Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Green bean recipe using liquid smoke

Follow up on the liquid smoke thread, here is a nice, off the beaten
path use for liquid smoke.

Green beans and sauteed mushrooms in smoky bacon butter

1 lb green beans
3 slices bacon
1/2 stick butter or margarine
3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
2 Tbsp minced shallots
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp liquid smoke, divided
6 oz thin sliced mushrooms

Cut tips of green beans, and into bite sized pieces (if desired). Place
in steamer and steam until tender.

In a large skillet, cook bacon. When bacon is done to desired
crispness, remove to small plate to cool. Recover any bacon grease
dripped to plate back into skillet.

Add butter. When butter is almost melted, sprinkle in 1/2 tsp black
pepper. Add shallots and saute until the start to soften. Add sesame
seeds and saute for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle in 1/2 tsp liquid smoke and
stir to incorporate into butter blend. Add mushrooms and saute until
tender.

Crumble cooled bacon and add to skillet. Add remaining pepper and
liquid smoke to butter sauce and stir to incorporate. Immediately add
steamed green beans and toss to coat beans with butter sauce. Transfer
to serving dish.

Serves 4 with enough for seconds.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jt august wrote:
> Follow up on the liquid smoke thread, here is a nice, off the beaten
> path use for liquid smoke.
>

> Green beans and sauteed mushrooms in smoky bacon butter
>
> 1 lb green beans
> 3 slices bacon
> 1/2 stick butter or margarine
> 3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
> 2 Tbsp minced shallots
> 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
> 1 tsp liquid smoke, divided
> 6 oz thin sliced mushrooms
>
> Cut tips of green beans, and into bite sized pieces (if desired). Place
> in steamer and steam until tender.
>
> In a large skillet, cook bacon. When bacon is done to desired
> crispness, remove to small plate to cool. Recover any bacon grease
> dripped to plate back into skillet.
>
> Add butter. When butter is almost melted, sprinkle in 1/2 tsp black
> pepper. Add shallots and saute until the start to soften. Add sesame
> seeds and saute for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle in 1/2 tsp liquid smoke and
> stir to incorporate into butter blend. Add mushrooms and saute until
> tender.
>
> Crumble cooled bacon and add to skillet. Add remaining pepper and
> liquid smoke to butter sauce and stir to incorporate. Immediately add
> steamed green beans and toss to coat beans with butter sauce. Transfer
> to serving dish.
>
> Serves 4 with enough for seconds.
>
> jt

It sounds like a nice dish, but if one is using bacon wouldn't that be
enough of a smoky flavor without the liquid smoke?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> It sounds like a nice dish, but if one is using bacon wouldn't that be
> enough of a smoky flavor without the liquid smoke?
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

My thoughts too. I do have liquid smoke on hand, but anticipate these
two bottles will last me years. So far, it's worked best on pork
shoulder roasts. I've not tried it on poultry yet.

If I were using bacon, I'd see no need for it? <shrugs> Just my 2
cents. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 20:56:17 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>

>> It sounds like a nice dish, but if one is using bacon wouldn't that be
>> enough of a smoky flavor without the liquid smoke?
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

> My thoughts too. I do have liquid smoke on hand, but anticipate these
> two bottles will last me years. So far, it's worked best on pork
> shoulder roasts. I've not tried it on poultry yet.
>
> If I were using bacon, I'd see no need for it? <shrugs> Just my 2
> cents. ;-)

i was thinking that instead i'd double the bacon.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder said:
> jt august wrote:
>> Follow up on the liquid smoke thread, here is a nice, off the beaten
>> path use for liquid smoke.
>>

>> Green beans and sauteed mushrooms in smoky bacon butter
>>
>> 1 lb green beans
>> 3 slices bacon
>> 1/2 stick butter or margarine
>> 3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
>> 2 Tbsp minced shallots
>> 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
>> 1 tsp liquid smoke, divided
>> 6 oz thin sliced mushrooms
>>
>> Cut tips of green beans, and into bite sized pieces (if desired).
>> Place in steamer and steam until tender.
>>
>> In a large skillet, cook bacon. When bacon is done to desired
>> crispness, remove to small plate to cool. Recover any bacon grease
>> dripped to plate back into skillet.
>>
>> Add butter. When butter is almost melted, sprinkle in 1/2 tsp black
>> pepper. Add shallots and saute until the start to soften. Add
>> sesame seeds and saute for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle in 1/2 tsp liquid
>> smoke and stir to incorporate into butter blend. Add mushrooms and
>> saute until tender.
>>
>> Crumble cooled bacon and add to skillet. Add remaining pepper and
>> liquid smoke to butter sauce and stir to incorporate. Immediately
>> add steamed green beans and toss to coat beans with butter sauce.
>> Transfer to serving dish.
>>
>> Serves 4 with enough for seconds.
>>
>> jt

> It sounds like a nice dish, but if one is using bacon wouldn't that be
> enough of a smoky flavor without the liquid smoke?

Farmland Double Smoked Bacon if you don't mind fatty bacon

Or just double up the bacon in the recipe

Liquid smoke sucks, dumb in a recipe with bacon

Otherwise looks good

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> It sounds like a nice dish, but if one is using bacon wouldn't that be
>> enough of a smoky flavor without the liquid smoke?
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

> My thoughts too. I do have liquid smoke on hand, but anticipate these
> two bottles will last me years. So far, it's worked best on pork
> shoulder roasts. I've not tried it on poultry yet.
>
> If I were using bacon, I'd see no need for it? <shrugs> Just my 2
> cents. ;-)

I will admit to having a bottle in my cupboard, too. I have used it in a
bean dish.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Janet Wilder said:
> It sounds like a nice dish, but if one is using bacon wouldn't that be
> enough of a smoky flavor without the liquid smoke?

I deliberately use non-smoked bacon in my recipes, since it has a
tendency to be way too salty for my liking. Might be what's meant in
the green bean recipe.

Just my 2p!

-Jen (back to work after a month off. *sigh* heh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> It sounds like a nice dish, but if one is using bacon wouldn't that be
> enough of a smoky flavor without the liquid smoke?
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

I find most commercial bacon isn't smokey enough for my pallet. And
adding a little more of the divided liquid smoke at the end intensifies
that flavor.

Remember that a lot of commercial bacon is not smoke cured, but has
liquid smoke in the brine.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jen P." > wrote:

> I deliberately use non-smoked bacon in my recipes, since it has a
> tendency to be way too salty for my liking. Might be what's meant in
> the green bean recipe.

That would be the brine in most commercial bacon. If you can get a
true, smoke cured bacon, the salt is usually significantly less.
Unfortunately, that kind of bacon is uncommon and expensive.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:17:20 -0600, jt august
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Jen P." > wrote:
>
>> I deliberately use non-smoked bacon in my recipes, since it has a
>> tendency to be way too salty for my liking. Might be what's meant in
>> the green bean recipe.

>That would be the brine in most commercial bacon. If you can get a
>true, smoke cured bacon, the salt is usually significantly less.
>Unfortunately, that kind of bacon is uncommon and expensive.

If what one is looking for is natural smoke flavor and pork fat there
are many other choices besides bacon; there's ham, pig knuckles, even
smoked pork chops.... and Penzey sells a wonderful smokey paprika.

Liquid smoke notbob General Cooking 26 20-10-2015 07:19 PM
Liquid Smoke Experiment # 2 Bread Basket Barbecue 0 07-03-2011 08:46 AM
liquid smoke, gag Stormmee Barbecue 30 24-08-2009 08:14 PM
Liquid Smoke Nonnymus[_7_] Barbecue 31 23-04-2007 10:35 PM
REC: Bean with Bacon Soup (with liquid smoke) Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 13 23-10-2006 09:23 PM