Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tamale question

We have decided to try to make some Tamales for Christmas. Becca has
done this before.... I have not.

Question... usually, she uses lard in making the masa but around here,
the only lard we can find comes in huge pails and we don't need anywhere
near that amount so we are planning on substituting Crisco.

Anyone try this? How did it turn out? I'm thinking it won't be a
problem but you never know.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

> We have decided to try to make some Tamales for Christmas. Becca has
> done this before.... I have not.
>
> Question... usually, she uses lard in making the masa but around here,
> the only lard we can find comes in huge pails and we don't need anywhere
> near that amount so we are planning on substituting Crisco.
>
> Anyone try this? How did it turn out? I'm thinking it won't be a
> problem but you never know.
>
> George L

Use the lard, even if the pail is several lifetimes supply. Crisco is
definitely not an acceptable substitute. I'd get fat from the butcher
and render my own lard before I would consider using hydrogenated
vegetable shortening as a substitute.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 10:49*am, George Leppla > wrote:
> We have decided to try to make some Tamales for Christmas. *Becca has
> done this before.... I have not.
>
> Question... usually, she uses lard in making the masa but around here,
> the only lard we can find comes in huge pails and we don't need anywhere
> near that amount so we are planning on substituting Crisco.
>
> Anyone try this? *How did it turn out? *I'm thinking it won't be a
> problem but you never know.
>
> George L

I just Googled "tamales with crisco" and came up with a lot of
recipes. Some suggest butter and some say Crisco is fine because it
will whip up nicely.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:
> We have decided to try to make some Tamales for Christmas. Becca has
> done this before.... I have not.
>
> Question... usually, she uses lard in making the masa but around here,
> the only lard we can find comes in huge pails and we don't need anywhere
> near that amount so we are planning on substituting Crisco.
>
> Anyone try this? How did it turn out? I'm thinking it won't be a
> problem but you never know.
>
> George L

Kay Hartman used to render her own lard for such purposes, and she wrote
great descriptions of the process.
Here from the archives are many posts about the process and making
tamales.
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...d=&lr=&num=100
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:
> We have decided to try to make some Tamales for Christmas. Becca has
> done this before.... I have not.
>
> Question... usually, she uses lard in making the masa but around here,
> the only lard we can find comes in huge pails and we don't need anywhere
> near that amount so we are planning on substituting Crisco.
>
> Anyone try this? How did it turn out? I'm thinking it won't be a
> problem but you never know.

I use Crisco. It works fine.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> We have decided to try to make some Tamales for Christmas. Becca has done
> this before.... I have not.
>
> Question... usually, she uses lard in making the masa but around here, the
> only lard we can find comes in huge pails and we don't need anywhere near
> that amount so we are planning on substituting Crisco.
>
> Anyone try this? How did it turn out? I'm thinking it won't be a problem
> but you never know.
>
> George L

Where do you live? At most every store I've seen, Morrell lard comes in one
pound boxes. Ask your butcher.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Leppla > wrote:

> We have decided to try to make some Tamales for Christmas. Becca has
> done this before.... I have not.
>
> Question... usually, she uses lard in making the masa but around here,
> the only lard we can find comes in huge pails and we don't need anywhere
> near that amount so we are planning on substituting Crisco.
>
> Anyone try this? How did it turn out? I'm thinking it won't be a
> problem but you never know.

It would work for me.

If you are using meat for the filling, you might try rendering the fat
from the meat and using that for at least part of it.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2009 12:49 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> We have decided to try to make some Tamales for Christmas. Becca has
> done this before.... I have not.
>
> Question... usually, she uses lard in making the masa but around here,
> the only lard we can find comes in huge pails and we don't need anywhere
> near that amount so we are planning on substituting Crisco.
>
> Anyone try this? How did it turn out? I'm thinking it won't be a problem
> but you never know.
>
> George L

I've only seen lard sold in 1 lb blocks and 3 (or maybe it was 5) lb tubs.

I used goose fat when I made tamales last year. It's harder to work
with than lard or Crisco because it softens so fast, but it worked just
fine. The Mexicans I worked with at the time (they were in Guadalajara)
used Crisco when they couldn't get good lard -- and sometimes even with
they could but didn't want the lard taste.

You could also probably use coconut oil, or chicken fat.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> George Leppla wrote:
> >
> > We have decided to try to make some Tamales for Christmas. Becca has
> > done this before.... I have not.
> >
> > Question... usually, she uses lard in making the masa but around here,
> > the only lard we can find comes in huge pails and we don't need anywhere
> > near that amount so we are planning on substituting Crisco.
> >
> > Anyone try this? How did it turn out? I'm thinking it won't be a
> > problem but you never know.
> >
> > George L

> Use the lard, even if the pail is several lifetimes supply. Crisco is
> definitely not an acceptable substitute. I'd get fat from the butcher
> and render my own lard before I would consider using hydrogenated
> vegetable shortening as a substitute.

Have had tamales made with Crisco and the taste is just so very Wrong!
Lard is always sold in small packages as well as buckets...look in the
baking section of the supermarket. However, some brands seem to contain
hydrogenated vegetable fats, so avoid those. Any Mexican market will
have decent lard.

It's easy enough to render the lard from pork fat, which many
supermarkets sell. Trim off the meat (use that for broth), wash the lard
and put it into a heavy cast-iron pan. Heat that over low heat until the
fat has melted. Strain off the particles/bits that remain into a clean
bowl. Cover and refrigerate. It lasts for quite a while. Then you will
have lard for tamales, frijoles refritos and biscochitos.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> We have decided to try to make some Tamales for Christmas. Becca has done
> this before.... I have not.
>
> Question... usually, she uses lard in making the masa but around here, the
> only lard we can find comes in huge pails and we don't need anywhere near
> that amount so we are planning on substituting Crisco.
>
> Anyone try this? How did it turn out? I'm thinking it won't be a problem
> but you never know.

I'd not do it. I would not expect it to work well. Lard is so very common.
Manteca comes in 5 pound boxes at every market I shop at. I know you can
get lard in smaller amounts.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

>> Use the lard, even if the pail is several lifetimes supply. Crisco is
>> definitely not an acceptable substitute. I'd get fat from the butcher
>> and render my own lard before I would consider using hydrogenated
>> vegetable shortening as a substitute.

> Have had tamales made with Crisco and the taste is just so very Wrong!
> Lard is always sold in small packages as well as buckets...look in the
> baking section of the supermarket. However, some brands seem to contain
> hydrogenated vegetable fats, so avoid those. Any Mexican market will
> have decent lard.
>
> It's easy enough to render the lard from pork fat, which many
> supermarkets sell. Trim off the meat (use that for broth), wash the lard
> and put it into a heavy cast-iron pan. Heat that over low heat until the
> fat has melted. Strain off the particles/bits that remain into a clean
> bowl. Cover and refrigerate. It lasts for quite a while. Then you will
> have lard for tamales, frijoles refritos and biscochitos.

You failed to mention chittlins....
If you chop up the lard into 1/2 inch chunks, you end up with chittlins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2009 9:59 PM, SaPeIsMa wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
>>

>>> Use the lard, even if the pail is several lifetimes supply. Crisco is
>>> definitely not an acceptable substitute. I'd get fat from the butcher
>>> and render my own lard before I would consider using hydrogenated
>>> vegetable shortening as a substitute.

>> Have had tamales made with Crisco and the taste is just so very Wrong!
>> Lard is always sold in small packages as well as buckets...look in the
>> baking section of the supermarket. However, some brands seem to contain
>> hydrogenated vegetable fats, so avoid those. Any Mexican market will
>> have decent lard.
>>
>> It's easy enough to render the lard from pork fat, which many
>> supermarkets sell. Trim off the meat (use that for broth), wash the lard
>> and put it into a heavy cast-iron pan. Heat that over low heat until the
>> fat has melted. Strain off the particles/bits that remain into a clean
>> bowl. Cover and refrigerate. It lasts for quite a while. Then you will
>> have lard for tamales, frijoles refritos and biscochitos.

> You failed to mention chittlins....
> If you chop up the lard into 1/2 inch chunks, you end up with chittlins

Cracklins. Chitlins is a totally different thing.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. Turns out we are heading
to TX on Monday and will do some shopping. There is a huge
Mexican/Latino population where we are going and getting lard and other
things we need won't be a problem.

Not many Mexicans or Asians living in Shreveport, LA so we'll come home
with a car load of groceries.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. Turns out we are heading to
> TX on Monday and will do some shopping. There is a huge Mexican/Latino
> population where we are going and getting lard and other things we need
> won't be a problem.
>
> Not many Mexicans or Asians living in Shreveport, LA so we'll come home
> with a car load of groceries.
>
> George L

They have a hell of a price for the 55 gallon size at the Mexican markets.

Steve ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 06:59:11 -0600, George Leppla wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. Turns out we are heading
> to TX on Monday and will do some shopping. There is a huge
> Mexican/Latino population where we are going and getting lard and other
> things we need won't be a problem.
>
> Not many Mexicans or Asians living in Shreveport, LA so we'll come home
> with a car load of groceries.
>
> George L

i seem to remember seeing lard (in tubs) in the frozen food section. (i am
in maryland.)

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

SaPeIsMa wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> >> Use the lard, even if the pail is several lifetimes supply. Crisco is
> >> definitely not an acceptable substitute. I'd get fat from the butcher
> >> and render my own lard before I would consider using hydrogenated
> >> vegetable shortening as a substitute.

> > Have had tamales made with Crisco and the taste is just so very Wrong!
> > Lard is always sold in small packages as well as buckets...look in the
> > baking section of the supermarket. However, some brands seem to contain
> > hydrogenated vegetable fats, so avoid those. Any Mexican market will
> > have decent lard.
> >
> > It's easy enough to render the lard from pork fat, which many
> > supermarkets sell. Trim off the meat (use that for broth), wash the lard
> > and put it into a heavy cast-iron pan. Heat that over low heat until the
> > fat has melted. Strain off the particles/bits that remain into a clean
> > bowl. Cover and refrigerate. It lasts for quite a while. Then you will
> > have lard for tamales, frijoles refritos and biscochitos.

> You failed to mention chittlins....
> If you chop up the lard into 1/2 inch chunks, you end up with chittlins

No you end up with grieben or a version of chicharrones (which should
come from pork skin). Chittlins or chitterlings are intestine pieces cut
up and cooked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

> "George Leppla" > wrote in message
> > Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. Turns out we are heading to
> > TX on Monday and will do some shopping. There is a huge Mexican/Latino
> > population where we are going and getting lard and other things we need
> > won't be a problem.
> >
> > Not many Mexicans or Asians living in Shreveport, LA so we'll come home
> > with a car load of groceries.
> >
> > George L

> They have a hell of a price for the 55 gallon size at the Mexican markets.
>
> Steve ;-)

LOL. We can buy it in smaller quantities at the Mexi-mart. It's freshly
rendered and usually still warm and semiliquid. Fresh chicharrones
too...large sheets of it freshly fried.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote

> LOL. We can buy it in smaller quantities at the Mexi-mart. It's freshly
> rendered and usually still warm and semiliquid. Fresh chicharrones
> too...large sheets of it freshly fried.

Don't know how the chicharrones and cracklins stack up against the gratons
of Louisiana. They are cooked with some fat and meat on them. Just the
crunchy skin isn't that great to me. I like the meaty ones.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote
>
> > LOL. We can buy it in smaller quantities at the Mexi-mart. It's freshly
> > rendered and usually still warm and semiliquid. Fresh chicharrones
> > too...large sheets of it freshly fried.

> Don't know how the chicharrones and cracklins stack up against the gratons
> of Louisiana. They are cooked with some fat and meat on them. Just the
> crunchy skin isn't that great to me. I like the meaty ones.
>
> Steve

Two different things really. Home-rendered ones will have some fat and
meat still on them, if one hasn't trimmed off the meat.

Tamale question mack the knife Mexican Cooking 1 15-12-2008 09:39 PM
Tamale Pie Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-06-2006 04:38 PM
Tamale Pie Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 06-05-2006 01:05 AM
California Tamale Pie 7Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 13-11-2004 08:45 PM
Tamale Pie pat Recipes (moderated) 0 21-08-2004 10:01 PM