Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why is rosemary .............

sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves? Can you buy it powdered or
mashed? I looked, but didn't see it. I have an ulu with a cutting board
made for it that has a depression in it matching the ulu. It works, but a
lot goes flying.

Is rosemary like bay leaf, intended to be cooked whole, then filtered out of
the final dish?

And IF I do crunch some up, and put it in the pork roast marinade (which I
did tonight for tomorrow's meal), are the particles bitter, or do they
dominate the taste?

Tips on rosemary and its uses appreciated. No jokes about the real
Rosemary, as I once dated her, and she was up for ANYTHING.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves? Can you buy it powdered or
> mashed? I looked, but didn't see it. I have an ulu with a cutting board
> made for it that has a depression in it matching the ulu. It works, but a
> lot goes flying.
>
> Is rosemary like bay leaf, intended to be cooked whole, then filtered out of
> the final dish?
>
> And IF I do crunch some up, and put it in the pork roast marinade (which I
> did tonight for tomorrow's meal), are the particles bitter, or do they
> dominate the taste?
>
> Tips on rosemary and its uses appreciated. No jokes about the real
> Rosemary, as I once dated her, and she was up for ANYTHING.

I buy my rosemary from Penzeys:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...srosemary.html

I like to use the whole. The cracked is convenient when you don't want
those big needles in the finished dish, although I am happy to eat them.
Since the powdered doesn't keep that well, and I don't use it that
often, I grind the needles, whole or cracked, in my mortar and pestle.
They don't fly around if you are careful.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> Is rosemary like bay leaf, intended to be cooked whole, then filtered out of
> the final dish?

No. I eat it in rosemary potatoes quite frequently. Rosemary has a
distinct piney but pleasant flavor. It's powerful, and a little goes a
long way. I usually rub dried rosemary between my hands before using it.
On the other hand, I wouldn't eat the sprig they serve as a garnish
occasionally.
And, my experience is limited. Garlic-rosemary potatoes is my main use
for it. But I love those.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message
> sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves?

Fresh Market sells it ground.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> "Steve B" > wrote:
>
>> sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves? Can you buy it powdered or
>> mashed? I looked, but didn't see it. I have an ulu with a cutting board
>> made for it that has a depression in it matching the ulu. It works, but a
>> lot goes flying.
>>
>> Is rosemary like bay leaf, intended to be cooked whole, then filtered out of
>> the final dish?
>>
>> And IF I do crunch some up, and put it in the pork roast marinade (which I
>> did tonight for tomorrow's meal), are the particles bitter, or do they
>> dominate the taste?
>>
>> Tips on rosemary and its uses appreciated. No jokes about the real
>> Rosemary, as I once dated her, and she was up for ANYTHING.

> I buy my rosemary from Penzeys:
>
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...srosemary.html
>
> I like to use the whole. The cracked is convenient when you don't want
> those big needles in the finished dish, although I am happy to eat them.
> Since the powdered doesn't keep that well, and I don't use it that
> often, I grind the needles, whole or cracked, in my mortar and pestle.
> They don't fly around if you are careful.

I have a rosemary bush in my yard and often when I'm BBQing I'll throw a
branch of the rosemary on the fire. Adds some good smells and taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

> sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves? Can you buy it powdered or
> mashed? I looked, but didn't see it. I have an ulu with a cutting board
> made for it that has a depression in it matching the ulu. It works, but a
> lot goes flying.

If you dry out rosemary leaves they curl up and get nasty. They also
lose their essential oil in addition to their water unless you know
exactly how to dry them.

And so I get them by the twig off the plant on the patio and hang the
twig to dry. Then I mash the leaves just before use if I don't want the
leaves intact.

> Is rosemary like bay leaf, intended to be cooked whole, then filtered out of
> the final dish?

Nope. Rosemary leaves are delicious.

> And IF I do crunch some up, and put it in the pork roast marinade (which I
> did tonight for tomorrow's meal), are the particles bitter, or do they
> dominate the taste?

The oil tends to flow into the rest of the food making the particles
relatively mild.

> Tips on rosemary and its uses appreciated.

It rules in baked goods,stews.

If you live in southern California rosemary is planted on the sides of
the freeways. The stuff grows like kudzu and occasionally they feed it
wrecked cars as fertilizer. The stuff on the freeway side doesn't have
much aroma so I figure it isn't as tastey as the stuff that grows int he
yard. I don't know if that's because it is under watered or over
polluted or wrecked cars are crappy fertilizer. ;^)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

> sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves? Can you buy it powdered or
> mashed? I looked, but didn't see it. I have an ulu with a cutting board
> made for it that has a depression in it matching the ulu. It works, but a
> lot goes flying.

It's sold in it's natural form LOL.

Just put them in a cloth bag, cook your dish and remove the bag.

> Is rosemary like bay leaf, intended to be cooked whole, then filtered out of
> the final dish?

Personal preference really. Powdered herbs and spices are obviously
subject to adulteration. Buying the whole needle rosemary (or whole
peppercorns, nutmeg etc) is better. We just go out to the back garden
and cut off a sprig of rosemary and strip the needles off that

> And IF I do crunch some up, and put it in the pork roast marinade (which I
> did tonight for tomorrow's meal), are the particles bitter, or do they
> dominate the taste?

No need to break them up at all. They will release their flavour oils
into the marinade. Just brush them off prior to roasting. They will
dominate the taste only if too much was used.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Davis" > wrote in message
et...
> Dan Abel wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "Steve B" > wrote:
>>
>>> sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves? Can you buy it powdered
>>> or mashed? I looked, but didn't see it. I have an ulu with a cutting
>>> board made for it that has a depression in it matching the ulu. It
>>> works, but a lot goes flying.
>>>
>>> Is rosemary like bay leaf, intended to be cooked whole, then filtered
>>> out of the final dish?
>>>
>>> And IF I do crunch some up, and put it in the pork roast marinade (which
>>> I did tonight for tomorrow's meal), are the particles bitter, or do they
>>> dominate the taste?
>>>
>>> Tips on rosemary and its uses appreciated. No jokes about the real
>>> Rosemary, as I once dated her, and she was up for ANYTHING.

>> I buy my rosemary from Penzeys:
>>
>> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...srosemary.html
>>
>> I like to use the whole. The cracked is convenient when you don't want
>> those big needles in the finished dish, although I am happy to eat them.
>> Since the powdered doesn't keep that well, and I don't use it that often,
>> I grind the needles, whole or cracked, in my mortar and pestle. They
>> don't fly around if you are careful.
>>

> I have a rosemary bush in my yard and often when I'm BBQing I'll throw a
> branch of the rosemary on the fire. Adds some good smells and taste.

Have you ever used rosemary branches for the skewers for shish-kabobing
meat or seafood?
-g

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ginny wrote:

> Have you ever used rosemary branches for the skewers for shish-kabobing
> meat or seafood?

They work very well for skewering chicken breasts. If you leave a bunch of
leaves at the end, it looks decorative on the plate, too.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 25, 6:20*pm, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> Steve B wrote:
>
> > sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves? *Can you buy it powdered or
> > mashed? *I looked, but didn't see it. *I have an ulu with a cutting board
> > made for it that has a depression in it matching the ulu. *It works, but a
> > lot goes flying.

> If you dry out rosemary leaves they curl up and get nasty. *They also
> lose their essential oil in addition to their water unless you know
> exactly how to dry them.

Rosemary is so much better fresh. Of all the herbs I use, it's the
one I don't even bother with buying dried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 17:30:12 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Steve B wrote:
>>
>> sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves? Can you buy it powdered or
>> mashed? I looked, but didn't see it. I have an ulu with a cutting board
>> made for it that has a depression in it matching the ulu. It works, but a
>> lot goes flying.

>If you know what the plant looks like, you can probably
>find some for free at a local park, library, school,
>or supermarket parking lot. It's commonly used as a
>hedge.

Around here, Mark. Steve B may live where cold and snow kills
rosemary in the winter.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> If you know what the plant looks like, you can probably
>> find some for free at a local park, library, school,
>> or supermarket parking lot. It's commonly used as a
>> hedge.

> Around here, Mark. Steve B may live where cold and snow kills
> rosemary in the winter.

Apparently it can withstand temperatures down to +10F. While most of
our winter weather is above 10, it does occasionally drop down close to
0, and occasionally even colder. I guess that explains why I have to
plant it every year, but the plants are cheap enough and one is more
than enough for my purposes. I like it in lamb and pork and a little
rosemary is great on roasted potatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:16:47 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 17:30:12 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>wrote:
>
>>Steve B wrote:
>>>
>>> sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves? Can you buy it powdered or
>>> mashed? I looked, but didn't see it. I have an ulu with a cutting board
>>> made for it that has a depression in it matching the ulu. It works, but a
>>> lot goes flying.

>>If you know what the plant looks like, you can probably
>>find some for free at a local park, library, school,
>>or supermarket parking lot. It's commonly used as a
>>hedge.

>Around here, Mark. Steve B may live where cold and snow kills
>rosemary in the winter.

Mine is looking just fine after 8" of snow last week, some of which is
still on the ground and below freezing every night since the snow. I
have 2 good sized ones. One is 4' plus planted next to a fence and
the other is about 2 feet and in a planter. The taller one was about
6" and scrawny when I set it out 5 years ago. The other was in a 3"
pot I bought at the farmers market a year later. They are pretty
hearty.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:16:47 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 17:30:12 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>wrote:
>
>>Steve B wrote:
>>>
>>> sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves? Can you buy it powdered or
>>> mashed? I looked, but didn't see it. I have an ulu with a cutting board
>>> made for it that has a depression in it matching the ulu. It works, but a
>>> lot goes flying.

>>If you know what the plant looks like, you can probably
>>find some for free at a local park, library, school,
>>or supermarket parking lot. It's commonly used as a
>>hedge.

>Around here, Mark. Steve B may live where cold and snow kills
>rosemary in the winter.

Rosemary won't survive NY winters. But I despise the flavor rosemary
adds to food... may as well use spruce tree. Rosemary would work
better as Glade terlit deodorizer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:41:15 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:16:47 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 17:30:12 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>>wrote:

>>>If you know what the plant looks like, you can probably
>>>find some for free at a local park, library, school,
>>>or supermarket parking lot. It's commonly used as a
>>>hedge.

>>Around here, Mark. Steve B may live where cold and snow kills
>>rosemary in the winter.

>Mine is looking just fine after 8" of snow last week,

That snow means nothing to rosemary plants depending where you live
and what temperature are you talking... there was lots of snow in the
Caroliners last week. Rosemary will survive an occasional cold snap
but not a prolonged hard freeze. I've tried planting rosemary as an
ornamental shrub, but even on Lung Guyland it won't survive the
relatively mild winters. Here in the Catskills there are long spells
of temperatures below zero, almost always a few weeks of a steady
-20ºF. Anyway, if I wanted my food to taste like Pinesol I have
thousands of Norway spruce... one of the few plants deer won't eat and
they devour most any greenery. And I'll drink any rot gut booze but
not retsina, that's no different from rosemary. I don't cook with
mint either, when I want mint I brush my teeth... I don't like creme
de menthe either. Actually for the past few years I've been using
Tom's of Maine toothpaste, fennel flavor is excellent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Mine is looking just fine after 8" of snow last week, some of which is
>still on the ground and below freezing every night since the snow. I
>have 2 good sized ones. One is 4' plus planted next to a fence and
>the other is about 2 feet and in a planter. The taller one was about
>6" and scrawny when I set it out 5 years ago. The other was in a 3"
>pot I bought at the farmers market a year later. They are pretty
>hearty.

In that case, I wonder why people talk about how they can't grow
rosemary due to winter weather or how they keep it in a pot so they
can take it in during the winter? <shrug> Rosemary is very hearty
where I live, but we don't go much below 40° very often in the worst
of cold snaps.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote
> The Cook wrote:

>>Mine is looking just fine after 8" of snow last week, some of which is
>>still on the ground and below freezing every night since the snow. I
>>have 2 good sized ones. One is 4' plus planted next to a fence and

> In that case, I wonder why people talk about how they can't grow
> rosemary due to winter weather or how they keep it in a pot so they
> can take it in during the winter? <shrug> Rosemary is very hearty
> where I live, but we don't go much below 40° very often in the worst
> of cold snaps.

Depends on location. Here, you can grow hedges with it. Pots are really
too small to work with. Lavender, same thing.

Prolonged cold will kill them, but we live below that belt. Even with
regular 'hair cuts' my lavender and rosemary plants are over 3ft.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 13:09:14 -0800, sf > wrote:

>>hearty.

>I wonder why people talk about how they can't grow
>rosemary due to winter weather or how they keep it in a pot so they
>can take it in during the winter? <shrug> Rosemary is very hearty
>where I live, but we don't go much below 40° very often in the worst
>of cold snaps.

Many people live where temperatures rarely go above freezing all
winter. Where I live the mercury has been between 0ºF and 25ºF for
the past six weeks until today that I'm experiencing a virtual
heatwave, 34ºF and it's raining... but that won't last long. I
probably won't see 40ºF here until like mid April. And the word you
want is *hardy*, not "hearty".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 17:30:12 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>>Steve B wrote:
>>>
>>> sold only in little pine needle shaped leaves? Can you buy it powdered
>>> or
>>> mashed? I looked, but didn't see it. I have an ulu with a cutting
>>> board
>>> made for it that has a depression in it matching the ulu. It works, but
>>> lot goes flying.

>>If you know what the plant looks like, you can probably
>>find some for free at a local park, library, school,
>>or supermarket parking lot. It's commonly used as a
>>hedge.

> Around here, Mark. Steve B may live where cold and snow kills
> rosemary in the winter.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

We have it around here, I just didn't know it was the same food grade.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:23:25 -0800, "Steve B"
> wrote:

>We have it around here, I just didn't know it was the same food grade.

Food grade rosemary? Well, I wouldn't eat the stuff that grows by a
freeway or if there's a chance dogs have peed on it...

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 21:52:39 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:23:25 -0800, "Steve B"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>We have it around here, I just didn't know it was the same food grade.

>> Food grade rosemary? Well, I wouldn't eat the stuff that grows by a
>> freeway or if there's a chance dogs have peed on it...
>>

>What makes you think dogs have not peed on the stuff you buy?

The stuff we buy in the store comes from commercial producers, it's
not "wild". Moot point anyway if you're talking about me, because I
grow my own. I'd be more concerned about mushrooms picked in the
wild.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> In that case, I wonder why people talk about how they can't grow
> rosemary due to winter weather or how they keep it in a pot so they
> can take it in during the winter? <shrug> Rosemary is very hearty
> where I live, but we don't go much below 40° very often in the worst
> of cold snaps.

My rosemary has never survived the winter in Scotland either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 21:52:39 -0500, cybercat wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:23:25 -0800, "Steve B"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>We have it around here, I just didn't know it was the same food grade.

>> Food grade rosemary? Well, I wouldn't eat the stuff that grows by a
>> freeway or if there's a chance dogs have peed on it...
>>

> What makes you think dogs have not peed on the stuff you buy?

it's a better class of dog.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
> > In that case, I wonder why people talk about how they can't grow
> > rosemary due to winter weather or how they keep it in a pot so they
> > can take it in during the winter? <shrug> Rosemary is very hearty
> > where I live, but we don't go much below 40° very often in the worst
> > of cold snaps.

> My rosemary has never survived the winter in Scotland either.

Our rosemary tolerates freezing quite well. However we keep it rather
bushy and don't overharvest in the winter. It doesn't mind being buried
in snow and the ground right now has been frozen for nearly 2 weeks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> news
>> > In that case, I wonder why people talk about how they can't grow
>> > rosemary due to winter weather or how they keep it in a pot so they
>> > can take it in during the winter? <shrug> Rosemary is very hearty
>> > where I live, but we don't go much below 40° very often in the worst
>> > of cold snaps.

>> My rosemary has never survived the winter in Scotland either.

> Our rosemary tolerates freezing quite well. However we keep it rather
> bushy and don't overharvest in the winter. It doesn't mind being buried
> in snow and the ground right now has been frozen for nearly 2 weeks.

Where is yours, Arri?
--
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Around here, Mark. Steve B may live where cold and snow kills
> rosemary in the winter.

When we lived in LA metro the rosemary grew to the size of bushes.
Now that we live in Chicago metro it gets about the size of a volleyball
from spring to fall but so far none of them have survived the winter.
This year there's a pair of rosemary plants in a pot on the deck and I'm
hopeful they will survive this winter. If they don't a trip to nursery
will supply new ones next year.

Some years I've grown zone-appropriate herbs and ended up
underutilitizing them because we weren't familiar with them. Maybe I
should try that again and put more effort into using them. There are
herbs growing under the AeroGarden so the ones on the deck can be
experimental.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> "sf" > wrote in message
> >> news > >> > In that case, I wonder why people talk about how they can't grow
> >>
> >> My rosemary has never survived the winter in Scotland either.

> > Our rosemary tolerates freezing quite well. However we keep it rather
> > bushy and don't overharvest in the winter. It doesn't mind being buried
> > in snow and the ground right now has been frozen for nearly 2 weeks.
> >

> Where is yours, Arri?

SW US. It is on the western boundary of the garden, such as it is. There
is a house behind that strip, but the prevailing cold winds come
unabated from the east. Gets southern sun until the shadow of the tree
in the way covers it. Rarely gets watered unless it rains, and the soil
is still poor despite years of amendments. The dryness is probably the
key; rosemary (and most Mediterranean herbs) don't like being very damp
for very long.

Rosemary Steve B[_7_] General Cooking 47 10-03-2010 02:14 AM
Rosemary uses? cshenk General Cooking 44 16-03-2009 05:54 PM
rosemary Gill Smith General Cooking 42 12-02-2009 06:14 PM
Rosemary Rice Beth Layman Recipes (moderated) 0 06-10-2005 09:50 PM
Dried rosemary biig General Cooking 17 17-04-2005 11:47 PM