Charles Gifford

Default REC: African Chicken

Perhaps this should be called "an attempt to make a chicken dish as it is
made somewhere in Africa". Nevertheless, it's pretty good if you like
chicken.

Charlie

AFRICAN CHICKEN

Source: San Diego Union

4 lbs. chicken, cut up
2 tbs. oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tbs. red wine vinegar

Arrange chicken in a 3 qt. baking dish (13x9-inch). In a 10-inch skillet
heat oil and add onion and garlic. Cook gently, stirring often, until
wilted. Stir in peanut butter, coriander and red pepper flakes. Gradually
stir in tomato sauce and vinegar. Pour over chicken. Bake uncovered in a
preheated 400F oven until chicken is tender, about 50 minutes. Serves 4 to
6.

CJB

previously in rfc, "Charles Gifford" > wrote:

> Perhaps this should be called "an attempt to make a chicken dish as it
> is made somewhere in Africa". Nevertheless, it's pretty good if you
> like chicken.
>
> Charlie
>
> AFRICAN CHICKEN
>
> Source: San Diego Union
>
> 4 lbs. chicken, cut up
> 2 tbs. oil
> 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
> 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
> 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
> 15 oz. can tomato sauce
> 1 tbs. red wine vinegar
>

> Arrange chicken in a 3 qt. baking dish (13x9-inch). In a 10-inch
> skillet heat oil and add onion and garlic. Cook gently, stirring
> often, until wilted. Stir in peanut butter, coriander and red pepper
> flakes. Gradually stir in tomato sauce and vinegar. Pour over chicken.
> Bake uncovered in a preheated 400F oven until chicken is tender, about
> 50 minutes. Serves 4 to 6.

This looks delicious and I have a cut up chicken with this recipe's name on
it. I love peanut butter in tomato.

I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.

-Claudia
CJB

previously in rfc, "Charles Gifford" > wrote:

> Perhaps this should be called "an attempt to make a chicken dish as it
> is made somewhere in Africa". Nevertheless, it's pretty good if you
> like chicken.
>
> Charlie
>
> AFRICAN CHICKEN
>
> Source: San Diego Union
>
> 4 lbs. chicken, cut up
> 2 tbs. oil
> 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
> 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
> 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
> 15 oz. can tomato sauce
> 1 tbs. red wine vinegar
>

> Arrange chicken in a 3 qt. baking dish (13x9-inch). In a 10-inch
> skillet heat oil and add onion and garlic. Cook gently, stirring
> often, until wilted. Stir in peanut butter, coriander and red pepper
> flakes. Gradually stir in tomato sauce and vinegar. Pour over chicken.
> Bake uncovered in a preheated 400F oven until chicken is tender, about
> 50 minutes. Serves 4 to 6.

This looks delicious and I have a cut up chicken with this recipe's name on
it. I love peanut butter in tomato.

I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.

-Claudia
Suuzzee

CJB > wrote in message
> previously in rfc, "Charles Gifford" > wrote:
>
> > Perhaps this should be called "an attempt to make a chicken dish as it
> > is made somewhere in Africa". Nevertheless, it's pretty good if you
> > like chicken.
> >
> > Charlie
> >
> > AFRICAN CHICKEN
> >
> > Source: San Diego Union
> >
> > 4 lbs. chicken, cut up
> > 2 tbs. oil
> > 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
> > 2 cloves garlic, minced
> > 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
> > 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
> > 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
> > 15 oz. can tomato sauce
> > 1 tbs. red wine vinegar
> >

> > Arrange chicken in a 3 qt. baking dish (13x9-inch). In a 10-inch
> > skillet heat oil and add onion and garlic. Cook gently, stirring
> > often, until wilted. Stir in peanut butter, coriander and red pepper
> > flakes. Gradually stir in tomato sauce and vinegar. Pour over chicken.
> > Bake uncovered in a preheated 400F oven until chicken is tender, about
> > 50 minutes. Serves 4 to 6.
> >

> This looks delicious and I have a cut up chicken with this recipe's name

on
> it. I love peanut butter in tomato.
>
> I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
> ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.
>
> -Claudia

Howzabout a recipe? Charles' chicken recipe looks wonderful and I'd also
love to try your soup.

Suz

Bob

Claudia wrote:

> I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
> ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.

Would you please post the recipe for that? It sounds like something I'd like
to try out on my guests sometime.

Bob

Bob

Claudia wrote:

> I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
> ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.

Would you please post the recipe for that? It sounds like something I'd like
to try out on my guests sometime.

Bob

CJB

previously in rfc, "Suuzzee" > wrote:

> CJB > wrote in message

>> I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
>> ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.
>>
>> -Claudia

> Howzabout a recipe? Charles' chicken recipe looks wonderful and I'd also
> love to try your soup.
>
> Suz

Sure thing. Like any vegetable soup, it's flexible and forgiving and you
can use what you like in addition to what's normally traditional.
Different areas have their own variations on this soup.

West African Groundnut Soup

1 peeled chopped sweet yam
2 peeled chopped carrots
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed (I use the press directly into the pot)
a small piece of ginger, minced
oil for sauteeing
spices: cayenne, salt, black pepper, a shake of red pepper flakes
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (I use chicken, if I don't use homemade
then I'm more careful on the seasoning as the canned is usually saltier
than my own)
2 cups crushed tomatoes
OR 2 cups diced tomatoes
OR 1 small can tomato paste (I use canned crushed tomatoes)
1/3 - 1/2 cup peanut butter

Sautee the yam, carrots and onion in a bit of oil at the bottom of a soup
pot for a few minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, sautee for another
minute or so.

Add the stock and tomatoes. A good shake of red pepper flakes. Stir, cook
covered over a low flame until the vegetables are tender (half hour? It
doesn't matter, as long as you keep stirring the bottom so it doesn't stick
you really can't overcook it)

Stir in the peanut butter. Cook a little longer until the soup is smooth
(5 minutes or so)

Season to taste with the peppers and salt. We like ours a little spicier.

You can also add a chopped hot pepper to the original vegetable sautee.

Not traditional, I don't think, but we like a little bit of chopped
cilantro on top.

Enjoy!

-Claudia
CJB

previously in rfc, "Suuzzee" > wrote:

> CJB > wrote in message

>> I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
>> ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.
>>
>> -Claudia

> Howzabout a recipe? Charles' chicken recipe looks wonderful and I'd also
> love to try your soup.
>
> Suz

Sure thing. Like any vegetable soup, it's flexible and forgiving and you
can use what you like in addition to what's normally traditional.
Different areas have their own variations on this soup.

West African Groundnut Soup

1 peeled chopped sweet yam
2 peeled chopped carrots
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed (I use the press directly into the pot)
a small piece of ginger, minced
oil for sauteeing
spices: cayenne, salt, black pepper, a shake of red pepper flakes
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (I use chicken, if I don't use homemade
then I'm more careful on the seasoning as the canned is usually saltier
than my own)
2 cups crushed tomatoes
OR 2 cups diced tomatoes
OR 1 small can tomato paste (I use canned crushed tomatoes)
1/3 - 1/2 cup peanut butter

Sautee the yam, carrots and onion in a bit of oil at the bottom of a soup
pot for a few minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, sautee for another
minute or so.

Add the stock and tomatoes. A good shake of red pepper flakes. Stir, cook
covered over a low flame until the vegetables are tender (half hour? It
doesn't matter, as long as you keep stirring the bottom so it doesn't stick
you really can't overcook it)

Stir in the peanut butter. Cook a little longer until the soup is smooth
(5 minutes or so)

Season to taste with the peppers and salt. We like ours a little spicier.

You can also add a chopped hot pepper to the original vegetable sautee.

Not traditional, I don't think, but we like a little bit of chopped
cilantro on top.

Enjoy!

-Claudia
Suuzzee

Thanks! Looks very tasty and I can't wait to try it. Suz

CJB > wrote in message
> previously in rfc, "Suuzzee" > wrote:
>

> > CJB > wrote in message

> >> I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
> >> ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.
> >>
> >> -Claudia

> > Howzabout a recipe? Charles' chicken recipe looks wonderful and I'd

also
> > love to try your soup.
> >
> > Suz
> >

> Sure thing. Like any vegetable soup, it's flexible and forgiving and you
> can use what you like in addition to what's normally traditional.
> Different areas have their own variations on this soup.
>
> West African Groundnut Soup
>
> 1 peeled chopped sweet yam
> 2 peeled chopped carrots
> 1 medium onion, diced
> 2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed (I use the press directly into the

pot)
> a small piece of ginger, minced
> oil for sauteeing
> spices: cayenne, salt, black pepper, a shake of red pepper flakes
> 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (I use chicken, if I don't use homemade
> then I'm more careful on the seasoning as the canned is usually saltier
> than my own)
> 2 cups crushed tomatoes
> OR 2 cups diced tomatoes
> OR 1 small can tomato paste (I use canned crushed tomatoes)
> 1/3 - 1/2 cup peanut butter
>
> Sautee the yam, carrots and onion in a bit of oil at the bottom of a soup
> pot for a few minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, sautee for another
> minute or so.
>
> Add the stock and tomatoes. A good shake of red pepper flakes. Stir,

cook
> covered over a low flame until the vegetables are tender (half hour? It
> doesn't matter, as long as you keep stirring the bottom so it doesn't

stick
> you really can't overcook it)
>
> Stir in the peanut butter. Cook a little longer until the soup is smooth
> (5 minutes or so)
>
> Season to taste with the peppers and salt. We like ours a little spicier.
>
> You can also add a chopped hot pepper to the original vegetable sautee.
>
> Not traditional, I don't think, but we like a little bit of chopped
> cilantro on top.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> -Claudia

Suuzzee

CJB > wrote in message
> previously in rfc, "Suuzzee" > wrote:
>

> > CJB > wrote in message

> >> I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
> >> ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.
> >>
> >> -Claudia

> > Howzabout a recipe? Charles' chicken recipe looks wonderful and I'd

also
> > love to try your soup.
> >
> > Suz
> >

> Sure thing. Like any vegetable soup, it's flexible and forgiving and you
> can use what you like in addition to what's normally traditional.
> Different areas have their own variations on this soup.
>
> West African Groundnut Soup
>
> 1 peeled chopped sweet yam
> 2 peeled chopped carrots
> 1 medium onion, diced
> 2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed (I use the press directly into the

pot)
> a small piece of ginger, minced
> oil for sauteeing
> spices: cayenne, salt, black pepper, a shake of red pepper flakes
> 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (I use chicken, if I don't use homemade
> then I'm more careful on the seasoning as the canned is usually saltier
> than my own)
> 2 cups crushed tomatoes
> OR 2 cups diced tomatoes
> OR 1 small can tomato paste (I use canned crushed tomatoes)
> 1/3 - 1/2 cup peanut butter
>
> Sautee the yam, carrots and onion in a bit of oil at the bottom of a soup
> pot for a few minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, sautee for another
> minute or so.
>
> Add the stock and tomatoes. A good shake of red pepper flakes. Stir,

cook
> covered over a low flame until the vegetables are tender (half hour? It
> doesn't matter, as long as you keep stirring the bottom so it doesn't

stick
> you really can't overcook it)
>
> Stir in the peanut butter. Cook a little longer until the soup is smooth
> (5 minutes or so)
>
> Season to taste with the peppers and salt. We like ours a little spicier.
>
> You can also add a chopped hot pepper to the original vegetable sautee.
>
> Not traditional, I don't think, but we like a little bit of chopped
> cilantro on top.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> -Claudia

Tristán White

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:11:59 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>AFRICAN CHICKEN
>
>Source: San Diego Union
>
>4 lbs. chicken, cut up
>2 tbs. oil
>2 medium onions, thinly sliced
>2 cloves garlic, minced
>1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
>1/2 tsp. ground coriander
>1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
>15 oz. can tomato sauce
>1 tbs. red wine vinegar
>

>Arrange chicken in a 3 qt. baking dish (13x9-inch). In a 10-inch skillet
>heat oil and add onion and garlic. Cook gently, stirring often, until
>wilted. Stir in peanut butter, coriander and red pepper flakes. Gradually
>stir in tomato sauce and vinegar. Pour over chicken. Bake uncovered in a
>preheated 400F oven until chicken is tender, about 50 minutes. Serves 4 to
>6.

Sounds lovely. Although I'd take out the onions as I have an onion
allergy ...
like me!

I would also use fresh coriander.... it's such a lovely flavour!
Tristán White

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:11:59 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>AFRICAN CHICKEN
>
>Source: San Diego Union
>
>4 lbs. chicken, cut up
>2 tbs. oil
>2 medium onions, thinly sliced
>2 cloves garlic, minced
>1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
>1/2 tsp. ground coriander
>1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
>15 oz. can tomato sauce
>1 tbs. red wine vinegar
>

>Arrange chicken in a 3 qt. baking dish (13x9-inch). In a 10-inch skillet
>heat oil and add onion and garlic. Cook gently, stirring often, until
>wilted. Stir in peanut butter, coriander and red pepper flakes. Gradually
>stir in tomato sauce and vinegar. Pour over chicken. Bake uncovered in a
>preheated 400F oven until chicken is tender, about 50 minutes. Serves 4 to
>6.

Sounds lovely. Although I'd take out the onions as I have an onion
allergy ...
like me!

I would also use fresh coriander.... it's such a lovely flavour!
Karen O'Mara

CJB > wrote in message >...

> This looks delicious and I have a cut up chicken with this recipe's name on
> it. I love peanut butter in tomato.
>
> I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
> ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.

These dishes sound deeeelish. I have to add a postscript, though. When
serving to guests, be sure to tell people that peanut butter is in
these dishes, because they could have an allergy.

When I was attending Cal Lutheran College in Calif., a fellow student
died after eating chili. The chili had peanut butter in it and he
didn't know that. His allergy to that ingredient killed him. This was
long ago, when everyone wasn't as sensitized to the problem, I must
admit. I don't think it happens too often, anymore.

Karen
Karen O'Mara

CJB > wrote in message >...

> This looks delicious and I have a cut up chicken with this recipe's name on
> it. I love peanut butter in tomato.
>
> I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
> ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.

These dishes sound deeeelish. I have to add a postscript, though. When
serving to guests, be sure to tell people that peanut butter is in
these dishes, because they could have an allergy.

When I was attending Cal Lutheran College in Calif., a fellow student
died after eating chili. The chili had peanut butter in it and he
didn't know that. His allergy to that ingredient killed him. This was
long ago, when everyone wasn't as sensitized to the problem, I must
admit. I don't think it happens too often, anymore.

Karen
Betsy

CJB > wrote in message >...
> previously in rfc, "Charles Gifford" > wrote:
>
> > Perhaps this should be called "an attempt to make a chicken dish as it
> > is made somewhere in Africa". Nevertheless, it's pretty good if you
> > like chicken.
> >
> > Charlie
> >
> > AFRICAN CHICKEN

<snip good recipe>

> This looks delicious and I have a cut up chicken with this recipe's name on
> it. I love peanut butter in tomato.
>
> I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
> ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.
>
> -Claudia

Just a note, not to start any flames, but as the mother of a
peanut-allergic son: If you have guests that you don't absolutely KNOW
have no problem with nuts, please ask them before you serve this
"secret ingredient" based recipe. People die from this. I myself
love peanut butter recipes such as this, but I hope nobody serves it
to my son w/o telling him first. Many people (like young men) would
not think to ask if a soup or stew has nuts in it.
betsy
Ranee Mueller

In article >, CJB >
wrote:

> West African Groundnut Soup

Thank you to both you and Charlie! We have the ingredients for both
of these recipes here at home, so I see a couple meals planned for us
already.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Ranee Mueller

In article >, CJB >
wrote:

> West African Groundnut Soup

Thank you to both you and Charlie! We have the ingredients for both
of these recipes here at home, so I see a couple meals planned for us
already.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Charles Gifford

"Tristán White" > wrote in message

> Sounds lovely. Although I'd take out the onions as I have an onion
> allergy ...
> like me!

Onion allergy! How dreadful. Just a brief consideration about how that would
change eating is difficult. I'm sorry to hear about this. I'm sure you cope
well with it, but golly!

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"CJB" > wrote in message
> previously in rfc, "Suuzzee" > wrote:
>

> > CJB > wrote in message

> >> I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
> >> ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.
> >>
> >> -Claudia

> > Howzabout a recipe? Charles' chicken recipe looks wonderful and I'd

also
> > love to try your soup.
> >
> > Suz
> >

> Sure thing. Like any vegetable soup, it's flexible and forgiving and you
> can use what you like in addition to what's normally traditional.
> Different areas have their own variations on this soup.
>
> West African Groundnut Soup

<snip>

Thanks for posting this. It does look good!

> Not traditional, I don't think, but we like a little bit of chopped
> cilantro on top.

Yep. That would be mighty fine!

Charlie

> Enjoy!
>
> -Claudia

Bob

Claudia wrote:

> West African Groundnut Soup

That looks very good, and I'm going to try it as soon as the temperature
starts dropping! Thank you!

Bob

Bob

Claudia wrote:

> West African Groundnut Soup

That looks very good, and I'm going to try it as soon as the temperature
starts dropping! Thank you!

Bob

Tristán White

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:23:01 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>"Tristán White" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Sounds lovely. Although I'd take out the onions as I have an onion
>> allergy ...
>> like me!

>Onion allergy! How dreadful. Just a brief consideration about how that would
>change eating is difficult. I'm sorry to hear about this. I'm sure you cope
>well with it, but golly!

Well the good thing is I do all the cooking (which I love doing),
which is fine as my wife does all the washing-up.

It's very hard to eat at an Indian restaurant or a Mexican restaurant,
so I always have to cook that myself. But other restaurants tend to be
fine about it and go out of their way to help. Vietnamese restaurants,
in my opinion, have been the most helpful, whilst Indian the least.
Tristán White

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:23:01 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>"Tristán White" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Sounds lovely. Although I'd take out the onions as I have an onion
>> allergy ...
>> like me!

>Onion allergy! How dreadful. Just a brief consideration about how that would
>change eating is difficult. I'm sorry to hear about this. I'm sure you cope
>well with it, but golly!

Well the good thing is I do all the cooking (which I love doing),
which is fine as my wife does all the washing-up.

It's very hard to eat at an Indian restaurant or a Mexican restaurant,
so I always have to cook that myself. But other restaurants tend to be
fine about it and go out of their way to help. Vietnamese restaurants,
in my opinion, have been the most helpful, whilst Indian the least.

Charles Gifford

"Tristán White" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:23:01 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Tristán White" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >>
> >> Sounds lovely. Although I'd take out the onions as I have an onion
> >> allergy ...
> >> like me!

> >Onion allergy! How dreadful. Just a brief consideration about how that

would
> >change eating is difficult. I'm sorry to hear about this. I'm sure you

cope
> >well with it, but golly!

> Well the good thing is I do all the cooking (which I love doing),
> which is fine as my wife does all the washing-up.

That's a good way to do it! I used to do all the cooking and washing up in
exchange for not having to do the shopping which I dislike.

> It's very hard to eat at an Indian restaurant or a Mexican restaurant,
> so I always have to cook that myself. But other restaurants tend to be
> fine about it and go out of their way to help. Vietnamese restaurants,
> in my opinion, have been the most helpful, whilst Indian the least.

Very interesting. It seems, on the face of it, to be rather odd as there are
large groups of Indians who do not eat onion, garlic, etc. for religions
reasons.

Charlie

kalanamak

Charles Gifford wrote:

> Very interesting. It seems, on the face of it, to be rather odd as there are
> large groups of Indians who do not eat onion, garlic, etc. for religions
> reasons.
>
> Charlie

This, IIRC, shows the influence of Panjabis. They drove trucks and
trains, and their cooking spread. Madhur Jaffrey talks about eating
bazaar potatoes behind her parents back, as they forbid onions and
garlic as inflamers of passion. Any Brahmin cookbooks out there?
blacksalt
who would find life without onions or lemon grim
kalanamak

Charles Gifford wrote:

> Very interesting. It seems, on the face of it, to be rather odd as there are
> large groups of Indians who do not eat onion, garlic, etc. for religions
> reasons.
>
> Charlie

This, IIRC, shows the influence of Panjabis. They drove trucks and
trains, and their cooking spread. Madhur Jaffrey talks about eating
bazaar potatoes behind her parents back, as they forbid onions and
garlic as inflamers of passion. Any Brahmin cookbooks out there?
blacksalt
who would find life without onions or lemon grim
kalanamak

Charles Gifford wrote:

> Very interesting. It seems, on the face of it, to be rather odd as there are
> large groups of Indians who do not eat onion, garlic, etc. for religions
> reasons.
>
> Charlie

This, IIRC, shows the influence of Panjabis. They drove trucks and
trains, and their cooking spread. Madhur Jaffrey talks about eating
bazaar potatoes behind her parents back, as they forbid onions and
garlic as inflamers of passion. Any Brahmin cookbooks out there?
blacksalt
who would find life without onions or lemon grim
Kamala

kalanamak > wrote in message >...
> Charles Gifford wrote:
>
> > Very interesting. It seems, on the face of it, to be rather odd as there are
> > large groups of Indians who do not eat onion, garlic, etc. for religions
> > reasons.
> >
> > Charlie

> This, IIRC, shows the influence of Panjabis. They drove trucks and
> trains, and their cooking spread. Madhur Jaffrey talks about eating
> bazaar potatoes behind her parents back, as they forbid onions and
> garlic as inflamers of passion. Any Brahmin cookbooks out there?
> blacksalt
> who would find life without onions or lemon grim

I don't know about Brahmin cookbooks, but all of Yamuna Devi's
cookbooks do not use any onion/garlic/fungus/eggs in addition to being
vegetarian. Most "Jain" cookbooks also do not use onion and garlic.
There are a couple of cookbooks by Tarla Dalal(a very popular author
in India) that are entirely devoted to onion-less/garlic-less cooking.
Also look for recipes meant to be eaten during Hindu festivals/fasts
and many South Indian recipes do not use onions or garlic.

Kamla.

Kamala

kalanamak > wrote in message >...
> Charles Gifford wrote:
>
> > Very interesting. It seems, on the face of it, to be rather odd as there are
> > large groups of Indians who do not eat onion, garlic, etc. for religions
> > reasons.
> >
> > Charlie

> This, IIRC, shows the influence of Panjabis. They drove trucks and
> trains, and their cooking spread. Madhur Jaffrey talks about eating
> bazaar potatoes behind her parents back, as they forbid onions and
> garlic as inflamers of passion. Any Brahmin cookbooks out there?
> blacksalt
> who would find life without onions or lemon grim

I don't know about Brahmin cookbooks, but all of Yamuna Devi's
cookbooks do not use any onion/garlic/fungus/eggs in addition to being
vegetarian. Most "Jain" cookbooks also do not use onion and garlic.
There are a couple of cookbooks by Tarla Dalal(a very popular author
in India) that are entirely devoted to onion-less/garlic-less cooking.
Also look for recipes meant to be eaten during Hindu festivals/fasts
and many South Indian recipes do not use onions or garlic.

Kamla.
The Cook

"Charles Gifford" > wrote:

>Perhaps this should be called "an attempt to make a chicken dish as it is
>made somewhere in Africa". Nevertheless, it's pretty good if you like
>chicken.
>
>Charlie
>
>AFRICAN CHICKEN
>
>Source: San Diego Union
>
>4 lbs. chicken, cut up
>2 tbs. oil
>2 medium onions, thinly sliced
>2 cloves garlic, minced
>1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
>1/2 tsp. ground coriander
>1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
>15 oz. can tomato sauce
>1 tbs. red wine vinegar
>

>Arrange chicken in a 3 qt. baking dish (13x9-inch). In a 10-inch skillet
>heat oil and add onion and garlic. Cook gently, stirring often, until
>wilted. Stir in peanut butter, coriander and red pepper flakes. Gradually
>stir in tomato sauce and vinegar. Pour over chicken. Bake uncovered in a
>preheated 400F oven until chicken is tender, about 50 minutes. Serves 4 to
>6.

Good recipe. After the DH got over the idea of the peanut butter, He
liked it too.
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
The Cook

"Charles Gifford" > wrote:

>Perhaps this should be called "an attempt to make a chicken dish as it is
>made somewhere in Africa". Nevertheless, it's pretty good if you like
>chicken.
>
>Charlie
>
>AFRICAN CHICKEN
>
>Source: San Diego Union
>
>4 lbs. chicken, cut up
>2 tbs. oil
>2 medium onions, thinly sliced
>2 cloves garlic, minced
>1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
>1/2 tsp. ground coriander
>1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
>15 oz. can tomato sauce
>1 tbs. red wine vinegar
>

>Arrange chicken in a 3 qt. baking dish (13x9-inch). In a 10-inch skillet
>heat oil and add onion and garlic. Cook gently, stirring often, until
>wilted. Stir in peanut butter, coriander and red pepper flakes. Gradually
>stir in tomato sauce and vinegar. Pour over chicken. Bake uncovered in a
>preheated 400F oven until chicken is tender, about 50 minutes. Serves 4 to
>6.

Good recipe. After the DH got over the idea of the peanut butter, He
liked it too.
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Tristán White

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:28:37 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:
>Japanese Zen monks also avoid all onion and garlic in their food.

As to Hare Krisnas. If I'm visiting a new country (which I do a lot as
I follow my favourite soccer team around Europe) if I don't speak the
language, the first thing I do is look on the 'Net for a Hare Krisna
restaurant. Although by now I can probably say "No onions, please" in
about fifteen languages! :-) The only thing I can't say so easily is
"Because if you do, I will faint, pass out, and be violently ill" in
more than about five :-/

Tristán White

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:28:37 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:
>Japanese Zen monks also avoid all onion and garlic in their food.

As to Hare Krisnas. If I'm visiting a new country (which I do a lot as
I follow my favourite soccer team around Europe) if I don't speak the
language, the first thing I do is look on the 'Net for a Hare Krisna
restaurant. Although by now I can probably say "No onions, please" in
about fifteen languages! :-) The only thing I can't say so easily is
"Because if you do, I will faint, pass out, and be violently ill" in
more than about five :-/

Tristán White

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:28:37 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:
>Japanese Zen monks also avoid all onion and garlic in their food.

As to Hare Krisnas. If I'm visiting a new country (which I do a lot as
I follow my favourite soccer team around Europe) if I don't speak the
language, the first thing I do is look on the 'Net for a Hare Krisna
restaurant. Although by now I can probably say "No onions, please" in
about fifteen languages! :-) The only thing I can't say so easily is
"Because if you do, I will faint, pass out, and be violently ill" in
more than about five :-/

Tristán White

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:28:37 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:
>Japanese Zen monks also avoid all onion and garlic in their food.

As to Hare Krisnas. If I'm visiting a new country (which I do a lot as
I follow my favourite soccer team around Europe) if I don't speak the
language, the first thing I do is look on the 'Net for a Hare Krisna
restaurant. Although by now I can probably say "No onions, please" in
about fifteen languages! :-) The only thing I can't say so easily is
"Because if you do, I will faint, pass out, and be violently ill" in
more than about five :-/

Tristán White

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:28:37 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:
>Japanese Zen monks also avoid all onion and garlic in their food.

As to Hare Krisnas. If I'm visiting a new country (which I do a lot as
I follow my favourite soccer team around Europe) if I don't speak the
language, the first thing I do is look on the 'Net for a Hare Krisna
restaurant. Although by now I can probably say "No onions, please" in
about fifteen languages! :-) The only thing I can't say so easily is
"Because if you do, I will faint, pass out, and be violently ill" in
more than about five :-/

Charles Gifford

"The Cook" > wrote in message

> Good recipe. After the DH got over the idea of the peanut butter, He
> liked it too.
> --
> Susan N.

I'm glad you and DH enjoyed it Susan. Thank you for the feed-back!

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"The Cook" > wrote in message

> Good recipe. After the DH got over the idea of the peanut butter, He
> liked it too.
> --
> Susan N.

I'm glad you and DH enjoyed it Susan. Thank you for the feed-back!

Charlie

Saifee Durbar: Trans-African Rail and African Self Sufficiency Rail Expansion General Cooking 0 15-07-2009 01:06 PM
African (3) Collection The Tea Cat Recipes (moderated) 0 20-04-2006 01:18 PM
african beer Art Beer 2 12-02-2006 12:41 AM
African Apricot Chicken On Skewers Beth Layman Recipes (moderated) 0 07-06-2005 04:26 AM
African Recipes [email protected] General Cooking 5 15-07-2004 09:35 PM