Old 09-01-2010, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What To Serve With Stuffed Peppers?

I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.

I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
American thing?

Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

TIA,

Lou

Old 09-01-2010, 07:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.

I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
American thing?

Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

TIA,

Lou

Since stuffed peppers typically include vegetable, meat and grain all in
one, they are really rather complete by themselves. A side of pasta
would tend to compete with rice in the stuffing as a starch. A salad
would be a bit redundant with whole peppers. Possibly a soup and some
good bread as the only sides?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" schrieb :

I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.

I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
American thing?

No, stuffed peppers are a well known Austrian/Hungarian dish, too.
If you've got rice, tomatos, tomato paste, garlic, onion, parsley and
majoram (plus beefstock) ...
If you need a recipe, just holler (and tell me how the bulk Italian
sausage is flavored).

Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Old 09-01-2010, 07:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Lou Decruss wrote:

I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.

I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
American thing?

Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

TIA,

Lou

Never thought of it as being an Italian thing, Lou. Mom made them and
stuffed them with the same mixture as she used for holubky (cabbage
rolls) -- ground beef, rice, onions, seasonings, cooked atop the stove
with tomato juice poured over.

I'd enjoy most any starch with them -- potatoes (diced and fried?),
halushky, gnocchi. I don't see a spaghetti noodle with them, though.
Got any pirohy on hand? That'd be good, too. Green salad. Cole slaw?
We know I'm not a gourmet cook; my tastes are pretty simple and basic.
Some good rye bread would be nice.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 12/28/2009
Old 09-01-2010, 08:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2010 12:51, Lou Decruss wrote:

I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.

I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
American thing?

Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

TIA,

Lou

I don't think there is anything Italian about stuffed peppers. There are
either the European versions or the Middle Eastern versions.

Its pretty much a complete meal since it has meat, starch and vegetable.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jan 9, 9:51 am, Lou Decruss wrote:
I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.

I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
American thing?

Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

Peppers stuffed with a sausage, rice, onion, tomato, etc. mixture are
pretty self sufficient. Make a little extra rice, and focus on a
dessert for her birthday. -aem
Old 09-01-2010, 09:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:

In article ,
Lou Decruss wrote:

I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
American thing?

I think it's an everyone thing. My family is from Saudi Arabia, but
we don't make it at all the way I've seen other recipes for stuffed
peppers. We use ground beef or lamb, rice, parsley, onion, garlic,
cumin, coriander, salt and pepper and stuff the peppers with that.

Meat, rice and seasonings stuffed into the pepper is very much the same
as they are done in many regions. The exact meat and seasoning vary, but
the fundamentals of the dish are very much the same all over.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 2:21*pm, "l, not -l" wrote:
On *9-Jan-2010, Lou Decruss wrote:

with butter and lemon pepper. *Apple and cheese for dessert, maybe.

I would prefer something more special for my birthday dessert than
apple and cheese.

Stuffed Peppers and a beautiful tossed salad...fresh dinner roll, an
Merlot would be good....followed by my personal favorite, chocolate
cake and coffee with Bailey's.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" wrote in message

I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.

I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
American thing?

Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

TIA,

Lou

Salad
Garlic Bread
A nice red wine

fruit & cheese & coffee after dinner

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" wrote in message

I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.

I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
American thing?

Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

TIA,

Lou

I suggest serving in courses as that would avoid what to have with the
peppers. For presentation on the plate, I would place the pepper on some
additional rice with sauce overall. And definitely end with a killer
dessert. Something nice and rich. Start with cheese and apples and a
crusty bread. Not too much. Get a really nice wine.
Janet

Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
American thing?

I tend to think of them as eastern Mediterranean or
eastern European more than Italian. (Unless they are
stuffed with fish or shellfish, in which case I think
of them as Spanish, Catalan or Basque).

However I have seen them in Italy.

Steve
Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 11:51:50 -0600, Lou Decruss
wrote:

I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.

I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
American thing?

Anything peppers (all kinds of peppers) is definitely Americas. What
to serve with stuffed peppers is based on with what your stuffing
contains. Most folks stuff peppers with a meat n' rice combo and
include a sauce... really only needs a salad, beverage, n' dessert. If
you omit the rice (as I do) then you may serve a starch with your
meat and vegetable dish... with stuffed peppers I happen to like a
garden salad and/or three bean salad served with potato salad... I
prepare potato salad often, I don't think of it as company or picnic
fare. Btw, the potato is Americas too. There really isn't much
attributed to Italy. The Eyetalians are all the time attempting to
hijack, but then they do excel in pickpocketing and whoring.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" wrote in message

I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.

I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
American thing?

Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

Green salad and a big old bottle of Chianti should do nicely.

Paul

Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Lou Decruss wrote:

I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.

I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
American thing?

I don't think it's Italian. Every response I've read to this thread
assumes rice in the stuffing. That's how we make them, but if you
don't, then that certainly affects what to have with it. We stuff ours
with hamburger, rice and a little onion. It is flavored with chili
powder and there is tomato sauce. For that, we find that corn goes well
with it.

Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.

That's sweet of you, Lou. It's not every day that a woman turns 29.

:-) (evil laugh)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 12:34:49 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Lou Decruss wrote:

[...]

Thanks to you and everyone else who responded. Seems bread is the
winner so I've got a loaf going and I'm going to make a gorgonzola
sauce. Should be a nice simple dinner.

Thanks to all.

Lou

Stuffed Peppers Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2006 04:58 AM
Stuffed Peppers CookiesFromItaly.com Recipes (moderated) 0 28-04-2005 03:40 AM
Stuffed Peppers Duckie Recipes 0 06-03-2005 06:08 AM
Stuffed Peppers Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 06-05-2004 01:51 AM