
I tried a couple of stews but they were awful, texture was way off and
was very bland... when I cook I need to be intimately involved,
constantly tasting, adding, stirring. If I wanted a pot of no
involvemet stew I'd use my slow cooker to heat a #10 tin of Dinty
Moore

>It's chilly here in the southeast, too.
>Not supposed to get down in the 20's here but it's doing it!

Right now it's a balmy 27ºF here, a virtual heat wave. You probably
don't even own cold weather clothing... you probably need to layer all
your tee shirts over three bras! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 02:32:59 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On Sun 10 Jan 2010 08:38:15p, kafirlily wrote in rec.food.cooking
>:
>
>> Hi all-
>> I think this has been discussed before, but I would like to
>> upgrade my old crockpot. I have an older Rival w/ removable
>> round crock and only high/low/off on the controls. It does ok,
>> but it gets really hot on the outside.
>>
>> Do the newer crockpots get just as hot as the older ones on the
>> outside? What is the favored brand of regular crockpot users?
>>
>> Thanks for your input.
>>

>I have a fairly new Rival crock pot and it does get very hot on the
>outside. Lots of control options, but I am afraid to try cooking
>anything all day or night if I can't monitor it.

My crock pot gets kinda hot at the very bottom and since it really
hasn't legs, just little stumpy bumps (like someone we all know) I
was concerned about my countertop so I place the thing on a thick
wooden carving board. And since I only use my crock pot during cold
weather I actually welcome any heat it throws off into the room, same
as I do heat from any cooking during winter... same reason that during
hot summer weather I cook outdoors as much as possible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:38:58 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Not five minutes ago turned my Rival on to cook steel cut oats for the
>>> week... only 6ºF out there now, oatmeal will be good.
>>>
>>> Got this one: http://tinyurl.com/6b82wl
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Countdown-Smar...ainless-Cooker....

>>Yep, that's like the one I have.

> I hadn't gone back to that site since I purchased mine so was
> surprised at all the negative comments by those who reviewed it...
> mine doesn't overheat, hasn't burned my oatmeal yet. But I can see
> how any slow cooker (or any pot for that matter) can burn food when
> it's cooking unwatched for many hours and doesn't contain enough
> liquid. I suspect very few of those reviewers know anything about
> cooking. I experimented with my steel cut oats recipe several times
> before I got the ratio of oats to water and cooking time correct. All
> the recipes I found on the net didn't contain nearly enough water,
> they didn't burn but they sure produced a very thick/tough skined
> oatmeal. Steel cut oats is thje only thing I use my slow cooker for,
> I tried a couple of stews but they were awful, texture was way off and
> was very bland... when I cook I need to be intimately involved,
> constantly tasting, adding, stirring. If I wanted a pot of no
> involvemet stew I'd use my slow cooker to heat a #10 tin of Dinty
> Moore

I cooked a chuck roast not long ago and nearly used the crock pot. But I
wound up doing it on the stovetop in a covered skillet instead. I usually
brown the roast (not always) before I cook it so I figured why dirty two
things? But this last time I didn't add potatoes, carrots, etc. If I had
done that I probably would have used the crock pot. I also use it for
corned beef & cabbage, but that's only a couple of times a year. Now that
I'm back working I may use the crock pot to cook the second chuch roast I
have in the freezer. That's when it really comes in handy. Going to be
gone all day? That's when a crock pot is handy. Come home and dinner is
ready

>>It's chilly here in the southeast, too.
>>Not supposed to get down in the 20's here but it's doing it!

> Right now it's a balmy 27ºF here, a virtual heat wave. You probably
> don't even own cold weather clothing... you probably need to layer all
> your tee shirts over three bras! LOL

LOL not quite. And yes, I *do* own winter clothing. It got cold every
winter in West TN, at least for a few months. The Memphis area is infamous
for ice storms and that wonderful wintry sleet crap. Here in SC, not so
much, although it usually does get cold for a couple of months (Jan, Feb.)
I do wear shorts and tank tops in the house year round. And I have to sleep
with a fan running at night, but that is due more to my age than anything
else. <G> But hey, much of the country got smacked in the face with much
colder temps this month and the southeast is no exception.

Still, now that I've gone back to work I find I have to wear either pants
ensembles made of cotton that have sleeveless tops with a matching short
sleeved jacket, or sleeveless dresses with a matching short sleeved jacket.
And the jacket gets hung on the back of my chair. The two managers at the
office are very cold natured. My first day (1/4) I was sweating. It was in
the 40's outside but they had the heat cranked to nearly 80. It was so hot
in there I thought I was going to faint! You can always put on more
clothes, but there's only so much you can take off without being arrested
LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> EJ wrote:
>
>> I recently bought a "Kitchen Kettle" made by Presto. This thing is like a
>> crock pot on steroids. It can hold any temperature between about 150f and
>> 400f. This means that you can make rice in it, cook stews, brown meat,
>> make popcorn and also deep fry. Because of the fine temperature control
>> you can use it to cook long and slow like any crock pot. OTOH when you
>> need heat the 1400 watts warms it up fast. It comes with a steamer
>> basket, and removable controls. You can totally immerse the unit in water
>> or put it in the dishwasher. It is coated internally with nonstick stuff
>> like Teflon. IMO this thing replaces a rice cooker, crock pot, steamer
>> and
>> a fry daddy. I just love it. It is not insulated, so it does get hot on
>> the outside. About $25.00 at WalMart.

> Thanks for the information! A few weeks ago, I saw Rick Bayless's daughter
> browning pork for a tinga in a slow cooker and I wondered what brand could
> get the temperature high enough to do that. (After browning, the
> temperature
> was turned way down for the rest of the cooking.) It sounds like that
> appliance would be great for braising or gumbos, too.
>
> Bob

I've used one of these for 25 years, but only for deep frying. I suppose you
could saute in it, though it would be a pain to chase what you're sauteeing
on the bottom of the pan. For a braise, when you lift up the kettle to drain
the braise, you're lifting something with four feet and sockets on the
bottom. I just wouldn't feel like doing that. You could steam, if you can
find something to trap the steam as it rises through the food.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"I am Tosk" > wrote
> Yeah, we let ours run over night and turn it off in the morning. We turn
> it back on an hour or two before we eat. We don't usually eat however
> till about 9 pm at the earliest so we have time to watch it heat back
> up...

You're asking for food poisoning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>> EJ wrote:
>>
>>> I recently bought a "Kitchen Kettle" made by Presto. This thing is like a
>>> crock pot on steroids. It can hold any temperature between about 150f and
>>> 400f. This means that you can make rice in it, cook stews, brown meat,
>>> make popcorn and also deep fry. Because of the fine temperature control
>>> you can use it to cook long and slow like any crock pot. OTOH when you
>>> need heat the 1400 watts warms it up fast. It comes with a steamer
>>> basket, and removable controls. You can totally immerse the unit in water
>>> or put it in the dishwasher. It is coated internally with nonstick stuff
>>> like Teflon. IMO this thing replaces a rice cooker, crock pot, steamer
>>> and
>>> a fry daddy. I just love it. It is not insulated, so it does get hot on
>>> the outside. About $25.00 at WalMart.

>> Thanks for the information! A few weeks ago, I saw Rick Bayless's daughter
>> browning pork for a tinga in a slow cooker and I wondered what brand could
>> get the temperature high enough to do that. (After browning, the
>> temperature
>> was turned way down for the rest of the cooking.) It sounds like that
>> appliance would be great for braising or gumbos, too.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I've used one of these for 25 years, but only for deep frying. I suppose you
> could saute in it, though it would be a pain to chase what you're sauteeing
> on the bottom of the pan. For a braise, when you lift up the kettle to drain
> the braise, you're lifting something with four feet and sockets on the
> bottom. I just wouldn't feel like doing that. You could steam, if you can
> find something to trap the steam as it rises through the food.
>
> Kent

I don't understand your last comment. The "Kitchen Kettle" comes with a
steamer basket that works quite nicely. Could you be talking about the
smaller "fry daddy" model?

EJ in NJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 9:57*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "I am Tosk" > wrote
>
> > Yeah, we let ours run over night and turn it off in the morning. We turn
> > it back on an hour or two before we eat. We don't usually eat however
> > till about 9 pm at the earliest so we have time to watch it heat back
> > up...

> You're asking for food poisoning.

They may put in the fridge during the day. That's what I will do as I
don't feel comfortable with it cooking with nobody home. So, I will
cook it overnight, put it in the fridge, and then have it ready to use
when I got home. Usually, I am cooking meat for use in a recipe, so my
dinner isn't fully ready yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 13, 8:06*pm, "
> wrote:
> On Jan 12, 9:57*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > "I am Tosk" > wrote

> > > Yeah, we let ours run over night and turn it off in the morning. We turn
> > > it back on an hour or two before we eat. We don't usually eat however
> > > till about 9 pm at the earliest so we have time to watch it heat back
> > > up...

> > You're asking for food poisoning.

> They may put in the fridge during the day. That's what I will do as I
> don't feel comfortable with it cooking with nobody home.

Why?? Are you afraid that crockpot is going to jump off the counter
and run out the door?? Do you unplug your refrigerator before you
leave the house??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:55:11 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann
> wrote:

>On Jan 13, 8:06*pm, "
> wrote:
>> On Jan 12, 9:57*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>
>> > "I am Tosk" > wrote

>> > You're asking for food poisoning.

>> They may put in the fridge during the day. That's what I will do as I
>> don't feel comfortable with it cooking with nobody home.
>>

>Why?? Are you afraid that crockpot is going to jump off the counter
>and run out the door?? Do you unplug your refrigerator before you
>leave the house??

That's pretty much my attitude too, but hubby almost has a heart
attack if the washer/dryer or dishwasher are running when we leave.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 13, 8:06*pm, "
> wrote:
>

> Usually, I am cooking meat for use in a recipe, so my
> dinner isn't fully ready yet.

Wait a minute, wait a minute. What are you cooking in a crockpot that
is not meat that requires long, slow, low cooking?? Crockpots were
made, pretty much, for meats. If you are cooking vegetables in that
thing, save your time and put them on the stove with that meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 13, 6:55*pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
> On Jan 13, 8:06*pm, "
>
> > wrote:
> > On Jan 12, 9:57*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> > > "I am Tosk" > wrote

> > > You're asking for food poisoning.

> > They may put in the fridge during the day. That's what I will do as I
> > don't feel comfortable with it cooking with nobody home.

> Why?? *Are you afraid that crockpot is going to jump off the counter
> and run out the door?? *Do you unplug your refrigerator before you
> leave the house??

A couple reasons.

I have cats. They rarely ever go on the counter, but I don't normally
leave a nice smelling pot of meat to tempt them.

I'm also gone for 10 hours. Assuming I started it right when i leave,
and leave it on low, the meat would already be done, and possibly more
than I want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Jan 13, 6:55 pm, itsjoannotjoann > stupidly
sprayed:

>> Why?? Are you afraid that crockpot is going to jump off the counter
>> and run out the door?? Do you unplug your refrigerator before you
>> leave the house??

>A couple reasons.

>I have cats. They rarely ever go on the counter, but I don't normally
>leave a nice smelling pot of meat to tempt them.

>I'm also gone for 10 hours. Assuming I started it right when i leave,
>and leave it on low, the meat would already be done, and possibly more
>than I want.

No explanation necessary for me. Things get HOT in crockpost, and it is
totally insane to leave anything cooking while you are not at home, cats or
no. I don't leave washers or dryers on when I am not there either. The "do
you unplug everything when you leave" is an asinine attempt at analogy
because lights that are plugged in but not on do not generate heat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 13, 7:00*pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
> On Jan 13, 8:06*pm, "<fries...@zoocrewphoto. com> wrote:
>
> > Usually, I am cooking meat for use in a recipe, so my
> > dinner isn't fully ready yet.

> Wait a minute, wait a minute. *What are you cooking in a crockpot that
> is not meat that requires long, slow, low cooking?? *Crockpots were
> made, pretty much, for meats. *If you are cooking vegetables in that
> thing, save your time and put them on the stove with that meat.

I said I am cooking meat.....which I then use for a larger recipe- the
rest of it NOT being cooked in the crock pot.

So, if I am making a casserole that uses chicken, I cut up the
chicken, cook it in the crock pot, and then I have really juicy
chicken ready to put into the casserole.

Since I tend to wake up a few times over night, I can always check the
meat and put it in the fridge when done. Then, after work, I can make
the rest of the meal and toss the chicken in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 13, 11:52*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Jan 13, 6:55 pm, itsjoannotjoann > stupidly
> sprayed:
>

> >> Why?? Are you afraid that crockpot is going to jump off the counter
> >> and run out the door?? Do you unplug your refrigerator before you
> >> leave the house??

> >A couple reasons.
> >I have cats. They rarely ever go on the counter, but I don't normally
> >leave a nice smelling pot of meat to tempt them.
> >I'm also gone for 10 hours. Assuming I started it right when i leave,
> >and leave it on low, the meat would already be done, and possibly more
> >than I want.

> No explanation necessary for me. Things get HOT in crockpost, and it is
> totally insane to leave anything cooking while you are not at home, cats or
> no. I don't leave washers or dryers on when I am not there either. The "do
> you unplug everything when you leave" is an asinine attempt at analogy
> because lights that are plugged in but not on do not generate heat.

Nobody jerked your chain; it's not feeding time yet. Nothing was said
about unplugging lights.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:40:27 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann
> wrote:

>Nobody jerked your chain; it's not feeding time yet. Nothing was said
>about unplugging lights.

I have certain lights on timers. It doesn't matter if I'm home or
not, they switch on and off anyway.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:55:11 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann
> > wrote:
>
>>On Jan 13, 8:06 pm, "
> wrote:

>>> They may put in the fridge during the day. That's what I will do as I
>>> don't feel comfortable with it cooking with nobody home.
>>>

>>Why?? Are you afraid that crockpot is going to jump off the counter
>>and run out the door?? Do you unplug your refrigerator before you
>>leave the house??

> That's pretty much my attitude too, but hubby almost has a heart
> attack if the washer/dryer or dishwasher are running when we leave.

You married above yourself, sf. I am happy for your children. All it takes
is a busted hose to fill a basement with water. A malfunction in the dryer
or wiring and the whole house, your whole life goes up in flames, and what
doesn't is ruined by smoke and water. I unplug coffee pot, hairdryer,
everything not only when I leave but after I use the things. Alarm system's
connected to smoke detectors and Co2 detectors too. Otherwise I am not a
fearful person.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 7:38*pm, kafirlily <" "> wrote:
> Hi all-
> I think this has been discussed before, but I would like to upgrade my
> old crockpot. I have an older Rival w/ removable round crock and only
> high/low/off on the controls. It does ok, but it gets really hot on the
> outside.
>
> Do the newer crockpots get just as hot as the older ones on the outside?
> What is the favored brand of regular crockpot users?
>
> Thanks for your input.

What I want to know is why would anyone consider crockpots an off
topic subject on a cooking NG.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:55:11 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann
> wrote:
>
>>On Jan 13, 8:06*pm, "
> wrote:

>>> They may put in the fridge during the day. That's what I will do as I
>>> don't feel comfortable with it cooking with nobody home.
>>>

>>Why?? Are you afraid that crockpot is going to jump off the counter
>>and run out the door?? Do you unplug your refrigerator before you
>>leave the house??

>That's pretty much my attitude too, but hubby almost has a heart
>attack if the washer/dryer or dishwasher are running when we leave.

Your husband is more intelligent than you... but that's not hard to
be.

Those appliances present a very serious danger; dryer lint can and
does ignite, it will burn your house down... many folks have left home
to go shopping leaving their dryer running, they've returned a few
hours later to a pile of ashes... had they gone to bed there'd be a
good chance they'd never wake up. Washer fill hoses are known to
burst creating horrendous water damage. No one should leave home or
go to bed at night with their washer or dryer running... in fact the
valves to the washer fill hoses should always be closed whenever the
machine is not in use. It's not enough to clean the dryer lint
screen, the entirety of the dryer lint ducts should be brushed and
vacuumed regularly... there are inexpensive flexible brushes and
attachments for vacuum cleaners that can do this effortlessly. Clear
lint/exhaust ducts will also save energy dollars, far more than the
cost of those brushes and vacuum atachments... with clear ducts the
clothes will dry in like half the time of when they're loaded with
lint. Most folks never clean more than the lint screen over the
entire life of the dryer... they're begging for a fire.

All appliances present a level of risk, use common sense. Being a
long time landlord I've dealt with every appliance disaster
imaginable... very few tenants possess any common sense and none
demonstrate any responsibility, thats why they're tenants. I carry
very good landlord's insurance on my rentals but I can't cover
tenant's possessions, only they can do that, so I implore all to
secure renter's insurance, in fact I include that stipulation in their
lease or rental agreement... they all say they will comply but very
few do, and even if they initially buy insurance they will let it
lapse almost immediately when the monthy premium bills arrive... many
don't even keep their auto insurance current. I've had a few lose
every valuable they own (fire, flood, theft) and a couple found
themselves homeless, burned the house down... one left a turkey
roasting in the oven while they went out visiting on Thanksgiving
(grease fire, used a disposable aluminum pan, it leaked grease out
onto the floor, slobs never cleaned the stove and so when it ignited
the house burned down quickly), lost their practically brand new
uninsured pick up truck too. Another tenant (a medical doctor yet,
pinhead) took his family out of town between Christmas and New Years
and turned the heat down to 50º thinking to save a few bucks worth of
heating fuel... well the temps in NY dove to 4º for a couple days and
every pipe in the house burst, as it wormed up the basement flooded to
the sill, the second floor collapsed and so did the first floor from
the weight of the water, adn then the temps dove again adn teh intire
house became an igloo, the house was uninhabitable. And I tell every
tenant several times each year that if they are going to be away for
more than two days, especially during winter, to please let me know so
I can keep a check on the dwelling, but they never do, they ooze out
like the slime they are. I lost nothing, they lost everything. My
insurance covered the dwellings, you can't insure the land.
Immediately I put the land on the market... with what I got from the
insurance company through my private insurance adjuster and on the
sale of the property I came out with a nifty profit. My insurance
besides paying my property loss in full also pays me the loss of rent
for up to a year and will pay to put the tenant up in some fleabag
motel for like six months. Renter's insurance is very inexpensive,
like $20/month will more than cover all their possessions plus an
amount equal to their rent for up to a year, but very few will buy it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 21:47:08 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Jan 13, 6:55*pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
>> On Jan 13, 8:06*pm, "
>>
>> > wrote:

>> > They may put in the fridge during the day. That's what I will do as I
>> > don't feel comfortable with it cooking with nobody home.

>> Why?? *Are you afraid that crockpot is going to jump off the counter
>> and run out the door?? *Do you unplug your refrigerator before you
>> leave the house??

>A couple reasons.
>
>I have cats. They rarely ever go on the counter, but I don't normally
>leave a nice smelling pot of meat to tempt them.

I have cats too. But cats are not stupid, they can sense that
something is too hot for them to approach better than you can. My
cats are free to go wherever they like, they go on the counter tops
often but none have ever gone near the stove, my crockpot, coffee
maker, or toaster when they're hot... they won't even get too close to
a chicken right out of the oven... but once it cools all bets are off
And if your cats are different from all others then nothing is
preventing you from setting up your crockpot to cook in say your
bathroom and close the door... may even make yer terlit smell decent!
hehe

>I'm also gone for 10 hours. Assuming I started it right when i leave,
>and leave it on low, the meat would already be done, and possibly more
>than I want.

Well, that's not a safety issue, that's a TIAD issue... I don't know
why anyone would actually cook a meal in a crockpot... it's good for
cooking steel cut oats, and it will make a nice chaffing dish for
keeping food hot on a buffet, but any dish cooked in a crockpot you
can bet your bippee will turn out TIAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:38:15 -0600, kafirlily <" "> wrote:

>Hi all-
>I think this has been discussed before, but I would like to upgrade my
>old crockpot. I have an older Rival w/ removable round crock and only
>high/low/off on the controls. It does ok, but it gets really hot on the
>outside.
>
>Do the newer crockpots get just as hot as the older ones on the outside?
>What is the favored brand of regular crockpot users?
>
>Thanks for your input.

The Rival crockpots I had were cheaply made, broke within a year under
minimal usage, and *** best used as a room heater!***

Moved on to Hamilton Beach.

Cats and Crockpots Arri London General Cooking 13 13-10-2008 05:11 PM
Crockpots don't work... Little Malice General Cooking 37 04-10-2006 06:48 AM
Rival Crockpots. sandy General Cooking 9 18-08-2004 04:22 AM
Dueling Crockpots The Ranger Mexican Cooking 1 05-01-2004 03:24 AM
are all crockpots huge? abdul rahim General Cooking 26 03-12-2003 04:55 AM