Default Sour Cream turning to Water PROBLEM Please help

I buy regular sour cream from wal-mart and put it in the fridge. My
fridge is very cool and at the correct temperature. For some reason
within about a week the sour cream turns to the consistancy of water.
It is VERY runny all the way through (not just the top). Has anyone
else had this problem? What is going on? I know it isn't the sour
cream because I have talked to some friends who buy the same stuff and
it does not do this to them.

Thanks,
Adam
Bob (this one)

)
>>wrote:
>>

>>>I buy regular sour cream from wal-mart and put it in the fridge. My
>>>fridge is very cool and at the correct temperature. For some reason
>>>within about a week the sour cream turns to the consistancy of water.
>>>It is VERY runny all the way through (not just the top). Has anyone
>>>else had this problem? What is going on? I know it isn't the sour
>>>cream because I have talked to some friends who buy the same stuff and
>>>it does not do this to them.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Adam

>>I don't know, but I'd take it back. Shouldn't do it.
>>(That watery top, BTW, is due to syneresis - common in a high acid
>>gelled product.)
>>--
>>-Barb,

> It could also be due to sticking the spoon back in after you've
> tasted the sour cream. The little bit of saliva sticking to the
> spoon partially "digests" the ramaining sour cream.

More likely the gel is disturbed and separates as happens with all
cultured dairy products. That saliva would be too trivial an amount of
enzyme to actually do that to any appreciable extent.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

)
>>wrote:
>>

>>>I buy regular sour cream from wal-mart and put it in the fridge. My
>>>fridge is very cool and at the correct temperature. For some reason
>>>within about a week the sour cream turns to the consistancy of water.
>>>It is VERY runny all the way through (not just the top). Has anyone
>>>else had this problem? What is going on? I know it isn't the sour
>>>cream because I have talked to some friends who buy the same stuff and
>>>it does not do this to them.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Adam

>>I don't know, but I'd take it back. Shouldn't do it.
>>(That watery top, BTW, is due to syneresis - common in a high acid
>>gelled product.)
>>--
>>-Barb,

> It could also be due to sticking the spoon back in after you've
> tasted the sour cream. The little bit of saliva sticking to the
> spoon partially "digests" the ramaining sour cream.

More likely the gel is disturbed and separates as happens with all
cultured dairy products. That saliva would be too trivial an amount of
enzyme to actually do that to any appreciable extent.

Pastorio

Stara Baba

In article >, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> Puester wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> >>In article >,
> )

> >>I don't know, but I'd take it back. Shouldn't do it.
> >>(That watery top, BTW, is due to syneresis - common in a high acid
> >>gelled product.)
> >>--
> >>-Barb,

> > It could also be due to sticking the spoon back in after you've
> > tasted the sour cream. The little bit of saliva sticking to the
> > spoon partially "digests" the ramaining sour cream.

> More likely the gel is disturbed and separates as happens with all
> cultured dairy products. That saliva would be too trivial an amount of
> enzyme to actually do that to any appreciable extent.
>
> Pastorio

I understood him to say like completely liquid, Row-behr-to, not just
the normal syneresis/separation. Weird is what I think it is. Icky,
actually.
-Barb Smotana
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-9-04; Sam I Am! tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Stara Baba

In article >, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> Puester wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> >>In article >,
> )

> >>I don't know, but I'd take it back. Shouldn't do it.
> >>(That watery top, BTW, is due to syneresis - common in a high acid
> >>gelled product.)
> >>--
> >>-Barb,

> > It could also be due to sticking the spoon back in after you've
> > tasted the sour cream. The little bit of saliva sticking to the
> > spoon partially "digests" the ramaining sour cream.

> More likely the gel is disturbed and separates as happens with all
> cultured dairy products. That saliva would be too trivial an amount of
> enzyme to actually do that to any appreciable extent.
>
> Pastorio

I understood him to say like completely liquid, Row-behr-to, not just
the normal syneresis/separation. Weird is what I think it is. Icky,
actually.
-Barb Smotana
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-9-04; Sam I Am! tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.
Bob (this one)

)

>>>It could also be due to sticking the spoon back in after you've
>>>tasted the sour cream. The little bit of saliva sticking to the
>>>spoon partially "digests" the ramaining sour cream.

>>More likely the gel is disturbed and separates as happens with all
>>cultured dairy products. That saliva would be too trivial an amount of
>>enzyme to actually do that to any appreciable extent.
>>
>>Pastorio
>>

> I understood him to say like completely liquid, Row-behr-to, not just
> the normal syneresis/separation. Weird is what I think it is. Icky,
> actually.
> -Barb Smotana

Shall we all sing the song...? Stara baba niema...

I drove back from Canada with some wonderful yogurt. It was solid when
I left and liquid when I got home. Cold the whole time. Figured out it
was the vibration of the van on the drive home. Broke the gel.

If it's an old fridge, it could be vibrating as the rubber compressor
mounts are compressed to a hard base. I don't actually believe this,
but it's the best I could do on short notice.

Pastorio

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> Stara Baba wrote:

> >>More likely the gel is disturbed and separates as happens with all
> >>cultured dairy products. That saliva would be too trivial an amount of
> >>enzyme to actually do that to any appreciable extent.
> >>
> >>Pastorio
> >>

> > I understood him to say like completely liquid, Row-behr-to, not just
> > the normal syneresis/separation. Weird is what I think it is. Icky,
> > actually.
> > -Barb Smotana

> Shall we all sing the song...? Stara baba niema...

Hmm, I don't think I have that one in my repertoire of
slivovice-drinking tunes.
LOL! I inadvertently put the wrong handle as the default. :-)

> I drove back from Canada with some wonderful yogurt. It was solid when
> I left and liquid when I got home. Cold the whole time. Figured out it
> was the vibration of the van on the drive home. Broke the gel.

> If it's an old fridge, it could be vibrating as the rubber compressor
> mounts are compressed to a hard base. I don't actually believe this,
> but it's the best I could do on short notice.

Man, am I glad to hear THAT!! :-)

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-09-04; Sam I Am!.