Default Creme Andalouse

When I lived in New York City, I often ate at a little bistro called La
Bonne Soup. They made a wonderful creamed vegetable soup with a tomato
base called Creme Andalous, and it was to die for!

I've looked everyplace for a recipe for this soup; all Google produced
was a review of the restaurant, and a recipe for some cold vegetable
concoction that didn't sound ANYTHING like the fabulous hot soup I
recall.

Does anyone have a recipe?

Thanks!

MOMPEAGRAM

I used a translator (http://world.altavista.com/tr) To translate this
recipe. Hope it helps.

Andalusian cream 4 people cooking: 20 preparation minutes: 5 minutes 750 G
of tomatos 1 cucumber 2 green peppers 1 green pepper 8 small fresh onions 1
pod d'ail 1/2 liter of hen bubble (cubic) 100 G of fresh cream (reduced 15%)
bread for let us croûtons salt and pepper Peel tomatos, one of two green
peppers, the pod d'ail and onions. Salt, pepper slightly. Cut the green
peppers and green remainders in very small dice. Also cut fresh onions out
of dice. Prepare the small ones croûtons. Serve soup frozen in large
glasses, accompanied by these various ingredients, that each one will add
according to its taste, and d'une cut of cream fraiche peppered and
légérement muscadée to season l'ensemble.

> wrote in message
> When I lived in New York City, I often ate at a little bistro called La
> Bonne Soup. They made a wonderful creamed vegetable soup with a tomato
> base called Creme Andalous, and it was to die for!
>
> I've looked everyplace for a recipe for this soup; all Google produced
> was a review of the restaurant, and a recipe for some cold vegetable
> concoction that didn't sound ANYTHING like the fabulous hot soup I
> recall.
>
> Does anyone have a recipe?
>
> Thanks!

Glenn Jacobs

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 08:22:33 -0400, MOMPEAGRAM wrote:

> Andalusian cream 4 people cooking: 20 preparation minutes: 5 minutes 750 G
> of tomatos 1 cucumber 2 green peppers 1 green pepper 8 small fresh onions 1
> pod d'ail 1/2 liter of hen bubble (cubic) 100 G of fresh cream (reduced 15%)
> bread for let us croûtons salt and pepper Peel tomatos, one of two green
> peppers, the pod d'ail and onions. Salt, pepper slightly. Cut the green
> peppers and green remainders in very small dice. Also cut fresh onions out
> of dice. Prepare the small ones croûtons. Serve soup frozen in large
> glasses, accompanied by these various ingredients, that each one will add
> according to its taste, and d'une cut of cream fraiche peppered and
> légérement muscadée to season l'ensemble.

Do you have it in the original Spanish or could you point me to it, the
translation is not great and I would be happy to translate it.

--
JakeInHartsel

If there is a God, let it be Bacchus!

Boron Elgar

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 07:55:51 -0600, Glenn Jacobs
> wrote:

>On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 08:22:33 -0400, MOMPEAGRAM wrote:
>
>> Andalusian cream 4 people cooking: 20 preparation minutes: 5 minutes 750 G
>> of tomatos 1 cucumber 2 green peppers 1 green pepper 8 small fresh onions 1
>> pod d'ail 1/2 liter of hen bubble (cubic) 100 G of fresh cream (reduced 15%)
>> bread for let us croûtons salt and pepper Peel tomatos, one of two green
>> peppers, the pod d'ail and onions. Salt, pepper slightly. Cut the green
>> peppers and green remainders in very small dice. Also cut fresh onions out
>> of dice. Prepare the small ones croûtons. Serve soup frozen in large
>> glasses, accompanied by these various ingredients, that each one will add
>> according to its taste, and d'une cut of cream fraiche peppered and
>> légérement muscadée to season l'ensemble.

>Do you have it in the original Spanish or could you point me to it, the
>translation is not great and I would be happy to translate it.

But I LOVE hen bubble!

Boron

Thanks....but.....what the heck is "hen bubble?????"

Charles Gifford

> wrote in message
> When I lived in New York City, I often ate at a little bistro called La
> Bonne Soup. They made a wonderful creamed vegetable soup with a tomato
> base called Creme Andalous, and it was to die for!
>
> I've looked everyplace for a recipe for this soup; all Google produced
> was a review of the restaurant, and a recipe for some cold vegetable
> concoction that didn't sound ANYTHING like the fabulous hot soup I
> recall.
>
> Does anyone have a recipe?
>
> Thanks!

I have "La Bonne Soupe Cookbook" and it contains that recipe. If you give
until tomorrow, I will type it out for you. It is an excellent cookbook and
I recommend it. Authored by Jean-Paul Picot and Doris Tobias.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

> wrote in message
> When I lived in New York City, I often ate at a little bistro called La
> Bonne Soup. They made a wonderful creamed vegetable soup with a tomato
> base called Creme Andalous, and it was to die for!
>
> I've looked everyplace for a recipe for this soup; all Google produced
> was a review of the restaurant, and a recipe for some cold vegetable
> concoction that didn't sound ANYTHING like the fabulous hot soup I
> recall.
>
> Does anyone have a recipe?
>
> Thanks!

I got it typed a little sooner than I thought! Here you go!

Charlie

SOUPE CRÈME ANDALOUSE

Recipe from: "La Bonne Soupe Cookbook - Easy Homey Recipes from a
Quintessential French-American Bistro", Jean-Paul Picot and Doris Tobias,
Macmillan, 1997

3 tbs. unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium-size onions, chopped
5 ribs celery, chopped
5 large, firm-ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 quart homemade chicken broth or low-sodium canned broth
6-oz. can tomato paste
1 cup raw long-grain rice
1 cup light or heavy cream
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a 3-qt. saucepan over low heat. Add the garlic and onions
and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, 3 to 4
minutes. Add the celery and tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the celery
starts to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.

Add the broth and tomato paste, stirring to blend well. Raise the heat to
high and bring the liquid to a boil. Add the rice, reduce the heat to
medium, cover partially, and cook until the rice is tender, 20 to 25
minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat and cool slightly. Purée the mixture in a food
processor or blender, in batches if necessary.

At this point the soup can be refrigerated tightly covered, for up to 3
days. If needed, re-heat the soup over medium heat until hot but not
boiling. Slowly add the cream, stirring to blend and season with salt and
pepper. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the soup is piping hot. Don't
allow the liquid to come to a boil. Ladle into warmed soup bowls.

Note: The natural thickener is rice.

Charles Gifford

> wrote in message
> When I lived in New York City, I often ate at a little bistro called La
> Bonne Soup. They made a wonderful creamed vegetable soup with a tomato
> base called Creme Andalous, and it was to die for!
>
> I've looked everyplace for a recipe for this soup; all Google produced
> was a review of the restaurant, and a recipe for some cold vegetable
> concoction that didn't sound ANYTHING like the fabulous hot soup I
> recall.
>
> Does anyone have a recipe?
>
> Thanks!

I got it typed a little sooner than I thought! Here you go!

Charlie

SOUPE CRÈME ANDALOUSE

Recipe from: "La Bonne Soupe Cookbook - Easy Homey Recipes from a
Quintessential French-American Bistro", Jean-Paul Picot and Doris Tobias,
Macmillan, 1997

3 tbs. unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium-size onions, chopped
5 ribs celery, chopped
5 large, firm-ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 quart homemade chicken broth or low-sodium canned broth
6-oz. can tomato paste
1 cup raw long-grain rice
1 cup light or heavy cream
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a 3-qt. saucepan over low heat. Add the garlic and onions
and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, 3 to 4
minutes. Add the celery and tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the celery
starts to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.

Add the broth and tomato paste, stirring to blend well. Raise the heat to
high and bring the liquid to a boil. Add the rice, reduce the heat to
medium, cover partially, and cook until the rice is tender, 20 to 25
minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat and cool slightly. Purée the mixture in a food
processor or blender, in batches if necessary.

At this point the soup can be refrigerated tightly covered, for up to 3
days. If needed, re-heat the soup over medium heat until hot but not
boiling. Slowly add the cream, stirring to blend and season with salt and
pepper. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the soup is piping hot. Don't
allow the liquid to come to a boil. Ladle into warmed soup bowls.

Note: The natural thickener is rice.

Thanks Charlie - you're an angel!

(((HUG)))

I used to love that place. I worked down the block in what was then
Burlington House, and for something like $6.99 you'd get your choice of
soup (I always got the French onion, until I discovered the creme
andalouse), a basket of hot, crusty French bread, choice of dessert
(invariably the cheesecake for me), a small salad, and a glass of wine,
or coffee or tea.

About six years ago I found myself in NYC again, and of course had to go
to my favorite restaurant. The price had gone up to $15.99, the soup
was good but lukewarm, the bread stale, and the dessert had shrunk.

Hopefully, thanks to you, I'll be able to reproduce the heavenly
concoction I remember so well!

"This looks very good Charlie, but I have one silly question. How many
servings does it make? My guess is four 1 cup servings.

If the recipe makes soup as good as I remember it used to be, it'll make
one VERY LARGE serving! )

Michel Boucher

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in
ink.net:

>> Hence my question, why the term andalouse? It could have been a
>> chef from Benalmadena or Ronda who moved to Paris...it could be a
>> misunderstanding (along the lines of Elephant and Castle)...I
>> want to know. So sue me. :-)
>>

> Yer a pain in the ass Boucher! ;-)

Git orf it Gifford...I'm jist axing.

> The Authors say:
>
> "Quite often French dishes using cooked tomatoes bear Spanish
> names, for the French associate tomatoes with the sunny south and
> just below the Pyrenees lies sunny Spain. The French attitude
> toward Spain tends to be a romantic one. Think of Bizet and his
> world-acclaimed chef-d'oeuvre Carmen. Think of Manuel de Falla,
> composing Spanish music while sitting in a Paris apartment. Think
> of Picasso and his leadership of the School of Paris. Then try
> this sunny tomato soup."

Yes, I know that they use the word Spanish to describe tomato dishes.
Spanish rice in particular. And if the reference is to the provinces
of Catalonia or Aragon, I could understand, but Andalucia is FAR from
the French border. And the ingredients are not local.}
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbtttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiii00000000
0000000000000888888888888888888888888888888888888

--

"It is easier for a rich man to enter heaven seated
comfortably on the back of a camel, than it is for

Supply Side Jesus
Kate Connally

MOMPEAGRAM wrote:

> I used a translator (http://world.altavista.com/tr) To translate this
> recipe. Hope it helps.
>
> Andalusian cream 4 people cooking: 20 preparation minutes: 5 minutes 750 G
> of tomatos 1 cucumber

> 2 green peppers

This should be 2 *red* peppers

> 1 green pepper 8 small fresh onions

>1 pod d'ail

This is 1 clove garlic

> 1/2 liter of hen bubble (cubic)

This is chicken broth or stock

> 100 G of fresh cream (reduced 15%)
> bread for let us croûtons salt and pepper Peel tomatos,

> one of two green peppers, the pod d'ail and onions.

This should be "one of the 2 red peppers, the garlic,
and onions"

> Salt, pepper slightly.

> Cut the green peppers and green remainders in very small dice.

This should be "cut the remaining red pepper and the green
pepper . . . "

? Also cut fresh onions out
> of dice. Prepare the small ones croûtons.

> Serve soup frozen in large glasses,

This should be serve "soup iced (chilled) in large glasses"

> accompanied by these various ingredients, that each one will add
> according to its taste, and

> d'une cut of cream fraiche peppered and
> légérement muscadée to season l'ensemble.

This should be "a portion (dollop) or creme fraiche,
peppered and lightly nutmegged (seasoned lightly
with nutmeg) . . . "

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kicked-up Thousand Island, Andalouse sauce? Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 5 06-11-2012 02:26 AM
Creme Brule Old Dominion General Cooking 10 24-09-2006 02:18 AM
CREME BRULEE Duckie ® Recipes 0 06-03-2005 05:06 AM
Creme Fraiche Vicki Story Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2005 03:36 AM
Crème Anglaise, what is it? Jarkat2002 General Cooking 17 02-08-2004 01:55 PM