FoodBanter.com

-   -   Fruit Salad (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/392077-fruit-salad.html)

abe jackson 18-12-2009 01:28 PM

Fruit Salad

Ambrosia Fruit Salad
Submitted by: abe jackson
Shredded coconut and chunks of pineapple, mandarin oranges, marshmallows, pecans and fruit cocktail are folded into whipped topping and chilled. Top with maraschino cherries when serving.

Omelet[_7_] 18-12-2009 04:24 PM

Fruit Salad

In article ,
abe jackson wrote:

Ambrosia Fruit Salad
Submitted by: abe jackson
Shredded coconut and chunks of pineapple, mandarin oranges,
marshmallows, pecans and fruit cocktail are folded into whipped topping
and chilled. Top with maraschino cherries when serving.

gag Sugar overload!
Forget the marshmallows and it'd sound better.

YMMV as always.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Dan Abel 18-12-2009 06:27 PM

Fruit Salad

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
abe jackson wrote:

Ambrosia Fruit Salad
Submitted by: abe jackson
Shredded coconut and chunks of pineapple, mandarin oranges,
marshmallows, pecans and fruit cocktail are folded into whipped topping
and chilled. Top with maraschino cherries when serving.

gag Sugar overload!
Forget the marshmallows and it'd sound better.

YMMV as always.

Well, my mileage says to forget all the rest of the ingredients, also.
I don't mind the coconut and pecans, but that doesn't exactly constitute
a fruit salad.

It's a pity. There have been several good recipes posted in the last
few days, and there is no lack of fresh fruit at my local stores.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Goomba[_2_] 18-12-2009 06:44 PM

Fruit Salad

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
abe jackson wrote:

Ambrosia Fruit Salad
Submitted by: abe jackson
Shredded coconut and chunks of pineapple, mandarin oranges,
marshmallows, pecans and fruit cocktail are folded into whipped topping
and chilled. Top with maraschino cherries when serving.

gag Sugar overload!
Forget the marshmallows and it'd sound better.

YMMV as always.

gag Still kinda disgusting sounding with the inclusion of canned fruit
cocktail and "whipped topping" ---whatever chemical that may be?

Ambrosia= coconut and orange segments. None of that other stuff.

projectile vomit chick[_3_] 18-12-2009 08:00 PM

Fruit Salad

On Dec 18, 7:28*am, abe jackson abe.jackson.
wrote:
Ambrosia Fruit Salad
Submitted by: abe jackson
Shredded coconut and chunks of pineapple, mandarin oranges,
marshmallows, pecans and fruit cocktail are folded into whipped topping
and chilled. Top with maraschino cherries when serving.

Is this my Aunt Sylvia? Is this 1963?

Omelet[_7_] 18-12-2009 09:47 PM

Fruit Salad

In article
,
Dan Abel wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
abe jackson wrote:

Ambrosia Fruit Salad
Submitted by: abe jackson
Shredded coconut and chunks of pineapple, mandarin oranges,
marshmallows, pecans and fruit cocktail are folded into whipped topping
and chilled. Top with maraschino cherries when serving.

gag Sugar overload!
Forget the marshmallows and it'd sound better.

YMMV as always.

Well, my mileage says to forget all the rest of the ingredients, also.
I don't mind the coconut and pecans, but that doesn't exactly constitute
a fruit salad.

It's a pity. There have been several good recipes posted in the last
few days, and there is no lack of fresh fruit at my local stores.

Mine neither.

My recipe for fruit salad?

Okay, here goes.

Equal parts of the following:

Sweet red or green grapes
Sliced ripe peeled nectarine cut into approx 1" portions
Blackberries or Raspberries
Fresh Tangerine slices
Fresh or canned pineapple chunks
Thinly sliced Kiwi fruit (optional)
Cubed Mango
Peeled and cubed Gala apple
Ripe cantaloupe melon balls
Singed, peeled and cubed "Tuna" (aka, ripe cactus apples, they HAVE to
be red!) (optional)
Alternate to the cactus fruit is bananas sliced in 1/4" slices.

For dressing, sweetened sour cream with sweetener of your choice. I use
Splenda, but sugar or honey works fine.

Gentle squeeze of fresh lemon juice to keep fruit from browning...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

projectile vomit chick[_3_] 19-12-2009 07:41 AM

Fruit Salad

On Dec 18, 3:47*pm, Omelet wrote:
In article
,
*Dan Abel wrote:

In article ,
*Omelet wrote:

In article ,
*abe jackson wrote:

[...]

Oh, *GAG*.....for real.......get real.

Omelet[_7_] 19-12-2009 08:10 AM

Fruit Salad

In article
,
projectile vomit chick wrote:

For dressing, sweetened sour cream with sweetener of your choice. I use
Splenda, but sugar or honey works fine.

Oh, *GAG*.....for real.......get real.

I dare you to try sweetened sour cream dear. :-)
You may get a nice surprise...

Sour cream is not "sour" tasting. It's just cultured cream.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Becca 19-12-2009 04:02 PM

Fruit Salad

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
projectile vomit chick wrote:

For dressing, sweetened sour cream with sweetener of your choice. I use
Splenda, but sugar or honey works fine.

Oh, *GAG*.....for real.......get real.

I dare you to try sweetened sour cream dear. :-)
You may get a nice surprise...

Sour cream is not "sour" tasting. It's just cultured cream.

A nice fruit dip is sour cream sweetened with brown sugar.

Becca

sf[_9_] 19-12-2009 06:33 PM

Fruit Salad

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:02:47 -0600, Becca wrote:

Omelet wrote:

Sour cream is not "sour" tasting. It's just cultured cream.

A nice fruit dip is sour cream sweetened with brown sugar.

My kids used to love doing that with strawberries back when they were
kids.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Omelet[_7_] 19-12-2009 06:57 PM

Fruit Salad

In article , Becca
wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
projectile vomit chick wrote:

For dressing, sweetened sour cream with sweetener of your choice. I use
Splenda, but sugar or honey works fine.

Oh, *GAG*.....for real.......get real.

I dare you to try sweetened sour cream dear. :-)
You may get a nice surprise...

Sour cream is not "sour" tasting. It's just cultured cream.

A nice fruit dip is sour cream sweetened with brown sugar.

Becca

Indeed... :-)
Or honey.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Omelet[_7_] 19-12-2009 06:58 PM

Fruit Salad

Omelet wrote:

Sour cream is not "sour" tasting. It's just cultured cream.

A nice fruit dip is sour cream sweetened with brown sugar.

My kids used to love doing that with strawberries back when they were
kids.

I've served fruit with sweetened sour cream for years.
Mom taught it to me and it's wonderful!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein