Old 15-10-2004, 12:11 AM
Charles Gifford

Default REC: African Chicken

Perhaps this should be called "an attempt to make a chicken dish as it is
made somewhere in Africa". Nevertheless, it's pretty good if you like
chicken.

Charlie

AFRICAN CHICKEN

Source: San Diego Union

4 lbs. chicken, cut up
2 tbs. oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tbs. red wine vinegar

Arrange chicken in a 3 qt. baking dish (13x9-inch). In a 10-inch skillet
heat oil and add onion and garlic. Cook gently, stirring often, until
wilted. Stir in peanut butter, coriander and red pepper flakes. Gradually
stir in tomato sauce and vinegar. Pour over chicken. Bake uncovered in a
preheated 400F oven until chicken is tender, about 50 minutes. Serves 4 to
6.

Old 15-10-2004, 01:31 AM
CJB

previously in rfc, "Charles Gifford" wrote:

[...]

This looks delicious and I have a cut up chicken with this recipe's name on
it. I love peanut butter in tomato.

I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.

-Claudia

Old 15-10-2004, 04:37 AM
Suuzzee

CJB wrote in message
[...]

Howzabout a recipe? Charles' chicken recipe looks wonderful and I'd also
love to try your soup.

Suz

Old 15-10-2004, 06:58 AM
Bob

Claudia wrote:

I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.

Would you please post the recipe for that? It sounds like something I'd like
to try out on my guests sometime.

Bob

Old 15-10-2004, 12:33 PM
CJB

previously in rfc, "Suuzzee" wrote:

CJB wrote in message

I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.

-Claudia

Howzabout a recipe? Charles' chicken recipe looks wonderful and I'd also
love to try your soup.

Suz

Sure thing. Like any vegetable soup, it's flexible and forgiving and you
can use what you like in addition to what's normally traditional.
Different areas have their own variations on this soup.

West African Groundnut Soup

1 peeled chopped sweet yam
2 peeled chopped carrots
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed (I use the press directly into the pot)
a small piece of ginger, minced
oil for sauteeing
spices: cayenne, salt, black pepper, a shake of red pepper flakes
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (I use chicken, if I don't use homemade
then I'm more careful on the seasoning as the canned is usually saltier
than my own)
2 cups crushed tomatoes
OR 2 cups diced tomatoes
OR 1 small can tomato paste (I use canned crushed tomatoes)
1/3 - 1/2 cup peanut butter

Sautee the yam, carrots and onion in a bit of oil at the bottom of a soup
pot for a few minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, sautee for another
minute or so.

Add the stock and tomatoes. A good shake of red pepper flakes. Stir, cook
covered over a low flame until the vegetables are tender (half hour? It
doesn't matter, as long as you keep stirring the bottom so it doesn't stick
you really can't overcook it)

Stir in the peanut butter. Cook a little longer until the soup is smooth
(5 minutes or so)

Season to taste with the peppers and salt. We like ours a little spicier.

You can also add a chopped hot pepper to the original vegetable sautee.

Not traditional, I don't think, but we like a little bit of chopped
cilantro on top.

Enjoy!

-Claudia

Old 15-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Tristán White

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:11:59 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
wrote:

AFRICAN CHICKEN

Source: San Diego Union

4 lbs. chicken, cut up
2 tbs. oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tbs. red wine vinegar

Arrange chicken in a 3 qt. baking dish (13x9-inch). In a 10-inch skillet
heat oil and add onion and garlic. Cook gently, stirring often, until
wilted. Stir in peanut butter, coriander and red pepper flakes. Gradually
stir in tomato sauce and vinegar. Pour over chicken. Bake uncovered in a
preheated 400F oven until chicken is tender, about 50 minutes. Serves 4 to
6.

Sounds lovely. Although I'd take out the onions as I have an onion
allergy ...
like me!

I would also use fresh coriander.... it's such a lovely flavour!

Old 15-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Karen O'Mara

CJB wrote in message ...

This looks delicious and I have a cut up chicken with this recipe's name on
it. I love peanut butter in tomato.

I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.

These dishes sound deeeelish. I have to add a postscript, though. When
serving to guests, be sure to tell people that peanut butter is in
these dishes, because they could have an allergy.

When I was attending Cal Lutheran College in Calif., a fellow student
died after eating chili. The chili had peanut butter in it and he
didn't know that. His allergy to that ingredient killed him. This was
long ago, when everyone wasn't as sensitized to the problem, I must
admit. I don't think it happens too often, anymore.

Karen
Old 15-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Karen O'Mara

CJB wrote in message ...

This looks delicious and I have a cut up chicken with this recipe's name on
it. I love peanut butter in tomato.

I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.

These dishes sound deeeelish. I have to add a postscript, though. When
serving to guests, be sure to tell people that peanut butter is in
these dishes, because they could have an allergy.

When I was attending Cal Lutheran College in Calif., a fellow student
died after eating chili. The chili had peanut butter in it and he
didn't know that. His allergy to that ingredient killed him. This was
long ago, when everyone wasn't as sensitized to the problem, I must
admit. I don't think it happens too often, anymore.

Karen

Saifee Durbar: Trans-African Rail and African Self Sufficiency Rail Expansion General Cooking 0 15-07-2009 01:06 PM
African (3) Collection The Tea Cat Recipes (moderated) 0 20-04-2006 01:18 PM
african beer Art Beer 2 11-02-2006 11:41 PM
African Apricot Chicken On Skewers Beth Layman Recipes (moderated) 0 07-06-2005 04:26 AM
African Recipes [email protected] General Cooking 5 15-07-2004 09:35 PM