Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default One-cup coffee makers (no "pods" please) -- actual experience anyone?

I've been quite satisfied with my Braun, and the Braun before
that---have had 'em for about 25+ years. But I've noticed that the
second cup just isn't as good as the first. I turn the machine off
after brewing because the second cup is usually drunk about an hour
after the first---and by then it tastes burnt.

So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
I'm used to.

So...anyone out there who has such a coffee maker and can comment on
it? Again, if it's a "pod" model, I appreciate the information but I
ain't buying one.

Thanks -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:

> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
> I'm used to.

How about a Melitta, filtered straight into the cup?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 07:31:35 -0600, Terry >
wrote:

>I've been quite satisfied with my Braun, and the Braun before
>that---have had 'em for about 25+ years. But I've noticed that the
>second cup just isn't as good as the first. I turn the machine off
>after brewing because the second cup is usually drunk about an hour
>after the first---and by then it tastes burnt.
>
>So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
>interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
>has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
>I'm used to.
>
>So...anyone out there who has such a coffee maker and can comment on
>it? Again, if it's a "pod" model, I appreciate the information but I
>ain't buying one.
>
>Thanks -- Terry

If you are willing to boil water, this is most definitely the way to
go. The coffee it makes is very good and you will see the Aero
recommended on many coffee forums.

http://www.singleservecoffee.com/archives/004326.php

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:59:16 -0500, "Dora" > wrote:

>Terry wrote:
>>
>> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
>> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
>> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
>> I'm used to.

>How about a Melitta, filtered straight into the cup?

That is a very good suggestion. They make a single cup cone. Chemex
makes a small carafe that will work similarly.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:59:16 -0500, "Dora" > wrote:

>Terry wrote:
>>
>> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
>> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
>> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
>> I'm used to.

>How about a Melitta, filtered straight into the cup?

I may go that route Dora. I've used a Melitta and it was ok, not
fabulous but I probably had too much/not enough coffee. But I'd
prefer something reminiscent of an electric drip coffee maker. One
nice thing about Melitta is that the filters are easy to find.

Thanks -- Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I've been quite satisfied with my Braun, and the Braun before
>that---have had 'em for about 25+ years. But I've noticed that the
>second cup just isn't as good as the first. I turn the machine off
>after brewing because the second cup is usually drunk about an hour
>after the first---and by then it tastes burnt.
>
>So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
>interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
>has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
>I'm used to.
>
>So...anyone out there who has such a coffee maker and can comment on
>it? Again, if it's a "pod" model, I appreciate the information but I
>ain't buying one.
>
>Thanks -- Terry

Check out the small one cup Keurig. You can buy an accessory that
allows you to use your own coffee. It only makes one cup at a time.
You can buy some of the pods for an occasional change of pace.

I know that Bed Bath & beyond carry them.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I've been quite satisfied with my Braun, and the Braun before
> that---have had 'em for about 25+ years. But I've noticed that the
> second cup just isn't as good as the first. I turn the machine off
> after brewing because the second cup is usually drunk about an hour
> after the first---and by then it tastes burnt.
>
> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
> I'm used to.
>
> So...anyone out there who has such a coffee maker and can comment on
> it? Again, if it's a "pod" model, I appreciate the information but I
> ain't buying one.

I use a one cup French press that makes a pretty good single cup of
coffee. The trick is to use coarse ground coffee.

Pod machines do make excellent coffee, but they are expensive to buy and
the pods are expensive. The pods are also hard to find around here. I
don't want to have to make special trips just to get over priced coffee.

For a really good single cup of coffee I use my espresso maker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I've been quite satisfied with my Braun, and the Braun before
>that---have had 'em for about 25+ years. But I've noticed that the
>second cup just isn't as good as the first. I turn the machine off
>after brewing because the second cup is usually drunk about an hour
>after the first---and by then it tastes burnt.
>
>So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
>interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
>has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
>I'm used to.
>
>So...anyone out there who has such a coffee maker and can comment on
>it? Again, if it's a "pod" model, I appreciate the information but I
>ain't buying one.

Reusable filters, unless scrupulously clean each time used will make
bitter/off flavor coffee. Regardless how coffee is brewed it will be
stale/acetic in less than an hour... so simply brew only what you will
consume within like 10 minutes (once brewed coffee has a zero shelf
life). Most ADCs have a small batch (2-4 cup) function. And an ADC
cup is considered to be only 6 ounces, so if you brew 2 cups (or
thereabouts) with the small batch function you will really have about
a mugful (the grounds will absorb at least an ounce of water, probably
more like 2 ounces., and you'll have much better cofee if you remove
the grounds immediately after brewing.... I try to catch it to remove
the grounds slightly before brewing is over, the grounds are pretty
much spent of flavor by then and over-extracting/leaking the
bitterness components. Most folks leave the wet grounds to drip for
hours, then they wonder why their coffee is ****, or they don't wonder
because they have TIAD. Even without the small batch function there
is no reason you can't brew just enough for your one cup, whatever
amount that is... just remove the grounds promptly. Braun makes as
good an ADC as most, you won't accomplish anything by buying a
new/smaller capacity coffee maker. And most of those mini ADCs don't
brew a good cup anyway, barely passable for ho-mo/tel in the room
coffee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry" wrote

> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
> I'm used to.
>
> So...anyone out there who has such a coffee maker and can comment on
> it? Again, if it's a "pod" model, I appreciate the information but I
> ain't buying one.

Yes, I got something that works very nicely. It's not a true '1 cup' but it
reliably will make 1 at a time. Technically it is a 5 cup programmable with
an auto off safety feature.

Fits many of the smaller re-usable filters as well as standard ones.
Stainless steel caraffe so no worried on breaking it.
If you want a standard coffee mug sized serving, make 2 'cups' in it. Thats
what I often do.

<http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-DCM675BMT-Programmable-Stainless/dp/B000UWC4SY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1262278951&sr=1-1-spell>

http://tinyurl.com/ygwdgfd

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry" > wrote in message
> I've been quite satisfied with my Braun, and the Braun before
> that---have had 'em for about 25+ years. But I've noticed that the
> second cup just isn't as good as the first. I turn the machine off
> after brewing because the second cup is usually drunk about an hour
> after the first---and by then it tastes burnt.
>
> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
> I'm used to.
>
> So...anyone out there who has such a coffee maker and can comment on
> it? Again, if it's a "pod" model, I appreciate the information but I
> ain't buying one.
>
> Thanks -- Terry

Terry,
I've been using a Krups 10 cup coffee make with a stainless steel thermal
carafe for several years. The coffee stays hot in the carafe for at least 2
hours, with no heating. Since there's no heating element in the base of the
coffee maker, the second cup tastes about as good as the first. If you do
need to nuke the mug a few hours after you make it to get that second cup it
tasted infinitely better than coffee that's been sitting on a warmer cooking
for two hours.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora wrote:
> Terry wrote:
>>
>> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
>> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
>> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
>> I'm used to.

> How about a Melitta, filtered straight into the cup?

Or a small Bodum French press? No filter required.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p > wrote in message
[snip]
> > How about a Melitta, filtered straight into the cup?
> >

> Or a small Bodum French press? No filter required.

I use the Bodum French press (2-cup and 10-cup). I think they're great. It
took a couple rounds to find the "right" grind without daily visits to my
favorite coffee house but now it's second nature. When we're throwing a
dinner shindig, the coffee always runs dry.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> gloria.p > wrote in message
> [snip]
>>> How about a Melitta, filtered straight into the cup?
>>>

>> Or a small Bodum French press? No filter required.

> I use the Bodum French press (2-cup and 10-cup). I think they're great. It
> took a couple rounds to find the "right" grind without daily visits to my
> favorite coffee house but now it's second nature. When we're throwing a
> dinner shindig, the coffee always runs dry.

You should get yourself a decent burr grinder. I am assuming that they
all can be adjusted to the various settings. Mine has 6. I set it at B
for drip and E for the French press.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry > wrote:

> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
> I'm used to.
>
> So...anyone out there who has such a coffee maker and can comment on
> it?

Terry-

I have a Mr. Coffee 4-cup maker that produces 20 ounces of coffee. It
uses a smaller paper filter that is readily available. Using a common
10 ounce coffee mug, I consider it a true "2-cup" coffee maker!

Paperwork that came with it claims you can order a permanent filter.

I see that the 4-cup models have been replaced by a 5-cup (25 ounce)
model in local stores.

Fred
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> Dora wrote:
>> Terry wrote:
>>>
>>> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
>>> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
>>> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
>>> I'm used to.

>> How about a Melitta, filtered straight into the cup?

> Or a small Bodum French press? No filter required.

I have this one which is fine just for me... but this is in UK

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/lakeland-o...heroes.org.uk/

http://tinyurl.com/y8wkhgc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in message
> The Ranger wrote:
>> gloria.p > wrote in message
>> [snip]
>>>>
>>> Or a small Bodum French press? No filter required.

>> I use the Bodum French press (2-cup and 10-cup). I think
>> they're great. It took a couple rounds to find the "right"
>> grind without daily visits to my favorite coffee house but
>> now it's second nature. When we're throwing a dinner
>> shindig, the coffee always runs dry.
>>

> You should get yourself a decent burr grinder. I am
> assuming that they all can be adjusted to the various
> settings. Mine has 6. I set it at B for drip and E for
> the French press.

My US$9.00 Krups pulse grinder works just fine. That's my price-to-pain
threshhold for coffee grinders.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 8:31*am, Terry > wrote:
> I've been quite satisfied with my Braun, and the Braun before
> that---have had 'em for about 25+ years. *But I've noticed that the
> second cup just isn't as good as the first. *I turn the machine off
> after brewing because the second cup is usually drunk about an hour
> after the first---and by then it tastes burnt.
>
> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. *I'm not
> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
> I'm used to.
>
> So...anyone out there who has such a coffee maker and can comment on
> it? *Again, if it's a "pod" model, I appreciate the information but I
> ain't buying one.
>
> Thanks -- Terry

Terry, I often do this also. Do you move the pot off the burner? I
find that if I do that and reheat in the microwave it tastes ok. If I
forget and leave on the coffee maker burner the flavor definitely
suffers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 8:31*am, Terry > wrote:
> I've been quite satisfied with my Braun, and the Braun before
> that---have had 'em for about 25+ years. *But I've noticed that the
> second cup just isn't as good as the first. *I turn the machine off
> after brewing because the second cup is usually drunk about an hour
> after the first---and by then it tastes burnt.
>
> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. *I'm not
> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
> I'm used to.
>
> So...anyone out there who has such a coffee maker and can comment on
> it? *Again, if it's a "pod" model, I appreciate the information but I
> ain't buying one.
>
> Thanks -- Terry

Hi, I am not a usual reader of this group, but let me chime in here
with as you say, I have one and can comment on it. First off, let me
say we are very fussy about our coffee, we have had a Bunn in our
kitchen for well over a decade and never find restaurant coffee we
like. We work at home and go through several pots a day. We had a pod
type maker (black and decker) next to the bunn as we don't like to run
flavored coffee through the main maker, but the novelty wore off
quickly as the pods were hard to find and there were few flavors
available so we stopped using it. The way the black and decker was set
up, you could not use your own coffee.

This Christmas I bought my wife a Keurig (R) one cup maker (little
plastic cups, not pods) and we (the whole family) couldn't be more
happy. We also bought the accessory reusable filter cup so we can make
cups of our favorite blend when we just want a regular cup of coffee
and don't want to make a pot, some of the other makers don't allow for
this. It (the Keurig) brews in less than 60 seconds and of course if
you use the premix cups (pods), there is no measuring. The wife gets
up and makes a single cup of colombian or expresso without having to
count and measure a full pot first thing in the morning. After that
first cup, she makes a pot in the Bunn to start the day off

We compared to the much advertised Tassimo (R) and went with the
Keurig because of the ability to make our own coffee blends in it,
price, and the availability of flavors. Over twenty major coffee
companies like Folgers, Green Mountain, Newmann's, and others have
attached themselves to this manufacturer and there are over 230
flavors of coffee, cocoa, herbals, and tea available as of right now.
Most are coffees, but we also were happy that many of the flavors are
just plain coffee, without any additional flavors, Jamacian,
Colombian, Kona, etc... I bought a 60 pack of samplers to get us
started and we are already all finding our favorite flavors, I love
the Cocoa, my other daughter loves the Earle Grey (sp?) Tea. Another
big selling point for the Keurig I noticed going to the websites of
the two manufacturers was the Keurig cups averaged 50 cents a cup,
where as the Tassimo had some that worked out to nearly 90 cents a
cup. We have used the Keurig several times in the last year too in Dr.
offices, car dealerships, and specialty shops, they are pretty popular
around here. We got the 60 piece variety pack and we love most of the
flavors, we will probably order or buy boxes of each as time goes on.
We also bought the little tree that holds about 2 dozen cups right
there next to the machine on the counter. I got ours at Bed Bath and
Beyond, they have nearly 50 flavors available at our local store,
don't know about yours but all are available on line and many local
supermarkets carry them too... Good luck.

Bottom line is, even if you don't try the available flavors, it sound
like this one will do what you need it to do.

Scotty... HTH...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mookie wrote on Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:31:28 -0800 (PST):

> On Dec 31, 8:31 am, Terry > wrote:
>> I've been quite satisfied with my Braun, and the Braun before
>> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm
>> not interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee
>> maker that has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I
>> can use the coffee I'm used to.

For myself, I have a "four-cup" Mr. Coffee using basket filters. It
actually makes two mugs of coffee since I don't go for wimpy 5 oz cups..
I have one mug after dinner and another the following morning with
breakfast. I simply do not have the patience to grind beans and make
coffee at breakfast. One minute 20 seconds in my microwave reheats the
coffee satisfactorily.

I like the available choices when I buy whole beans and regard pods as
restricting pains. I have never noticed any different results when I use
a mill type coffee grinder as opposed to my usual simple bladed Braun.
Incidentally, I grind frozen beans for each run of the coffee maker.

I have been known to forget to buy filters and I can fold a paper towel
into an acceptable one tho' I need to be careful when inserting the
basket into the coffee maker.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

<snip>

> And most of those mini ADCs don't
> brew a good cup anyway, barely passable for ho-mo/tel in the room
> coffee.

Ack! Gack! Ghastly stuff!! The bane of this summer's drive across the
country and back. After the sip of that crap, I drove straight to the
nearest store and bought a french press, a cheap electric kettle and
coffee enough for the rest of the trip. Then I had GOOD coffee each
morning and could fill up my travel cups to sip on well into the
afternoons. Smartest travel purchase I've made in a while.

If there had more room for packing it, I'd have bought a cheap blade
grinder and whole beans... that would have been exquisite! In fact, I
think I'll plan on that for the next trip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry" > wrote in message
> I've been quite satisfied with my Braun, and the Braun before
> that---have had 'em for about 25+ years. But I've noticed that the
> second cup just isn't as good as the first. I turn the machine off
> after brewing because the second cup is usually drunk about an hour
> after the first---and by then it tastes burnt.
>
> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
> I'm used to.
>
> So...anyone out there who has such a coffee maker and can comment on
> it? Again, if it's a "pod" model, I appreciate the information but I
> ain't buying one.

I use a Moka pot with good success and have also heard good things about the
Aeropress.

The only thing is that the Moka pot makes rocket fuel. (Albeit good-tasting
rocket fuel...) When I don't need that much horsepower, I use a stainless
steel travel press from Bodum.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:59:16 -0500, "Dora" > wrote:
>
> >Terry wrote:
> >>
> >> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
> >> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
> >> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
> >> I'm used to.

> >How about a Melitta, filtered straight into the cup?

> That is a very good suggestion. They make a single cup cone. Chemex
> makes a small carafe that will work similarly.

I had one of those, and it would take forever for the
coffee to filter through.

My current method is to take two Cara Mia artichoke jars,
put the ground coffee in one, cover the mouth of the other
with the smallest size filter cone (use Safeway brand, not
Melitta, because Melitta cones come apart at the seam)
with the edge folded over the rim, pour 195-200F water
into the jar with the coffee and stir, then slowly pour
the coffee into the filter cone in the second jar. After
it's all in there, carefully lift the filter cone and
coffee grounds out of the jar, allowing the remaining
coffee to drain through. Don't squeeze it through.

That produces a small cup of very strong coffee.
Some people say coffee should steep for about four
minutes, for example when using a French press, but
I've never found any benefit to steeping at all.
As soon as the coffee and water were well-mixed,
I'd filter.

It's also possible to use this method with the large
fluted filters. There's no real cost savings to
using the little filters, and the big filters don't
have seams. I recommend the cheapest filters, not
Melitta, because Melitta has some microscopic pores
which are claimed to improve flavor or something.
Those pores may pass the cholesterol-raising compounds
responsible for health hazard in French press coffee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I've been quite satisfied with my Braun, and the Braun before
>that---have had 'em for about 25+ years. But I've noticed that the
>second cup just isn't as good as the first. I turn the machine off
>after brewing because the second cup is usually drunk about an hour
>after the first---and by then it tastes burnt.
>
>So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
>interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
>has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
>I'm used to.
>
>So...anyone out there who has such a coffee maker and can comment on
>it? Again, if it's a "pod" model, I appreciate the information but I
>ain't buying one.

Your warmer is going out. Mine just got cooler and cooler, sounds
like yours is doing the opposite. It'll go out with a pop I guess I
was just at Target yesterday and the small coffee makers looked
smaller to me. I didn't look closely, but they seemed more like 2
cups or one mug. AFAIC all would be fine.

An alternative to buying a one cup pot is to buy a decent glass lined,
insulated coffee carafe and keep your coffee warm in that. It will
stay hot for at least three hours. I'm not advocating this particular
one, just giving you a visual.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I am a one cup of coffee person. More than that, I cannot keep up with
myself. But I do like one strong cup of coffee.

I use the Melitt paper filter and plastic cone thing. I know it is messy,
but it surely works for me. I use two scoops of coffee. After I put all
the cream and sugar in there, I have to nuke it to get it hot again.

For anyone looking for a good one cup all together brewer, this way has
nothing to do with that.

But for me, it's the way I like my coffee, and it works for me.

Your taste may vary.

But mine's right.

Steve ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
"JustWaitAFrekinMinute!" > wrote:

> Bottom line is, even if you don't try the available flavors, it sound
> like this one will do what you need it to do.
>
> Scotty... HTH...

You sound a lot like a shill for one particular brand of coffee machine,
and it's a type of machine the OP expressly said they weren't interested
in.

Also, I find it hard to believe that someone who is "fussy about their
coffee" uses pre-ground flavoured dreck at all. (Oh, and it's espresso,
not "expresso".)

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> I like the available choices when I buy whole beans and regard pods as
> restricting pains. I have never noticed any different results when I use
> a mill type coffee grinder as opposed to my usual simple bladed Braun.

For drip coffee makers, it really doesn't matter.
It matters for French press, where you want a narrow
particle size distribution of coarse particles
because the fine particles get through the filter
screen. It _really_ matters for true espresso,
because consistent particle size and particle
size distribution is one of several parameters
that must be optimized simultaneously for the
best results.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 09:23:21 +1300, Miche > wrote:

> (Oh, and it's espresso, not "expresso".)

An easy mistake when you're spelling phonetically and don't have
spellcheck.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:21:19 -0800, "Steve B"
> wrote:

>I am a one cup of coffee person. More than that, I cannot keep up with
>myself. But I do like one strong cup of coffee.

Agree.

>I use the Melitt paper filter and plastic cone thing. I know it is messy,
>but it surely works for me. I use two scoops of coffee. After I put all
>the cream and sugar in there, I have to nuke it to get it hot again.
>
>For anyone looking for a good one cup all together brewer, this way has
>nothing to do with that.
>
>But for me, it's the way I like my coffee, and it works for me.
>
>Your taste may vary.
>
>But mine's right.

I still have my cones (one that fits right over the coffee cup and one
large sized for multiple cups), but they're from the bygone days of
pre-drip coffee makers. They are still good for camping or the
occasional blackout when you have to break out a camp stove to cook,
but not for the modern world of today.

As far as the amount of coffee you use to make a cup, I agree
completely. I want coffee I can stand a spoon in. Nothing else
(short of an espresso) will do.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 09:23:21 +1300, Miche > wrote:
>
> > (Oh, and it's espresso, not "expresso".)

> An easy mistake when you're spelling phonetically and don't have
> spellcheck.

Really? Two posts about a spelling error? You guys sound fun

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:21:19 -0800, "Steve B"
> > wrote:
>
>>I am a one cup of coffee person. More than that, I cannot keep up with
>>myself. But I do like one strong cup of coffee.

> Agree.
>>
>>I use the Melitt paper filter and plastic cone thing. I know it is messy,
>>but it surely works for me. I use two scoops of coffee. After I put all
>>the cream and sugar in there, I have to nuke it to get it hot again.
>>
>>For anyone looking for a good one cup all together brewer, this way has
>>nothing to do with that.
>>
>>But for me, it's the way I like my coffee, and it works for me.
>>
>>Your taste may vary.
>>
>>But mine's right.
>>

> I still have my cones (one that fits right over the coffee cup and one
> large sized for multiple cups), but they're from the bygone days of
> pre-drip coffee makers. They are still good for camping or the
> occasional blackout when you have to break out a camp stove to cook,
> but not for the modern world of today.
>
> As far as the amount of coffee you use to make a cup, I agree
> completely. I want coffee I can stand a spoon in. Nothing else
> (short of an espresso) will do.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I also have a weakness for single malt scotch. If yer gonna drink
something, don't mess around!

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry > wrote:
> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
> I'm used to.

Keurig coffee brewers allow that; there's a K-cup container that you can
buy and use with your own coffee. FWIW.
-Barb

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 12/28/2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ok, my turn to wade in on this discussion.

I use and have used for the last 12-15 years a Black & Decker Brew 'n
Go. It comes with it's own insulated mug and will make a cup/mug up
to 16 ounces. I grind my own beans and do use a number 1 cone filter
when they are on sale. When not on sale I use a number 2 cone filter
that is folded to fit the coffee basket.

This was a Christmas present I requested many years ago and it is used
every single day of the week. One of the best presents I've ever
received and it was under $25. For me, it's perfect and when this one
dies I will be beating the bushes that day to buy another.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry.........
Black & Decker makes an electric one cup coffee maker. I've been using mine
for a few years now and love it. It uses reusable filters. Because I only
drink coffee a couple of times a day, when I want some, it only takes about
a minute to brew a fresh, hot cup of coffee.

Maureen

"Terry" > wrote in message
> I've been quite satisfied with my Braun, and the Braun before
> that---have had 'em for about 25+ years. But I've noticed that the
> second cup just isn't as good as the first. I turn the machine off
> after brewing because the second cup is usually drunk about an hour
> after the first---and by then it tastes burnt.
>
> So I've been thinking of getting a one-cup coffee maker. I'm not
> interested in investing in pods, I'd rather have a coffee maker that
> has either a reuseable or disposable filter, so I can use the coffee
> I'm used to.
>
> So...anyone out there who has such a coffee maker and can comment on
> it? Again, if it's a "pod" model, I appreciate the information but I
> ain't buying one.
>
> Thanks -- Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>So...anyone out there who has such a coffee maker and can comment on
>it? Again, if it's a "pod" model, I appreciate the information but I
>ain't buying one.

Black & Decker "Cup at a Time." I've been using one for many years.
You can get it for under $20. It uses #1 cone filters or the supplied
permanent filter. Makes excellent coffee, 8 to 12 ounces. When I don't
feel like dealing with the French press, this is what I use.

The only negative is that there is not enough room for it to fill a
tall, insulated mug. (The Brew 'n Go does that.)

Barry in Indy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:21:29 -0800, "Steve B"
> wrote:

>I also have a weakness for single malt scotch. If yer gonna drink
>something, don't mess around!

<laugh> I came from a family of tea tollers on one side and hard core
scotch drinkers on the other. Ever the rebel, I only drink scotch if
it's mixed with Drambui to create a Rusty Nail.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:21:29 -0800, "Steve B"
> > wrote:
>
>> I also have a weakness for single malt scotch. If yer gonna drink
>> something, don't mess around!

> <laugh> I came from a family of tea tollers on one side and hard core
> scotch drinkers on the other. Ever the rebel, I only drink scotch if
> it's mixed with Drambui to create a Rusty Nail.

It was about 35 years ago that I was introduced to Rusty Nails. I liked
them. I got myself a bottle of Scotch and bottle of Drambuie and, not
knowing the proper proportions, experimented until I found the right
one... 100% Scotch. After trying many Scotches over the years I decided
that I liked single malts, and that is what I drank last night to ring
in the new year.