FoodBanter.com

-   -   Hot Buttered Rum (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/391972-hot-buttered-rum.html)

golfstar2006 15-12-2009 05:38 AM

Hot Buttered Rum

Anyone ever tried hot buttered rum or hot buttered rum batter drinks for the holidays? They seem interesting to me, but I've never gotten around to actually making them... I don't think my crew would like them. Anyone ever tried these?

-Cheers

stark 15-12-2009 12:38 PM

Hot Buttered Rum

On Dec 14, 11:38*pm, golfstar2006
> wrote:
> Anyone ever tried hot buttered rum or hot buttered rum batter drinks for
> the holidays? *They seem interesting to me, but I've never gotten around
> to actually making them... I don't think my crew would like them.
> Anyone ever tried these? *
>
> -Cheers
>
> --
> golfstar2006

Yeap. Many years ago I ordered one via room service at a Providence,
RI hotel. Problem was my room was in a hotel extension, it was mid-
winter and snowing, and when my rum arrived it was sprinkled with snow
flakes and the butter partially congealed. Unpleasant looking; don't
believe I tasted it.

sf[_9_] 15-12-2009 07:27 PM

Hot Buttered Rum

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 04:38:57 -0800 (PST), stark
> wrote:

>On Dec 14, 11:38*pm, golfstar2006
> wrote:
>> Anyone ever tried hot buttered rum or hot buttered rum batter drinks for
>> the holidays? *They seem interesting to me, but I've never gotten around
>> to actually making them... I don't think my crew would like them.
>> Anyone ever tried these? *
>>
>> -Cheers

I used to buy one jar of each and I really liked the calorific Tom &
Jerry batter. The trick to making it extra rich is to add a 1/2 tsp
of *instant* coffee to it before you pour in the hot water.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Janet Bostwick[_2_] 15-12-2009 07:55 PM

Hot Buttered Rum

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 04:38:57 -0800 (PST), stark
> > wrote:
>
>>On Dec 14, 11:38 pm, golfstar2006
> wrote:
>>> Anyone ever tried hot buttered rum or hot buttered rum batter drinks for
>>> the holidays? They seem interesting to me, but I've never gotten around
>>> to actually making them... I don't think my crew would like them.
>>> Anyone ever tried these?
>>>
>>> -Cheers
>>>

> I used to buy one jar of each and I really liked the calorific Tom &
> Jerry batter. The trick to making it extra rich is to add a 1/2 tsp
> of *instant* coffee to it before you pour in the hot water.

Tom and Jerry's were always my dad's specialty for New Year's Eve. That's
the only time I ever saw him doing something in the kitchen. But he'd stand
over the Mixmaster and whip up the egg whites. The made from scratch stuff
doesn't taste anything like the store batter.
Janet

sf[_9_] 15-12-2009 08:23 PM

Hot Buttered Rum

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:55:14 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 04:38:57 -0800 (PST), stark
>> > wrote:

>> I used to buy one jar of each and I really liked the calorific Tom &
>> Jerry batter. The trick to making it extra rich is to add a 1/2 tsp
>> of *instant* coffee to it before you pour in the hot water.
>>

>Tom and Jerry's were always my dad's specialty for New Year's Eve. That's
>the only time I ever saw him doing something in the kitchen. But he'd stand
>over the Mixmaster and whip up the egg whites. The made from scratch stuff
>doesn't taste anything like the store batter.

Well, that's what I do. I don't make it from scratch. If I had to,
I'd never have any. Same with eggnog. I just don't drink enough at
any one time to merit making a batch. I do remember making
nonalcoholic eggnog with my grandmother and it was not as complicated
as the recipes I see on the net for party nogs.

Do you have your Dad's Tom & Jerry recipe? I don't think I've ever
seen one.

merryb 15-12-2009 10:27 PM

Hot Buttered Rum

On Dec 14, 9:38*pm, golfstar2006
> wrote:
> Anyone ever tried hot buttered rum or hot buttered rum batter drinks for
> the holidays? *They seem interesting to me, but I've never gotten around
> to actually making them... I don't think my crew would like them.
> Anyone ever tried these? *
>
> -Cheers
>
> --
> golfstar2006

I've made it before from vanilla ice cream, brown sugar, and not sure
what else. I do remember having a nasty hangover, probably from all
that sugar...

Janet Bostwick[_2_] 15-12-2009 10:44 PM

Hot Buttered Rum

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:55:14 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> > wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 04:38:57 -0800 (PST), stark

>>> I used to buy one jar of each and I really liked the calorific Tom &
>>> Jerry batter. The trick to making it extra rich is to add a 1/2 tsp
>>> of *instant* coffee to it before you pour in the hot water.
>>>

>>Tom and Jerry's were always my dad's specialty for New Year's Eve. That's
>>the only time I ever saw him doing something in the kitchen. But he'd
>>stand
>>over the Mixmaster and whip up the egg whites. The made from scratch
>>stuff
>>doesn't taste anything like the store batter.

> Well, that's what I do. I don't make it from scratch. If I had to,
> I'd never have any. Same with eggnog. I just don't drink enough at
> any one time to merit making a batch. I do remember making
> nonalcoholic eggnog with my grandmother and it was not as complicated
> as the recipes I see on the net for party nogs.
>
> Do you have your Dad's Tom & Jerry recipe? I don't think I've ever
> seen one.

Yeah, I've got his recipe around somewhere. I must have put it in a really
safe place because I don't remember seeing it in a couple of years. New
Year's Eve was a big deal with my folks and their friends. That was the
evening my folks stayed home and others stopped for a chat, some cookies or
snacks and a Tom and Jerry then they'd go on to someone else's house. It
wasn't a boozy evening, more of an open house and the whole thing done after
church. I miss the winter holidays. We had such a huge family and friend
base that Christmas Eve and Day and New Year's Eve and Day were just one big
crowded deal of big meals, great food, bunches of kids. Tables were never
big enough. The kids got another room and some sort of arrangement that
meant you better hit the bathroom first, because once seated, you weren't
going to get out again until everyone was done eating. I'll look for the
recipe. If I find it, I'll post it. It wasn't complicated.
Janet

Dave Smith[_1_] 15-12-2009 10:59 PM

Hot Buttered Rum

golfstar2006 wrote:
> Anyone ever tried hot buttered rum or hot buttered rum batter drinks for
> the holidays? They seem interesting to me, but I've never gotten around
> to actually making them... I don't think my crew would like them.
> Anyone ever tried these?

Not just for the holidays. I often have them on cold winter nights,
especially if I feel like I am coming down with something. Use a decent
dark rum. Pour it into a mug and add boiling water until it is about the
colour of strong tea. You can add a little bit of brown sugar and/or
honey and a little bit of *unsalted* butter.

sf[_9_] 15-12-2009 11:34 PM

Hot Buttered Rum

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:44:12 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message

>> Do you have your Dad's Tom & Jerry recipe? I don't think I've ever
>> seen one.
>>

>Yeah, I've got his recipe around somewhere. I must have put it in a really
>safe place because I don't remember seeing it in a couple of years. New
>Year's Eve was a big deal with my folks and their friends. That was the
>evening my folks stayed home and others stopped for a chat, some cookies or
>snacks and a Tom and Jerry then they'd go on to someone else's house. It
>wasn't a boozy evening, more of an open house and the whole thing done after
>church. I miss the winter holidays.

When my mom's parents were older, they moved out here and everyone
(except me) moved down to San Diego county. I remember being down
there for the holidays, but I don't remember if it was Christmas Day
or New Year's Day when they had their open house. There was a big pot
of glögg on the back of the stove and people dropped by to chat all
day long. It's a nice tradition that I haven't continued. Maybe I
will in 10 years or so.

> I'll look for the recipe. If I find it, I'll post it. It wasn't complicated.

Thanks I appreciate it.