Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rice maker/Vegetable steamer

I'd like to buy a rice maker. It would great if it could also double as
a vegetable steamer and/or slow cooker. I would like it to have a
capacity of about ten cups(8 oz). Normally I'd just go to several
websites, look at features and price and buy one, however, the write-ups
I have found are so poor that I cannot figure out what I am buying. For
example the ad will say "cooks rice to perfection", well duh would you
expect it to say 'occasionally does an OK job on rice and turns
vegetables to mush"?.

I realize that this is not a moon rocket, but I do feel that somewhere
there aught to be basic cost/performance info.

What I am looking for is a list of features and specs to tell what is
being sold. I'd like info, for example on wattage, can you steam rice
and vegetables at the same time in separate sections, is the unit
submersible, dishwasher safe, cooking time for white/brown rice, is it
Teflon coated inside, is it thermostatically controlled, timer
controlled, automatic shutoff?, does the power cord unplug etc.?

Is there a site where these things are compared in an intelligent
fashion, where someone can see what features are available and make an
informed decision?

Do you have one? What model would you recommend? What features do you
want? Which features are useful?

TIA,
EJ in NJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

EJ Willson wrote:
> I'd like to buy a rice maker. It would great if it could also double
> as a vegetable steamer and/or slow cooker. I would like it to have a
> capacity of about ten cups(8 oz). Normally I'd just go to several
> websites, look at features and price and buy one, however, the
> write-ups I have found are so poor that I cannot figure out what I am
> buying. For example the ad will say "cooks rice to perfection", well
> duh would you expect it to say 'occasionally does an OK job on rice
> and turns vegetables to mush"?.
>
> I realize that this is not a moon rocket, but I do feel that somewhere
> there aught to be basic cost/performance info.
>
> What I am looking for is a list of features and specs to tell what is
> being sold. I'd like info, for example on wattage, can you steam rice
> and vegetables at the same time in separate sections, is the unit
> submersible, dishwasher safe, cooking time for white/brown rice, is it
> Teflon coated inside, is it thermostatically controlled, timer
> controlled, automatic shutoff?, does the power cord unplug etc.?
>
> Is there a site where these things are compared in an intelligent
> fashion, where someone can see what features are available and make an
> informed decision?
>
> Do you have one? What model would you recommend? What features do you
> want? Which features are useful?
>
> TIA,
> EJ in NJ

There are a number of good ones out there. I have a Wolfgang Puck model like
the link below.
http://kitchen-dining.hsn.com/wolfgang-puck-stainless-steel-steamer-and-rice-cooker_p-5485139_xp.aspx?sf=qc&attr=181&prev=hp&cm_re=Modul ar_Right*element_C_link*CustomerPicks&ccm=qc|181

It is easy to use, does a good job on rice as well as steaming anything you
might want to steam. It is also fairly cheap as well compared to others I've
seen. I've had it now about 6 months using it a few times a week with no
problems at all with it.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 22, 10:30 am, "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote:
> EJ Willson wrote:
> > I'd like to buy a rice maker. It would great if it could also double
> > as a vegetable steamer and/or slow cooker. I would like it to have a
> > capacity of about ten cups(8 oz). Normally I'd just go to several
> > websites, look at features and price and buy one, however, the
> > write-ups I have found are so poor that I cannot figure out what I am
> > buying. For example the ad will say "cooks rice to perfection", well
> > duh would you expect it to say 'occasionally does an OK job on rice
> > and turns vegetables to mush"?.

> > I realize that this is not a moon rocket, but I do feel that somewhere
> > there aught to be basic cost/performance info.

> > What I am looking for is a list of features and specs to tell what is
> > being sold. I'd like info, for example on wattage, can you steam rice
> > and vegetables at the same time in separate sections, is the unit
> > submersible, dishwasher safe, cooking time for white/brown rice, is it
> > Teflon coated inside, is it thermostatically controlled, timer
> > controlled, automatic shutoff?, does the power cord unplug etc.?

> > Is there a site where these things are compared in an intelligent
> > fashion, where someone can see what features are available and make an
> > informed decision?

> > Do you have one? What model would you recommend? What features do you
> > want? Which features are useful?

> > TIA,
> > EJ in NJ

> There are a number of good ones out there. I have a Wolfgang Puck model like
> the link below.http://kitchen-dining.hsn.com/wolfga...teamer-a...181
>
> It is easy to use, does a good job on rice as well as steaming anything you
> might want to steam. It is also fairly cheap as well compared to others I've
> seen. I've had it now about 6 months using it a few times a week with no
> problems at all with it.
>
> --
>
> Joe Cilinceon

I used to think these were some gimick things, how hard is rice?.
Until I worked as a handyman, and every kitchen of an Asian family had
one on the counter. Bought some cheap one and loved it until I lost
it in a move. Got another cheap replacement. Most of them, $15-20,
I've seen them cheaper, come with a steamer. Not worth the time to
think about - go get one. This thing, the slow-cooker (which I like
better than the crock pot because I can brown stuff on the stovetop)
and the wand blender, and the super cheap spring tongs are my favorite
things in the kitchen. And the one decent knife. Of course the
knife. Shouldn't have to mention. A knife, a heat, what do you want
to eat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:30:09 -0500, "Joe Cilinceon"
> wrote:

>EJ Willson wrote:
>> I'd like to buy a rice maker. It would great if it could also double
>> as a vegetable steamer and/or slow cooker.

Don't most rice cookers come with a steamer insert (not fancy, just a
perforated disk that sits 1/2 inch or so off the bottom of the bowl)?
If not, you could use one of these.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

>> I would like it to have a
>> capacity of about ten cups(8 oz). Normally I'd just go to several
>> websites, look at features and price and buy one, however, the
>> write-ups I have found are so poor that I cannot figure out what I am
>> buying. For example the ad will say "cooks rice to perfection", well
>> duh would you expect it to say 'occasionally does an OK job on rice
>> and turns vegetables to mush"?.

I think how long the rice cooker stays on depends on how much liquid
is in the bottom. The appliance has a thermostat that detects when
the temperature rises above 212 degrees F on the bottom of the
container and it turns itself off. My point is that if your
vegetables turned to mush, you put too much water in the rice cooker.
Experiment with amounts. I only ask my rice cooker to cook rice and
sometimes to reheat it. I cook vegetables on the stovetop in a
steamer basket like I showed you above. Guess that makes me old
school.

Can't help you with slow cooking. I do that on the stovetop or in the
oven.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I think how long the rice cooker stays on depends on how much liquid
> is in the bottom. The appliance has a thermostat that detects when
> the temperature rises above 212 degrees F on the bottom of the
> container and it turns itself off.

That part is important for addressing use as a slow cooker.

> My point is that if your
> vegetables turned to mush, you put too much water in the rice cooker.
> Experiment with amounts. I only ask my rice cooker to cook rice and
> sometimes to reheat it. I cook vegetables on the stovetop in a
> steamer basket like I showed you above. Guess that makes me old
> school.

I've had a rice cooker that came with a steamer basket but no
instructions on how to use it. I wrecked several sets of veggie
experimenting. Once I'd learned the correct tiny amount of water it
worked fine from then on. But as you point out using a steamer basket
in a regular pan is so easy it's not worth the effort.

I did consider it worth the effort to learn the ratio of water to rice
to cook brown rice. It takes a lot more water than white rice so it
took several tries to get it right. From then on correct every time.

> Can't help you with slow cooking. I do that on the stovetop or in the
> oven.

The problem with use as a crockpot is the 212F themostat setting.
Unless it's a computerized cooker that lets you change that there is no
way it can be used like a crockpot. Boiling point is too high for any
crockpot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>> I think how long the rice cooker stays on depends on how much liquid
>> is in the bottom. The appliance has a thermostat that detects when
>> the temperature rises above 212 degrees F on the bottom of the
>> container and it turns itself off.

> That part is important for addressing use as a slow cooker.
>
>> My point is that if your
>> vegetables turned to mush, you put too much water in the rice cooker.
>> Experiment with amounts. I only ask my rice cooker to cook rice and
>> sometimes to reheat it. I cook vegetables on the stovetop in a
>> steamer basket like I showed you above. Guess that makes me old
>> school.

> I've had a rice cooker that came with a steamer basket but no
> instructions on how to use it. I wrecked several sets of veggie
> experimenting. Once I'd learned the correct tiny amount of water it
> worked fine from then on. But as you point out using a steamer basket
> in a regular pan is so easy it's not worth the effort.
>
> I did consider it worth the effort to learn the ratio of water to rice
> to cook brown rice. It takes a lot more water than white rice so it
> took several tries to get it right. From then on correct every time.
>
>> Can't help you with slow cooking. I do that on the stovetop or in
>> the oven.

> The problem with use as a crockpot is the 212F themostat setting.
> Unless it's a computerized cooker that lets you change that there is
> no way it can be used like a crockpot. Boiling point is too high for
> any crockpot.

Mine has a rice measuring cup (3/4 of a standard cup), though liquid is
added in a normal cup. It is also marked so you simply fill to the a point
for the amount of rice. As for using it as a steamer you add a standard cup
of liquid for every rack one uses (up to 3) which is pretty much like my
bamboo steamers I use on my wok. It also turns off once liquid is gone then
goes into a warmer mode really simple to use and fool proof. It also works
fairly quickly in that it does the rice in a low level pressure cooker using
a set heat.

I made rice with no problems using a pan on the stove for years and would
still do it but this is really easier in that
you get it ready, turn it on and walk away.

--

Joe Cilinceon