Sam D.

Default Is Newsprint Harmful?

Would anyone know if the paper or ink used in newsprint can be harmful
if a small amount were ingeted?

I was draining salted eggplant slices between paper towels and
newsprint above and below the paper towels. All the newsprint became
damp and some of the black ink was absorbed through the top paper
towel and stained a few slices of the eggplant. I'm not concerned
about the appearance or taste, just the safety. I am inclined to think
it is OK but I don't really know. I was going to call the local
newspaper but then it occurred to me that their answer or non-answer
would would be influenced by liability concerns.

Sam D.

"Sam D." > wrote in message
> Would anyone know if the paper or ink used in newsprint can be

harmful
> if a small amount were ingeted?

Oops, that should be *ingested*.

JimLane

Sam D. wrote:
> Would anyone know if the paper or ink used in newsprint can be harmful
> if a small amount were ingeted?
>
> I was draining salted eggplant slices between paper towels and
> newsprint above and below the paper towels. All the newsprint became
> damp and some of the black ink was absorbed through the top paper
> towel and stained a few slices of the eggplant. I'm not concerned
> about the appearance or taste, just the safety. I am inclined to think
> it is OK but I don't really know. I was going to call the local
> newspaper but then it occurred to me that their answer or non-answer
> would would be influenced by liability concerns.

Much ado about nothing. Years ago when inks were toxic, there was a
cooker that featured grilling over balls of newspaper in a small
trashcan-sized cooker. Never heard of anyone dying from that.

Most newspaper ink today is vegetable based/soy based. That is why it is
only dark gray and not black.

Colored inks, I don't know about, other than the generality above.

jim
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Sam D." > said:

> Would anyone know if the paper or ink used in newsprint can be harmful
> if a small amount were ingeted?

<snip>

Given the amount of ink that printers absorb through the skin
(I speak from experience), I wouldn't think eating a tiny bit
would hurt, unless one was allergic to it...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Pan Ohco

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:21:33 -0700, "Sam D." >
wrote:

>Would anyone know if the paper or ink used in newsprint can be harmful
>if a small amount were ingeted?
>
>I was draining salted eggplant slices between paper towels and
>newsprint above and below the paper towels. All the newsprint became
>damp and some of the black ink was absorbed through the top paper
>towel and stained a few slices of the eggplant. I'm not concerned
>about the appearance or taste, just the safety. I am inclined to think
>it is OK but I don't really know. I was going to call the local
>newspaper but then it occurred to me that their answer or non-answer
>would would be influenced by liability concerns.

Most newspaper ink (black) in use now is soy based, so therefore
probably safe to eat, from what I've heard. Not so with the colored
printed pages.
Pan Ohco

The Wolf

Pan Ohco > wrote:

In the UK street vendors used to wrap Fish & Chips in newsprint. It is
no longer allowed, there must be reason.

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:21:33 -0700, "Sam D." >
> wrote:
>
> >Would anyone know if the paper or ink used in newsprint can be harmful
> >if a small amount were ingeted?
> >
> >I was draining salted eggplant slices between paper towels and
> >newsprint above and below the paper towels. All the newsprint became
> >damp and some of the black ink was absorbed through the top paper
> >towel and stained a few slices of the eggplant. I'm not concerned
> >about the appearance or taste, just the safety. I am inclined to think
> >it is OK but I don't really know. I was going to call the local
> >newspaper but then it occurred to me that their answer or non-answer
> >would would be influenced by liability concerns.
> >

> Most newspaper ink (black) in use now is soy based, so therefore
> probably safe to eat, from what I've heard. Not so with the colored
> printed pages.
> Pan Ohco

PENMART01

Subject: Is Newsprint Harmful?

Only to the illiterate.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
G. Morgan

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:04:16 GMT "The Wolf"
used 25 lines of text to write in newsgroup: rec.food.cooking

>In the UK street vendors used to wrap Fish & Chips in newsprint. It is
>no longer allowed, there must be reason.

Fish and Chips are no longer allowed? That sucks.

-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
The Wolf

G. Morgan > wrote:

No longer allowed by be wrapped in newsprint.........

> On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:04:16 GMT "The Wolf"
> used 25 lines of text to write in newsgroup: rec.food.cooking
>
> >In the UK street vendors used to wrap Fish & Chips in newsprint. It is
> >no longer allowed, there must be reason.

> Fish and Chips are no longer allowed? That sucks.
>

> -Graham
>
> Remove the 'snails' from my email

JimLane

Here's some links I posted independently of this thread.

JimLane wrote:
> Sam D. wrote:
>
>> Would anyone know if the paper or ink used in newsprint can be harmful
>> if a small amount were ingeted?

snip

> Much ado about nothing. Years ago when inks were toxic, there was a
> cooker that featured grilling over balls of newspaper in a small
> trashcan-sized cooker. Never heard of anyone dying from that.
>
> Most newspaper ink today is vegetable based/soy based. That is why it is
> only dark gray and not black.
>
> Colored inks, I don't know about, other than the generality above.

Here are some links:

http://www.pneac.org/listserv/printe...eral.html#Inks

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/index.cfm?o...C8BB711AA68601

There are a lot of others. Go he

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B28523C79

jim

JimLane

The Wolf wrote:
> Pan Ohco > wrote:
>
> In the UK street vendors used to wrap Fish & Chips in newsprint. It is
> no longer allowed, there must be reason.

Perhaps the inks used in GB are metal or petro-based or non-soy.
Different side of the pond, you know.

jim
notbob

On 2004-10-08, Sam D. > wrote:
> Would anyone know if the paper or ink used in newsprint can be harmful
> if a small amount were ingeted?

Yes, it makes you teeth stick out with big unsightly gaps and act the ******
at soccer (football) matches.

nb
Jack Schidt®

"Sam D." > wrote in message
> Would anyone know if the paper or ink used in newsprint can be harmful
> if a small amount were ingeted?
>
> I was draining salted eggplant slices between paper towels and
> newsprint above and below the paper towels. All the newsprint became
> damp and some of the black ink was absorbed through the top paper
> towel and stained a few slices of the eggplant. I'm not concerned
> about the appearance or taste, just the safety. I am inclined to think
> it is OK but I don't really know. I was going to call the local
> newspaper but then it occurred to me that their answer or non-answer
> would would be influenced by liability concerns.

No, it's not harmful. 4 color soy based ink has been available since the
1980's, IIRC, and is the industry standard. Newspapers are, however, dirty.

Jack Tint