Mark Shaw

Default Vegemite

What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?

Thanks.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can
BOB

Mark Shaw wrote:
> What is this stuff?

Gear lube

> How does one eat it?

Like peanut butter

Google is your friend:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...F-8&q=vegemite

http://www.vegemite.com.au/

It's actually pretty good on toast or crackers.

BOB

David Hare-Scott

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw

It is a food spread made from yeast, the yeast is pressure cooked and
reduced until it is black and the consistency of heavy grease. The excess
yeast from the beer brewing industry (megatons of it) has to go somewhere
and in Oz this is what we do with it. Vegemite is quite a good source of B
group vitamins.

Those raised on it enjoy it on sandwiches or often on toast for breakfast.
It can also be used judiciously as a background flavour in soups, stews etc
but be warned it is quite strong and salty. Those not raised on it find it
an acquired taste.

If you haven't acquired the taste yet try it spread THINLY on hot buttered
toast as part of a savoury breakfast. It has no sugar and doesn't sit well
with sweet things. If you get a mouthful of it you will be put off for life
as the epithelium will be stripped off your tongue and deposited in the back
of your throat - or at least it will feel like that.

Some (like my wife) wouldn't eat any other spread. I *was* raised on it and
can take it or leave it.

David

lea b

Mark Shaw wrote:
> What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?

I just had it for breakfast on lightly toasted soy&linseed. Lots of butter,
with a tinge of the veg'. Perfect.

www.vegemite.com.au

--
something witty

lea b

David Hare-Scott wrote:

> If you haven't acquired the taste yet try it spread THINLY on hot
> buttered toast as part of a savoury breakfast. It has no sugar and
> doesn't sit well with sweet things. If you get a mouthful of it you
> will be put off for life as the epithelium will be stripped off your
> tongue and deposited in the back of your throat - or at least it will
> feel like that.

I like it 'raw' for a salt kick.

It's also good to disguise cat medicines/crushed pills.
Like licking the salt off your hand, cats really go for it.
*meow*

THEMOM1

You don't. I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

<>< ><>
www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/..._WATCHERS.html

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

225/187.4/145

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
> "There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can
> count in binary, and those who cannot." -unknown

pavane

"THEMOM1" > wrote in message
> You don't. I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.
>
> --
> Helen
>
> Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
> Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
> is the object of our faith; the only faith that
> saves is faith in Him

Yeah, just like Christ being a cheap copy
of John the Baptist.

Time means little; substance is of significance.

pavane

Rhonda Anderson

"lea b" > wrote in
:

> Mark Shaw wrote:
>> What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?

> I just had it for breakfast on lightly toasted soy&linseed. Lots of
> butter, with a tinge of the veg'. Perfect.
>
> www.vegemite.com.au

I like my Vegemite unadulterated. No butter or margarine! I like it on
toast, on an English muffin or on a crumpet for breakfast. Vegemite
sandwiches and Vegemite and lettuce sandwiches were a staple for lunch
during my schoolyears (and earlier - apparently when I was a toddler I
went for quite a long period refusing to eat anything other than Vegemite
sandwiches and custard <g>, or so my mum used to tell me). Many people
like Vegemite and cheese sandwiches, but I've always preferred Vegemite
and lettuce.

I've also been known to eat Vegemite spread on Weetbix
(http://www.weetbix.com.au/) as a snack.

One use that I haven't yet tried, but I read here in a previous
discussion on Vegemite was to spread it on toast and top with a poached
egg.

Rhonda Anderson - a happy little Vegemite
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Bigbazza

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
> "There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can
> count in binary, and those who cannot." -unknown

Particularly nice on very hot buttered toast..Hmm..You only spread it
very,very...thinly though...not like you (or at least me..) spread Peanut
Butter...

Bigbazza..Oz

Bigbazza

"THEMOM1" > wrote in message
> You don't. I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.
>
> --
> Helen

I think you have it very wrong there, Helen...The other way
around....Marmite is a very, very cheap imitation of what some think that
'Vegemite' tastes like...very wrong...<g>...

Bigbazza..Oz

rbinca

David Hare-Scott said:

> "Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
>
>>What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>--
>>Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw

> It is a food spread made from yeast, the yeast is pressure cooked and
> reduced until it is black and the consistency of heavy grease. The excess
> yeast from the beer brewing industry (megatons of it) has to go somewhere
> and in Oz this is what we do with it. Vegemite is quite a good source of B
> group vitamins.
>
> Those raised on it enjoy it on sandwiches or often on toast for breakfast.
> It can also be used judiciously as a background flavour in soups, stews etc
> but be warned it is quite strong and salty. Those not raised on it find it
> an acquired taste.
>
> If you haven't acquired the taste yet try it spread THINLY on hot buttered
> toast as part of a savoury breakfast. It has no sugar and doesn't sit well
> with sweet things. If you get a mouthful of it you will be put off for life
> as the epithelium will be stripped off your tongue and deposited in the back
> of your throat - or at least it will feel like that.
>
> Some (like my wife) wouldn't eat any other spread. I *was* raised on it and
> can take it or leave it.
>
> David

Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it here in the
US not that I was really looking for it.
kalanamak

rbinca wrote:

> Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it here in the
> US not that I was really looking for it.

I bought some last week in a none-too-chichi town in Pugetopolis. I
think it has a shelf-life of several decades.
blacksalt
who remembers trying it in Australia as a child, and being unable to
bear it. My father, a poor boy who milked, collected eggs and delivered
the produce morning and night 7 days a week, couldn't bear throwing food
out. He ate it without a word, and we all watched with sympathy.
david

Default Vegemite - D

See http://www.australianbeers.com/culture/tucker.htm for a vege discussion

Cherry

Nope your wrong. British Marmite came before Australian Vegemite. Ergo
Vegemite is the "very, very cheap imitation of what some think Marmite
tastes like". Now check the history sir.

http://www.marmite.com/

http://www.vegemite.com.au

Cherry

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message
u...

> "THEMOM1" > wrote in message
> > You don't. I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.
> >
> > --
> > Helen
> >

> I think you have it very wrong there, Helen...The other way
> around....Marmite is a very, very cheap imitation of what some think that
> 'Vegemite' tastes like...very wrong...<g>...
>
> Bigbazza..Oz

lea b

THEMOM1 wrote:
> I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.

It's a superior version of Marmite. Ever compared the two ?
Oh, and Promite sucks pretty bad too.

lea b

Cherry wrote:
> Nope your wrong. British Marmite came before Australian Vegemite.
> Ergo Vegemite is the "very, very cheap imitation of what some think
> Marmite tastes like". Now check the history sir.
>
> http://www.marmite.com/
>
> http://www.vegemite.com.au

Ergo nothing.
Because Vegemite was developed afterwards, does not make it a 'cheaper
version'.
A superior version, i'd say, improving on the crappy original.

How come the Marmite supporters all toppost ?

lea b

Rhonda Anderson wrote:
> "lea b" wrote:
>> Mark Shaw wrote:
>>> What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?

>> I just had it for breakfast on lightly toasted soy&linseed. Lots of
>> butter, with a tinge of the veg'. Perfect.
>>
>> www.vegemite.com.au
>>

> I like my Vegemite unadulterated. No butter or margarine! I like it on
> toast, on an English muffin or on a crumpet for breakfast. Vegemite
> sandwiches and Vegemite and lettuce sandwiches were a staple for lunch
> during my schoolyears (and earlier - apparently when I was a toddler I
> went for quite a long period refusing to eat anything other than
> Vegemite sandwiches and custard <g>, or so my mum used to tell me).
> Many people like Vegemite and cheese sandwiches, but I've always
> preferred Vegemite and lettuce.

I don't like the Veg & Cheese combo either, but I do like it with lettuce
( and Veg & sliced onion is good too - though stinky !

> I've also been known to eat Vegemite spread on Weetbix
> (http://www.weetbix.com.au/) as a snack.

ack! Big glass of milk, big glass of milk - I can't beathe, the weetbix is
stuck in my throat !!

> One use that I haven't yet tried, but I read here in a previous
> discussion on Vegemite was to spread it on toast and top with a
> poached egg.

I do that sometimes

lea b

rbinca wrote:

> Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it here in the
> US not that I was really looking for it.

Australian Foods, Gifts and Souvenirs
123 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio, Texas, 78205, USA
Phone 210-2991077, Fax 210-2991078, Email:
www.about-australia-shop.com

4266 East 43rd Street North Little Rock Arkansas USA 72117 Fax: 501-945-3984
http://www.everythingaustralian.com/vegemite.html

( From a quick Google around )

Cherry

Heavens above, no sense of humour with some people! I merely copied what
Bigbazza said about Marmite or have you conveniently forgotten his post,
already? Whether one is superior to the other is irrelevant because at the
end of the day which you prefer depends on what you have been brought up
with. Certainly nothing to get uptight about madam.

Cherry

"lea b" > wrote in message
> Cherry wrote:
> > Nope your wrong. British Marmite came before Australian Vegemite.
> > Ergo Vegemite is the "very, very cheap imitation of what some think
> > Marmite tastes like". Now check the history sir.
> >
> > http://www.marmite.com/
> >
> > http://www.vegemite.com.au

> Ergo nothing.
> Because Vegemite was developed afterwards, does not make it a 'cheaper
> version'.
> A superior version, i'd say, improving on the crappy original.
>
> How come the Marmite supporters all toppost ?

Ariane Jenkins

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:52:49 -0800, rbinca > wrote:

Vegemite
> Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it here in the
> US not that I was really looking for it.

Yeah, but I mainly see it in specialty shops. There's a British
foods store in Huber Heights, OH which has both Marmite and Vegemite,
IIRC. And Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati, OH carries it, I'm fairly sure.

I don't remember if I've seen it in any regular grocery stores,
but seeing as how the local ones are expanding their selection of
international goods all the time, it's not out of the question.

Ariane

lea b

Cherry wrote:
> Heavens above, no sense of humour with some people!

huh ?

> I merely copied
> what Bigbazza said about Marmite or have you conveniently forgotten
> his post, already?

Um, no. You were both talking about a latter product and inferiority.
I let you know that the two do not necessarily go hand in hand.

> Whether one is superior to the other is
> irrelevant because at the end of the day which you prefer depends on
> what you have been brought up with.

or prefer. As I said.

> Certainly nothing to get uptight
> about madam.

The only person uptight is you, my topposting madam

MEow

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, lea b of Sporadicus
Dingleberry said:

>How come the Marmite supporters all toppost ?

I wasn't brought up with neither Marmite nor Vegemite, but bought some
Marmite last year. I tried it *thinly* spead a in sandwich and

I loved it! I still do, and I don't top-post ;0)
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
PlaneGuy

As others have said before, vegemite is a delicious spread on hot buttered
toast. However, what my fellow Aussies have said, is grounds for expulsion
from this wide brown land. We down here, love telling American tourists that
it is to be spread like peanut butter, and watch as they attempt to eat a
slice of bread with about an equal amount of vegemite - the result is quite
humorous. Lets just say that some colleagues from the US came out for a
businees trip - one of them listened to me, and now swears she will kill me.
The other watched her, and then put a very small amount on his toast. He now
asks for us to send him vegemite to Florida!!!

Anyway, back onto serious topics, vegemite is also a very good way to add
flavour when cooking. It can be added to marinades for red meats (especially
beef), bolognaise sauce etc... I don't have any recipes handy at the moment,
so I can't post them - but it basically adds body, and a touch of salt.
Really nice additive.

Cherry

I think you should read my original post again. All I did was give two
links for the two products regarding their history. At no time have I
mentioned/implied superiority/inferiority of either product. Your are the
one that's done that:

>Because Vegemite was developed afterwards,
>does not make it a 'cheaper version'.
>A superior version, i'd say, improving on the crappy original.

<snip>

>Um, no. You were both talking about a latter product and inferiority.
> I let you know that the two do not necessarily go hand in hand.

"YOU will LET ME KNOW that the two do not necessarily go hand in hand."

Who the hell are you????

Whether one topposts or not is neither here nor there, so why make such an
issue of it?

Apart from which, it really doesn't take much to get you going does it? I
like you, your fun!

Cherry

"lea b" > wrote in message
> Cherry wrote:
> > Heavens above, no sense of humour with some people!

> huh ?
>
> > I merely copied
> > what Bigbazza said about Marmite or have you conveniently forgotten
> > his post, already?

> Um, no. You were both talking about a latter product and inferiority.
> I let you know that the two do not necessarily go hand in hand.
>
> > Whether one is superior to the other is
> > irrelevant because at the end of the day which you prefer depends on
> > what you have been brought up with.

> or prefer. As I said.
>
> > Certainly nothing to get uptight
> > about madam.

> The only person uptight is you, my topposting madam

pavane

"lea b" > wrote in message
> THEMOM1 wrote:
> > I'ts a cheap copy of Marmite.

> It's a superior version of Marmite. Ever compared the two ?
> Oh, and Promite sucks pretty bad too.

I have all three open right now and agree completely with
you. Vegemite is highly complex, savory and varied; the
Marmite would do in a pinch but is dull by comparison; the
Promite seems weirdly beefy and sweet, almost an attempt
to make a kiddie version of Vegemite for the youngsters. Gak!

pavane

WardNA

>excess
>yeast from the beer brewing industry (megatons of it) has to go somewhere
>and in Oz this is what we do with it. Vegemite is quite a good source of B
>group vitamins.

Sort of a vegan's penance, then?
JulieB

Rhonda Anderson > wrote in message 1.5>...

> One use that I haven't yet tried, but I read here in a previous
> discussion on Vegemite was to spread it on toast and top with a poached
> egg.

Try vegemite on your toast-sticks for boiled eggs. Dunk the
toaststicks into the runny yolk and get the vegemitey-eggy-toasty
taste. Yummo!

Julie.
Buckler

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
>
> Thanks.

I first heard of this stuff in the Men at Work song "Land Down Under". I'd
often wondered what it was until I had the opportunity to sail on a ship
with a British crew. The first mate had an obsession with the stuff.
Apparently, it's reduced autolyzed yeast extract (centrifuged dead yeast
cells) with vegetable flavorings added. (Incidentally, autolyzed yeast
extract is sometimes used in brewing in order to revive a failed yeast
reaction. Seems the little buggers can be coaxed into cannibalism). He
enjoyed it on toast and crackers, but the odor violently repelled me. I
suppose it's an acquired taste.

Buckler

Miche

In article <HG_Sb.3435$1O.342@fed1read05>, rbinca >
wrote:

> Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it here in the
> US not that I was really looking for it.

Yes. It's a staple in New Zealand, and is available in some parts of
the US.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Charles Gifford

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article <HG_Sb.3435$1O.342@fed1read05>, rbinca >
> wrote:
>
> > Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it here in the
> > US not that I was really looking for it.

> Yes. It's a staple in New Zealand, and is available in some parts of
> the US.
>
> Miche

Yes indeed. It is available here in Sandy Eggo. My supermarket carries it.

Charlie

telmgren

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
>
> Thanks.

Vegemite is the work of the devil. Yuck Yuck Yuck! ;o)

Rick & Cyndi

: wrote:
:
: > Is it even sold outside of Australia? I have never seen it
here in the
: > US not that I was really looking for it.
:
: Yes. It's a staple in New Zealand, and is available in some
parts of
: the US.
:
: Miche
:
=========

It's available in the Detroit Metro area... at Zingerman's to be
exact! I was there this weekend
(nananananananaaaaaaannnnaaaaaa!! LOL). In fact, they had
Vegemite AND Marmite. I was going to pick up a jar of both but
the place was crowded and the 4 y/o was getting curious... Next
time I'll get 'em.

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Loki

il Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:22:47 GMT, "telmgren" ha scritto:

> "Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> > What *is* this stuff? How does one eat it?
> >
> > Thanks.

> Vegemite is the work of the devil. Yuck Yuck Yuck! ;o)

Hush your mouth! It takes a cultured palate to understand its
nuances. :-þ
--
Cheers,