sf

Default Ping: Luca

What is the Italian style in your area for cooking pot
roast? You don't need to give me exact measurements, just
an idea... my daughter requested that for dinner tomorrow
and I'm clueless.

TIA
sf

sf
Luca Pinotti

sf wrote:
> What is the Italian style in your area for cooking pot
> roast? You don't need to give me exact measurements, just
> an idea... my daughter requested that for dinner tomorrow
> and I'm clueless.

What's a pot roast?
A roast cooked in a pot?
Should be something like the "rustin negaa" in Milan.
Is it?

Luca

---
Nolite proicere margaritas ad porcos

Christopher Green

"Luca Pinotti" > wrote in message >...
> sf wrote:
> > What is the Italian style in your area for cooking pot
> > roast? You don't need to give me exact measurements, just
> > an idea... my daughter requested that for dinner tomorrow
> > and I'm clueless.

> What's a pot roast?
> A roast cooked in a pot?

Bollito di manzo. There are some likely-sounding recipes on line,
including an especially promising one at
http://www.geocities.com/mybestrecip...litomanzo.html

--
Chris Green
Luca Pinotti

Christopher Green wrote:
> "Luca Pinotti" > wrote in message
>> sf wrote:
>>> What is the Italian style in your area for cooking pot
>>> roast? You don't need to give me exact measurements, just
>>> an idea... my daughter requested that for dinner tomorrow
>>> and I'm clueless.

>> What's a pot roast?
>> A roast cooked in a pot?

> Bollito di manzo. There are some likely-sounding recipes on line,
> including an especially promising one at

So it's a bollito?!? Boiled, not roasted...

Luca

---
Nolite proicere margaritas ad porcos

Luca Pinotti

Christopher Green wrote:
> "Luca Pinotti" > wrote in message
>> sf wrote:
>>> What is the Italian style in your area for cooking pot
>>> roast? You don't need to give me exact measurements, just
>>> an idea... my daughter requested that for dinner tomorrow
>>> and I'm clueless.

>> What's a pot roast?
>> A roast cooked in a pot?

> Bollito di manzo. There are some likely-sounding recipes on line,
> including an especially promising one at
> http://www.geocities.com/mybestrecip...litomanzo.html

Imo that's better.
http://www.italianmade.com/recipes/recipe322.cfm

Maybe just because it comes from my region.

Luca

--
Nolite proicere margaritas ad porcos

Christopher Green

"Luca Pinotti" > wrote in message >...
> Christopher Green wrote:
> >>
> >> What's a pot roast?
> >> A roast cooked in a pot?

> > Bollito di manzo. There are some likely-sounding recipes on line,
> > including an especially promising one at

> So it's a bollito?!? Boiled, not roasted...
>
> Luca

Yes, "roast" is a bit of a misnomer in "pot roast". Pot roasts are
simmered or braised, always a moist-heat cooking method.

--
Chris Green
Victor Sack

Christopher Green > wrote:

> "Luca Pinotti" > wrote
> >
> > What's a pot roast?
> > A roast cooked in a pot?

> Bollito di manzo. There are some likely-sounding recipes on line,
> including an especially promising one at
> http://www.geocities.com/mybestrecip...litomanzo.html

Heh! Are you trying to lead poor Luca astray? Don't bother, he is
already lost, hopelessly.

Bollito meat dishes can be compared to the French pot-au-feu, the
Austrian Tafelspitz, or to the New England boiled dinner, as far as the
method of preparation is concerned. Pot roast, on the other hand, is a
typical meat stew, with the meat supposed to be cooked in a piece.

Victor
D. A.'Dutch' Martinich

(Victor Sack) wrote in message >. ..
> Christopher Green > wrote:
>
> > "Luca Pinotti" > wrote
> > >
> > > What's a pot roast?
> > > A roast cooked in a pot?

> > Bollito di manzo. There are some likely-sounding recipes on line,
> > including an especially promising one at

http://www.geocities.com/mybestrecip...litomanzo.html

> Heh! Are you trying to lead poor Luca astray? Don't bother, he is
> already lost, hopelessly.
>
> Bollito meat dishes can be compared to the French pot-au-feu, the
> Austrian Tafelspitz, or to the New England boiled dinner, as far as the
> method of preparation is concerned. Pot roast, on the other hand, is a
> typical meat stew, with the meat supposed to be cooked in a piece.
>
> Victor

I think the best way for decribing (to Luca) post roast is a single
cut of meat which is braised in a small amount of liquid and
vegetables. The meat is often browned. Italian counterparts would be
manzo brasato and stufato from Lombardia.

D.M.
Christopher Green

(Victor Sack) wrote in message >. ..
> Christopher Green > wrote:
>
> > "Luca Pinotti" > wrote
> > >
> > > What's a pot roast?
> > > A roast cooked in a pot?

> > Bollito di manzo. There are some likely-sounding recipes on line,
> > including an especially promising one at

http://www.geocities.com/mybestrecip...litomanzo.html

> Heh! Are you trying to lead poor Luca astray? Don't bother, he is
> already lost, hopelessly.
>
> Bollito meat dishes can be compared to the French pot-au-feu, the
> Austrian Tafelspitz, or to the New England boiled dinner, as far as the
> method of preparation is concerned. Pot roast, on the other hand, is a
> typical meat stew, with the meat supposed to be cooked in a piece.
>
> Victor

You're right about the meat being cooked in one piece in pot roast.

But the bollito recipe I cited and others I've seen do just that.

The one I cited is identical to what I cook as pot roast (except for
the fennel, which my family does not care for).

--
Chris Green
Victor Sack

Christopher Green > wrote:

> But the bollito recipe I cited and others I've seen do just that.
>
> The one I cited is identical to what I cook as pot roast (except for
> the fennel, which my family does not care for).

You cook your pot roast in a lot of liquid, effectively boiling it?

Victor

Victor Sack

Christopher Green > wrote:

> But the bollito recipe I cited and others I've seen do just that.
>
> The one I cited is identical to what I cook as pot roast (except for
> the fennel, which my family does not care for).

You cook your pot roast in a lot of liquid, effectively boiling it?

Victor
Luca Pinotti

D. A.'Dutch' Martinich wrote:
> (Victor Sack) wrote in message
> >. ..
>> Christopher Green > wrote:
>>
>>> "Luca Pinotti" > wrote

>>> Bollito di manzo. There are some likely-sounding recipes on line,
>>> including an especially promising one at

http://www.geocities.com/mybestrecip...litomanzo.html

> I think the best way for decribing (to Luca) post roast is a single
> cut of meat which is braised in a small amount of liquid and
> vegetables. The meat is often browned. Italian counterparts would be
> manzo brasato and stufato from Lombardia.

Thank for the description.

Luca

--
Nolite proicere margaritas ad porcos

PING: aem Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 0 31-03-2011 04:06 AM
PING: sf Andy General Cooking 0 08-07-2006 11:23 PM
Ping: Luca - American style food in the CITY of San Francisco sf General Cooking 2 06-11-2004 10:24 PM
Ping: Luca Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 71 27-10-2004 06:52 AM