Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quick & simple vegetable recipes

I am trying hard to eat more vegetables. I could use some help with a
few quick and simple recipes for basic vegetables that will appeal to
a recovering carnivore. I'd like recipes that I can prepare enough for
3-4 meals and store the extra in the frig (or freezer) to warm up the
next day.

I have a good steamer and a good rice cooker.

My favorite vegetables are carrots, corn, peas, most beans (not lima),
sweet potatoes, broccoli, and asparagus. I do not care for Brussel
sprouts.

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 21:24:15 -0800, Prof Wonmug > wrote:

>I am trying hard to eat more vegetables. I could use some help with a
>few quick and simple recipes for basic vegetables that will appeal to
>a recovering carnivore. I'd like recipes that I can prepare enough for
>3-4 meals and store the extra in the frig (or freezer) to warm up the
>next day.
>
>I have a good steamer and a good rice cooker.
>
>My favorite vegetables are carrots, corn, peas, most beans (not lima),
>sweet potatoes, broccoli, and asparagus. I do not care for Brussel
>sprouts.

Do you like squash? I've seen several recipes combining butternut
squash and apples that look delicious to me. I also saw a zucchini
fritter recipe that I'd like to try and stuffed zucchini is a meal in
itself. Recipes follow.

Butternut Squash and Apple Casserole
Posted By White on Rice Couple

adapted from Clean Food by Terry Walters

This butternut squash recipe is really light and flavorful, very
little oil is used. The juice of the baked apples will release will
release while baking. If the squash on the top of the casserole
begins to dry out, just gently stir the casserole to evenly coat the
squash during mid-bake. The natural juices will help the squash cook.

* 1 small butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
* 1 apple, sliced thinly
* 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
* 1/3 cup apple cider or juice
* 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons maple syrup
* 1/4 cup crushed pecans, or 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds (the original recipe called for almonds)

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF

2. Combine squash, apples and onions in a large bowl.

3. In small bowl, whisk together apple cider/juice, oil and syrup.
(I also infused some sliced onions in this juice). Pour half the
mixture into the apples and squash, combine well.

4. In baking dish, pour in squash and apple combination. Pour rest
of mixture over the squash, top with almonds.

5. Cover with foil and bake for 45 min to 1 hour or until tender.

Serves 4-6.

Article printed from White on Rice Couple:
http://www.whiteonricecouple.com

Greek Style Zucchini Fritters
from Closet Cooking

(makes 2 servings)

Ingredients:

2 cups zucchini (grated, and squeezed to drain)
1 handful fresh herbs (such as parsley, dill, mint; chopped)
1 green onion (chopped)
1/4 cup feta (crumbled)
1/2 cup flour
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons oil

Directions:
1. Mix the zucchini, herbs, green onion, feta, flour, egg, salt and
pepper in a bowl.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Spoon the zucchini mixture into the pan and cook until golden
brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.

Stuffed Zucchini
source unknown

INGREDIENTS:
4 medium zucchini
1/4 pound Italian sausage or hamburger
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup crushed saltine crackers or bread crumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crumbled or oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
dash pepper

PREPARATION:
Directions for stuffing zucchini

Cook whole zucchini in boiling salted water until just tender, about 5
minutes. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out the seed
part, mash, and set aside. Place shells in a shallow baking dish;
set aside. In a heavy skillet over medium heat, cook ground meat with
chopped onion; drain off excess fat; stir in smashed zucchini.

Reserving 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese for topping, add remaining
Parmesan cheese to the meat mixture along with remaining ingredients.
Mix well. Spoon mixture into zucchini shells; sprinkle stuffed
zucchini with the reserved 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.

If you like it saucy, pour 1/2 cup tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes or
prepared marinara sauce (seasoned to your liking) over the zucchini
boats before sprinkling on the cheese.

Bake at 350° for 20 to 30 minutes.

Serves 4

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Prof Wonmug > wrote:

> I am trying hard to eat more vegetables. I could use some help with a
> few quick and simple recipes for basic vegetables that will appeal to
> a recovering carnivore. I'd like recipes that I can prepare enough for
> 3-4 meals and store the extra in the frig (or freezer) to warm up the
> next day.
>
> I have a good steamer and a good rice cooker.
>
> My favorite vegetables are carrots, corn, peas, most beans (not lima),
> sweet potatoes, broccoli, and asparagus. I do not care for Brussel
> sprouts.
>
> Thanks

Gingered carrots:

1 lb. of carrots, cleaned and cut into 1" chunks
1 1" bulb of ginger root
1 clove of garlic
2 Tbs. Soy Sauce
2 Tbs. Apple Cider vinegar
1 to 2 oz. salted butter

Steam the carrots until they reach the softness that you prefer.

Finely grate the garlic and ginger root in a separate bowl.
Add the Soy sauce and Vinegar and mix well.
Add the butter and put it in the microwave until the butter is melted.
Whisk well and pour over the steamed carrots.

Peas? Add a little butter and dill weed.
Corn? It's good just as is to me. :-) Many people toss it together with
some pimentos. Beans? Cook it up with ham bones or bacon. Sweet
potatoes? We just ran a thread on that on a.b.f. Depends on your
personal tastes! I just like them steamed or baked with a little butter,
salt and pepper. Broccoli? Steam it and serve with dill weed, lemon
pepper and a very light salad oil. It's also good raw with your choice
of salad dressing as a dip. I like it with Ranch.

Asparagus? The KING of veggies! Steam it and serve it as is. Salt to
taste maybe, or coat it lightly with butter or bechamel sauce.

Hope that helps? :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 9:24*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> I am trying hard to eat more vegetables. I could use some help with a
> few quick and simple recipes for basic vegetables that will appeal to
> a recovering carnivore. I'd like recipes that I can prepare enough for
> 3-4 meals and store the extra in the frig (or freezer) to warm up the
> next day.
>
> I have a good steamer and a good rice cooker.
>
> My favorite vegetables are carrots, corn, peas, most beans (not lima),
> sweet potatoes, broccoli, and asparagus. I do not care for Brussel
> sprouts.

Potatoes, peas and cumin. Taster amazing if cooked right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 17, 9:24 pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> I am trying hard to eat more vegetables.

Good idea.

> I could use some help with a
> few quick and simple recipes for basic vegetables that will appeal to
> a recovering carnivore. I'd like recipes that I can prepare enough for
> 3-4 meals and store the extra in the frig (or freezer) to warm up the
> next day.

Bad idea. One of the good things about vegetables is that there are
many recipes that cook very quickly. Don't settle for leftovers
unless you have to.

> I have a good steamer and a good rice cooker.
>
> My favorite vegetables are carrots, corn, peas, most beans (not lima),
> sweet potatoes, broccoli, and asparagus. I do not care for Brussel
> sprouts.

Carrots (real, not fake "baby carrots"): sliced, in saucepan, water
not quite to cover, pinches of sugar and black pepper, no salt (that's
No Salt), simmer until poking with a fork tells you they are the
texture you like (it's a personal taste thing).

Corn: canned, frozen, or cut from the cob: heat saute pan, add both
butter and oil, add diced zucchini, stir and toss frequently over
medium-high heat until nearly done to your liking (again poke it with
a fork), then add corn and stir to heat well.

Broccoli: steam until done to your liking. Begin testing at 4
minutes, remember that it will continue to cook a bit more after you
remove it from the steam.

Asparagus: break or cut off base ends, peel if necessary, rinse;
mince some garlic, heat skillet over medium flame, add butter and
garlic and stir around until nicely fragrant but not brown, add
asparagus, cook gently for several minutes being careful that the
garlic not burn, test the asparagus with fork or knife beginning after
about six minutes, depending on thickness, remove when done to your
liking.

Asparagus II: smash and chop garlic clove(s), roughly chop a TB
Chinese fermented/preserved black beans, slice asparagus on the
diagonal into 1.5-2" lengths; heat a wok or heavy pan over high heat,
add a TB oil and the garlic and black beans, stir until fragrant, add
asparagus and stir fry two minutes, add a little water and let it
bubble and steam for a few minutes. Chinese black beans and garlic
complement asparagus really well.

Note: any vegetable you can steam or simmer can also be cooked in the
microwave fast and easy. The trouble is it's very easy to overcook
them that way. Zap them for less time than you think they need and
test them. Then finish with very short timings, testing each time.
Frozen vegetables especially seldom need as much as half the time the
package recommends. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 18, 8:38 am, aem > wrote:

> Corn: canned, frozen, or cut from the cob: heat saute pan, add both
> butter and oil, add diced zucchini, stir and toss frequently over
> medium-high heat until nearly done to your liking (again poke it with
> a fork), then add corn and stir to heat well.

Season with salt, pepper, and either a pinch of cumin or a bit of
nutmeg (freshly grated is amazingly better than the pre-ground
stuff). -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 18, 11:14 am, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> aem > wrote:
> > Carrots (real, not fake "baby carrots"): sliced, in saucepan, water
> > not quite to cover, pinches of sugar and black pepper, no salt (that's
> > No Salt), simmer until poking with a fork tells you they are the
> > texture you like (it's a personal taste thing).

> I really disagree with the no salt thing. I'd keep the sugar out
> instead. I see no reason to add sugar to sweet vegetables like carrots,
> sweet potatoes, squash, etc.

My opinion was the same as yours until someone I thought reliable
recommended the change. I tried it and really prefer it. That's all,
do what you like. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:43:59 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

>On Dec 18, 8:38 am, aem > wrote:
>>
>> Corn: canned, frozen, or cut from the cob: heat saute pan, add both
>> butter and oil, add diced zucchini, stir and toss frequently over
>> medium-high heat until nearly done to your liking (again poke it with
>> a fork), then add corn and stir to heat well.

>Season with salt, pepper, and either a pinch of cumin or a bit of
>nutmeg (freshly grated is amazingly better than the pre-ground
>stuff). -aem

Not "better", just stronger.

sf
not a nutmeg fan

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 18, 11:32 am, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> aem > wrote:
> > On Dec 18, 11:14 am, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
> > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > I really disagree with the no salt thing. I'd keep the sugar out
> > > instead. I see no reason to add sugar to sweet vegetables like carrots,
> > > sweet potatoes, squash, etc.

> > My opinion was the same as yours until someone I thought reliable
> > recommended the change. I tried it and really prefer it. That's all,
> > do what you like. -aem

> I'd eat it if served, but I just cannot imagine eating added sugar
> with vegetables. Perhaps I'll have my mind changed.

I admit to using sugar -- just a tiny bit -- with a lot of
vegetables: bok choy, spinach and beet greens to name a few.
Occasionally I make what I think of as French-style peas--peas,
iceberg lettuce, simmered in chicken stock with butter and a pinch of
sugar. Perhaps inconsistently, I also use vinegar with some
vegetables. In both cases, I'm not looking for sweet or sour, just
enough of either to perk up the veggie itself. If you can actually
taste it you've probably used too much. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
>,
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> aem > wrote:
>
> > Carrots (real, not fake "baby carrots"): sliced, in saucepan, water
> > not quite to cover, pinches of sugar and black pepper, no salt (that's
> > No Salt), simmer until poking with a fork tells you they are the
> > texture you like (it's a personal taste thing).

> I really disagree with the no salt thing. I'd keep the sugar out
> instead. I see no reason to add sugar to sweet vegetables like carrots,
> sweet potatoes, squash, etc.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

Ditto.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Prof Wonmug" > wrote in message
>I am trying hard to eat more vegetables. I could use some help with a
> few quick and simple recipes for basic vegetables that will appeal to
> a recovering carnivore. I'd like recipes that I can prepare enough for
> 3-4 meals and store the extra in the frig (or freezer) to warm up the
> next day.
>
> I have a good steamer and a good rice cooker.
>
> My favorite vegetables are carrots, corn, peas, most beans (not lima),
> sweet potatoes, broccoli, and asparagus. I do not care for Brussel
> sprouts.
>
> Thanks

Steamed vegetables tossed with pasta with olive oil make for a quick, simple
and tasty meal. Be sure to learn about the use of herbs and spices to add
flavour to the dishes. And, IMHO, salt is not your enemy; just don't overdo
it. Most cookbooks have charts which tell you what herb/spice goes with
what. But in the end it is your tastebuds that matter Pastas or rice
with vegetables in a simple sauce can easily be frozen for meals to be eaten
at another time.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Prof Wonmug" > wrote in message
>>I am trying hard to eat more vegetables. I could use some help with a
>> few quick and simple recipes for basic vegetables that will appeal to
>> a recovering carnivore. I'd like recipes that I can prepare enough for
>> 3-4 meals and store the extra in the frig (or freezer) to warm up the
>> next day.
>>
>> I have a good steamer and a good rice cooker.
>>
>> My favorite vegetables are carrots, corn, peas, most beans (not lima),
>> sweet potatoes, broccoli, and asparagus. I do not care for Brussel
>> sprouts.
>>
>> Thanks

Try 'Vegetarian Times' website and recipes. I consume very little flesh
food - and I find lots of their concoctions to be tasty. Some are quite
complicated but there is a lot of information.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee wrote:

>>> I really disagree with the no salt thing. I'd keep the sugar out
>>> instead. I see no reason to add sugar to sweet vegetables like carrots,
>>> sweet potatoes, squash, etc.
>>>

>> My opinion was the same as yours until someone I thought reliable
>> recommended the change. I tried it and really prefer it. That's all,
>> do what you like. -aem

> I'd eat it if served, but I just cannot imagine eating added sugar
> with vegetables. Perhaps I'll have my mind changed.

I used to have the same opinion, but Olive Garden (of all places) changed my
mind. Their daily vegetable one day was carrots which had been simply cooked
with butter, salt, and sugar, and it was the best thing there.

I don't know what the Navy does to carrots, but the results are unspeakably
obscene. Sheldon, what do you do to make an inherently-great vegetable so
disgusting?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Prof Wonmug wrote:
> I am trying hard to eat more vegetables. I could use some help with a
> few quick and simple recipes for basic vegetables that will appeal to
> a recovering carnivore. I'd like recipes that I can prepare enough for
> 3-4 meals and store the extra in the frig (or freezer) to warm up the
> next day.
>
> I have a good steamer and a good rice cooker.
>
> My favorite vegetables are carrots, corn, peas, most beans (not lima),
> sweet potatoes, broccoli, and asparagus. I do not care for Brussel
> sprouts.
>
> Thanks

IMO, nothing brings out the flavor of vegetables better than grilling.

I like grilled Asparagus, grilled summer squash, and grilled corn on the
cob.

For the asparagus, brush with olive oil, and lightly cover with garlic
salt. Grille till done to your liking.

I do the same with summer squash after cutting it about 1/4 inch thick
strips lengthwise.

You can also grille corn on the cob using the same seasonings.

EJ in NJ