FoodBanter.com

-   -   Halloween (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/37936-halloween.html)

Virginia Tadrzynski 10-10-2004 04:29 AM

Halloween

My place of employment wants us to dress for the occassion. Is anyone else
doing it and what are you going as......I thought I would be a deviled egg.
-Ginny

--
"There are weapons of mass destruction.....and Dick Cheney has the receipt"
.. -Prof. Irwin Corey

Melba's Jammin' 10-10-2004 02:09 PM

In article >, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

> My place of employment wants us to dress for the occassion. Is anyone
> else
> doing it and what are you going as......I thought I would be a deviled
> egg.
> -Ginny

We went to a costume party once where we had to dress up as song titles.
A very simple one: Wear a big pocke****ch around your neck and carry
and empty open purse or wallet. "If You've Got The Money, Honey, I've
Got The Time." Rob wore a red sweatshirt and went as "The Red, Red
Robin. Goes Bob Bob Bobbing Along". I wore a hooded robe like a monk
and walked around saying only "evening" in various chant tones. "Some
Monk Chanted Evening." "-) (OK, "Some Enchanted Evening" - Rossano
Brassi, eh?)

When Beck was 7-1/2 months pregnant, she wore a black sports bra and
black tights -- and painted her enormous belly orange -- like a
jack-o-lantern. I think her bellybutton was the nose. :-) It was a
small party with only very good friends in attendance. The picture is
hysterical! (Have you looked at the pic of Sam as pumpkin on my
webpage, Ginny? Do.)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-09-04; Sam I Am!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Gal Called J.J. 10-10-2004 03:51 PM

One time on Usenet, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > said:

> My place of employment wants us to dress for the occassion. Is anyone else
> doing it and what are you going as......I thought I would be a deviled egg.

A fellow mom dressed up as an egg with horns, tail, and pitchfork two
years ago, is that what you mean? I absolutely loved that costume...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

Beirader 11-10-2004 01:06 AM

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> My place of employment wants us to dress for the occassion. Is anyone else
> doing it and what are you going as......I thought I would be a deviled egg.
> -Ginny
>

> --
> "There are weapons of mass destruction.....and Dick Cheney has the receipt"
> . -Prof. Irwin Corey

Well as a real practicing "Witch" and member of an active Coven I plan
to dress up as an angel. And I am taking the wonderful receipt for
Angel Food Cake that I done for years. It is filled with chocolate so
that when it is cut in runs out in a river of yummy stuff. The top is
frosted with cream cheese, powdered sugar and pecans with coconut shreds
toasted.
I also make a devils food cake with all the appropriate stuff in it,
just what would have been expected. Now this is for a work thingy.
You would love what we really have to eat at our Samhain festival.
Hope this doesn't get to the wrong newsgroup again!
Bee

CJB 11-10-2004 01:07 AM

previously in rfc, Beirader > wrote:

> Well as a real practicing "Witch" and member of an active Coven I
> plan to dress up as an angel. And I am taking the wonderful receipt
> for Angel Food Cake that I done for years. It is filled with
> chocolate so that when it is cut in runs out in a river of yummy
> stuff. The top is frosted with cream cheese, powdered sugar and
> pecans with coconut shreds toasted.

I'd love to have that recipe!! It sounds delicious. :)

-Claudia

Gregory Morrow 11-10-2004 01:37 AM

Beirader wrote:

> Well as a real practicing "Witch" and member of an active Coven

What an ignorant bunch of BS.

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow 12-10-2004 03:22 AM

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> What is served at Samhain?

Studpidity.

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow 12-10-2004 03:22 AM

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> What is served at Samhain?

Studpidity.

--
Best
Greg

Beirader 12-10-2004 05:34 PM

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>

>>What is served at Samhain?

> Studpidity.

How would you know. Stupid people who go to Grinnell and live in that
state of mindlessness would never have a clue.

Beirader 12-10-2004 05:34 PM

Beirader 12-10-2004 05:37 PM

wrote:

>>>Why? Do you work in a bank?

>> Banks are usually closed Sundays. I was curious where she worked,
>>too, to be going in on a Sunday.
>>
>> I don't get halloween costumes at work. These are adults, if they
>>want to dress up, do it at a party or after work. Not to mention that
>>since Halloween is technically a religious holiday, I wonder why people
>>don't get all het up about it being displayed at work, in public, at
>>schools, etc.

> You and two other people remember that the historical background
> Halloween is religious. Well, OK, maybe a few more remember. For most
> folks it's about pumpkins, black cats, and witches on broomsticks! :-)
>
> Seriously, I doubt it occurs to most people.

Yes indeed, Samhain is a truly religious holiday. here in Salem the
parties start at the beginning of October but really get into high gear
when all those outsiders travel here for their "Halloween" fun.
The true New Year occurs at the winter solstice and then on into the
rest of the year.
We have wonderful times and great food.

Beirader 12-10-2004 05:37 PM

Ranee Mueller 15-10-2004 01:15 AM

In article >, baker
> wrote:

> You and two other people remember that the historical background
> Halloween is religious. Well, OK, maybe a few more remember. For most
> folks it's about pumpkins, black cats, and witches on broomsticks! :-)

Those are the religious symbols. :) I just find it odd that people
get in a snit about Christmas lights at work, but are okay with dressing
up and having Halloween decorations up.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

baker 15-10-2004 02:35 AM

Ranee Mueller > wrote in
:

> In article >, baker
> > wrote:
>
>> You and two other people remember that the historical background
>> Halloween is religious. Well, OK, maybe a few more remember. For
>> most folks it's about pumpkins, black cats, and witches on
>> broomsticks! :-)

> Those are the religious symbols. :) I just find it odd that
> people
> get in a snit about Christmas lights at work, but are okay with
> dressing up and having Halloween decorations up.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

Yes, I know, but most folks either don't think of that or don't even
know that.

--
It's me, Baker!

When the Chips are Down,
the Buffalo is Empty.

baker 15-10-2004 02:35 AM

Ranee Mueller > wrote in
:

sf 15-10-2004 05:50 AM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 01:35:04 GMT, baker >
wrote:

> Yes, I know, but most folks either don't think of that or don't even
> know that.

More likely don't know. Ignorance is bliss!

sf

Beirader 15-10-2004 09:09 AM

baker wrote:
> Ranee Mueller > wrote in
> :
>

>>In article >, baker
> wrote:
>>

>>>You and two other people remember that the historical background
>>>Halloween is religious. Well, OK, maybe a few more remember. For
>>>most folks it's about pumpkins, black cats, and witches on
>>>broomsticks! :-)

>> Those are the religious symbols. :) I just find it odd that
>> people
>>get in a snit about Christmas lights at work, but are okay with
>>dressing up and having Halloween decorations up.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ranee
>>

> Yes, I know, but most folks either don't think of that or don't even
> know that.

As a practicing Wiccan I observe Samhain/Halloween as a most sacred
holiday of the year. We have a marvelous time that is both serious and
festive. At our home we have all kinds of decor dealing with the holiday
One year I gave out pamphlets on The Wiccan Religion and there were over
300 takers along with the appropriate candy.
It is a great time to educate those who want to know more.
Bee

baker 15-10-2004 01:02 PM

Beirader > wrote in
:

> baker wrote:
>> Ranee Mueller > wrote in
>> :

>>> Those are the religious symbols. :) I just find it odd that
>>> people
>>>get in a snit about Christmas lights at work, but are okay with
>>>dressing up and having Halloween decorations up.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ranee
>>>

>> Yes, I know, but most folks either don't think of that or don't even
>> know that.
>>

> As a practicing Wiccan I observe Samhain/Halloween as a most sacred
> holiday of the year. We have a marvelous time that is both serious
> and festive. At our home we have all kinds of decor dealing with the
> holiday One year I gave out pamphlets on The Wiccan Religion and there
> were over 300 takers along with the appropriate candy.
> It is a great time to educate those who want to know more.
> Bee

I have a highschool friend who became a practicing Wiccan years ago. I
have learned much from him.

--
It's me, Baker!

When the Chips are Down,
the Buffalo is Empty.

baker 15-10-2004 01:02 PM

Beirader > wrote in
:

Tristán White 15-10-2004 03:53 PM

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 23:29:44 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>My place of employment wants us to dress for the occassion. Is anyone else
>doing it and what are you going as......I thought I would be a deviled egg.
>-Ginny

Ouch! you work on a Sunday?

Tristán White 15-10-2004 03:53 PM

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 23:29:44 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>My place of employment wants us to dress for the occassion. Is anyone else
>doing it and what are you going as......I thought I would be a deviled egg.
>-Ginny

Ouch! you work on a Sunday?