Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What To Serve With Stuffed Peppers?

I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.

I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
American thing?

Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

TIA,

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>
> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
> American thing?
>
> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>
> TIA,
>
> Lou

Since stuffed peppers typically include vegetable, meat and grain all in
one, they are really rather complete by themselves. A side of pasta
would tend to compete with rice in the stuffing as a starch. A salad
would be a bit redundant with whole peppers. Possibly a soup and some
good bread as the only sides?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" schrieb :

> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>
> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
> American thing?

No, stuffed peppers are a well known Austrian/Hungarian dish, too.
If you've got rice, tomatos, tomato paste, garlic, onion, parsley and
majoram (plus beefstock) ...
If you need a recipe, just holler (and tell me how the bulk Italian
sausage is flavored).

> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>
> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
> American thing?
>
> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>
> TIA,
>
> Lou

Never thought of it as being an Italian thing, Lou. Mom made them and
stuffed them with the same mixture as she used for holubky (cabbage
rolls) -- ground beef, rice, onions, seasonings, cooked atop the stove
with tomato juice poured over.

I'd enjoy most any starch with them -- potatoes (diced and fried?),
halushky, gnocchi. I don't see a spaghetti noodle with them, though.
Got any pirohy on hand? That'd be good, too. Green salad. Cole slaw?
We know I'm not a gourmet cook; my tastes are pretty simple and basic.
Some good rye bread would be nice.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 12/28/2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2010 12:51, Lou Decruss wrote:

> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>
> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
> American thing?
>
> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>
> TIA,
>
> Lou

I don't think there is anything Italian about stuffed peppers. There are
either the European versions or the Middle Eastern versions.

Its pretty much a complete meal since it has meat, starch and vegetable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jan 9, 9:51 am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>
> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
> American thing?
>
> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

Peppers stuffed with a sausage, rice, onion, tomato, etc. mixture are
pretty self sufficient. Make a little extra rice, and focus on a
dessert for her birthday. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:

> In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
> > I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
> > stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
> > American thing?

> I think it's an everyone thing. My family is from Saudi Arabia, but
> we don't make it at all the way I've seen other recipes for stuffed
> peppers. We use ground beef or lamb, rice, parsley, onion, garlic,
> cumin, coriander, salt and pepper and stuff the peppers with that.

Meat, rice and seasonings stuffed into the pepper is very much the same
as they are done in many regions. The exact meat and seasoning vary, but
the fundamentals of the dish are very much the same all over.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 2:21*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On *9-Jan-2010, Lou Decruss > wrote:

> with butter and lemon pepper. *Apple and cheese for dessert, maybe.

I would prefer something more special for my birthday dessert than
apple and cheese.

Stuffed Peppers and a beautiful tossed salad...fresh dinner roll, an
Merlot would be good....followed by my personal favorite, chocolate
cake and coffee with Bailey's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message

> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>
> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
> American thing?
>
> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>
> TIA,
>
> Lou

Salad
Garlic Bread
A nice red wine

fruit & cheese & coffee after dinner

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message

> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>
> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
> American thing?
>
> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>
> TIA,
>
> Lou

I suggest serving in courses as that would avoid what to have with the
peppers. For presentation on the plate, I would place the pepper on some
additional rice with sauce overall. And definitely end with a killer
dessert. Something nice and rich. Start with cheese and apples and a
crusty bread. Not too much. Get a really nice wine.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss > wrote:

>Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
>American thing?

I tend to think of them as eastern Mediterranean or
eastern European more than Italian. (Unless they are
stuffed with fish or shellfish, in which case I think
of them as Spanish, Catalan or Basque).

However I have seen them in Italy.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 11:51:50 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
>made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
>make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
>I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
>store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
>gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>
>I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
>stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
>American thing?

Anything peppers (all kinds of peppers) is definitely Americas. What
to serve with stuffed peppers is based on with what your stuffing
contains. Most folks stuff peppers with a meat n' rice combo and
include a sauce... really only needs a salad, beverage, n' dessert. If
you omit the rice (as I do) then you may serve a starch with your
meat and vegetable dish... with stuffed peppers I happen to like a
garden salad and/or three bean salad served with potato salad... I
prepare potato salad often, I don't think of it as company or picnic
fare. Btw, the potato is Americas too. There really isn't much
attributed to Italy. The Eyetalians are all the time attempting to
hijack, but then they do excel in pickpocketing and whoring.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message

> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>
> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
> American thing?
>
> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

Green salad and a big old bottle of Chianti should do nicely.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>
> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
> American thing?

I don't think it's Italian. Every response I've read to this thread
assumes rice in the stuffing. That's how we make them, but if you
don't, then that certainly affects what to have with it. We stuff ours
with hamburger, rice and a little onion. It is flavored with chili
powder and there is tomato sauce. For that, we find that corn goes well
with it.

> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

That's sweet of you, Lou. It's not every day that a woman turns 29.

:-) (evil laugh)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 12:34:49 -0600, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
>> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
>> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
>> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
>> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
>> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>>
>> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
>> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
>> American thing?
>>
>> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Lou

>Since stuffed peppers typically include vegetable, meat and grain all in
>one, they are really rather complete by themselves. A side of pasta
>would tend to compete with rice in the stuffing as a starch. A salad
>would be a bit redundant with whole peppers. Possibly a soup and some
>good bread as the only sides?

Thanks to you and everyone else who responded. Seems bread is the
winner so I've got a loaf going and I'm going to make a gorgonzola
sauce. Should be a nice simple dinner.

Thanks to all.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> Thanks to you and everyone else who responded. Seems bread is the
> winner so I've got a loaf going and I'm going to make a gorgonzola
> sauce. Should be a nice simple dinner.

One of my favorite winter comfort foods. I haven't made stuffed
peppers in a bit so you've given me the bug.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> Thanks to you and everyone else who responded. Seems bread is the
>> winner so I've got a loaf going and I'm going to make a gorgonzola
>> sauce. Should be a nice simple dinner.

> One of my favorite winter comfort foods. I haven't made stuffed
> peppers in a bit so you've given me the bug.

Ooops, and I forgot to say Happy Birthday to Louise.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 00:49:10 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On Sat 09 Jan 2010 06:27:03p, Lou Decruss wrote in rec.food.cooking
> :
>

>> Thanks to you and everyone else who responded. Seems bread is the
>> winner so I've got a loaf going and I'm going to make a gorgonzola
>> sauce. Should be a nice simple dinner.
>>
>> Thanks to all.

>Probably too late now, but birthdays are for favorites. To me, it
>doesn't matter if "it goes with". A favorite soup, a favorite bread,
>etc. Happy Birthday to your wife.

Yeah to late now, but since it was a birthday... here's a cake I found
today. http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/07/best-birthday-cake/

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 19:01:58 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> Thanks to you and everyone else who responded. Seems bread is the
>> winner so I've got a loaf going and I'm going to make a gorgonzola
>> sauce. Should be a nice simple dinner.

>One of my favorite winter comfort foods. I haven't made stuffed
>peppers in a bit so you've given me the bug.
>
>nancy

Usually I'm the one getting inspired by what I read here. Many
mornings I'll sit down here with a cup of coffee with no plans for
dinner and I'll read something and the plan is made. <g>

These turned out really well although it seems there's nothing
authentic about them. Authenticity isn't important to me as long as
whatever I make tastes good. I've only made stuffed peppers a few
times and never with Italian sausage. Along with the rice and sausage
there was peccorino and mozzarella, onion and garlic. I didn't add
any additional spices as I figured my sausage had plenty and I was
right. As per the recipe I roughly followed I parboiled the peppers
for 5 minutes but they actually could have gone about two more
minutes. That would be the only flaw in the outcome. The birthday
girl said she would prefer red sauce over gorgonzola so I topped the
peppers with some and put the rest in the baking dish. It worked out
perfectly. The french bread also came out perfect. I've never
steamed the oven before and what a difference it made.

I'm really glad I asked here because I think I would have made way too
much food. The bread was just enough. We each had one pepper and
some bread and we were both stuffed.

Someone mentioned they didn't consider this a "company" meal and that
may be true but I'll say this was actually a very attractive and
flavorful meal. I had steaks, shrimp and other more "fancy" things to
work with but this was a change of pace. We had some great steaks
last Tuesday anyway. By the time you grind the meat, make and brown
the sausage, prepare the peppers, and make the bread it's actually a
fairly time consuming meal. She appreciated the gesture. And our
entertainment budget is shot so going out was not an option. I was
pushing the envelope with flowers.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 19:02:33 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>> Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks to you and everyone else who responded. Seems bread is the
>>> winner so I've got a loaf going and I'm going to make a gorgonzola
>>> sauce. Should be a nice simple dinner.

>> One of my favorite winter comfort foods. I haven't made stuffed
>> peppers in a bit so you've given me the bug.

>Ooops, and I forgot to say Happy Birthday to Louise.

<laugh> I'll tell her. Thanks.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sat 09 Jan 2010 06:27:03p, Lou Decruss wrote in rec.food.cooking
> :
>

>> Thanks to you and everyone else who responded. Seems bread is the
>> winner so I've got a loaf going and I'm going to make a gorgonzola
>> sauce. Should be a nice simple dinner.
>>
>> Thanks to all.

>Probably too late now, but birthdays are for favorites. To me, it
>doesn't matter if "it goes with". A favorite soup, a favorite bread,
>etc. Happy Birthday to your wife.

Thanks.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 19:35:51 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" schrieb :
>>
>> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
>> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
>> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
>> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
>> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
>> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>>
>> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
>> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
>> American thing?
>>

>No, stuffed peppers are a well known Austrian/Hungarian dish, too.
>If you've got rice, tomatos, tomato paste, garlic, onion, parsley and
>majoram (plus beefstock) ...
>If you need a recipe, just holler (and tell me how the bulk Italian
>sausage is flavored).

I made and froze the sausage a couple weeks ago and didn't really
follow a recipe. I printed out several and picked and chose. It's
heavy on fennel, basil, garlic, thyme and oregano.

Any recipe you've got I'd love to see if you're kind enough to post
it.

Thanks.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 12:43:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
>> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
>> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
>> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
>> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
>> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>>
>> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
>> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
>> American thing?
>>
>> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Lou

>Never thought of it as being an Italian thing, Lou. Mom made them and
>stuffed them with the same mixture as she used for holubky (cabbage
>rolls) -- ground beef, rice, onions, seasonings, cooked atop the stove
>with tomato juice poured over.

That's about how I had them growing up.

>I'd enjoy most any starch with them -- potatoes (diced and fried?),
>halushky, gnocchi. I don't see a spaghetti noodle with them, though.

I'm glad you and others said that. The bread was plenty.

Thanks for the reply.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 16:41:52 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article .com>,
> "Pete C." > wrote:
>
>> Meat, rice and seasonings stuffed into the pepper is very much the same
>> as they are done in many regions. The exact meat and seasoning vary, but
>> the fundamentals of the dish are very much the same all over

> I see mostly bread crumbs or rice with maybe a little meat. Ours is
>meat with a little rice. I have yet to see that, but perhaps the Polish
>make theirs that way.

I made these heavy on the sausage. The rice seemed to act as a binder
along with the cheese. I know it sounds weird and sheldon may yap
TIAD but they were delicious.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 16:46:27 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> I went and looked at your blog just now. 6 kids? Wow! Have you
>> figured how that keeps happening? <g>

> We have, indeed. :-)
>
>> Your squash and spinach bread
>> pudding looks divine! I also grabbed your Bleu Cheese Dressing
>> recipe. Everything looks good actually and I'll go back when I have
>> more time. Thanks. You're very ambitious.

> Thank you. I don't know if you saw my more recent post, but I will
>be taking a blogging break for a while. I've been doing so more
>sporadically lately anyway, and we have a lot on our plates at the
>moment. For instance trying to get our living room, dining room,
>hallway and bedroom painted in two days. And yes, I know it's not going
>to happen.

Painting in a house you live in is never easy. The commercials on tv
always show some young starry-eyed couple in and empty room admiring
their work and having so much fun doing it. They don't show the
realities like what a pita painting a ceiling is. Or the work of
sanding and patching the walls. Or the furniture in the middle of the
room covered in plastic. Or the paint drips on the carpet. Not to
mention kids running around knocking stuff over and the dog wagging
it's tail on the wet walls. Ugggg.

>There are a lot of recipes on the blog, though. I've tried to tag
>them all with recipes to make them easier to find.

I just looked for a few minutes and will return later. I did see you
had Hot Italian Giardinera on your relish try for Thanksgiving. I
thought that was hard to get outside the Chicago area. Do you
remember what brand you had? I love the stuff.

Good luck on the painting!

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 14:37:32 -0500, George >
wrote:

>On 1/9/2010 12:51, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
>> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
>> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
>> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
>> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
>> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>>
>> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
>> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
>> American thing?
>>
>> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Lou

>I don't think there is anything Italian about stuffed peppers. There are
>either the European versions or the Middle Eastern versions.
>
>Its pretty much a complete meal since it has meat, starch and vegetable.

Yep. It was complete. I'm glad I asked. Thanks.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 11:55:31 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

>On Jan 9, 9:51 am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
>> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
>> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
>> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
>> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
>> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>>
>> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
>> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
>> American thing?
>>
>> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>>

>Peppers stuffed with a sausage, rice, onion, tomato, etc. mixture are
>pretty self sufficient. Make a little extra rice, and focus on a
>dessert for her birthday. -aem

We're not much for desserts. Sometimes she'll have something but
usually not until later. I'll probably make something today.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 16:10:39 -0500, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 11:51:50 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>

>>I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
>>made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
>>make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
>>I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
>>store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
>>gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>>
>>I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
>>stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
>>American thing?
>>

>Anything peppers (all kinds of peppers) is definitely Americas. What
>to serve with stuffed peppers is based on with what your stuffing
>contains. Most folks stuff peppers with a meat n' rice combo and
>include a sauce... really only needs a salad, beverage, n' dessert. If
>you omit the rice (as I do) then you may serve a starch with your
>meat and vegetable dish... with stuffed peppers I happen to like a
>garden salad and/or three bean salad served with potato salad... I
>prepare potato salad often, I don't think of it as company or picnic
>fare. Btw, the potato is Americas too. There really isn't much
>attributed to Italy. The Eyetalians are all the time attempting to
>hijack, but then they do excel in pickpocketing and whoring.

You started your post out so nice but insisted on trashing it.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 22:02:37 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 09 Jan 2010 10:51:50a, Lou Decruss told us...
>

>> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
>> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
>> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
>> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
>> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
>> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>>
>> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
>> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
>> American thing?
>>
>> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Lou

>Mashed potatoes, using some of the sauce as gravy.

If I hadn't switched to a tomato sauce I'll bet that would have been
good. I had these peppers packed as full as I could without tearing
them so they were very filling. I'm not sure we could have eaten
anymore. <g>

Thanks.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" schrieb :
> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 19:35:51 +0100, "Michael Kuettner" wrote:

<snip>
>>No, stuffed peppers are a well known Austrian/Hungarian dish, too.
>>If you've got rice, tomatos, tomato paste, garlic, onion, parsley and
>>majoram (plus beefstock) ...
>>If you need a recipe, just holler (and tell me how the bulk Italian
>>sausage is flavored).

> I made and froze the sausage a couple weeks ago and didn't really
> follow a recipe. I printed out several and picked and chose. It's
> heavy on fennel, basil, garlic, thyme and oregano.
>
> Any recipe you've got I'd love to see if you're kind enough to post
> it.
>
> Thanks.

OK, here we go.

Gefüllte Paprika (stuffed bellpeppers)
(serves 4)

8 small bellpeppers or 4 large ones

The stuffing :

400 grams minced meat (hamburger)
1 small onion (50 g), finely diced
3 tblsp oil
200 g rice (cooked)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tblsp parsley, chopped
1.5 tsp majoram (dried)
salt, pepper

The sauce :

500 g tomatos, sliced
40 g butter
40 g flour
1/2 liter beef stock (bouillon)
1 tblsp tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 clove
a pinch sugar
salt, pepper

The sauce :
Heat butter, stir in the flour and let it take alittle color while stirring.
Add the bouillon and mix well with a whisk.
Stir in the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
Pass through a sieve and adjust salt, pepper and sugar.

Preheat oven to 200 deg C.

Roast the onion in the oil until glassy.
Mix with the rest of the ingredients. Fill peppers with the mix and
re-plug with the stem.
Pour the sauce in an oven proof dish and put the peppers in it.
Put it in the oven for ca. 40 minutes.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:54:17 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" schrieb :

>> Any recipe you've got I'd love to see if you're kind enough to post
>> it.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>OK, here we go.
>
>Gefüllte Paprika (stuffed bellpeppers)
>(serves 4)

<Snip-Save Recipe>

Thanks. That looks more like what I've had in the past.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" schrieb :
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:54:17 +0100, "Michael Kuettner" wrote:

<snip>
>>Gefüllte Paprika (stuffed bellpeppers)
>>(serves 4)

> <Snip-Save Recipe>
>
> Thanks. That looks more like what I've had in the past.

I forgot to mention : The tomatos should be ripe so that their
sweetness forms a nice contrast to the stuffed peppers.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 08:50:41 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 19:02:33 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:

>>> One of my favorite winter comfort foods. I haven't made stuffed
>>> peppers in a bit so you've given me the bug.

>>Ooops, and I forgot to say Happy Birthday to Louise.

> <laugh> I'll tell her. Thanks.
>
> Lou

i hope she has a long career at being twenty-nine.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:08:18 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>>>Mashed potatoes, using some of the sauce as gravy.

>> If I hadn't switched to a tomato sauce I'll bet that would have been
>> good. I had these peppers packed as full as I could without tearing
>> them so they were very filling. I'm not sure we could have eaten
>> anymore. <g>
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Lou
>>

>Sweet peppers of all colors seem to me much larger today than in my
>mother's day.

<shrug> I didn't pay much attention back then. I was in my 30's
before I cared about cooking. I got my ear pierced, took some design
classes, and started to learn about food all about the same time. I
wasn't dating either then so my mom said; "You're going *** on me are
you?" <snork>

>Splitting the peppers horizontically and heaping the halves
>with filling is also more common today.

Yes I've seen that. I did have to trim these a bit so they stood up.

>Decades ago it seems that many people (my mother included) sliced the top
>off the pepper, stuffed them to the top (but not heaping), and covered the top
>with butter crumbs.

That's what the recipes I looked at all said. I just added a few
spoons of breadcrumbs to the mix.

>The smaller size pepper worked well with some sort of side dish, and ours was
>usually mashed potatoes and green beans.

They both sound good but these were way too big for anything else.

>Even though her sauce was tomato
>based, we still some as a gravy over the potatoes. We also had bread.
>
>Your recipe was inspiring enough for me to buy peppers on my next shopping
>trip,

Red peppers can get expensive. This whole thing started out with a
shopping trip last Tuesday. There was a bag of eight good sized
beautiful bells in the used veggie section for $.79. I couldn't pass
that bargain up and planned on slicing them up and freezing most of
them. It's funny how a plan progresses.

>but for nostalgia's sake, I'll probably make them the way mom did.
>>:-)

Nothing wrong with that.

>Although, I've copied what you said you did and would like to try it
>sometime.

Let us know how you like it if you try it. When I said I roughly
followed the recipe it was an understatement. Rather than topping
with breadcrumbs I used the sauce. It said to bake in a dish with an
inch of water. I used sauce. It said to use cheddar and parmesan.
That seemed SOOO wrong so I used mozzarella and pecorino. I measured
nothing.

It seems what I threw together isn't done by many folks here and it
was nice to fly by the seat on may pants and be so pleased with the
results.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Jan 2010 16:21:08 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss >
: in rec.food.cooking

><snipola for space>
>
>> On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 22:02:37 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat 09 Jan 2010 10:51:50a, Lou Decruss told us...
>>>
>>>Mashed potatoes, using some of the sauce as gravy.

>> If I hadn't switched to a tomato sauce I'll bet that would have been
>> good. I had these peppers packed as full as I could without tearing
>> them so they were very filling. I'm not sure we could have eaten
>> anymore. <g>

>This is a bit late and I hope you had a good meal.

It was. Thanks.

> Happy belated B'day Lou.

It was Louise but thanks.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:40:13 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" schrieb :
>> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:54:17 +0100, "Michael Kuettner" wrote:

><snip>
>>>Gefüllte Paprika (stuffed bellpeppers)
>>>(serves 4)

>> <Snip-Save Recipe>
>>
>> Thanks. That looks more like what I've had in the past.
>>

>I forgot to mention : The tomatos should be ripe so that their
>sweetness forms a nice contrast to the stuffed peppers.

Thanks.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:54:57 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 08:50:41 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 19:02:33 -0500, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:

>>>Ooops, and I forgot to say Happy Birthday to Louise.

>> <laugh> I'll tell her. Thanks.
>>
>> Lou

>i hope she has a long career at being twenty-nine.

Thanks.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:34:39 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 10 Jan 2010 09:59:56a, Lou Decruss told us...
>
>>>Sweet peppers of all colors seem to me much larger today than in my
>>>mother's day.

>> <shrug> I didn't pay much attention back then. I was in my 30's
>> before I cared about cooking. I got my ear pierced, took some design
>> classes, and started to learn about food all about the same time. I
>> wasn't dating either then so my mom said; "You're going *** on me are
>> you?" <snork>

>Obviously not. :-)

What I found silly is that it would have been something done to her.
Typical guilt dispenser.

<snip>

>Great bargain! I rarely buy anything but green peppers because of the
>price, but I will buy red, yellow, or orange if they're on sale.

The prices are weird. We just stopped at the store for a few things
and I looked at the prices. Reds were $.98 and greens were $1.49.
Very odd. Usually it's the other way around by a big margin. I've
seen reds as high as $3.99. <ouch>

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> The prices are weird. We just stopped at the store for a few things
> and I looked at the prices. Reds were $.98 and greens were $1.49.
> Very odd. Usually it's the other way around by a big margin. I've
> seen reds as high as $3.99. <ouch>

I have my own personal theory on this. Red are more expensive because
they take longer to grow, are more fragile and have a shorter shelf life.

But since they have a shorter shelf life, what does the grocer do when
it getting towards the end of their life? Sell them off cheap! It
works on me. If I'm shopping for a green, and see that the red are
cheaper, I'll buy those instead.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Stuffed Peppers Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2006 04:58 AM
Stuffed Peppers CookiesFromItaly.com Recipes (moderated) 0 28-04-2005 03:40 AM
Stuffed Peppers Duckie ® Recipes 0 06-03-2005 06:08 AM
Stuffed Peppers Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 06-05-2004 01:51 AM