Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default In the toe of the stocking

In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
(and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
rest of the stockings).

Any other traditional sweets gifts?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 11:32*am, "Felice" > wrote:

> Any other traditional sweets gifts?

We always had an orange in the toe, to give it shape, I guess. ALWAYS
- those bags of gold chocolate coins.

Santa always found milk and a couple of Italian cookies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 11:32 am, "Felice" > wrote:
> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> rest of the stockings).
>
> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>
> Felice

We always got oranges and walnuts. Not a big deal for us, but for the
folks, growing up rural in the last depression, out-of-season tropical
fruit probably was something special.

Bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:32:26 -0500, Felice wrote:

> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> rest of the stockings).
>
> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>
> Felice

i buy my mother a couple jars of honey every year because she stopped
buying god knows how many years ago when some sugar crisis caused the price
to shoot up.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:
> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> rest of the stockings).
>
> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>
> Felice

A tangerine stuffed down in the toe. (an orange, but better :-)

Whole walnuts and pecans mixed in with the toys and maybe a few candies.

Candy canes sticking out the top.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message
> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> rest of the stockings).
>
> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>
> Felice

"..and in the corner of the stocking was a little sugar mouse."

My parents always put them in our stockings and I've started the same
tradition with my grandchildren. They're not easy to find on this side of
the pond, however.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:32:26 -0500, Felice wrote:
>
>> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
>> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the
>> toe
>> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied
>> the
>> rest of the stockings).
>>
>> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>>
>> Felice

> i buy my mother a couple jars of honey every year because she stopped
> buying god knows how many years ago when some sugar crisis caused the
> price
> to shoot up.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Nice boy! My guess is that she could buy herself some honey but still thinks
of it as a "luxury" and is delighted with your gift.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:
> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> rest of the stockings).
>
> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>
> Felice

Do your children ever borrow things from you and you have a devil of a
time getting it back? After they became teenagers, those were the
things that became "traditional" in my house. They would get scissors,
nail clippers, rulers, highlighters, magnifying glass, push pins, etc.
They would also get treats, and every year they would get a Christmas
Pez dispenser whether they liked it or not. I am surprised they didn't
run away from home. ;-)

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 12:36*pm, Becca > wrote:
> Felice wrote:
> > In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> > Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> > (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> > rest of the stockings).

> > Any other traditional sweets gifts?

> > Felice

> Do your children ever borrow things from you and you have a devil of a
> time getting it back? *After they became teenagers, those were the
> things that became "traditional" in my house. *They would get scissors,
> nail clippers, rulers, highlighters, magnifying glass, push pins, etc. *
> They would also get treats, and every year they would get a Christmas
> Pez dispenser whether they liked it or not. *I am surprised they didn't
> run away from home. *;-)

I get a laugh out of what they term stocking stuffers on such shows as
QVC. These items ain't in the five buck range. Ha. They obviously
think everyone is well off - well, maybe not - I notice they are
offering easy pay on just about everything these days.

I have to go to an affair with a five buck grab gift - I always take
the Farberware bag clips which are met with smiles. The four in one
screwdriver is also a perennial for the men.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message
> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> rest of the stockings).
>
> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>
> Felice

Remember Life Savers candy that cam in what looked like a book? I think it
had 8 or 10 rolls total.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:
> After they became teenagers, those were the things that became
> "traditional" in my house. They would get scissors, nail clippers,
> rulers, highlighters, magnifying glass, push pins, etc.
> Becca

Yahbut did it stop them from using yours? Around here it wouldn't have.
And when I was a kid, having more than one of something would be
frivolous and deemed unnecessary because "we already have one."
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 12-10-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 10:32*am, "Felice" > wrote:
> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> rest of the stockings).
>
> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>
> Felice

Oranges, definitely. Also in the stocking: chocolate money (foil-
covered chocolate "coins"), a new toothbrush, a candy cane, and one
brand-new penney for each birthday (among other stuff).

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:44:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Becca > wrote:
>> After they became teenagers, those were the things that became
>> "traditional" in my house. They would get scissors, nail clippers,
>> rulers, highlighters, magnifying glass, push pins, etc.
>> Becca

>Yahbut did it stop them from using yours? Around here it wouldn't have.

The same thing happened at my house. They always knew where mine
were, but they didn't have enough organization to put theirs back in
the same place (put it back at all is more like it). I actually
labeled my scissors "Mom" at one point, but that didn't stop them from
going AWOL anyway.

>And when I was a kid, having more than one of something would be
>frivolous and deemed unnecessary because "we already have one."

I remember hearing that too.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Felice" > wrote in message
>> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
>> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the
>> toe (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they
>> emptied the rest of the stockings).
>>
>> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>>
>> Felice
>>

> Remember Life Savers candy that cam in what looked like a book? I think
> it had 8 or 10 rolls total.

i remember them. we always had to find someone willing to trade for the
peppermint and spearmint life savers. heh heh.
the book concept made it seem that you were "rich" with candy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On Dec 15, 10:32 am, "Felice" > wrote:
> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> rest of the stockings).
>
> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>
> Felice

Oranges, definitely. Also in the stocking: chocolate money (foil-
covered chocolate "coins"), a new toothbrush, a candy cane, and one
brand-new penney for each birthday (among other stuff).

Nancy

After the chocolate coins and the candy canes, the toothbrush was a nice
touch. Ah, parents!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Becca > wrote:
>
>> After they became teenagers, those were the things that became
>> "traditional" in my house. They would get scissors, nail clippers,
>> rulers, highlighters, magnifying glass, push pins, etc.
>> Becca
>>

> Yahbut did it stop them from using yours? Around here it wouldn't have.
> And when I was a kid, having more than one of something would be
> frivolous and deemed unnecessary because "we already have one."

No, it never worked. They kept borrowing mine because they could never
find theirs. They were pretty good kids, but this was one of their
little ways to drive me crazy. I'm glad I didn't have a dozen of them.
I would be nuts for sure. lol

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 10:32*am, "Felice" > wrote:
> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> rest of the stockings).
>
> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>
> Felice

I always got batteries in mine.

Direly needed batteries for all my other toys! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 1:23*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Felice" > wrote in message

> > In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> > Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> > (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> > rest of the stockings).

> > Any other traditional sweets gifts?

> > Felice

> Remember Life Savers candy that cam in what looked like a book? *I think it
> had 8 or 10 rolls total.

YES!! It was called A Sweet Story!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Felice" > wrote:
>
>> Any other traditional sweets gifts?

> We do our stockings on the actual feast of St. Nicholas, which is
> December 6. We put the stockings out the night before, leave a carrot
> for his horse and the children (and us) wait for our treats.

<snip>

What a great tradition! I don't remember ever doing anything like that as a
kid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Felice" > wrote in message
>> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
>> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the
>> toe (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they
>> emptied the rest of the stockings).
>>
>> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>>
>> Felice
>>

> Remember Life Savers candy that cam in what looked like a book? I think
> it had 8 or 10 rolls total.

That was the first thing that popped into my head for sweet treats at
Christmas, but we used to always have to give them as gifts for gift
exchange at school or girl scouts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
>Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
>(and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
>rest of the stockings).
>
>Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>
>Felice

A package of Charms.

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/charms.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:54:17 GMT, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

>The message >
>from "Felice" > contains these words:
>
>> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
>> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
>> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
>> rest of the stockings).

>> Any other traditional sweets gifts?

> Chocolate "golden coin", and a tangerine.

Musta been a stocking hanging from a Hanukah bush.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
>Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
>(and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
>rest of the stockings).
>
>Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>
>Felice

When I was a kid, our church would give each of us a navel orange and
a box of miniature candies from Boyer Brothers. Miniature Mallo Cups,
Smoothies, Peanut butter cup, coconut-filled cup, and some other sort
of cup, I forget what. I *lived* for the coconut cups. Could never
find them as full-size candy bars, had to settle for Almond Joy. :-)

We don't have a traditional filler for our stockings today. Well...
actually we do... it's me. *I* fill the stockings because the wife
can't think of anything much after "candy". This year the daughters
get little bottles of cologne, body wash, lotion, and a tire gauge
(well...they *need* one) and of course five or six kinds of candy.

Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:54:38 -0600, Terry >
wrote:

>When I was a kid, our church would give each of us a navel orange and
>a box of miniature candies from Boyer Brothers. Miniature Mallo Cups,
>Smoothies, Peanut butter cup, coconut-filled cup, and some other sort
>of cup, I forget what. I *lived* for the coconut cups. Could never
>find them as full-size candy bars, had to settle for Almond Joy. :-)

My mom made a christmas "ball" for us a few years when we were under
10. Apparently it was part or her childhood and it was probably
Victorian. The wrapping was a crepe streamer roll. An orange was at
the core and every few turns there was some sort of small trinket, a
piece of candy etc. It was kinda fun to unroll/wrap. I'm thinking
Ranee might enjoy doing it for her kids... hmmm. I think I'll do it
for my 8yo grandson. I can hide a couple of Hot Wheels cars or action
figures in there. He's not big on sweets.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> We always got an orange and a bag of those chocolate, gold foil
> wrapped coins. We always loved the coins IIRC. As we got older,
> additional items were added in the stockings. They were usually
> small items we needed. One year I got a new lead rope for my horse.
> Another I got brushes for the dog. The orange and the coins always
> remained a constant though. Even to this day mother has stockings
> for
> us with the coins and oranges.
>
> Michael

Yes, I always got an orange in the toe and always a little gold-mesh
sack containing gold coins - my Dad told me it was pirates' gold,
which added to the excitement. I don't remember the other things -
always little books, though. Plus the string ball - a large ball of
carefully wrapped string, bigger than a baseball. The string was in
short pieces and unwrapping took forever. The fun find in the center
after all that? - a sixpence (about the size of a dime).

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 5:09*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Dec 15, 10:32*am, "Felice" > wrote:
>
> > In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> > Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> > (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> > rest of the stockings).

> > Any other traditional sweets gifts?

> > Felice

> I always got batteries in mine.
>
> Direly needed batteries for all my other toys! :-)

Sweet.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--Bryan wrote:
> On Dec 15, 5:09 pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>> On Dec 15, 10:32 am, "Felice" > wrote:
>>
>>> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
>>> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
>>> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
>>> rest of the stockings).
>>> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>>> Felice

>> I always got batteries in mine.

When I was a kid back in Brooklyn, NY... we were told that if we were
bad children, the only thing we would get in our stockings was coal.
Back then, the brownstone we lived in had a coal fired furnace and one
year, we put coal in the stocking of a favorite Uncle and hung it on the
mantle. Uncle Fritz acted surprised and played it to the hilt...
running to the window and leaning out yelling "Damn you, Santa...... you
got the WRONG FRITZ!!!! I've been good!!!!!".

We usually got an orange in our stockings, along with hard candies, nuts
and small toys like tops, balsa wood airplanes, yo-yo's, etc

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 10:32*am, "Felice" > wrote:
> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> rest of the stockings).
>
> Any other traditional sweets gifts?

Not sweet, but how about a can of sardines in mustard sauce or some
kippers?

Bad children get canned spinach.

> Felice

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> Even to this day mother has stockings for us with the coins and
> oranges.

> Michael

Yeay, mom!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 12/15/2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:36:07 -0500, Felice wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:32:26 -0500, Felice wrote:
>>
>>> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
>>> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the
>>> toe
>>> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied
>>> the
>>> rest of the stockings).
>>>
>>> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>>>
>>> Felice

>> i buy my mother a couple jars of honey every year because she stopped
>> buying god knows how many years ago when some sugar crisis caused the
>> price
>> to shoot up.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Nice boy! My guess is that she could buy herself some honey but still thinks
> of it as a "luxury" and is delighted with your gift.
>
> Felice

she seems to dig it, even though it must be predictable after fifteen
(twenty?) years. i think she mostly puts it in tea.

once she decides something is 'too expensive,' that's it, brother.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:36:21 -0600, Becca wrote:

> Felice wrote:
>> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
>> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
>> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
>> rest of the stockings).
>>
>> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>>
>> Felice

> Do your children ever borrow things from you and you have a devil of a
> time getting it back? After they became teenagers, those were the
> things that became "traditional" in my house. They would get scissors,
> nail clippers, rulers, highlighters, magnifying glass, push pins, etc.

i've given my mother some 'good' scissors before. i told her, 'here's the
thing: don't tell these other people where you keep them.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:23:21 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Felice" > wrote in message
>> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
>> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
>> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
>> rest of the stockings).
>>
>> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>>
>> Felice
>>

> Remember Life Savers candy that cam in what looked like a book? I think it
> had 8 or 10 rolls total.

i do indeed. my mother's mother was always good for a volume.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:52:44 -0500, Cheryl wrote:

> "Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Felice" > wrote:
>>
>>> Any other traditional sweets gifts?

>> We do our stockings on the actual feast of St. Nicholas, which is
>> December 6. We put the stockings out the night before, leave a carrot
>> for his horse and the children (and us) wait for our treats.

> <snip>
>
> What a great tradition! I don't remember ever doing anything like that as a
> kid.

i told my dad that santa must get tired of cocoa and cookies - maybe we
should leave him a shot of whisky. he thought that was a *great* idea.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:14:37 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>
>> Even to this day mother has stockings for us with the coins and
>> oranges.

>> Michael

> Yeay, mom!

i still get a stocking, and i'm fifty-seven. (jeez, i hope this doesn't
jinx it.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 07:30:47 -0800 (PST), --Bryan >
wrote:

>On Dec 15, 10:32*am, "Felice" > wrote:
>> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
>> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
>> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
>> rest of the stockings).
>>
>> Any other traditional sweets gifts?

>Not sweet, but how about a can of sardines in mustard sauce or some
>kippers?
>
>Bad children get canned spinach.
>>
>> Felice

>--Bryan

Thanks for the reminder! I need to go out and get some "coal" candy.
Lumps of black hard candy that look like coal.

I deserve some, I have been naughty...;-)

Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:

> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> rest of the stockings).
>
> Any other traditional sweets gifts?
>
> Felice

For St Nikolas Day (6 Dec) we used to get chocolate letters (we didn't
use stockings). Since they weren't available all year, that was a real
treat! For Christmas we got an assortment of dried figs, dates, oranges
(the huge Jaffa sort), nuts in the shell, chocolates and biscuits (such
as lebkuchen and speculaas) in a special dish called 'bunte Teller'. We
still do that except for the chocolate letters which are too expensive!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 16, 5:09*pm, Terry > wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 07:30:47 -0800 (PST), --Bryan >
> wrote:
>

> >On Dec 15, 10:32*am, "Felice" > wrote:
> >> In days of yore, I understand oranges were a prized treat in a child's
> >> Christmas stocking. We've always tucked a wee Whitman's Sampler in the toe
> >> (and, of course, the kids swapped out flavors even before they emptied the
> >> rest of the stockings).

> >> Any other traditional sweets gifts?

> >Not sweet, but how about a can of sardines in mustard sauce or some
> >kippers?

> >Bad children get canned spinach.

> >> Felice

> >--Bryan

> Thanks for the reminder! *I need to go out and get some "coal" candy.
> Lumps of black hard candy that look like coal.
>
> I deserve some, I have been naughty...;-)

"She's good bad, but she ain't evil"
--Johnny Thunders

> Terry

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 16, 10:28*pm, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>
> *There was often a really delicious Delicions apple (when they still had a flavor).

I had a wonderful Red Delicious a few days ago. Red Delicious are a
favorite, but they can also be one of the worst. When they get mealy--
which they do too often--they are awful.

> * * * * * * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 7:25*am, --Bryan > wrote:
> On Dec 16, 10:28*pm, Wayne Boatwright
>
> > wrote:
>
> > *There was often a really delicious Delicions apple (when they still had a flavor).

> I had a wonderful Red Delicious a few days ago. *Red Delicious are a
> favorite, but they can also be one of the worst. *When they get mealy--
> which they do too often--they are awful.

I've been eating Honey Crisps lately. YUM! I like Pink Ladys too (of
course!)

Yeah, I know about the mealiness of Red Delicious. Ugh! :-(

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
ffu ffu is offline

On Dec 17, 7:25*am, --Bryan > wrote:
-->> On Dec 16, 10:28*pm, Wayne Boatwright
-->>
-->> > wrote:
-->>
-->> > *There was often a really delicious Delicions apple (when they still had
a flavor).
-->>
-->> I had a wonderful Red Delicious a few days ago. *Red Delicious are a
-->> favorite, but they can also be one of the worst. *When they get mealy--
-->> which they do too often--they are awful.

I wonder why this is, picked too late, allowed to sit in warehouses? We've been
getting a great deal of red delicous with no taste and something of a coarse
texture lately here as well.