Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Default Sandra's Money Saving Meals: Retro Easy Kitchen Classics

This week's show was new.

Sandra Lee goes back to basics and shows you how
to whip up some all-time favorites without going
broke including Chicken & Dumplings, Salisbury
Steak, German Chocolate Cake Trifle and she'll
show you the secret to making a fantastic Tom
Collins. None of those extras goes to waste as
Sandra shows you her 'Round 2 Recipe' for Savory
Chicken Crepes and an easy R2R recipe for Beef
Arepas available only at foodnetwork.com/round2recipes.

SLop's exlusive online round2recipe is "beef in Pinatas", whatver THAT
is.

SLop once again gave a stupid reason for buying a higher-fat ground
beef.

SLop's poor excuse for Salisberry Steak was scorched on the top and
bottom and floating in a thin watery gravy.

SLop claims it's cheaper to make your own baking mix than to buy
Bisquick.

SLop claims it's cheaper to use cake mix than make it yourself.

--
That's the great thing about Semi-Homemade Cooking: No matter how bad
we think it's going to be, Sandy manages to make it even worse.

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

On Dec 28, 5:21*pm, Ubiquitous > wrote:
> This week's show was new.

> SLop once again gave a stupid reason for buying a higher-fat ground
> beef.

Perhaps you can enlighten me and others......what compels you to
report on someone you personally find objectionable and morally
reprehensible?

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 3:23*pm, Brawny > wrote:
> On Dec 28, 5:21*pm, Ubiquitous > wrote:
>
> > This week's show was new.
> > SLop once again gave a stupid reason for buying a higher-fat ground
> > beef.

> Perhaps you can enlighten me and others......what compels you to
> report on someone you personally find objectionable *and morally
> reprehensible?

And....who apparently no one else cares about??
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:23:05 -0800 (PST), Brawny >
wrote:

>On Dec 28, 5:21*pm, Ubiquitous > wrote:
>> This week's show was new.

>> SLop once again gave a stupid reason for buying a higher-fat ground
>> beef.

>Perhaps you can enlighten me and others......what compels you to
>report on someone you personally find objectionable and morally
>reprehensible?

Presumably he thinks she's funny.
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

"Brawny" > wrote in message
On Dec 28, 5:21 pm, Ubiquitous > wrote:
> This week's show was new.

> SLop once again gave a stupid reason for buying a higher-fat ground
> beef.

Perhaps you can enlighten me and others......what compels you to
report on someone you personally find objectionable and morally
reprehensible?

My thoughts on Sandra Lee is to treat her like an infected boil......ignore
her, refrain from touching her/poking her and maybe, just MAYBE she will go
away. So, if we stop talking about her, stop watching her, MAYBE she will
GO AWAY.
-ginny

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Brawny wrote:
> On Dec 28, 5:21 pm, Ubiquitous > wrote:
>> This week's show was new.

>> SLop once again gave a stupid reason for buying a higher-fat ground
>> beef.

> Perhaps you can enlighten me and others......what compels you to
> report on someone you personally find objectionable and morally
> reprehensible?

perhaps as a humorous warning?
I love reading Ubi's critiques of Sandra. He's usually spot on!
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 5:23*pm, Brawny > wrote:
> On Dec 28, 5:21*pm, Ubiquitous > wrote:
>
> > This week's show was new.
> > SLop once again gave a stupid reason for buying a higher-fat ground
> > beef.

> Perhaps you can enlighten me and others......what compels you to
> report on someone you personally find objectionable *and morally
> reprehensible?

Because she is a drunken lush who somehow got her own tv show. The
crap she 'cooks' is comparable to what a 5th grader, let loose in the
kitchen, might whip up. The woman thinks she is some wonderful chef
who's main goal is mix a bunch of cocktails and chug down. Her
cooking 'tips' are eye popping and it's amazing what she throws
together and thinks it's fine gourmet dining.

Watch her show sometime and you, too, will be shaking your head
wondering who she screwed to get expensive air time.
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 9:57*am, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
> On Dec 29, 5:23*pm, Brawny > wrote:
>
> > On Dec 28, 5:21*pm, Ubiquitous > wrote:

> > > This week's show was new.
> > > SLop once again gave a stupid reason for buying a higher-fat ground
> > > beef.

> > Perhaps you can enlighten me and others......what compels you to
> > report on someone you personally find objectionable *and morally
> > reprehensible?

> Because she is a drunken lush who somehow got her own tv show. *The
> crap she 'cooks' is comparable to what a 5th grader, let loose in the
> kitchen, might whip up. *The woman thinks she is some wonderful chef
> who's main goal is mix a bunch of cocktails and chug down. *Her
> cooking 'tips' are eye popping and it's amazing what she throws
> together and thinks it's fine gourmet dining.
>
> Watch her show sometime and you, too, will be shaking your head
> wondering who she screwed to get expensive air time.

She's also got shows now on HGTV....I keep waiting for TLC to pick her
up, but they seem fixated on little people and couples who don't know
where babies come from....

N.
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>This week's show was new.
>
> Sandra Lee goes back to basics and shows you how
> to whip up some all-time favorites without going
> broke including Chicken & Dumplings, Salisbury
> Steak, German Chocolate Cake Trifle and she'll
> show you the secret to making a fantastic Tom
> Collins. None of those extras goes to waste as
> Sandra shows you her 'Round 2 Recipe' for Savory
> Chicken Crepes and an easy R2R recipe for Beef
> Arepas available only at foodnetwork.com/round2recipes.

I think this is only the second episode of this show I've seen since I
started giggling over Sandra Lee. Let me see if I've got it straight:

1. Ground beef – "80% ground beef is x% cheaper than 93% ground beef,
and the shrinkage isn't enough to make up for that savings."
(grammatical disagreement added for authenticity).
Sandra, people don't buy lower-fat ground beef because it shrinks less.
They buy it because, you know, it has less fat. Less saturated fat. Less
cholesterol. It's healthier! Now, Emeril, Alton Brown, and Tyler
Florence – you know, people who actually finished cooking school - will
tell you to buy 80% to make hamburgers because they taste better
(because that's why people tend to like high-fat foods – it tastes
better). But don't go trying to fool us by saying you invented using it
because it's cheaper. I call SHENANIGANS!
p.s. Think carefully about using the word "shrinkage." Seinfeld pretty
much put his stamp on that one, and I'm not sure that's the image you
want running through your viewer's minds. But I could be wrong.

2. The dreaded Crowded Pan.
Sandra, you don't put five beef patties in a four-patty pan if you want
them to brown. If they're touching, they steam. Yes, even if you burn
the bottoms, the sides are steamed. Use a bigger pan, or do it in 2
batches. It tastes different, honest!

3. Dumping raw flour into liquid.
Ok, I'll give you a semi-pass on this, because you poured the flour on
the veggies and then added the liquid, so one could argue
(unsuccessfully, IMHO, but it's within the realm of possibility) that
some cooking took place before you dumped in the broth. But please note
– you understand the concept of cooking the flour in fat (called "roux"
to anyone who's ever watched Emeril, and from what I've seen, they
aren't exactly rocket scientists over there either) because you used it
on your salisbury steak gravy. It's the same thing. If you don't cook
the fat before you throw water on it, it will not cook, no matter how
long you boil it. Ask Alton Brown why, he explains it really well, with
diagrams about fat surrounding the molecules and keeping the water,
which swells the starch, out….

4. "It's cheaper to make your own baking mix than to buy it premade."
Dear Sandra, there are people who use flour, baking soda, salt, and
shortening without thinking of it as Bisquick. I know you grew up on
Bisquick. I love Bisquick. I use it to make pancakes, dumplings,
biscuits, coffee cake, all kinds of things. But you can just use the
ingredients individually, because you may someday need plain flour
without all the other stuff, y'know?
And, while I'm at it – hey, why don't you show us on TV how to cut
shortening into flour? I'd like to see that. Go ahead, let's see you do
it. For those of us who need things "dumbed down."

5. "Use cake mix because it's cheaper than from scratch."
You think we're gonna buy that one? And why don't you show us, the poor
dumbed-down viewer, how that's done exactly?

6. "I'm making these crepes from a simple crepe recipe you can find on
the website."
Sandy, honey, Alton Brown spent a half hour explaining how to make
crepes. You think we're buying that you just dashed off this batter?
I've become educated over the past few weeks. I know what MV means.

7. "Take these onions that I've already chopped…"
Yeah, I'll just bet you chopped them. Say Thank You to the Food Network
staff, now.

The whole "save x percent" schtick got really old really fast. Please
stop it.

I was pretty brutal on Melissa D'Arabian and her new show, but seeing
her potato torte recipe after a month of learning about Sandra Lee, I
was impressed. She peeled and sliced her potatoes! Grated her cheese!
Rubbed a sliced garlic clove on the salad bowl! (I didn't know people
did that any more, I haven't seen it in a long time, thought it went out
of style). She even – gasp – made a pie crust. Ok, she used a food
processor, but I actually believe she's capable of making a pie crust by
hand. (I, I will admit, am not.)

So I think I've been watching too much Sandra Lee. I'm getting out of
touch with what the average cook is really able to do.

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>SLop's exlusive online round2recipe is "beef in Pinatas", whatver THAT
>is.

I found a picture of the Online round two recipe:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...tascropped.jpg

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
wrote:

Has the Food Network finally gotten so embarrassed by Sandy's lame
attempts at cooking that they're not putting recipes up anymore? Or has
their website gotten so disorganized I just can't find them?

Those were pretty anemic looking crepes Sandy made - and strangely
different from what went into the finished dish. Why didn't she show us
how to make the batter? That's the key to good crepes, after all - and,
as Alton points out, giving the mixture time to hydrolyze, which is too
big a word for our Sandy.

Carbs wrapped in carbs, meat dish following meat dish - at least we got
a salad this week. Maybe it's just me 'cause I spent yesterday canning
stocks and I'm fixated on this, but why was she using a canning jar (the
separate ring and lid are a dead giveaway) to shake her salad dressing?
Why not a regular sauce jar, washed and reused, like normal people do?
Did she have any idea why the production assistant handed her a
container with a cover that came apart? Does she have a clue what it's
used for? It'll work, in a pinch, but it just struck me as weird.

All I remember about Tom Collins is that there used to be special mixes
for it, which I liked as a kid: turns out it's just fizzy lemonade. No
mint.

That was not a sauce on those Salisbury steaks: that was a soup. Must be
a mess to serve and eat. BTW, I seem to patronize the only groshery
store in the hemisphere where sliced mushrooms cost more than whole
ones, per Sandy.

>4. "It's cheaper to make your own baking mix than to buy it premade."
>Dear Sandra, there are people who use flour, baking soda, salt, and
>shortening without thinking of it as Bisquick. I know you grew up on
>Bisquick. I love Bisquick. I use it to make pancakes, dumplings,
>biscuits, coffee cake, all kinds of things. But you can just use the
>ingredients individually, because you may someday need plain flour
>without all the other stuff, y'know?
>And, while I'm at it – hey, why don't you show us on TV how to cut
>shortening into flour? I'd like to see that. Go ahead, let's see you do
>it. For those of us who need things "dumbed down."
>
>5. "Use cake mix because it's cheaper than from scratch."
>You think we're gonna buy that one? And why don't you show us, the poor
>dumbed-down viewer, how that's done exactly?

I've given up trying to figure out from show to show when from scratch
is cheaper than a mix and vice versa. It's either due to a complex
analysis of the particular arrangement of the planets on the day of
filming, or totally random. Or some other sort of Sandy logic not
comprehensible to us mere mortals.

Beef-in-Pinatas will never not be funny. Maybe beating it with a stick
will improve the texture - anything to avoid having to eat the
leftovers!

Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

> I was pretty brutal on Melissa D'Arabian and her new show, but seeing
> her potato torte recipe after a month of learning about Sandra Lee, I
> was impressed. She peeled and sliced her potatoes! Grated her cheese!
> Rubbed a sliced garlic clove on the salad bowl! (I didn't know people
> did that any more, I haven't seen it in a long time, thought it went out
> of style). She even – gasp – made a pie crust. Ok, she used a food
> processor, but I actually believe she's capable of making a pie crust by
> hand. (I, I will admit, am not.)

You'll have more opportunities to take swipes at MD'A - she's got a
"$10 Challenge" or some title like that program on FTV midday, I
think, Saturday or Sunday. Oh, who knows, I'm not gonna watch it.
Anyway, she will make a meal for 4 people for $10 or under.

N.
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 10:57*am, itsjoannotjoann >
wrote:

> Watch her show sometime and you, too, will be shaking your head
> wondering who she screwed to get expensive air time.

I would rather watch YOUR show. When is it on?
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 4:31*pm, "SIR MIKE >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> wrote:
>
> Has the Food Network finally gotten so embarrassed by Sandy's lame
> attempts at cooking that they're not putting recipes up anymore? Or has
> their website gotten so disorganized I just can't find them?

Let's just pretend it is "disorganized".

http://www.foodnetwork.com/sandra-lee/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <c05.75ea2372.386c8e9c@UNKNOWN>,
"SIR MIKE > wrote:

> Has the Food Network finally gotten so embarrassed by Sandy's lame
> attempts at cooking that they're not putting recipes up anymore? Or has
> their website gotten so disorganized I just can't find them?

Sadly, it took me under 30 seconds to find her recipes. We can keep
hoping, though.

jt
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

In article
itsjoannotjoann > wrote:

> On Dec 29, 5:23*pm, Brawny > wrote:
> > On Dec 28, 5:21*pm, Ubiquitous > wrote:
> >
> > > This week's show was new.
> > > SLop once again gave a stupid reason for buying a higher-fat ground
> > > beef.

> > Perhaps you can enlighten me and others......what compels you to
> > report on someone you personally find objectionable *and morally
> > reprehensible?

> Because she is a drunken lush who somehow got her own tv show. The
> crap she 'cooks' is comparable to what a 5th grader, let loose in the
> kitchen, might whip up.

So you're saying she's a better cook than Bobby Flay then?

--
Tiger Woods has just been named "Athlete of the Decade"
His chosen event? The Broad Jump.
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30 2009, 12:06*am, Goomba > wrote:
> Brawny wrote:
> > On Dec 28, 5:21 pm, Ubiquitous > wrote:
> >> This week's show was new.

> >> SLop once again gave a stupid reason for buying a higher-fat ground
> >> beef.

> > Perhaps you can enlighten me and others......what compels you to
> > report on someone you personally find objectionable *and morally
> > reprehensible?

> perhaps as a humorous warning?

Wouldn't re-posting the same review of one episode be enough of a
warning? Why is Ubiquitous watching every episode of her shows if she
is so bad?

It's like a food critic going to a restaurant, writing a review saying
that its' the most disgusting restaurant in the world, and then
keeping on going to the same restaurant on a weekly basis.

Does Ubiquitous have nothing better to do with his time than to watch
this show every week?

> I love reading Ubi's critiques of Sandra. He's usually spot on!

You too must have a very bored life.
Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Way back when I was a lit major, I learned it is a lot more fun to
criticize than to praise.

Some things are so bad they become campy or kitsch.

I say keep the reviews of SLOP coming!