Katra

Default Atkins/Greenwich rice substitute???

Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
substitute. :-)

TIA!
K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Nexis

"Katra" > wrote in message
> Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> substitute. :-)
>
> TIA!
> K.

Personally I don't think there's really any substitute for rice other than
another starch, like maybe couscous. Instead, try brown rice, which is in a
whole other world, carb and blood sugar wise, from white.

kimberly

Nexis

"Katra" > wrote in message
> Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> substitute. :-)
>
> TIA!
> K.

Personally I don't think there's really any substitute for rice other than
another starch, like maybe couscous. Instead, try brown rice, which is in a
whole other world, carb and blood sugar wise, from white.

kimberly

Julia Altshuler

Katra wrote:
> Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> substitute. :-)

I don't know enough about the diets to say that this is a good solution,
but quinoa is the grain (well, not botanically a grain) with the most
protein and least carbohydrate. Look it up and see if it would do.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Katra wrote:
> Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> substitute. :-)

I don't know enough about the diets to say that this is a good solution,
but quinoa is the grain (well, not botanically a grain) with the most
protein and least carbohydrate. Look it up and see if it would do.

--Lia

axlq

In article <%QWcd.4958$SW3.1846@fed1read01>, Nexis > wrote:
>Personally I don't think there's really any substitute for rice other than
>another starch, like maybe couscous. Instead, try brown rice, which is in a
>whole other world, carb and blood sugar wise, from white.

Depends on the rice. If you like white rice, then white Basmati and
other long-grain rice has about the same glycemic index (about 60)
as brown rice (50-75 depending on the variety).

The worst possible is also the most popular: Jasmine rice, with a
glycemic index of 109, higher than pure sugar (defined as 100).

This was from http://diabetes.about.com/library/me...i/ngilists.htm

-A
axlq

In article <%QWcd.4958$SW3.1846@fed1read01>, Nexis > wrote:
>Personally I don't think there's really any substitute for rice other than
>another starch, like maybe couscous. Instead, try brown rice, which is in a
>whole other world, carb and blood sugar wise, from white.

Depends on the rice. If you like white rice, then white Basmati and
other long-grain rice has about the same glycemic index (about 60)
as brown rice (50-75 depending on the variety).

The worst possible is also the most popular: Jasmine rice, with a
glycemic index of 109, higher than pure sugar (defined as 100).

This was from http://diabetes.about.com/library/me...i/ngilists.htm

-A
Dave Smith

Katra wrote:

> Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> substitute. :-)

You can use rice noodles or chow mein noodles. I sometimes serve it with spaghetti or
angel hair pasta. Just do the usual stir fry thing using garlic and chopped ginger
root and for the sauce use a mixture of chicken broth, soya sauce, hoisin sauce and
then the corn starch and water.

Dave Smith

Katra wrote:

> Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> substitute. :-)

You can use rice noodles or chow mein noodles. I sometimes serve it with spaghetti or
angel hair pasta. Just do the usual stir fry thing using garlic and chopped ginger
root and for the sauce use a mixture of chicken broth, soya sauce, hoisin sauce and
then the corn starch and water.

Dave Smith

Katra wrote:

> Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> substitute. :-)

You can use rice noodles or chow mein noodles. I sometimes serve it with spaghetti or
angel hair pasta. Just do the usual stir fry thing using garlic and chopped ginger
root and for the sauce use a mixture of chicken broth, soya sauce, hoisin sauce and
then the corn starch and water.

kalanamak

Katra wrote:

> Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> substitute. :-)

Does spagetti squash fit the bill?
blacksalt
kalanamak

Katra wrote:

> Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> substitute. :-)

Does spagetti squash fit the bill?
blacksalt
kalanamak

Katra wrote:

> Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> substitute. :-)

Does spagetti squash fit the bill?
blacksalt
Christopher Green

Katra > wrote in message >...
> Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> substitute. :-)

If I tried that at home, I'd have a mutiny on my hands...

Seriously, mung bean sprouts make a nice foil for stir-fry dishes. I
steam them and add just a sprinkle of rice vinegar. Don't overcook,
you want them hot but still crisp. Can't use the leftovers for fried
rice, bummer.

--
Chris Green
Christopher Green

Katra > wrote in message >...
> Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> substitute. :-)

If I tried that at home, I'd have a mutiny on my hands...

Seriously, mung bean sprouts make a nice foil for stir-fry dishes. I
steam them and add just a sprinkle of rice vinegar. Don't overcook,
you want them hot but still crisp. Can't use the leftovers for fried
rice, bummer.

--
Chris Green

Christopher Green

Katra > wrote in message >...
> Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> substitute. :-)

If I tried that at home, I'd have a mutiny on my hands...

Seriously, mung bean sprouts make a nice foil for stir-fry dishes. I
steam them and add just a sprinkle of rice vinegar. Don't overcook,
you want them hot but still crisp. Can't use the leftovers for fried
rice, bummer.

--
Chris Green
Nexis

"axlq" > wrote in message
> In article <%QWcd.4958$SW3.1846@fed1read01>, Nexis > wrote:
> >Personally I don't think there's really any substitute for rice other

than
> >another starch, like maybe couscous. Instead, try brown rice, which is in

> >whole other world, carb and blood sugar wise, from white.

> Depends on the rice. If you like white rice, then white Basmati and
> other long-grain rice has about the same glycemic index (about 60)
> as brown rice (50-75 depending on the variety).
>
> The worst possible is also the most popular: Jasmine rice, with a
> glycemic index of 109, higher than pure sugar (defined as 100).
>
> This was from http://diabetes.about.com/library/me...i/ngilists.htm
>
> -A

Glycemic index aside, white rice of any sort, from Basmati to Jasmine, long
grain to short...raises my blood sugar through the roof. Brown rice,
thankfully, doesn't.

Of course, YMMV.

kimberly

Katra

In article <1dYcd.272182$D%.132412@attbi_s51>,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> > fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> > substitute. :-)

> I don't know enough about the diets to say that this is a good solution,
> but quinoa is the grain (well, not botanically a grain) with the most
> protein and least carbohydrate. Look it up and see if it would do.
>
> --Lia

Well... I'm trying to avoid grain completely, but thanks. ;-)
The chopped Bamboo shoot worked very well.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> > fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> > substitute. :-)

> I don't know enough about the diets to say that this is a good solution,
> but quinoa is the grain (well, not botanically a grain) with the most
> protein and least carbohydrate. Look it up and see if it would do.
>
> --Lia

Well... I'm trying to avoid grain completely, but thanks. ;-)
The chopped Bamboo shoot worked very well.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> > fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> > substitute. :-)

> I don't know enough about the diets to say that this is a good solution,
> but quinoa is the grain (well, not botanically a grain) with the most
> protein and least carbohydrate. Look it up and see if it would do.
>
> --Lia

Well... I'm trying to avoid grain completely, but thanks. ;-)
The chopped Bamboo shoot worked very well.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> > fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> > substitute. :-)

> You can use rice noodles or chow mein noodles. I sometimes serve it with
> spaghetti or
> angel hair pasta. Just do the usual stir fry thing using garlic and chopped
> ginger
> root and for the sauce use a mixture of chicken broth, soya sauce, hoisin
> sauce and
> then the corn starch and water.

Ummmmmm... thanks, but starch in general is out. ;-)
I'm trying to treat insulin resistance.

It needs to be a fibrous veggie substitute.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> > fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> > substitute. :-)

> You can use rice noodles or chow mein noodles. I sometimes serve it with
> spaghetti or
> angel hair pasta. Just do the usual stir fry thing using garlic and chopped
> ginger
> root and for the sauce use a mixture of chicken broth, soya sauce, hoisin
> sauce and
> then the corn starch and water.

Ummmmmm... thanks, but starch in general is out. ;-)
I'm trying to treat insulin resistance.

It needs to be a fibrous veggie substitute.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> > fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> > substitute. :-)

> You can use rice noodles or chow mein noodles. I sometimes serve it with
> spaghetti or
> angel hair pasta. Just do the usual stir fry thing using garlic and chopped
> ginger
> root and for the sauce use a mixture of chicken broth, soya sauce, hoisin
> sauce and
> then the corn starch and water.

Ummmmmm... thanks, but starch in general is out. ;-)
I'm trying to treat insulin resistance.

It needs to be a fibrous veggie substitute.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
kalanamak > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> > fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> > substitute. :-)

> Does spagetti squash fit the bill?
> blacksalt

For Pasta, yes... but it's hard as heck to find lately... ;-)

It is the wrong texture for rice tho' but thanks anyhoo!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
kalanamak > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> > fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> > substitute. :-)

> Does spagetti squash fit the bill?
> blacksalt

For Pasta, yes... but it's hard as heck to find lately... ;-)

It is the wrong texture for rice tho' but thanks anyhoo!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
kalanamak > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> > fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> > substitute. :-)

> Does spagetti squash fit the bill?
> blacksalt

For Pasta, yes... but it's hard as heck to find lately... ;-)

It is the wrong texture for rice tho' but thanks anyhoo!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
kalanamak > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> > fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> > substitute. :-)

> Does spagetti squash fit the bill?
> blacksalt

For Pasta, yes... but it's hard as heck to find lately... ;-)

It is the wrong texture for rice tho' but thanks anyhoo!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
kalanamak > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to a substitute for rice to serve stir
> > fry with? I know that I can use pureed Cauliflower as a mashed potato
> > substitute. :-)

> Does spagetti squash fit the bill?
> blacksalt

For Pasta, yes... but it's hard as heck to find lately... ;-)

It is the wrong texture for rice tho' but thanks anyhoo!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> Seriously, about the mashed cauliflower, it's very, very good!
> Just steam it soft then put it into the food processer until it's
> pureed. Add some butter and some cheese, and a little black pepper and
> re-heat and mix well.

Cauliflower makes a *great* substitute for potatoes in potato salad, too...

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> Seriously, about the mashed cauliflower, it's very, very good!
> Just steam it soft then put it into the food processer until it's
> pureed. Add some butter and some cheese, and a little black pepper and
> re-heat and mix well.

Cauliflower makes a *great* substitute for potatoes in potato salad, too...

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow