Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2009-12-21) NS-RFC: 'Tis The Season For.... Holiday Treats!

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 16:27:48 -0500, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:42:00 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 14:20:10 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>>>good luck, lou! i have faith in your ability.
>>>

>>I've made home made Italian sausage and stuffed it in casing too, but
>>AFAIC there wasn't a big enough difference to go through all that
>>trouble more than twice.

>I make bulk sausage often, it's hardly worth the trouble to stuff
>casings.

LOLOL.. I've seen pictures you've posted of store-bought sausage
you've bought. IIRC Hillshire farm. You are nothing more than a
hypocritical-bull-shitter. You rant about folks buying mystery meat
yet you buy mass produced sausage because it's too much trouble to
make your own? You're a joke shemp.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 24, 12:10*pm, Becca > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
> > 4-5 kinds of cookies:
> > -mohn cookies
> > -molassas spice cookies
> > -forgotten cookies (have you tried them yet, Damsel?)
> > -almond macaroons
> > -maybe oatmeal cookies
> > latkes
> > stollen
> > raisin bread
> > onion cookies (sort of a cracker)

> The onion cookies sound interesting, I would like to give those a try.
>
> I baked a cake that used 4 egg yolks, so I used the egg whites to make
> Forgotten Cookies. *I made them in two batches, I was afraid the mixer
> would be too full but I was wrong. *It could handle 4 egg whites at one
> time. *I thought about making divinity but I was afraid of the humidity..
>
> Becca

you're not afraid of the humidity when you beat the egg whites?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PEON Decruss wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 16:27:48 -0500, brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:42:00 -0800, sf > wrote:

>>>I've made home made Italian sausage and stuffed it in casing too, but
>>>AFAIC there wasn't a big enough difference to go through all that
>>>trouble more than twice.

>>I make bulk sausage often, it's hardly worth the trouble to stuff
>>casings.

>LOLOL.. I've seen pictures you've posted of store-bought sausage
>you've bought. IIRC Hillshire farm. You are nothing more than a
>hypocritical-bull-shitter. You rant about folks buying mystery meat
>yet you buy mass produced sausage because it's too much trouble to
>make your own? You're a joke shemp.

Pinheaded PEON doesn't know the difference between fresh and
cured/smoked. Folks here are asking about fresh sausage, PEON.
It hardly pays for folks to make their own cured/smoked sausage unless
they are going to prepare it in quantities to operate as a cottage
industry. I consume maybe two three packages of kielbasa a year...
maybe you eat tube steak every day, but then you are a PEON.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:28:02 -0500, brooklyn1

>>>I make bulk sausage often, it's hardly worth the trouble to stuff
>>>casings.

>>LOLOL.. I've seen pictures you've posted of store-bought sausage
>>you've bought. IIRC Hillshire farm. You are nothing more than a
>>hypocritical-bull-shitter. You rant about folks buying mystery meat
>>yet you buy mass produced sausage because it's too much trouble to
>>make your own? You're a joke shemp.
>>

>Pinheaded PEON doesn't know the difference between fresh and
>cured/smoked. Folks here are asking about fresh sausage, PEON.
>It hardly pays for folks to make their own cured/smoked sausage unless
>they are going to prepare it in quantities to operate as a cottage
>industry. I consume maybe two three packages of kielbasa a year...
>maybe you eat tube steak every day, but then you are a PEON.

You sound like jerry sauk.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
> On Dec 24, 12:10 pm, Becca > wrote:
>
>> I baked a cake that used 4 egg yolks, so I used the egg whites to make
>> Forgotten Cookies. I made them in two batches, I was afraid the mixer
>> would be too full but I was wrong. It could handle 4 egg whites at one
>> time. I thought about making divinity but I was afraid of the humidity.
>>
>> Becca
>>

> you're not afraid of the humidity when you beat the egg whites?

You know, I didn't think about the humidity being a problem when I beat
the egg whites for the Forgotten Cookies. They turned out great (I had a
hard time not eating all of them. lol). I know it can cause problems
with Divinity, though.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:09:46 -0600, Becca > wrote:

>Jude wrote:
>> On Dec 24, 12:10 pm, Becca > wrote:
>>
>>> I baked a cake that used 4 egg yolks, so I used the egg whites to make
>>> Forgotten Cookies. I made them in two batches, I was afraid the mixer
>>> would be too full but I was wrong. It could handle 4 egg whites at one
>>> time. I thought about making divinity but I was afraid of the humidity.
>>>
>>> Becca
>>>

>> you're not afraid of the humidity when you beat the egg whites?
>>

>You know, I didn't think about the humidity being a problem when I beat
>the egg whites for the Forgotten Cookies. They turned out great (I had a
>hard time not eating all of them. lol). I know it can cause problems
>with Divinity, though.

Have you already posted your Forgotten Cookie recipe, Becca?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:09:46 -0600, Becca > wrote:
>

>> You know, I didn't think about the humidity being a problem when I beat
>> the egg whites for the Forgotten Cookies. They turned out great (I had a
>> hard time not eating all of them. lol). I know it can cause problems
>> with Divinity, though.
>>

> Have you already posted your Forgotten Cookie recipe, Becca?

No, but I can post it, now. I have made these cookies for many years,
it is a nice way to use leftover egg yolks.

Forgotten Cookies

2 egg whites, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2/3 cup sugar
pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°. Cover one baking sheet with parchment paper or
use aluminum foil, sprayed with PAM. Beat egg whites until foamy, add
cream of tartar. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until they
hold stiff peaks. Mix in salt and vanilla. Stir in pecans and chocolate
chips. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheet. These cookies spread
very little, so you can put them close together. Put cookies in the
oven, then turn the oven off. Leave the cookies in the oven overnight
with the door closed. They should be ready to eat in about 4-5 hours,
though (don't ask me how I know).

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:49:01 -0600, Becca > wrote:

>No, but I can post it, now. I have made these cookies for many years,
>it is a nice way to use leftover egg yolks.
>

> Forgotten Cookies

thanks!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 11:49*am, Becca > wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:09:46 -0600, Becca > wrote:

> >> You know, I didn't think about the humidity being a problem when I beat
> >> the egg whites for the Forgotten Cookies. They turned out great (I had a
> >> hard time not eating all of them. lol). *I know it can cause problems
> >> with Divinity, though.

> > Have you already posted your Forgotten Cookie recipe, Becca?

> No, but I can post it, now. *I have made these cookies for many years,
> it is a nice way to use leftover egg yolks.
>
> * * * Forgotten Cookies
>
> * *2 egg whites, room temperature
> 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
> 2/3 cup sugar
> * * * *pinch salt
> * *1 teaspoon vanilla
> * *1 cup chopped pecans
> * *1 cup chocolate chips
>
> Preheat oven to 350°. *Cover one baking sheet with parchment paper or
> use aluminum foil, sprayed with PAM. Beat egg whites until foamy, add
> cream of tartar. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until they
> hold stiff peaks. *Mix in salt and vanilla. Stir in pecans and chocolate
> chips. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheet. These cookies spread
> very little, so you can put them close together. Put cookies in the
> oven, then turn the oven off. *Leave the cookies in the oven overnight
> with the door closed. * They should be ready to eat in about 4-5 hours,
> though (don't ask me how I know).
>
> Becca

I make mine with mini-chips and no nuts....but basically the same. I'm
always scared of humidity when I do meringue, though. Maybe next time
I wont worry so much!

Holiday Treats T[_8_] Diabetic 3 08-01-2016 11:41 PM
REC: A Few Holiday Treats jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 0 05-12-2009 12:39 AM
Holiday Season. jacquie0 Recipes 0 22-12-2004 08:49 AM
Holiday treats PatyD Baking 5 06-12-2003 03:16 AM
Holiday Treats for Diabetics... PatyD Baking 4 28-11-2003 06:07 PM