Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Bob is offline

Default vegetarians who eat meat

http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob" > wrote in message ...
> http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

I thought that was an interesting article when I read it yesterday. I
didn't realize vegetarians were so conflicted as a group as to what the
motivation is.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 3, 10:44*am, "Bob" > wrote:
> http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

You can't keep calling yourself a vegetarian when you're regularly
adding red meat to your diet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 3, 12:47*pm, Christopher Helms > wrote:
> On Jan 3, 10:44*am, "Bob" > wrote:
>
> >http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

> You can't keep calling yourself a vegetarian when you're regularly
> adding red meat to your diet.

Perhaps "omnivore" is a better title for these folks.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher Helms wrote:
> On Jan 3, 10:44 am, "Bob" > wrote:
>> http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

> You can't keep calling yourself a vegetarian when you're regularly
> adding red meat to your diet.

Any meat.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher Helms" > wrote in message
On Jan 3, 10:44 am, "Bob" > wrote:
> http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

You can't keep calling yourself a vegetarian when you're regularly
adding red meat to your diet.

Wondering about this. I do not call myself a vegetarian - but I seldom eat
any 'flesh' foods. I do have plenty of tofu and soy based dishes and, when
I do eat 'flesh' foods - it is either poultry (usually chicken, sometimes
turkey) or seafood. So - no 'red' meat but 'flesh' foods. Am I a
'flexatarian'?

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
m...

> "Bob" > wrote in message
>> http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

> I thought that was an interesting article when I read it yesterday. I
> didn't realize vegetarians were so conflicted as a group as to what the
> motivation is.
> Janet

Lots of them are real nutters! However, some, like my d-i-l, went veggie a
couple of years ago after staying with her sister (who has since become an
omnivore again). Returning form that visit, my son "needed" meat and called
in at a burger place and at that moment, my d-i-l's stomach "turned over"
and she couldn't face meat any more. She does eat fish (I cooked fish en
papillote for her xmas dinner) so some would say she isn't a veggie.
With all the different kinds, perhaps we should start calling them Faddists.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JonquilJan wrote:

> .....but I seldom eat any 'flesh' foods.

Is it really that hard to say 'meat'? Or are you including the flesh of
fruits and vegetables as well?

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> JonquilJan wrote:
>
>> .....but I seldom eat any 'flesh' foods.

> Is it really that hard to say 'meat'? Or are you including the flesh of
> fruits and vegetables as well?
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Do you call seafood 'meat'? If not - what? I just used the term 'flesh' to
differentiate between animal and non animal foods

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham said:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> "Bob" > wrote in message
>>> http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

>> I thought that was an interesting article when I read it yesterday.
>> I didn't realize vegetarians were so conflicted as a group as to
>> what the motivation is.
>> Janet
>>

> Lots of them are real nutters! However, some, like my d-i-l, went
> veggie a couple of years ago after staying with her sister (who has
> since become an omnivore again). Returning form that visit, my son
> "needed" meat and called in at a burger place and at that moment, my
> d-i-l's stomach "turned over" and she couldn't face meat any more.
> She does eat fish (I cooked fish en papillote for her xmas dinner) so
> some would say she isn't a veggie.
> With all the different kinds, perhaps we should start calling them
> Faddists. Graham

I'm a meat-a-tearian. I get meat, I tear in. My favorite vegetable is gravy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mariotus Stangbetzner wrote:
> graham said:
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> I thought that was an interesting article when I read it yesterday.
>>> I didn't realize vegetarians were so conflicted as a group as to
>>> what the motivation is.
>>> Janet
>>>

>> Lots of them are real nutters! However, some, like my d-i-l, went
>> veggie a couple of years ago after staying with her sister (who has
>> since become an omnivore again). Returning form that visit, my son
>> "needed" meat and called in at a burger place and at that moment, my
>> d-i-l's stomach "turned over" and she couldn't face meat any more.
>> She does eat fish (I cooked fish en papillote for her xmas dinner) so
>> some would say she isn't a veggie.
>> With all the different kinds, perhaps we should start calling them
>> Faddists. Graham

> I'm a meat-a-tearian. I get meat, I tear in. My favorite vegetable is gravy.

"My favorite vegetable is gravy."

I am soooo going to steal that line.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla said:
> Mariotus Stangbetzner wrote:
>> graham said:
>>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> m...
>>>>
>>> Lots of them are real nutters! However, some, like my d-i-l, went
>>> veggie a couple of years ago after staying with her sister (who has
>>> since become an omnivore again). Returning form that visit, my son
>>> "needed" meat and called in at a burger place and at that moment, my
>>> d-i-l's stomach "turned over" and she couldn't face meat any more.
>>> She does eat fish (I cooked fish en papillote for her xmas dinner)
>>> so some would say she isn't a veggie.
>>> With all the different kinds, perhaps we should start calling them
>>> Faddists. Graham

>> I'm a meat-a-tearian. I get meat, I tear in. My favorite vegetable
>> is gravy.
>>

> "My favorite vegetable is gravy."
>
> I am soooo going to steal that line.
>
> George L

Send my royalties vouchers to the Internet Foundation for Gravitization of
Vegetation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "Bob" > wrote in message ...
> > http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

> I thought that was an interesting article when I read it yesterday. I
> didn't realize vegetarians were so conflicted as a group as to what the
> motivation is.

I'd call them ovo-lacto-bovo-porcino-vegetarians.
Or hypocrites, for short.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson said:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> "Bob" > wrote in message
>>> http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

>> I thought that was an interesting article when I read it yesterday.
>> I didn't realize vegetarians were so conflicted as a group as to
>> what the motivation is.

> I'd call them ovo-lacto-bovo-porcino-vegetarians.
> Or hypocrites, for short.

Are you a pesto-sanctimonio-morono-judgementarian, then?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> "Bob" > wrote in message ...
> > http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

> I thought that was an interesting article when I read it yesterday. I
> didn't realize vegetarians were so conflicted as a group as to what the
> motivation is.

I thought it was a little stupid. These are people who used to be
vegetarians but gave it up. But that wouldn't make for a good headline.

As others on this group have noted, a lot of vegetarians, sooner or
later, give it up. Still, when they are vegetarians, they are
vegetarians, and unless they have a history of embracing "fads", it
isn't easy to predict who will give it up or when.

It's like someone who is a devout Catholic. It's rude to tell them that
the church is declining, and people are dropping out, and probably in
ten years they won't be a Catholic anymore. Besides, you really don't
know.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> How come the "vegetarians" get all these fancy new, politically
> correct words to flaunt around while those of us who have no qualms
> about eating anything haven't had a new word since prehistoric
> times?

What would you like? "Carnitarian"?

"Omniphile" -- don't know about that one,
sounds like some species of pervert.

How about "anavegetarian"?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JonquilJan" > wrote:

> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> > JonquilJan wrote:
> >
> >> .....but I seldom eat any 'flesh' foods.

> > Is it really that hard to say 'meat'? Or are you including the flesh of
> > fruits and vegetables as well?
> >
> > --
> > Dave
> > What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> > you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan
> >

> Do you call seafood 'meat'? If not - what? I just used the term 'flesh' to
> differentiate between animal and non animal foods

Crab meat.

Peach flesh.

The distinction is not as clear cut as you would like to make it.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> "Bob" > wrote in message ...
> > http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

> I thought that was an interesting article when I read it yesterday. I
> didn't realize vegetarians were so conflicted as a group as to what the
> motivation is.

No conflict. Vegetarians are not a monolithic group, any more than
omnivores are.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> I haven't met a vegetarian yet that wasn't a nut case.
>
> Must be something lacking in their diet.

Or in your perception.

And I know some pretty nutty omnivores, too.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I haven't met a vegetarian yet that wasn't a nut case.

Must be something lacking in their diet.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote

> How come the "vegetarians" get all these fancy new, politically
> correct words to flaunt around while those of us who have no qualms
> about eating anything haven't had a new word since prehistoric
> times?
>
> -sw

And what's the difference between throwing a live lobster, or a live potato
in a pot of boiling water? And then they gouge the eyes out of potatos,
skin them raw, slice them. As well as with all other living vegetables. I
think they're into torture. I bet if they put little microphones in there,
a lot of screaming could be heard.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:44:53 -0500, Bob wrote:
>
> > http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

> "The word "flexitarian," meaning someone who mostly eats vegetarian
> with the occasional cheesesteak thrown in, has been around for a
> while."
>
> How come the "vegetarians" get all these fancy new, politically
> correct words to flaunt around while those of us who have no qualms
> about eating anything haven't had a new word since prehistoric
> times?

Here you go, Steve, from the "10 worst dining trends of the last decade"
thread:

FriedOnionBlossomarian
Molecularian
US$40arian
communalarian
FastFoodarian
Yelparian
foamarian
MediaWhorearian
deconstructarian

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

> And what's the difference between throwing a live lobster, or a live potato
> in a pot of boiling water? And then they gouge the eyes out of potatos,
> skin them raw, slice them. As well as with all other living vegetables. I
> think they're into torture. I bet if they put little microphones in there,
> a lot of screaming could be heard.

Oh no! Not the People For The Ethical Treatment
Of Vegetables!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "JonquilJan" > wrote:

>> > Is it really that hard to say 'meat'? Or are you including the flesh of
>> > fruits and vegetables as well?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Dave
>> > What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
>> > you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan
>> >

>> Do you call seafood 'meat'? If not - what? I just used the term 'flesh'
>> differentiate between animal and non animal foods

> Crab meat.
>
> Peach flesh.
>
> The distinction is not as clear cut as you would like to make it.
>
> Miche

I do believe it is clear to 'most' people. Nit pickers are the exception.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>
>> "Bob" > wrote in message
>> > http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

>> I thought that was an interesting article when I read it yesterday. I
>> didn't realize vegetarians were so conflicted as a group as to what the
>> motivation is.

> No conflict. Vegetarians are not a monolithic group, any more than
> omnivores are.
>
> Miche

My mistake then. I thought that 'vegetarian' defined a certain code of
diet -- at least the "thou shalt not." I imagine that is what prompted the
article.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Christopher Helms wrote:
>> On Jan 3, 10:44 am, "Bob" > wrote:
>>> http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002

>> You can't keep calling yourself a vegetarian when you're regularly
>> adding red meat to your diet.

> Any meat.

"Vegetarians" are generally screwed up about why they are "vegetarians"...of
the ones I know not one makes any lick of sense of when explaining their
"vegetarian" MO.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Christopher Helms wrote:
>>>

>>> You can't keep calling yourself a vegetarian when you're regularly
>>> adding red meat to your diet.

>> Any meat.

> "Vegetarians" are generally screwed up about why they are
> "vegetarians"...of the ones I know not one makes any lick of sense of
> when explaining their "vegetarian" MO.

[Following up to my own post...]

Fer example:

There is one who doesn't "eat meat" but she'll eat a stew or a soup or
something that contains meat if she can "pick out the pieces of meat"...

Then there are the ones who claim to be vegan for "health reasons" but they
are chronic drunks, smokers, grossly obese, etc...

The fridges of some of these I've seen are full of French Bread pizzas,
frozen fries and other junk...no fresh veg or salad fixin's. Similar to a
fat person who swears they are "eating healthy" by having a Diet Coke with
their two Quarter Pounder and fries and fried apple pie lunch...

There is one who will deign to eat something that contains chicken broth but
will blanch in horror at ingesting beef broth. This despite the fact that
chickens are omnivores, cattle are herbivores...

I've not met a one recently who has even heard of things like "complete
proteins", amino acids, etc...

The "vegetarian" silliness goes on...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Christopher Helms wrote:
>>>

>>> You can't keep calling yourself a vegetarian when you're regularly
>>> adding red meat to your diet.

>> Any meat.

> "Vegetarians" are generally screwed up about why they are
> "vegetarians"...of the ones I know not one makes any lick of sense of
> when explaining their "vegetarian" MO.

It just amazes me when I see someone claim to be a vegetarian,
so they don't order steak, they order fish or chicken. There
might be a lot of fine points among the various vegetarian branches,
but "no meat" would seem to be the clearly understood meaning
of them all. Chicken and fish are meat.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JonquilJan wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> JonquilJan wrote:
>>
>>> .....but I seldom eat any 'flesh' foods.

>> Is it really that hard to say 'meat'? Or are you including the flesh
>> of fruits and vegetables as well?
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven
>> before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan
>>

> Do you call seafood 'meat'?

Yes. Fish can also have cuts referred to as 'steaks'.

> If not - what? I just used the term
> 'flesh' to differentiate between animal and non animal foods

A non-issue to begin with, and a term which is not reliable in
distinguishing just what you eat or won't eat.

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

> How come the "vegetarians" get all these fancy new, politically
> correct words to flaunt around while those of us who have no qualms
> about eating anything haven't had a new word since prehistoric
> times?

The term "locavore" is fairly new, and includes people who eat members of
the animal kingdom. Of course, locavores don't eat ANYTHING, just anything
which originates in their local area. Lin and I get local eggs and local
meat (lamb, beef, and pork) on a regular basis.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JonquilJan wrote:
> "Miche" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>>> Do you call seafood 'meat'? If not - what? I just used the term
>>> 'flesh' to
>>> differentiate between animal and non animal foods

>> Crab meat.
>>
>> Peach flesh.
>>
>> The distinction is not as clear cut as you would like to make it.
>>
>> Miche

> I do believe it is clear to 'most' people. Nit pickers are the
> exception.

Your 'belief' is unfounded. It may seem clear to you, but it only SEEMS that
way. I would also rather be a nit-picker, than a pretentious prig.

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Greg wrote:

> "eating healthy" by having a Diet Coke with their two Quarter Pounder and
> fries and fried apple pie lunch...

Speaking of which: I distinctly remember getting a fried apple pie from some
burger chain in my youth. I thought it was either McDonald's or Burger King.
But that doesn't seem to appear on the menu of either chain anymore. When
did it go away?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Any meat.

>> "Vegetarians" are generally screwed up about why they are
>> "vegetarians"...of the ones I know not one makes any lick of sense of
>> when explaining their "vegetarian" MO.

> It just amazes me when I see someone claim to be a vegetarian,
> so they don't order steak, they order fish or chicken. There
> might be a lot of fine points among the various vegetarian branches,
> but "no meat" would seem to be the clearly understood meaning
> of them all. Chicken and fish are meat.

Yup, *exactly*...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 19:05:15 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>It just amazes me when I see someone claim to be a vegetarian,
>so they don't order steak, they order fish or chicken. There
>might be a lot of fine points among the various vegetarian branches,
>but "no meat" would seem to be the clearly understood meaning
>of them all. Chicken and fish are meat.

Maybe they are "no red meatarians" or people with gout who find it
easier to say they're vegetarians.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 19:05:15 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> It just amazes me when I see someone claim to be a vegetarian,
>> so they don't order steak, they order fish or chicken. There
>> might be a lot of fine points among the various vegetarian branches,
>> but "no meat" would seem to be the clearly understood meaning
>> of them all. Chicken and fish are meat.

> Maybe they are "no red meatarians" or people with gout who find it
> easier to say they're vegetarians.

But they aren't. They're no-red-meat-eaters. The vege- part is
pretty clear.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 16:25:27 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Greg wrote:
>
>> "eating healthy" by having a Diet Coke with their two Quarter Pounder and
>> fries and fried apple pie lunch...

>Speaking of which: I distinctly remember getting a fried apple pie from some
>burger chain in my youth. I thought it was either McDonald's or Burger King.
>But that doesn't seem to appear on the menu of either chain anymore. When
>did it go away?

I think they both had it but mCshits was the first. mCshits also had
raspberry danish that they put on a gadget with prongs that would heat
it by injecting steam. I loved them as a kid. I don't know when they
disappeared. I think the danish was the first to go away.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 19:05:15 -0500, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> It just amazes me when I see someone claim to be a vegetarian,
>>> so they don't order steak, they order fish or chicken. There
>>> might be a lot of fine points among the various vegetarian branches,
>>> but "no meat" would seem to be the clearly understood meaning
>>> of them all. Chicken and fish are meat.

>> Maybe they are "no red meatarians" or people with gout who find it
>> easier to say they're vegetarians.

> But they aren't. They're no-red-meat-eaters. The vege- part is
> pretty clear.

And on a side note plenty of vegetables can provoke gout, e.g. legumes,
spinach, asparagus, broccoli, etc...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Greg wrote:
>
>> "eating healthy" by having a Diet Coke with their two Quarter
>> Pounder and fries and fried apple pie lunch...

> Speaking of which: I distinctly remember getting a fried apple pie
> from some burger chain in my youth. I thought it was either
> McDonald's or Burger King. But that doesn't seem to appear on the
> menu of either chain anymore. When did it go away?

I dunno, it's been many years since I've eaten at either place...IIRC they
were once a popular item.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> It just amazes me when I see someone claim to be a vegetarian,
> so they don't order steak, they order fish or chicken. There
> might be a lot of fine points among the various vegetarian branches,
> but "no meat" would seem to be the clearly understood meaning
> of them all. Chicken and fish are meat.

I'm with you, Nancy, but I fear it's you and I against the world. There
are just more and more "vegetarians", as they call themselves, who eat
fish, and even chicken.

Makes it confusing for the vegetarians who don't eat meat.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> JonquilJan wrote:
>> "Miche" > wrote in message

>>> Crab meat.
>>>
>>> Peach flesh.
>>>
>>> The distinction is not as clear cut as you would like to make it.
>>>
>>> Miche

>> I do believe it is clear to 'most' people. Nit pickers are the
>> exception.

> Your 'belief' is unfounded. It may seem clear to you, but it only SEEMS
> that way. I would also rather be a nit-picker, than a pretentious prig.

I asked a simple question to start. Trying to describe what I eat. And if
the term to describe my diet would be 'flexatarian'. I was lookiong for
information - not ridicule.